Katsuya - LA LIVE
800 W. Olympic Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90015Neighborhood:
JapanesePrice: $31 to $50
Katsuya - LA LIVE
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.katsuyarestaurant.com/
- Phone: 2138058797x
- Hours of Operation:
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Japanese
- Executive Chef: Katsuya Uechi
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: sbe Catering offers Katsuya's award-winning Japanese cuisine by Master Sushi Chef Katsuya Uechi at any location, for intimate dinners at home, meetings at the office or elaborate parties just about anywhere. Customize your event with tray-passed service, seated dinners or chef’s stations. sbe Catering can do it all! Visit www.katsuyarestaurant.com or call 323.525.2400 to plan your event today.
- Special Events: From intimate to grand, let sbe Events + Catering plan your perfect event at Katsuya. Katsuya L.A. LIVE accommodates up to 400 guests with design by Philippe Starck, on-site and off-site catering, custom menus by Master Sushi Chef Katsuya Uechi, and premium mixology and specialty cocktails. Visit www.katsuyarestaurant.com or call 323.525.2400 to plan your event today.
A word from Katsuya - LA LIVE
Featuring the dynamic pairing of Master Sushi Chef Katsuya Uechi and design impresario Philippe Starck, Katsuya by Starck is truly a feast for the senses. With specialty cocktails, unique rolls and spectacular sushi and sashimi platters, Chef Uechi skillfully translates Japanese flavors to the American palate. Signature dishes include Crispy Rice with Spicy Tuna, Yellowtail Sashimi with Jalapeño and Miso-Marinated Black Cod. With superb talent and exacting precision, Katsuya by Starck is changing the face of Japanese cuisine. Katsuya is the Los Angeles Times Readers’ Choice "Best Sushi Restaurant" in Southern California and one of OpenTable's "50 Hottest Restaurants in the U.S."Continued
The SLS Las Vegas is now open and taking dining reservations. Your table awaits. Book Now
The SLS Las Vegas is now open and taking dining reservations. Your table awaits. Book Now
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerLate Night Find
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Katsuya - LA LIVE - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Katsuya - LA LIVE reviews from OpenTable diners
104 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelEnergetic
hot spot (38)good for groups (33)special occasion (33)fit for foodies (30)great for outdoor dining (23)vibrant bar scene (20)romantic (17)late-night find (14)great for lunch (10)scenic view (4)neighborhood gem (3)kid-friendly (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Always a pleasureskdoc1Dined on 8/25/2014Katsuya (all of them) is consistently excellent in its food and service. The crab hand roll is to die for. I do wish they'd get rid of the couches which make one sit so low as to have difficulty reaching the tableSpecial Features:
- UnderwhelmingmissobliviousVIPDined on 8/22/2014Had reservations for 8pm. Waiting in line at the hostess table for 10-15mins. She said our table would be ready in 5mins. So glad we had reservations because the walk in wait time was 60-90mins. Funny, since half the restaurant had empty tables and there were a few outside (probably reserved). 5mins became 15mins. Our party of 3 was seats at a 6 person table. lol! How illogical and wasteful. One half of the table was a booth/bench. Don't ever sit there. The cushions are soft and VERY LOW to the ground. Maybe that's japanese style, but your friends in the chair will be higher than you! Food came out quick, beer came out last! Tried to move to one of the open 4 person tables to no avail. There are better places!Special Features:
- DTLA Dark Nights visitkatsuyafanDined on 8/22/2014My friend and I went here for the 1st DTLA Dark Nights Happy Hour and could not have been more pleased. I made reservations just in case it got too crowded and good thing I did because they ended up not taking anymore walk ins around 9:00pm due to the crowd. The food was great, the drinks were great, the services was even fantastic. My friend and I both said we would be back with our husbands. No complaintsSpecial Features:
- Found no reason to return...GlobetrotterVIPDined on 8/22/2014Both the servers and quality of dishes were highly lacking. I'm a loyal Katsuya patron but this particular location was really disappointing.
- Sushi and Sashimi is tastyOAT2OVERDRIVEDined on 8/21/2014Sushi and Sashimi is tasty but the Steak and Grilled is too salty. It would fit US Style dinner in the dark and music but it would fit with real japanese ambientSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Downtown gemMJSuciDined on 8/19/2014Excellent meal, creative entrees, great service and ambience. Can eat inside or out.Special Features:
- Don't come hungry or in a hurrybackseatcriticDined on 8/19/2014I was expecting fancy, expensive Japanese food, and in that respect Katsuya certainly delivers. The problem is you get about half the amount you expect, so you need to order twice as much! Come with a thick wallet. The service did not match the food at all. We ordered tea, but no one brought any. I finally asked someone (not our waiter), and then tea emerged. Our waiter made a point of asking when we ordered when we wanted to receive our side bowls of rice. We said, with our entrees. But we didn't get our rice with our entrees at all; rather, after we had finished our entrees. By then, it didn't matter. The slow service, hefty pricetag, and booming bass music that made it hard to talk with my companions.
- Dissappointed with Sushi Hotspot?GlendaleFoodieVIPDined on 8/16/2014OMG - so disappointed with this Katsuya. I am Katsuya fan but this restaurant needs to perk up. We were seated in a 1/2 booth 1/2 table so half high; half low. So awkward. The drinks came after all the food came out - which was too fast for a calm evening. One drink horrible - had to change. Some of the fish was questionable in taste. Scary. Friday Night - restaurant not even half full. Hint - you are on the verge of going under. But Nickolas was great. I have eaten in Hollywood, Glendale, etc and they were all great. LA Live - strange experience.
- Always Solidfoodie007VIPDined on 8/16/2014Katsuya is always a solid choice. Food and service are always consistent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food - long wait!KatsuYasushiloverDined on 8/12/2014Katsu Ya at LA Live is wonderful but expect to wait to be seated considering that you aren't the only clever person to have chosen this delicious sushi gem for a bite before a show. We went before the JT concert andhad to wait at about 40 minutes, even though we made a reservation over a month in advance. We grabbed a drink at the bar and it all worked out. We made it in time for JT but had to rush a little. Food was great so was the service.Special Features:
- RJOdiapointed123Dined on 8/12/2014Very bad experience. We reconfirmed the reservation directly with them about two hours before. We got there 5 minutes before and had to wait 30 minutes to get seated. This caused us to rush our dinner because we had a concert to go to. also for the money the food was just "blaa"
- Not a great experienceSDGirlVIPDined on 8/12/2014I had made reservations about 3 months in advance for a 6:30 p.m. reservation because we were going to dinner before a show at Staples Center. Upon check-in we were told to wait until our table was ready. We waited for about 15-20 minutes and were seated outside on the patio. I told the hostess we preferred to be seated inside but she said they would send over some complimentary appetizers until our table was ready. Unfortunately, that was not going to happen and we just sat outside at a "table" that was really meant for happy hour (patio furniture/low sofa) and not a nice dinner.
- Best place for sushi!Loves2eatDined on 8/9/2014I have been eating at this location for 3 years now and the service and food continues to be A+!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- shoeprincessDined on 8/3/2014I can always come to Katsuya and know I'll be getting my delicious crisy spicy tuna, albacore sashimi, yellowtail sashimi with jalapenos, rock shrimp, crispy brussel sprouts. Every dish is awesome. Great atmosphere and it's fun to be there with friends. A very hip place. I would come back again and againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too Expensive for the ExperienceDeliciousDined on 8/3/2014I had a sushi craving. That's the only thing that sent me to Katsuya, as it'd been rumored to be overpriced. The outside lounges would have been best, but running short on time, we didn't have the time to wait. So we were seated inside, and a VERY soft-spoken server attended us with a smile. She had to keep repeating things because it was LOUD in the restaurant and she had a very soft voice. Orders came out like molasses in the wintertime. Things were SO slow, we ended up cancelling dessert. The sushis were fresh, although not as tasty as first imagined--and they were tiny to boot? Been here (three times now), done that, don't need to do it again.Special Features:
- Simply amazing.AshCraftVIPDined on 8/1/2014We had an array of appetizers and sushi rolls and it was all delicious! Our bartender, Rodney was very friendly and knowledgeable about the menu. I will definitely be going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loud and the kitchen very slowGBTAATTENDEEDined on 7/29/2014We had a group meeting at this location. The waitstaff was very good. However, it took more than 50 minutes from the time we placed our order until the food came out. We were a business group and the meals all come out at different times. Very awkward when you have a business meeting.I would recommend this to a friend.
- TERRIBLEGKSSVIPDined on 7/22/2014I love the original, and most of the SBE versions are fine, but this location is AWFUL. food is not fresh, no flavor. A year ago I swore I'd never go back. Gave it another shot, and worse than I remember. If you are considering sushi before visiting LA Live, go elsewhere (like Sugar Fish!). This is convenient, but not worth it. WORST ever.
- LOUD!OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/21/2014on a concert night it was insanely loud. We were at a 2 top sitting across from each other and we had to yell to hear each other. It was probably the loudest I've ever seen any restaurant. if its busy, sit outside.Special Features:
- GOIRISHDined on 7/21/2014Great Location and interior. Staff very friendly, food was delicious but spending. Way to loud when full of people. I will come back because we did have a nice experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- noisy but tastyJandRbeforeGagaDined on 7/21/2014The hostess staff recognized our reservation and we were immediately taken to our table. We opted for an inside table thinking it might be less noisy, but we were VERY wrong. We had trouble hearing each other at our small table. The food was great! We have been to 3 Katsuya restaurants, and love the food at all.Special Features:
- Cave like bathroomFabmomslmDined on 7/19/2014My only complaint is that your bathrooms are like a CAVE!! I appreciate the noirish decor and the sinks were great, but it was so dark! Anyone with something other than corrected perfectly vision would have a hard time navigating. It made me think of my mom, who sees fine but has poor night vision. That would have been an issue. My experience was otherwise amazing!!! The food, service, drinks Nd atmosphere were top notch! Hostess was a doll!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Time at L.A LiveGeLiDined on 7/12/2014I have to say it was pretty good. The decor was great. We sat in the patio and it was a really nice warm day. My favorite sushi it Katsuya Itzakaya in Manhattan Beach, but this was a good spot. I enjoyed it and my kids did as well. I am sure when we go back to L.A. Live we will eat here again.
- enjoyed everythingsluke1Dined on 7/10/2014Service was outstanding! DJ Sims was a wonderful server! Also enjoyed Craigs help and hospitality! :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Katsyu-So SoHeartOpenTableDined on 7/7/2014I loved how quickly we were able to get in. The Hosting staff was amazing, the Wait staff was Amazing and on top of it all. They pack people in. BE careful as you are running to the restroom as it can be a literal dodging match trying to navigate the amount of staff as you swerve around the compactly placed tables and staff on a mission. We were in a hurry, they got us in and out with time to spare. The food was fine...if it was cheaper... but kind of disappointed in the overall taste that resulted in our $100 bill for 2. Crispy rice (2 orders) was wonderful and the Special Albacore Tuna with the sauce was delicious however the Yellowtail roll was bland and tasteless which we washed down with a Martini. Fine for pre-show. Make RSVP!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unlike most other KatsuyasMegaSushiVIPDined on 7/7/2014The only reason to eat at this branch of Katsuya is because it's conveniently located in the center of L.A. Live if you have an event at one of the venues--and, like the other Katsuyas, it is good quality sushi, good menu. However it's seriously noisy and even though the servers are always friendly, the service is always slow (possibly because they can't hear you over the room noise).Special Features:
- Great Pre-Show ChoiceHyperJJDined on 7/7/2014Great service, super food and speedy service. Really high energy atmosphere! The Brussels sprouts appetizer was delicious!Special Features:
- Service Let DownRidgeWalkerDined on 7/7/2014There were four of us for dinner, including a major client and his wife. Waiter brought three meals. Everyone was served EXCEPT my client! His meal was delayed at least 15 minutes. How awkward. First everyone's staring at their food not wanting to be rude and start eating. After about 10 minutes we begin giving my client portions off of our plates so that we can all at least begin eating. Embarrassing and awkward. Thanks a lot Katsuya.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/4/2014Fantastic quality sushi, friendly atmosphere, great service! Drinks are amazing, make form fresh fruits.Special Features:
- Great Sushi!!FoodieThatsMeDined on 6/29/2014The food and the cocktails are excellent!!! The service was a bit slow but worth it for the great sushi!!Special Features:
- Love this placeShanimack1Dined on 6/28/2014The food was majneficent and it was easy to book a reservation! I can't wait to go back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TerBearDined on 6/21/2014Went here with family after my daughters graduation at the Staples Center. It was good food with a great atmosphere and we had great service too! Very enjoyable evening for everyone!!!Special Features:
- A Positive Experienceluv2eatoutDined on 6/21/2014Excellent food! Miso black cod was exceptional. We were a large group and I love how we were seated in an alcove at a square table, which allowed us to feel like we were in a semi-private room. We were all able to talk without competing with the people seated near us. They were also able to customize the food as 2 people in our party had gluten allergies. We will definitely return to this restaurant! This was our first time at this location. We have eaten at the one in Hollywood and had the same experience.Special Features:
- Noise level in Katsuya unbearableTinainLADined on 6/12/2014The food at Katsuya was very good. The restaurant was packed as there were numerous events at LA Live that night. The dinner service was okay, but it was clear that the servers were harried. The noise level was unbearable. You had to scream to be heard by your table mates. Some people may enjoy having to yell for their entire meal (and grow hoarse in the process) but it was a deal breaker for us - we went with 8 people. I would not recommend the restaurant based upon this alone. The acoustics were awful (looked like concrete floors and walls) and while we did have our conversations, we left as soon as possible so we could go to a coffee place where we could hear each other. Too bad. The owners should pay heed.
- Great placelbalopez84Dined on 6/7/2014Food was great and servers were on point. Great choice to enjoy some fresh sushi.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- brussels sproutsmac45pDined on 6/6/2014I hate brussels spouts, but the preparation at Katsuya was delicious! Individual leaves flash cooked with hot sauce, scallions and almonds. I could have eaten two bowls. Sushi was good too as expected. Good service. Did I mention the brussels sprouts?I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dependable & fun at LA LiveJocelynDined on 5/31/2014Katsuya delivered a pleasant experience when we went with friends to see the Laurel Canyon exhibit at the Grammy Museum. I was worried about getting a "chain" restaurant experience. But the food was great. We sat outside on the patio where the noise level is completely manageable and talked and watched the interesting crowds gather for a Staple Center concert. It was wonderful to have everything in one spot. Parking was easy too.
- Great food and service2for2Dined on 5/24/2014Celebrated a wedding anniversary and thoroughly enjoyed Kastuya from start to finish!Special Features:
- Consistently underwhelmedDkamlaDined on 5/24/2014Slow and inattentive service, front desk attitude like they're doing me a favor by allowing my presence, and a hair in my sushi, this was quite an experience. When the server was asked about the dish that contained the offending hair, she responded "oh, did you want another one" (yellow tail with jalapeno). One of our "starter" menu items (ordered with our drink order) was finally served an hour later, after repeated assurance (well, in 20 minute increments) that it was "coming right up". I'd had a similarly slow service and mediocre experience previously, but thought I'd give them another chance. My bad, won't make the same mistake again.
- great experience!yummyDined on 5/18/2014We ate here to celebrate the last night in LA for my boyfriend. The baked crab sushi was amazing and we all loved the miso soup!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.