Katsuya - Houston - SBE
2800 Kirby Drive
Houston, TX 77098Neighborhood:
Upper Kirby / Shepherd Corridor
JapanesePrice: $31 to $50
Katsuya - Houston - SBE
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.sbe.com/katsuya
- Phone: 7135902800
- Hours of Operation:
Bar/Lounge Daily from 4pm, Dinner Daily from 5:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Japanese
- Executive Chef: Katsuya Uechi
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: sbe Catering offers Katsuya's award-winning Japanese cuisine by Master Sushi Chef Katsuya Uechi at any location, for intimate dinners at home, meetings at the office or elaborate parties just about anywhere. Customize your event with tray-passed service, seated dinners or chef’s stations. sbe Catering can do it all! Visit sbe.com/events or call 323.525.2400 to plan your event today.
- Special Events: From intimate to grand, let sbe Events + Catering plan your perfect event at Katsuya. Katsuya Houston accommodates up to 400 guests with design by Philippe Starck, on-site and off-site catering, custom menus by Master Sushi Chef Katsuya Uechi, and premium mixology and specialty cocktails. Visit sbe.com/events or call 323.525.2400 to plan your event today.
A word from Katsuya - Houston - SBE
Featuring the dynamic pairing of Master Sushi Chef Katsuya Uechi and design impresario Philippe Starck, Katsuya by Starck is truly a feast for the senses. With specialty cocktails, unique rolls and spectacular sushi and sashimi platters, Chef Uechi skillfully translates Japanese flavors to the American palate. Signature dishes include Crispy Rice with Spicy Tuna, Yellowtail Sashimi with Jalapeño and Miso-Marinated Black Cod. With superb talent and exacting precision, Katsuya by Starck is changing the face of Japanese cuisine. Katsuya Houston has received critical acclaim, with the Houston Chronicle declaring that “Katsuya pulls out all the stops…[a] new sushi hot spot serving up Japanese flavors with gusto and flair.”Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Katsuya - Houston - SBE reviews from OpenTable diners
- Whhhhaaayyyy overpriced like WAY!Jezebel88Dined on 7/1/2013I am all for spending money on good food for a special occasion but Omg! I don't even know what I ate cause nothing was special - The miso was warm at best - the drinks and service were Fantastic but the $285 bill for 3 of us was extreme - it's not like we were drinking Pricey call drinks - much better sushi at ouishi or RA! I won't go back and neither will my friends- It was dead for Monday night too- if it's that good it would be a go to spot for sushi all the timeSpecial Features:
- Tasting Menu is Outstanding!spikerjackVIPDined on 6/29/2013While we enjoy selecting our own items from the menu, the tasting menu is nearly perfect - cold offerings, cooked offerings, sushi offerings, desert offerings - all are perfectly prepared and an excellent compliment to each other. Particular great is the Hamachi, the Black Cod, and the grill skewers. Sake choices are generally good (though on this visit we were told almost all the good options were "out of stock") and there are some killer cocktails. We can't recommend this restaurant enough. You won't be disappointed.Special Features:
- UnderwhelmingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/22/2013I was so excited to try Katsuya and could not have been more disappointed. However, the food was pretty good. When we first sat down we could not seem to get waiters to leave us alone--had barely opened the menu before 2 different guys were checking on us and giving recommendations! But by the time we finally ordered our entree we couldn't seem to get anyone's attention. Our tab was $200, for just two people. They do not accept Discover cards, which shocked me. The valet parking is ridiculous, too. I had called to request a birthday dessert for my friend, which they did not even honor, despite making a HUGE deal about it being her birthday--one waiter wouldn't even leave her alone about it.
- More hype, less deliverytanderson1126VIPDined on 6/14/2013My friend and I expected to find Katsuya to have a lively bar / social scene and excellent vibe with modern decor and impeccable food, especially given the hype tihs chain receives from the media. Maybe the location this particular restaurant off Kirby prevents the space from realizing all its ambition. Although our food was very good (the appetizers and small bites were much better than the more substantial savory bites), the bar scene / social scene was completely dead on Friday night and the decor was predictable, leading to a mediocre ambiance. Our $210 tab (including bar) before tip (somewhat expensive for 2 people, even in River Oaks adjacent Upper Kirby) left us wanting a more exquisite experience.Special Features:
- Just go to the BarDallasite1Dined on 6/7/2013Fri nite 9pm, just a few tables seated. The Starck design is, well, stark. What really kills the perception of the room is the ceiling-looks like a church banquet hall. Sushi sampler not memorable, no attempt ay any unique presentation, just fish lined out a plate really. Other dishes equally average. Wine list is overpriced grocery store wines. Waiter disappears as evening wears on. The bar and lounge when we left at 1030 was really starting to ramp up. Go eat somewhere else (good), then just come here for a drink.
- Excellent ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/7/2013My husband is in the hospitality business in a highend hotel/resort that has very high standards...run by a chef as well. The service here was 2nd to none and we've been to a lot of places. We were extremely impressed by each staff member, from hostess to bartender, to waiter, to manager...all over the top in customer service. The food was very good as well and drinks (cucumber martini to name one) were wonderful as well. We will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExceptionalOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/1/2013The food was amazing! Tried the steak with wild mushrooms and well as the special roll...very unique and prepared to perfection!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good!BellaDined on 5/31/2013The restaurant is very stylish and modern, love the bar! But food was ok, wasn't amazing, I think it's over price. Definitely come back for the cocktails.Special Features:
- What a beautiful dining experience!KrobDined on 5/28/2013What a beautiful dining experience!!! Worth the money!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Passable sushi but nothing specialOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 5/25/2013I was disappointed with Katsuya. The bar was nice and drinks were great. The food quality was good but the portions were tiny. We were there early on a Friday night and they were already out of the better fish like toro and saba. The roll selection was limited and the sashimi was tasty but again tiny cuts, some smaller than a quarter. The nigiri was similarly cut paper thin making be wonder if they are struggling and trying to cut their food cost. I don't mind paying the premium for great sushi and of course portions are small by design, but this was a little ridiculous.Special Features:
- Better sushi available supermarket.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/18/2013Very skimpy on the sushi, mediocre taste at best. Staff appeared disorganized. Atmosphere was loud, couldn't hear server. Interior design peculiar to say the least. Should have stayed home and had sushi from supermarket.
- Looks like Katsuya but...sbhouVIPDined on 5/17/2013After living in LA for a few years and having the pleasure to dine regularly at the Katsuya in Brentwood and the original in the Valley, we have grown to love Katsuya and is one of our all time favorite sushi places. We were very excited to see it expand to Houston where we visit family often. Unfortunately the dishes look like their LA counterparts but are lacking in execution and flavor. This was our second visit giving it a second chance many months after our first horrible experience. The crispy rice spicy tuna was hard as a brick, the rock shrimp tempura lacked some of the flavor and felt like it had been made earlier that night, etc...
- Everything was goodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/15/2013We had the tasting menu. Everything was yummy, but nothing really made me feel like I had to come back. I would, of course, but it's not on my top 10. Service was great, ambience was lovely and food was good, some great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ugh!intrepiddreamerVIPDined on 5/6/2013Dont go here on a Monday. They are out of 1/2 of the menu! Don't go until after 830 or you will be the only one there!!
- Paul is the Truth as a waiter,OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/25/2013Paul is the Truth as a waiter, and the long haired female bar tender mixes the best drinks in Houston. The food is very fresh.Special Features:
- Parking is a hassle. "MangagementLuv2dineDined on 4/25/2013Parking is a hassle. "Mangagement of the property now wants all to valet park. If that is the case, won't be returning. Otherwise a great dining experience.
- Really great twist on normalAgamgDined on 4/23/2013Really great twist on normal sushi with an elegant touch. Quality of food was outstanding.Special Features:
- Wonderful food--great sushi/sashimiOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 4/18/2013Wonderful food--great sushi/sashimi with tantalizing cooked fish and veggie dishes as well. I've been to both Brentwood (LA) and this location and find the food outstanding.Special Features:
- Amazing food! I started theLuvs2eatVIPDined on 4/18/2013Amazing food! I started the evening with a delicious Burning Mandarin cocktail. The serrano pepper added just the right kick to the vodka. Try the Crispy Rice with Seared Tuna along with the Seared Tuna served with Japanese Salsa. Both items exceeded my expecations. The Striped Baze was crispy and tender. We will definitely visit Katsuya again very soon.Special Features:
- It has a modern nice decor.foodcriticVIPDined on 4/13/2013It has a modern nice decor. Parking is a challenge. Would recommend valet parking. The food was good, but quite expensive. Of the dishes we had, the crusted chicken roll was the best! Our attendant was very good and helpful. Would go back on a special occasion, but not on a regular basis.Special Features:
- The food was incredible. OurOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/29/2013The food was incredible. Our appetizers and sushi were delicious. The cocktails were well made and there was a variety to choose from. Our server was attentive and gave us excellent recommendations for our food courses and our cocktails and made sure we liked the suggestions. Our drinks were refilled in a timely fashion without having to wait or find our server even though it was a bus Friday night. She provided great service.Special Features:
- Solid SushiTikiTexVIPDined on 3/26/2013Place was positively dead though we were there for 2 hours. Bartender was terrific. Evergreen Fizz is a new favorite drink. Food was good. Service a bit hovering. Nice place but not special.
- awesome restaurant great food,OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 3/23/2013awesome restaurant great food, buzzing . Excellent ambianceSpecial Features:
- Too much noise!PaulineVIPDined on 3/23/2013Too loud to have a conversation Service needs improvement but the food is hood enough for us to have come back Not sure we will again, because it's full of big groups all very loud
- Great Time and FoodGeebeezyDined on 3/15/2013Had never been here before, but will be coming back to say the least. This is the type of place that reminds me of LA NY or Miami. And the atmosphere is what you make it.Special Features:
- First time experience at thisOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/15/2013First time experience at this fine establishment. Met up with a friend who had been there prior. Booked my reservations online; received an email confirmation immediately. The day of, received a phone call to confirm. Parking in the garage was very convenient. I would have never selected this place on my own. A bit too foo-foo for my comfort zone but this will be on my agenda for dinner plans in the future. The atmosphere is great for an 'impress a date' outing. From the hostess up front, to the bar tender to the waitstaff, this place rates 5-Star. The menu offerings were outstanding! The presentation/freshness of the food just put this experience over the top.Special Features:
- We had a fabolous dinner hereOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/14/2013We had a fabolous dinner here last Thursday night. My boyfriend and I are repeat customers and I would have to say that the food compares to the other locations we have visited. The decor is a bit different, but all in all the same. The staff is very attentive and pleasant. Everything we ordered was perfect and we cannot wait to come back.
- Go to Kata RobataOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 3/8/2013Our first experience at Katsuya was mediocre at the very best. I wasn't thrilled about going back, but we at Isle Pedi Spa for some treatments and figured Katsuya would be convenient. What a bad bad decision with Kata Robata just right around the corner. I think Katsuya wants to be that high-end, trendy place, but they simply don't have it figured out. Our table (with reservations) was too small, wobbly, and plastic. It all felt so cheap. The service was horrible! We wanted Sake, and the waiter never came back to take our order. 2 managers (Joshua and Christopher) came out to apologize and provide their business cards, but there are simply too many other fantastic places to go in Houston to even give a second or third chance.
- supposed to be an Up-scaleOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/7/2013supposed to be an Up-scale restaurant... food is good but not "amazing", restaurant area is well designed, but no new concept...and prices are definitely way too high relative to the food & beverages, you then pay min 1/3 of the price "to be seen" and for the Stark effect ! nice but not that nice !
- We go here often- but thisJoesstillthebestVIPDined on 3/6/2013We go here often- but this last time the food was better than ever! We didn't know it was possible. We also like to suggest our family secret order things to share one -two dishes at a time. If not it comes To fast. Enjoy!Special Features:
- Great drinks, not so great sushi.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/23/2013Katsuya has a great bar scene. It is not a place for a romantic date, but more of a place for hanging out with friends. The sushi was not worth the price tag.Special Features:
- Our server suggested someOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 2/23/2013Our server suggested some great food and we were for happy with our experience.Special Features:
- Everything was fantastic!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/19/2013Everything was fantastic! The GM and Asst. Manager where amazing and very hospitable.Special Features:
- My fiance and I were seatedMArkDined on 2/16/2013My fiance and I were seated an hour after our reservation. The service was slow. My fiancé’s roll and sashimi came out before our appetizer. I got the sushi sampler (which did come out after the appetizer). They put wasabi between the rice and fish for the sushi. Unfortunately, I can’t stand wasabi so it rendered all the sushi inedible. I would have sent it back but the whole experience had taken so long at that point that I simply wanted out. The California roll was good at least. Prices, especially drinks, are very expensive. I expected that but not the horrible service and average food.Special Features:
- the food was amazing. theOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2013the food was amazing. the service was great. definitely coming backSpecial Features:
- We love katsuya so happy itJoesstillthebestVIPDined on 2/2/2013We love katsuya so happy it has done well in Houston! We had to get our fix in LA!Special Features:
- Very attentive managementChristineVIPDined on 1/23/2013Very attentive management coming around to chk on us. Fun atmosphere and cocktails!Special Features:
- overpriced and no happy hourOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 1/7/2013overpriced and no happy hour with lots of attitude from bar staff when you dont want to pay $12 for a cocktail
- Meh sushi at high prices.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/5/2013The sushi was fresh but overpriced for the quality and the quantity. The menu claims to have all sorts of unique creations, but I felt it was generally run-of-the-mill stuff that has been better executed by other establishments. I have eaten at both the Houston location and in LA and honestly don't know why people rave about this place. Service was friendly but very slow, and the food was very slow coming out of the sushi bar. Our server explained that there was a back up at the sushi bar because it was busy, but the restaurant wasn't even full. I would hate to see how long it takes to ger food when the restaurant is full. Bar area is cool, so I recommend stopping by for a cocktail/ appetizer and then going out for dinner elsewhere.Special Features:
- Always love the food and greatLeslieVIPDined on 1/4/2013Always love the food and great service! The burning mandarin is a must!!Special Features: