Katsu Japanese Restaurant
160 W. Main Street
Los Gatos, CA 95050Neighborhood:
JapanesePrice: $31 to $50
Katsu Japanese Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.katsulosgatos.com/
- Phone: 4083547000x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch Service 11:00 am to 4 pm
Dinner Service 5:00 pm to 10 pm
Bar is open until 11 pm
Lunch Service 11:00 am to 4 pm
Dinner Service 5:00 pm to 11 pm
Bar is open until 11
11 am to 8 pm
Restaurant is available for Private Events.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Japanese
- Executive Chef: Katsuhiko Hanamure
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Contact: Brianna or Alex 4083540712x
A word from Katsu Japanese Restaurant
A high end Japanese restaurant.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Katsu Japanese Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
30 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance3.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (12)special occasion (8)vibrant bar scene (6)good for groups (5)romantic (4)neighborhood gem (4)hot spot (3)late-night find (2)great for lunch (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Mixed experienceTomSVIPDined on 9/20/2014Katsu is a restaurant in conflict with itself. On one hand the food was pretty good, the service was ok, a bit amateur for the price level. The interior at further inspection, looks cheaply done, a beautiful tall ceiling space, but Las Vegas color and purple lighting that made the food look dull brown. The kicker at the end of the meal, they questioned us about our gift certificates, which were given by my wife's manager for her birthday, because the date written on it was prior to the restaurant opening. These were professionally printed certificates, and signed by the former manager of the restaurant...obviously he wrote the wrong date by accident, but we felt accused of bringing bogus ones.
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/30/2014The ambiance is nice and the menu looks good, but the food didn't taste good. Everything had a mediocre quality to it. I get the sense the owner is more concerned about keeping costs low and that is reflected in the quality of the ingredients and the chefs.
- 911 to the rescue!barkzDined on 8/23/2014Took my wife here for a birthday dinner and had a great time. Sushi was very good, especially the 911 roll, a must try! Service was a little "odd", possibly a new server but overall great time. The banana dessert is outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wished it was betterOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/21/2014We expected so much more. Food is just ok. Some things are wildly overpriced. Slices of jalapeno on yellowtail were way too thick (overpowered delicate taste of fish), soy tasted funny and overpowered things like tempura role. I don't like having sushi prepared in the back and brought out - I like the comfort of seeing sushi being made.Special Features:
- Great first impressionsMissyLVIPDined on 8/3/2014Had a great experience there... Our servers were wildly attentive. I'm sure this was partly due to the fact that the restaurant was quite slow, but honestly, had some of the best service EVER. Every time we were ready to order another item, they came by. The sashimi was fresh, with generous cuts, the sushi rolls were perfectly delicious. The salads were in quite generous portions. Not only did our server note that we had toasted to our birthdays, but remembered it when she brought our desserts! Not only that, but I had made an off-handed remark about disliking raspberries, and my dessert arrived without them, even as a garnish (I usually just eat around them, so I don't worry about requesting them not being there). Can't wait to return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LucyDined on 7/20/2014Very good food at reasonable prices. Interesting menu.Special Features:
- KatsuValueDined on 7/19/2014Katsu continues to deliver amazing value. Sushi best in area for sophisticated palates. Chefs Menu awesome!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Interesting.....novajimVIPDined on 7/7/2014Went there based on the strong reviews..... Really missed the mark, slow service due to the lack of both staff and customers, no bottled still water ... "oh, we've run out" was the response.... Food was okay, but for a place trying to trade in on the Nobu trained chef, replicating some of the Nobu dishes, way, way, way off the mark. Final straw was the 8:45pm comment "it's last call from the kitchen.." I stated that I had an 8:30 reservation and the web site says you're open until 9:30 .... "Oh, we just changed our hours ..." Sorry guys, won't be coming back ...
- Nice mealbbergVIPDined on 7/5/2014We enjoyed the food and drink at Katsu. Nice service, and nice presentation as well.Special Features:
- Awesome food but nearly emptySolviggyDined on 7/2/2014We have visited Katsu on a number of occasions over the past 1+ years, with variable experiences. Our visit this past week was a much appreciated and pleasant surprise - actually one of the best in terms of food and service. (We were not expecting this as we know Katsu is no longer there to oversee quality.) My major question is why is this place so empty? Granted, we went on a Wed night and it is a large venue, but with much improved pricing and seriously good food, surprised that more people were not enjoying the wonderful offerings. Why wait at one of the local and not so good pizza joints when you could actually have fine food?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Should be betterBCS13Dined on 7/2/2014Was excited to eat here and had the tasting menu with champagne. Champagne was a local sparkling white wine and not champagne at all. Cod in miso was fantastic and the fillet steak was also very good but was served with a mountain of mashed potato...in. a Japanese restaurant?? Just weird. Overall, it feels like ownership has changed and they're not sure what to be. Wouldn't go again.
- Great sushi in downtown Los Gatos..MimiDawnDined on 6/30/2014Great find in downtown Los Gatos.. It's as close as you're going to get to Nobu in the area. Love their Uni which is hard to find as well as their Hamachi with jalapeno's which is quite similar to Nobu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Close!OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 6/26/2014I made my reservations and drove there but the place was closed!!!Special Features:
- Good food butSpecialnightDined on 6/13/2014Good food. Attentive service. BUT... We had a gift certificate from open table and the server said it was probably a fake and they has to call to see if we could use it. I'm sure the server was being truthful that they had been having issues with 3rd party gift certificates, but he should have checked before making us feel illegitimate. The manager was on the phone for 15 minutes checking it out. Then the server came back as said " you can use it THIS time". Made for a bit of an awkward anniversary dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not up to parBnoehrDined on 6/3/2014The blackened cod is really tasty; unfortunately, the service has never been noteworthy and last night was no exception.
- The following 194 reviews are from the Katsu Japanese Restaurant reviews archive.
- Excellent tasting menuLosGatosGirlVIPDined on 4/27/2014The food is excellent. The only drawbacks were the service and cleanliness of the glasses and dishes. For this level of restaurant, the service should be more attentive. I wouldn't say it was bad service, just not up to par with what this restaurant is going for. The glasses all had spots and/or lipstick on them. The silverware was not clean. I was glad to use chopsticks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really disappointingrolomoVIPDined on 4/25/2014Horrible service. Took 45 minutes to get a freaking drink. It appeared that they cut staff at 9pm on a Friday, leaving not enough waitstaff to cover the clientele. No one, including management, seemed to know which of their dishes were gluten-free. Drinks were wildly expensive and weak. The food itself was good at best; fair to poor in some cases. We'll never come back here.
- DrJimmyVIPDined on 4/16/2014I asked for a med rare filet Mignon...it came med well. Mashed potatoes where stone cold. Menu is kind of boring for high end Los Gatos restaurant.
- The 7 course Chefs SpecialJimSDined on 4/8/2014The 7 course Chefs Special Tasting Menu for $49 is the best way to find out what Katsu is all about. We have been 3 times as a treat to ourselves for anniversaries, birthdays, etc. Then we talk about it for the next 2 months. The culinary experience with the various dishes are just amazing. Never been anywhere like it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Guest CommentsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/4/2014Katsu is a very nice addition to downtown Los Gatos. It is an upscale restaurant specializing in Japanese Food.....very good Japanese Food. The prices are a bit steep, I think, but the quality of food, quality of environment, quality of staff are all very good. We enjoyed ourselves and will be going back again.Special Features:
- magnificent food & serviceheruDined on 3/15/2014Our waitress, Tiffany, was welcoming, attentive, and gave amazing recommendations. Food was superb and beautifully plated. We tried all Tiffany's recommendations, including chef specials, house rolls, and 3 desserts. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Japanese restaurant in Lgatos!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/12/2014This is the best place for Japanese food, and great place to meet up with friends. You can sate he good quality fish here. I never have a bad time at this place. It's better than blowfish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was pretty good andmh007Dined on 2/28/2014The food was pretty good and the service was great. The issue I had was that when I spend this kind of money for Sushi I expect an exceptional food and service experience. The food was pretty good and the Uni was exceptional. The issue I had was that I had ordered fresh oysters as a appetizer and I was served 3 extremely large oysters. These oysters were far too large to serve raw. In fact it took several bites to eat just one. The chef should have known better to not serve "baking" sized oysters raw. I ate them because I did not want the oysters to be wasted.Special Features:
- Delicious lobster tempuraBarbieDined on 2/15/2014Delicious lobster tempura - most fabulous tempura we'd ever tried!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This is my third time there.SophiaDined on 2/8/2014This is my third time there. First time was not great, but second time we really liked some of the Japanese food and the fish and the atmosphere was decent. This time we all got traditional meat/steak entrees--horrible! They recommended some special prime rib on a hot plate, it did not taste like prime rib more like NY steak that wasn't good. Every single one of us thought it was bad and all of our meat was overcooked although they asked how we wanted it prepared. My husband could barely eat his ribeye. The atmosphere was depressing....nobody was there even though a Sat night and supposedly advertised as so "hip." We will never go back.
- Katsu's ok for Young Sushi LoversMonthlyLNODined on 2/4/2014Feels like a cool youngster's sushi hangout... Black/purple lighting - black reflective ceiling... big bar. The green salad was tasty, but the purple lighting made it look brown. Also, tried the unagi roll - not bad.. rice was right temp, bbq unagi was fresh. Paid about $25 (tea, no alchie drinks), and I'm a light eater. I'd go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was Horrific.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/29/2014Our pain course was horrific; took husband out for birthday dinner. They bought out the wrong main course, we asked for Chilean seabass; they brought out over cooked halibut. It was like eating shoe leather. My scallops was drenched in chili sauce. Huge disappointment, last year, service was bad and food was good. This year, okay service but food was such a disappointment.
- Good for appetizers/lite plates.LGDinerDined on 1/25/2014This was our first visit to Katsu, and wanted to try the taster menu which we had seen advertised, but when I asked for the special taster menu, was told they weren't doing it that evening as they had run out of some ingredients! However, we did enjoy the food we had, but thought the service was poor for an upscale restaurant. I would return to Katsu for appetizers/sushi/lite plates, but not a full dinner. And this is what I would recommend to friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not impressedCarrieDined on 1/25/2014Was excited to finally try Katsu. The ambiance is so strange - they tried to be too much of a lounge and the lighting is so off-putting that it starts to hurt your eyes, in addition to making all of the food look terrible. Sushi was only OK. Lots of sauces on all of the rolls which means that's all you really taste. We won't be back.
- AmazingBoopdivaDined on 1/24/2014The staff were very attentive and friendly. The food was super delicious along with the bottomless champagne loved it!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Katsu...restaurant or barcjbutcherDined on 1/24/2014The food was VERY good. Our server was great, she knew the menu inside and out, had suggestions and offered to see if the kitchen would do off-menu items. 3 Negatives: 1. For a sushi place, to only have 1 sake, according to our server, that she would suggest to be served hot...just seems wrong. 2. I got the 9-1-1 roll, along with 2 very stern warnings about how hot it was along with an offer for a milk chaser to calm the burn. I LOVE spice and hot food, I was left wanting by the promise of hot vs. what I got. 3. The over all look and feel of the restaurant. Is the supposed to be a great restaurant or a hip happening bar scene? Lighting is just plan BAD! Mylar ceiling to reflex purple lights????
- Feast for the eyes and tummyMichelleDined on 1/18/2014Katsu is not just any sushi restaurant. R&B music was a nice and fun touch to their delicious dishes. New all time favorite sushi is their House Special which unlike a Dragon Roll the various sashimi are in the roll, sushi is sliced relatively thin and I believe wrapped in rice paper. The sashimi to rice ratio was equally proportionate. We also loved the Hamachi Jalapeno with Citrus Yuzu sauce appetizer! Filet mignon with BBQ sauce was delicious, but very tiny portion in thin slices, not your typical filet mignon. Banana egg rolls with ice cream dessert was amazing. Waikiki cocktail was just as delicious and refreshing with shaved ice finish. Last, but not least was their service. Our server was attentive and helpful. We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ambiance versus food and serviceeducatorDined on 1/11/2014Ambiance is an overlooked aspect of the restaurant business. When an owner is puzzled why their business is off even though they get rave reviews for food and service maybe they are overlooking something just as important. Ambiance creates a feeling of warmth and comfort and when these two are missing, customers will shy away from the business. With that being said, I couldnt help but be influenced by the cold lighting in the room. Bright LED lighting creates a cold atmosphere and makes it hard on the eyes to read the menus or anything else. Please change that lighting before it drives more customers away. I have been in this business for 35 years and I know what people want in a restaurant beside great food and service. thanks TerrySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding dinner partyOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 1/10/2014They did a fantastic job customizing a special dinner party for 8 at the restaurant. Pre negotiated price and reasonable corkage fee. Food was amazing and plenty of it for the tasting menu. Even the heartiest of appetites were appeased. Manager did a wonderful job attending to our needs. Thank you!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Goodlggirl424Dined on 1/2/2014I enjoyed eating here. I will definitely be coming back.Special Features:
- DisappointedSushifanDined on 1/1/2014We tried this restaurant for my husbands birthday. The food was way overpriced. Volcano scallops and jalapeño hamachi were excellent, but the rest of our order was a let down. We ordered a final roll, which somehow took 30 minutes even though there were only a handful of diners. The oddest thing was that there was a large table of people who must have been related to the manager or owner, just lounging around the entire two hours we were there. They weren't dining, just literally lounging (practically lying down on the booths, watching movies on their iPad, etc). Additionally, I was really disappointed that they never acknowledged my husband's birthday, even though I told them about it in our open table reservation. We won't be going back.
- Authentic JapaneseOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 12/17/2013We had a fantastic dinner at Katsu. We started with a beautiful Sashimi platter. Katsu has spotted prawns and live Uni. It was amazing. We then had a great Shogun steak cooked to perfection. The Sake was great and the service was spot on.. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday CelebrationOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/3/2013It was our second visit and we were not disappointed. Food was tasty, fresh, and creative. Wonderful presentation. Service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pick wisely. Not all the choicesOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 12/1/2013Pick wisely. Not all the choices are unique and deserve the premium prices. That said, some of the rolls were fantastic. The same with the cod. But I'd skip the nigiri. If you want nigiri, go to a "normal" sushi place. Service was good. A few misses. But in general, very nice servers and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Date Night Home Run!qt314Dined on 11/30/2013Jeff, our Bartender/Server made sure that our night out from our busy life with 3 teenagers was fun & memorable! He made several recommendations for both food & drinks, which were spot on! They kept the bar area buzzing, which made for fun conversation with our bar stool neighbors!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.