Katia's Russian Tea Room and Restaurant
600 5th Ave.
San Francisco, CA 94118Neighborhood:
RussianPrice: $30 and under
Katia's Russian Tea Room and Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.katias.com/
- Phone: 4156689292
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Wednesday - Friday: 11:30AM - 2:30PM
Sunday, Wednesday & Thursday: 5:00PM - 9:00PM
Friday & Saturday: 5:00PM - 10:00PM.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Russian, Eastern European
- Executive Chef: Katia Troosh
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Delivery, Entertainment, High Tea, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Please contact us for further details.
- Private Party Contact: Katia Troosh 4156689292
- Entertainment: Alex Yaskin, our accordion player, has been with Katia's since we opened. He is a popular Saturday night fixture and adds a great dimension to your dining experience. Alex likes to announce to his audience: 'You will never hear this on an accordion anywhere else!' And, true to his promise, he plays from his repertoire of classic accordion pieces, Russian songs, show tunes, the Beatles and Stones, and some very current popular music. Make a request--or a 'wish' as Alex calls it--and prepare to be surprised! Alex is available for private parties at Katia's and for other private venues as well.
- Cross Street: Balboa Street
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Balboa Street has parking meters operating from 9am to 6pm, Monday thru Saturday, so day time parking is very easy. In the evening, diners arriving before 6pm can usually snatch a parking place. After 6pm parking gets more difficult.
We have attempted to join forces with our neighbor restaurants to arrange for valet parking but the City has not allowed it. For large private parties valet parking can be provided.
A word from Katia's Russian Tea Room and Restaurant
Katia's serves classical Russian cuisine with a light California touch. We use fresh local ingredients and allow them to shine in popular dishes such as Beef Stroganoff, Chicken Pozharski, Shashlik and Golubtsi. Our Blini with herring, caviar or smoked salmon, Pel'meni and Potato Vareniki will satisfy any 'flour' food lover! Start your meal with 'zakuski' (little bites) of appetizers like Olivier or Vinaigrette salads, eggplant caviar and our house made dill pickles and marinated mushrooms. Our beef-based Beet Borsch or tart Green Borsch, and the Vegetarian Mushroom Barley soup will warm you on a cold day and, served cold, will cool you on a hot day. Finish your meal with a glass of our brewed tea in a silver podstakannik with a piece of Napoleon (some say the best dessert in the City), the meringue torte, blinchiki or cherry or cheese vareniki. We serve California wines, award winning Georgian wines and a selection of Baltika beers from St. Petersburg that complement our menu.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Katia's Russian Tea Room and Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
5 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (5)fit for foodies (3)special occasion (2)good for groups (1)romantic (1)Show More
- kathynphilDined on 10/9/2014wonderful food, and nice assortment of beers - Russian beer a new treat. Absolutely fresh and delicious dessertsSpecial Features:
- OutstandingFoodtripperDined on 9/12/2014Although Katia was not there, the food, presentation, and service was outstanding. Only recommendation;their made fresh, order the Neopolitian for the first course, you can always take home the dinner.Special Features:
- Great borscht, blini and piroshkiladyinpurpleDined on 7/2/2014Still the best borscht in San Francisco -- or perhaps anywhere!! And the blinis with salmon and salmon caviar are the very definition of delicious comfort food. The mushroom and cabbage piroshki were wonderful -- we took some home. Wish you were still open for lunch -- even just a couple of days during the week...we miss it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great experienceGregDined on 6/28/2014We really enjoyed ourselves at this venue. The food was excellent, service crisp and the accordion player kicked out tunes like "Smoke on the Water". This was a chance find for us. The only downside, and it has nothing to do with the restaurant, is parking around the neighborhood is a challenge. However it was well worth it. We will not hesitate to recommend this establishment to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 88 reviews are from the Katia's Russian Tea Room and Restaurant reviews archive.
- A vegetarian feastVegDinerVIPDined on 6/22/2014We had the hot Russian tea and shared a mushroom piroshki and a cabbage piroshki, the Vinaigrette salad, 2 orders of the Potato Vareniki, and the Napoleon for dessert. Everything was delicious and felt like cozy comfort food. The service was warm and friendly. We will definitely be back!Special Features:
- DeliciousLovetoeatVIPDined on 6/11/2014I had not had Russian food in years. This was a great find. Lovely service, good food. We shared a few piroshkis, had borscht and the stroganoff. Delicious. The highlight for me was the Napoleon, we split one but I could have eaten it all on my own. We will definitely be back!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mother's TeaJ9delrDined on 5/22/2014My mom's birthday falls near Mother's day, so this year I decided to take my mom and my bf's mom to Tea. The problem I face is that my mom doesn't have regular days off and my bf has days off during the week so finding a place to accommodate our limited time and serve tea wasn't easy until I found this place! We ordered a combination of things to share: Blini (Crepes with smoked salmon, herring, salmon caviar, and sour cream), 2 peroshki's Mushroom and Meat, as well as the Shashlik (sliced leg of lamb). The food did take a while to come out but it was all so tasty. We enjoyed the Blini so much that we ordered a second as well as Borsch and that was so yummy too! For dessert we ordered the Napoleon to share and we were all satisfied.
- Looked sweet but disappointedNewbieVIPDined on 4/30/2014Neighborhood appeal but mediocre food They did not have lemons!!! Strange thing to run out of given tea and fish on menu
- homesickruskiDined on 4/26/2014the chairs were a bit uncomfortable. They didn't have the sturgeon, which is why we went. They did, however, have an accordionist playing old world tunes while we were there and it was delightful. The Lamb Shaliski was excellent, the lamb very tender and aromatic served over kasha. We also had the Salade Olivier. My guest loved this version of the Russian potato salad. I would definitely dine here again. The prices are reasonable and parking is pretty good for this areaSpecial Features:
- Delicious food nice entertainmentOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/26/2014A group of us came to dinner on a recent Saturday night. The meal was delicious. They even provided free accordian player. Fine Russian food. There seemed to be a problem with the service....seemed to take over half hour for dessert to be served. The owner came out and apologized and comped it. The restaurant was quite full. The waitperson was charming. We have dined there for lunches and dinners in the past with no problems.Special Features:
- Comfort Food with A FlairPersnicketyDined on 4/4/2014While I love the foodie scene in SF, I always come back to Katia's for just plain good food. Borscht redolent of fresh beets and fresh dill -- shashlik you can cut with a fork -- pavlova with fresh berry compote ... it just tastes good. Quick, friendly service. Only suggestion? Chairs could use round pillows ... though I guess that keeps guests from lingering all night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun and unique Saturday nightrosinaDined on 3/29/2014There's live music, provided by Alex and his impressive accordion on Saturdays. We didn't know, so it was a great surprise. The food was great. Katia came out and chatted with the room a few times -- she is lovely, too! Between Alex, Katia, and the server (who I think is Katia's husband), the folks could not be better. Alex encourages conversations and it was a fun group of tables. Maybe we got lucky, but it was a really nice evening. Plus, they serve all numbers of Baltika! Fun!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I enjoyed my time here, especiallyOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/15/2014I enjoyed my time here, especially the live music.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice family experienceLanghamDined on 3/12/2014We had the Cutlets (Kotlety) Pozharski, Shashlik (lamb), and the Zakuski tasting platter. Very tasty, fresh, tender, and mouth watering. The atmosphere was nice and comfortable. The presentation of the food was wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Maybe We Were Too LateMemlouiseVIPDined on 2/28/2014I think we arrived to this cute neighborhood restaurant a bit too late for the waiter and cook. We did end up being the last table - and we should have taken a hint when the waiter said "We stop taking orders at 9" ... and it was only 8:30! We all ordered the lamb which had delicious flavors - but the portions were tiny and tasted like they had been cooking for hours. The bottom of the pot perhaps? I'd go back with someone who knows the place and knows how and when to order!
- DisappointedKceallaiDined on 1/24/2014After waiting 45 minutes to be served 5 of our party of 6 had meals but the 6th had to wait another 10 minutes. 2 diners were very disappointed with the beef stroganoff. Other diners were very happy with Pel'Meni, Salmon and Chicken dishes. The owner came out and graciously greeted us and the waiter apologized for the delays; however, the overall experience was very disappointing.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special spot for Saturday dinnerT42queenDined on 1/18/2014We had a lovely meal at Katia's and enjoyed the friendly attention of the staff. Easy yet elegant and a perfect spot for a romantic dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- neighborzmanDined on 1/11/2014Nice spot. Hard to find parking. Nice food. Reasonably priced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Russian ChristmasOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 1/7/2014I am married to a Russian and she approves of this place. Katia is a warm and welcoming woman who made sure we were well taken care of. The Borstch is spot-on. The pate has just the right amount of excessive butter -- Katia makes sure you don't leave with too few calories. We almost convinced her to take Bitcoin, and I'm almost sure she will next time. :) I love this place. Eat here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic DinnerRPM510Dined on 12/26/2013My folks and I went here for my birthday dinner after watching the musical "Beauty & The Beast" in San Francisco. The restaurant is not on a super busy street, but is tucked away in a beautiful neighborhood close to Golden Gate park. The service was appropriately attentive and the food was superb. I ordered the Golubsi for my main entree. I was surprisingly impressed. This dish packed so much flavor that I wish I could have ordered another if I had room. I definitely wanted to leave room for dessert and I wasn't disappointed when I ordered the Baked Alaska. This is definitely in the top 5 best desserts I have ever had. I will for sure be back again and again to try every item on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique, authentic, home-stylecameronDined on 12/22/2013Unique, authentic, home-style Russian food. Everything was good. The beer exceptional. Pick the wine carefully. Saturday night accordion player adds great atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Comfortable settings, friendlyOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 12/22/2013Comfortable settings, friendly service, fresh and delicious food. It's a small family restaurant, makes you feel at home. It was a little slow to start with because one person was late, then they said the cappuccino we ordered was on the house. When we ordered wine, they let us taste it first, and even filled up our glasses when our bottle was finished. We will go back when we are in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Who knew?DLauriDined on 12/12/2013I really had not considered Russian food "gourmet" in the past but dining at Katia's was a delicious, palate expanding experience! The sturgeon was extraordinary, the blini wonderful...my husband loved the herring. We're already thinking about what to try next...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best borscht anywhere!ladyinpurpleDined on 11/16/2013Katia's has the best borscht anywhere!! Other specialties, such as pelmeni and vareniki are the ultimate in Russian comfort food. Katia and her staff take wonderful care of you when you eat there.Special Features:
- The food was ok but the pricesDiner12Dined on 11/15/2013The food was ok but the prices were very inappropriate for what was served this is not a gourmet restaraunt.
- Great food. Nice service.youraverageeuropeanDined on 11/9/2013Great food. Nice service. Friendly atmosphere. No hype.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experience!kg11VIPDined on 11/9/2013We were a party of eight and treated like family. Katia is a gracious host. If food can be fun!?! This was!!! Don't miss the homemade pickles and the homemade rye bread. Everyone loved their dishes. For dessert order the Napoleon. By the way...the accordion musician was a big enhancement to the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great RestaurantDenKDined on 10/26/2013Katia's is a very special Restaurant - Food has always been delicious and never had to wait for Service - staff very attentive. I always look forward to going there. I have recommended this Restaurant to Friends and have also enjoyed their experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A nice treat after a long dayOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/26/2013I took my parents here to try Russian food. My parents normally are not thrilled getting out of their comfort zone, but surprisingly, my mom was surprised and delighted with the food at Katia's. We were kind of confused with the tea service menu, which ended up not getting after all.Special Features:
- Wonderful place to celebratefoghornboyDined on 9/27/2013We had a special family anniversary event and wanted good Russian food. Katia's was recommended and we enjoyed the visit: the ambience, the dishes and the hospitality!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mixed reviewLiveSushiBarDined on 8/16/2013The food was fine but the waiter spilled an entire glass of wine on my dining companion! He acted kind of nonchalant about it. We had to move to another table and he brought us the wet menus after we had changed tables. He didn't charge for the wine he spilled but didn't comp my companion a dessert or at the very least another glass of wine. The place was almost empty on a Friday night. It had been many years since I had been there but I wouldn't go back.Special Features:
- Highly RecommendsancarlosDined on 7/27/2013We had visited Fort Ross earlier that day and on the drive home decided it would be fun to go out for Russian food for dinner. We found Katia's on Open Table and decided to give it a try. Service was great. Food was delicious. Save room for the Napolean for dessert. We'll definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Russian Food ExperienceMOSFDined on 7/13/2013Love Katia's. The food was tasty and well prepared. The Napolean dessert is to die for. Katia is so friendly. She makes it a point to talk to every table. Parking is a bear in the neighborhood. She knew one of our party was looking for parking. She asked one of the regular guests who had a spot in front to wait to leave until I could call and tell them. That is service above and beyond.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Katia’s Restaurant is a great find.BillDined on 7/11/2013The food is consistency good and you can’t ask for better service. It’s hard to recommend something of the Menu, when everything is excellent. The “POTATO VARENIKI” are a must get every time. For Fish lovers The “STURGEON” is one of my favorite, but they also have “SALMON”. More traditional Russian dish’s like “BEET BORSCH”,” PIROSHKI”, “BEEF STROGANOFF”, “SHASHLIK (lamb)”, “KOTLETY POZHARSK (chicken cutlets) are all excellent. Make sure you try it… Bill S.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific Russian food, excellentSouthernvisitorVIPDined on 6/13/2013Terrific Russian food, excellent service. They need a dry Georgian wine.Special Features:
- Katia's the bestOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/9/2013Had a wonderful authentic Russian dinner in a charming and quiet environment. I had blinis with all the trimmings; my friend had pel'mel which she said was the best ever. Also, it was great to be in a restaurant where one could actually have a conversation without all the "bright" noise.Special Features:
- CharmingOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/8/2013Had a nice evening at Katia's. The service was attentive and the food was delicious. Notable was the chicken w/mushroom sauce, crepes with sides, and the wonderful appetizer sampler. Parking is tough, but worth the effort.Special Features:
- Go for the food; stay for SaschaGreySnapperDined on 6/1/2013I don't know of anywhere in SF that offers a menu like this in an intimate setting. Make sure to share an order of Blini! Katia herself is warm and welcoming, visiting with each table - a nice touch. Sascha is the accordionist who plays on Saturday evenings. He is an accomplished musician who can do amazing things with his instrument. His repertoire is vast. While he could easily choose to remain in the background playing Russian and other European "standards" ( Ex: "Подмосковные вечера" and "La vie en Rose"), Sascha will surprise and delight you with his arrangements of "Paint it Black," "Oh-bla-di," and, yes, "Stairway to Heaven" ! He reads his audience and perfectly blends his selections with the mood of the restaurant at the moment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I really enjoy the food atOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 4/27/2013I really enjoy the food at this restaurant. And the service is terrific. The owner is very attentive and flexible with ordering. For those who are still missing Old Krakow in West Portal, the food here comes close. And there are blinis which are delicious! The accordion music was a nice touch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- THE RESTAURANT/KAFFE DOESemanuelVIPDined on 4/20/2013THE RESTAURANT/KAFFE DOES NOT HAVE ANY PARKING. IT IS IN A RESIDENTIAL LOCATION. NO PARKING FOR MILES.