8439 W. Sunset Blvd
West Hollywood, CA 90069Neighborhood:
SushiPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.innovativedining.com/restaurants/katana
- Phone: (323) 650-8585
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Monday: 6:00pm - 11:00pm, Tuesday - Wednesday: 6:00pm - 11:30pm, Thursday - Saturday: 6:00pm - 12:30am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Japanese
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Full line of Sushi, Robata, and hot and cold specialty appetizers. Full bar. Please call RuthAnne Gibson, (310) 271-6000 to get more information on our catering & special event offerings.
- Private Party Facilities: Private room can accommodate up to 34 people. For large groups, Katana's outdoor patio seats dining groups up to 20 people and inside dining groups up to 17 people.
- Private Party Contact: Kathy Sneddon 3236508585x
- Special Events: New Year's Eve party, beginning at 9pm, with a DJ and Dancing on the patio with a Pre Fixe menu, tables available at 9pm and 9.30pm for this Special Event. Early dining available with our regular menu beginning at 6pm and ending at 9pm. More details are available at the restaurant.
A word from Katana
Katana is an extraordinary beautiful Japanese restaurant serving Robata, a form of Japanese tapas, traditional sushi, and a unique variety of Japanese cuisine. There is a Robata and sushi bar, and spectacular patio dining overlooking Sunset Strip.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerLate Night Find
Katana - Best Restaurants in West Hollywood ›
Katana reviews from OpenTable diners
88 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
hot spot (60)great for outdoor dining (51)special occasion (46)fit for foodies (42)romantic (40)good for groups (40)late-night find (28)vibrant bar scene (27)scenic view (25)neighborhood gem (18)notable wine list (12)great for lunch (5)great for brunch (3)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- Great bar scene, friendly service!CrosbyrocksDined on 11/15/2014Great bar scene, friendly service. Great atmosphere!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This place was absolutely amazing! Food was GREAT!EmmaVVIPDined on 11/14/2014I absolutely love this place! The food was amazing, the vibe was awesome. I can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a hot spot!CarlosOmar70Dined on 11/8/2014Surrounded by many available night life gems, in the heart of Sunset Boulevard in west Hollywood, sits this amazing restaurant bar, the atmosphere within this great building, which is historical and elegant, at the Piazza Del Sol, this restaurant's chef prepares done of the best Japanese cuisine I had ever tasted! Not to forget the service is carried out by beautiful people! And yet in a great way, service does not lack!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great atmosphere, not such great foodKristinWVIPDined on 11/6/2014My husband and I were on vacation from Atlanta and decided to eat here due to the great reviews and proximity to our hotel. Glad we made it in time for the happy hour. Sat at the bar and had a few great appetizers and specialty drinks. Bartender was a nice girl. Then we sat outside for dinner. The patio is beautiful and great for people watching, but that's about it. The sushi was sub-par. I've had much better sushi in Atlanta. And our server was rather abrupt and rude. Oh well! We enjoyed ourselves just relaxing and enjoying the warm Cali weather.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/25/2014My wife and I had a great dinner at Katana. Great food and service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always an excellent choiceOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/25/2014Katana has fabulous food, amazing service, and a unique vibe that keeps me coming back. Tried the popcorn shrimp - best I have ever had. The only thing I learned this trip is that it is really quiet until about 8pm, when it starts to get more vibrant. All my future trips to Katana will begin at 8pm or later. The service was a little slow, but I think that is because the server was hoping I would use the time to order more food. Nope. Katana is spendy but not out of control like other places.Special Features:
- White Lotus roll is a mustMochiDined on 10/20/2014Everything was perfect here from the service to the ambiance to the food. One of my favorite spots!Special Features:
- Not as I expectedGuccaVIPDined on 10/17/2014First of all they alwYs have a reason why you can't seat outside even if you asked a month ago when you placed your reservation. Service is not as good, training to push stuff instead of listening to what you really want. They limit your stay for an hour me ing she tells you at the front o have to have the table back at 8:00. Even thought the place was half empty when we left. On top of all pricy so .... There are soany places with good expensive sushi. Thanks!
- DisappointedskluvsfoodVIPDined on 10/11/2014Disappointing start to finish. The server took FOREVER to take initial order then didn't come back for a long time (it was not bust at all!). Food was mediocre and not worth it, same for drinks. Disappointing service & food, just what you'd NOT want when going out to eat. Loved it before, hate it now!
- Misleading w/poor serviceBlahBlahHumbugVIPDined on 10/8/2014Took nearly 15 minutes to get greeted. We asked for suggestion from the waitress when she finally arrived and went with her choices. Not once did she mention one of her selections was a Wagyu short rib dish with 6 small pieces of meat that cost $52. Service throughout was inattentive. While the scene is great for WeHo, it's overpriced for the product you receive and management was non existent.Special Features:
- perfect night at KatanaBeekeeVIPDined on 10/4/2014We celebrated a birthday and everything was great. The restaurant was gracious when we had two more guests join us and rearranged the table. Our waiter Sam was friendly, warm, knowledgeable and fun.Special Features:
- Definitely Worth a VisitMBODDined on 9/26/2014Read great reviews so decided to go while we were in LA for the night, great location on Sunset and very trendy from the looks of it. Food was good, expansive menu. Service was excellent, timely and spot on. Overall had a great dinner!Special Features:
- Exciting L.A. RestaurantHappy2dineVIPDined on 9/21/2014If you want to experience L.A. action sitting above the Sunset Strip, this is the restaurant for you. You will also get to sample the so so sushi.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A must if your in LALovefoodDined on 9/17/2014I was recommended Katana as was visiting LA from London for a few days and it didn't disappoint. The food and atmosphere were great and the staff were really friendly and gave great food suggestions as it was the first time some in our group had tried Japanese food. I'd highly reccomend Katana and I was ever in LA again I'd definitely be trying to book a table again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- long waitOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/12/2014Although I made a reservation, the wait for a table was around 30 minutes, if not more. Once we were seated, everything was great. Quick service, good food.Special Features:
- best food evershawnVIPDined on 9/11/2014katana is is always great. I have been going there for 10 years and still get exited to go every week.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food & very nice serviceAnonymousDined on 9/7/2014The food was very good, we asked the waiter for the recommended starters and the choice was excellent. The main course was good aswell. However, we have been on the terrace many times, but this time it was sunday dj-night and the music was too loud for an 8pm dinner, so we asked to be seated inside, which was much better.Special Features:
- Great outdoor dining experience!BeckyDined on 9/7/2014Dined at Katana with a group, lovely outdoor patio and excellent sushi! Service was really good, overall two thumbs up.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Double-check your billDiapatraDined on 9/4/2014Hosted Europeans, and service was good. Food is American "sushi" and ambiance is entertaining. Check your bill, and suggested tip which was 40%. Good luck!Special Features:
- Consistent Crowd Pleaser!TonyHTonyHVIPDined on 8/27/2014I can't say enough about Katana. The menu is inventive and well-balanced. The sushi is among the very best I've ever had. The service is superior to most of the best restaurants in West Hollywood and the scene is always vibrant. Don't walk, run to Katana. You won't regret it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KatanaFlochuDined on 8/15/2014We went to Katana for our "daddy and mommy" night out. It was awesome!!! The service was excellent and the food were great. I was so happy of my sashimi salad it was gooood! I will definitely go back there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- stilesVIPDined on 8/13/2014This has to be the best Japanese restaurant around and the chef is Mexican! What a great experience from the sashimi to the hot dishes. Can 't wait to go backSpecial Features:
- best hangoutshawnVIPDined on 8/9/2014I have been going there for the past 10 yrs. I love this place. Food is great. Service is awsome, and the ambiance is the best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love Katana!Foodie1Dined on 8/3/2014Katana is my favorite place on sunset blvd, Los Angeles. Ambience is always perfect and the food/service is excellent. I recommend this restaurant to anyone visiting Los Angeles.Special Features:
- three starsStacksDined on 8/2/2014Place is way too busy which makes the service not good at all. Food was good, not great. Some celebs come by. No biggie...Special Features:
- great and loudJeffDined on 7/25/2014Fabulous sushi but suggest sitting inside, preferably at the sushi bar. Outside is all "scene" which makes family dining difficult. The street below (Sunset Blvd) is noisy as well. For sushi lovers it's a must-go. But make reservations and specify inside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 682 reviews are from the Katana reviews archive.
- It is lovely restaurantAlexVIPDined on 7/24/2014It is one lovely restaurant with great food and wonderful service.Special Features:
- hip but very poor service8luv2eatDined on 7/20/2014We did dine LA menu for dinner. Hostess was great! Multiple servers (4). Server was not familiar with dine LA menu. Did not get serve rice and soup. Server was going to check if it came w/ the dine LA menu but she never came back. Ordered rice anyway and was charged even though it should be included. It would have been perfect except for very poor service. Will not go back and will not recommend and will discourage family and friends to go to this restaurant. RIDICULOUS!!!
- Great ClassicRobWatVIPDined on 7/18/2014I always go to Katana when I am in LA and it never disappoints. The food is excellent. The ambience is incredible. Keep up the great work Katana.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, long wait.Ings888Dined on 7/16/2014We waited over 45 minutes for our table - we had a booking and arrived on time but that didn't seem to matter. Once we were seated and had ordered some options to get started, we were told the kitchen would soon be closing so we were rushed to order some more or miss out. Otherwise, food is fab and a fun vibe. Quite dressy and young crowd.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 7/11/2014I had a very nice dinner at Katana. The only thing i didn't like was the hostess. I reserved the restaurant, and when i got there i asked to be seated outside. They said there was 45 min wait, even if there was 4 tables empty!!So we went inside, I didn't like my table, but still sat, and after 15 min the tables were still empty!!So I asked to speak with the manager, and he came and told us very nicely that we could seat outside. I really don't understand the rudeness of the hostess. If it's full I understand but not when there are tables empty!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dining ExperienceAR24VIPDined on 7/10/2014Great restaurant! The food was delicious, the ambiance was fun & unique, and the waitstaff was very friendly. We had reservations for 9pm but got to the restaurant very early but the hostess was nice enough to seat us at a great table on the patio.Special Features:
- Service was a let down .OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/4/2014Sat outside in the courtyard, very nice space. Food was good but service was a little off....having to retrieve wine oneself from ice bucket is not good.Special Features:
- Terrible service ended walking outOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/3/2014It was terrible I made a reservation was never attended 40 min after my reservation time and asking how much longer multiple times not only did they treat me as though they were doing me a favor by serving me they never attended us we ended up leaving I will never go back I have been there once before an the food is good but not worth the bad service the hostess was not only rude to me but to everyone you are literally at the host counter and you are Lucky to her eye contact
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/3/2014My husband and I dined outside. We tried a lot of different things and everything was great. Service was great also.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Katana never disappointsOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/30/2014One of the best sushi places in LA! Try the White Lotus roll!Special Features:
- Our favorite restaurant in LA!Hope2eatVIPDined on 6/28/2014I am not a fan of sushi, but this is the only place where I will eat it! The food is so delicious! We travel all the way from Ohio to enjoy (in my opinion) the best dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nouveau Japanese at it's finestSandaDined on 6/24/2014One of the best examples of taking modern food styles and infusing it into traditional Japanese methods and tastes. I am first generation Japanese and I believe I know good Japanese food over mediocre. Katana is without a doubt on of the finest I have visited.Special Features:
- HaifaVIPDined on 6/20/2014A great place for a romantic dinner or a night out especially that it is right across the street from Skybar! The food was amazing and the service was so good. One of the best restaurants in Los Angeles.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worst experienceLazybear15Dined on 6/20/2014This was literally the worst experience of my life and a restaurant. The server was horrible. He took 15mins to come say hi and get us water then another 15 to come get our order. Once we ordered we waited for almost an HOUR for our food to come out. Waiter kept saying they're very busy. I would be understanding of that if everyone around us wasn't getting their food, but everyone was eating except us! Finally after almost an hour of waiting I cancelled our order and left. Waiter gave us the lamest "I'm sorry" ever, as if he truly couldn't care less. Oh by the way this was an anniversary date and Katana managed to screw it up royally for me.