3600 Kirby Drive
Houston, TX 77098Neighborhood:
SushiPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.katarobata.com/
- Phone: 7135268858
- Hours of Operation:
Monday-Thursday 11:30am-10:30pm Friday 11:30am-11:00pm Saturday 12:00pm-11:00pm Sunday 12:00pm-10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Japanese
- Executive Chef: Manabu Horiuchi
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wine
- Catering: Catering is available for all restaurants in The Azuma Group. Please contact the Director of Special Events Quinn Hoang at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
A word from Kata Robata
Kata Robata is a chef-driven Japanese grill and tapas concept built on the pillars of high quality, creative food and exceptional service. Manabu Horiuchi - or "Hori" as he likes to be called – is widely considered the best sushi chef in the state of Texas. With the addition of nationally acclaimed Chef Seth Siegel-Gardner and his innovative interpretation of modern global cuisine, this dynamic duo has taken center stage as the crown jewel of The Azuma Group. Kata Robata can be the vehicle for those that wish to create a one of a kind group dinner or special menu that will truly wow the senses and palate. Those wanting to have a world-class experience with exotic and unique ingredients should consider Kata Robata their best option in Houston for a truly unique and memorable culinary experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Kata Robata reviews from OpenTable diners
- PenvadeeDined on 3/16/2014The food is delicious! The decoration is sooooo beautiful. I love this place, already went back twice within this 2 weeks!Special Features:
- Loud. MediocreOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/7/2014Sushi was great. All the other dishes we tried were blah. We had a reservation and still waited 45 minutes for our table.Special Features:
- GreatSteveDined on 3/2/2014Went for Sunday lunch. Happy hour menu provided very good value. Food great as usual.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Sushidnkelly63Dined on 3/1/2014I travel to Japan frequently, and this is one of the few places in Houston where I enjoy sushi. I took my wife and daughter on Saturday night (make reservations early as the peak times fill up fast) and we had a great evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonder Anniversary dinner!RiRiTupaDined on 2/28/2014It was our 11th year wedding anniversary and my husband and I wanted to try out Kata Robata. We had great service, spectacular food and the night was magical! Thank you Kata Robata for making our night so enjoyable!!!Special Features:
- Good food, better service.MrsMunroDined on 2/26/2014We were excited for the Mac and cheese but honestly, it wasn't all that. My spicy soy ramen was ok, the rolls were good but we were seated near a family that had a loud child. It's was good.Special Features:
- Great place for a dateSmittyDined on 2/23/2014Service was great. Sushi was delicious. GREAT selection of Sake and wine (no cheap stuff here!).Special Features:
- Simply the best!nevradleyVIPDined on 2/23/2014I think chef Hori takes the day off on Sundays, which is when we often go to Kata, but the standard of the food and service remains as high as ever. We had Aji, kinmedai, anago and chu-toro sushi - all sensational, along with uni charwanmushi, steamed mussels in sake, lobster salad, king crab spoon, slow-cooked wagyu beef skewer, snapper kama, and Texas Hamachi sushi rolls. Everything was absolutely perfectly cooked and delicious - one of the best meals we have eaten during 4 years in Houston - in fact one of the best meals we have eaten, period.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food; Needs better managementBorpoDined on 2/23/2014Food was slow to come out which was fine cause it was a pretty lax atmosphere. Needed more waiters...our waitress was handling half the restaurant and another guy the other half. Bartender was too busy giving wine to this one guy and chatting with him to bother helping us. And the other two guys who cleaned the tables and refilled waters looked kind of lost at times.Special Features:
- Love, love, loveOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/22/2014My boyfriend and I came here on Saturday for date night and we loved every minute of it. We were seated at the sushi bar and had the ten course Omikase. Oh my.. I cannot even begin to describe how good every plate was. The chef's selection was fabulous and had all the high-end items one would expect like US cavier, bluefin toro, unni, Kobe beef, etc. We both left extremely full and satisfied. It was totally worth the $110 per person. Highly recommended! This was my boyfriend's first time at Kata and he said he wants to eat here every time he's in Houston.Special Features:
- Great Sushi, too crowded andOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 2/22/2014Great Sushi, too crowded and noisy....the sushi bar is the best place to be I think....less hectic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great customer service and foodThaoDined on 2/22/2014My boyfriend and I like to come here for birthdays and anniversaries. This past experience was even better than the rest. We usually ask for 4-6 piece of sushi to be omakase (chef's choice) in which the sushi chefs give us fish that has been flown in that day. I don't like to eat fish that was too fishy tasting so they did a wonderful job of choosing for us. you will never go wrong with the foie gras and duck chwanmushi, foie gras and scallop sushi, hamachi sushi Texas style. These are a must for us. Also, I wanted to mention that we tried their bone marrow for the first time and it took a whole longer than expected and the manager give it to us for free without us even complaining. Can't wait to one back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Since I have celiac diseaseOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/22/2014Since I have celiac disease I was delighted to find menu items indicated gluten free dishes. Our waiter was also very knowledgeable about gluten free foods. My robata squid was wonderful. It was almost tender. There are great Happy Hour specials for food and drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Domo Morigato Kata RobataSidneyVIPDined on 2/21/2014So, great menu, great service - small portions vis-a-viz the competition vs. cost; particularly cut of fish per portion, fish quality not amazing, rolls loosely pulled together - lots of peanut oil on anything cooked; salad tasted like it was in the freezer. Okay, not as great as one would expect given their reputation.Special Features:
- DownhillHonestJoeDined on 2/20/2014This is my fourth time dining here over the past 16-18 months. The food was good but not nearly as good as prior visits. Either Kata Robata is going downhill or a greater degre of variability has arisen in the kitchen. The place is very popular and sometimes that in itself can lead to a decline. Not sure I will return again.
- Never disappointsOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/19/2014We love Kata Robata! They are consistent with great quality and amazing food and drink. This is our favorite sushi restaurant in Houston!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- the wait was minimal but weNobigdealDined on 2/15/2014the wait was minimal but we had reservations. the server seemed extremely busy so service could have improved, but food came out in a timely manner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cool spot, very disappointing foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/15/2014Kata Robata has a very impressive menu and I was very excited to dine there but after trying all of the food ordered, I was left disappointed; everything could have been a lot better if it was done right. We ordered 4 dishes and none of them worth the price of admission. The hamachi with jalapenos but it was incredibly unbalanced. There was too much olive oil and it overwhelmed the whole dish. It desperately needed some sort of acid to brighten the dish. The eggplant had a delicious sauce but was unfortunately still crunchy and under cooked. The bone marrow was plentiful but lacked that beef essence you expect - very under seasoned. The vegetable sushi was uninspired and overall fairly bland. I would not return or recommend Kata Robata.
- Good for business lunchDavidDined on 2/14/2014The service was friendly and the sushi was quite good. I have so complaints. Very easy to have a conversationSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Showed up for my reservationMarshDined on 2/13/2014Showed up for my reservation and was told my table would be ready in 45 minutes....Special Features:
- Good food, great serviceShellyDined on 2/10/2014This was my second visit and I enjoyed it as much as I did the first. Even on a Monday night, they don't skimp on good service. The best Kobe beef (on skewers).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Ramen in HoustonMichaelBVIPDined on 2/10/2014I like to come here for lunch to have ramen, namely the spicy soy ramen -- it is excellent. Parking can sometimes be an issue, but it will work itself out with patience.Special Features:
- Delicious Japanese FareOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/9/2014I was quite nervous at being asked to pick a restaurant for a dinner with a professional colleague whom I hoped to impress and who had just recently tried sushi for the first time. Kata Robata was a hit--both he and his guest raved about the food, the wine and sake, and the ambience. I will absolutely be dining there again and I strongly suspect that my dinner guests will too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing omakase experience!tcvanVIPDined on 2/9/2014Chef Victor (sushi chef) and chef Cyrus (sous chef) both offered a tremendous array of well thought-out and balanced dishes. Everything was catered to our preferences and requests. Our server, Evan, was attentive and happy to explain each dish in detail without any hesitation. Will definitely be back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food!sushiloverDined on 2/8/2014Couldn't be more pleased! Food was outstanding, sushi was so fresh, server was kind and knowledgeable, and I loved how they served each dish one at a time so we could truly appreciate and savor it. No one rushed us. I will go back many times!Special Features:
- New Experience with New DishesHeatherDined on 2/8/2014We don't eat Sushi often and weren't sure what to order. We had the manager order for us. He gave us a wide-variety of plates, and items we never would have tried on our own. It opened our eyes and palate to new foods. The service was fantastic. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lack of client respectOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 2/8/2014I go often to Kata Robata. I went with a colleague, first time for her. We ordered several things. I mentioned the tuna was not good. First time this happens BUT no respect for the client as usual. They put the tuna on the bill. I go because they have the fish in town but I do not understand the lack of respect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was excellent andRedSnapperDined on 2/7/2014Service was excellent and the food was very good. The Kobe beef skewers were delicious and the Portuguese octopus was a tasty surprise. You also can't go wrong with duck dumplings in a delicious ramen.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/7/2014Our experience at Kata was outstanding. Probably the best service and food we've had so far in Houston.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a pleasureOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/3/2014I love the food here. Their bone marrow is divine and their sushi is so fresh. Its my second time here and I highly recommend this place to everyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Spot for sushi and moreluv2dineDined on 2/1/2014We had not been to Kata Robata in a number of years but were glad to find that nothing has changed! The 72 hour kobe beef robata skewer was absolutely to die for! We tried a number of rolls that were pretty good but the lobster mac and cheese was beyond delicious! Such a surprise for a well-known sushi restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best omakase in H-town.LifestyleBlogVIPDined on 1/31/2014I would highly recommend that you try the Chef's omakase- there is a totally different level of experience that you may are missing. The regular menu is very good but the omakase is a unique experience. It's worth every Penny. Young and creative Chef Hori (Manabu Horiuchi) is one of the top chefs in the world right now, and this is just the beginning for him.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great presentation and authenticgordoriniDined on 1/27/2014Great presentation and authentic flavor. I had the ramen special and it was perfect for a cold winter day in Houston. Staff was very professional and lunch menu had enough diversity to satisfy the most discriminating eater.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A lata RabataGeorgeDined on 1/25/2014Best sushi in Houston! Go early if you want a seat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good sushi but crowdedHoustonianDined on 1/24/2014Hi, I loved the sushi and creative dishes. The waiter was outstanding but the host was rude and not helpful. We went last winter, and our reservation, made well in advance, coincided with a freezing night. The host didn't care about us and seated us in front of the door, we were freezing every time the door was opened, about every 30 seconds. We were so cold and uncomfortable we had to keep wearing our heavy jackets, hats and scarfs. The waiter in the other hand, felt bad for us and immediately got us a better table. All the rolls, sushi and sake we ordered was delicious. Creative dishes, good flavors, well presented. Good for sushi lovers.Special Features:
- This restaurant never disappointsOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/23/2014This restaurant never disappoints for fabulous food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and quick servicesbillwDined on 1/21/2014We went there for lunch and the service was great and the food even better. Bento boxes are very reasonable. Because we made a reservation with open table, we didn't have to wait!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently FantasticDavidDined on 1/18/2014So many choices of delicious items to choose from. You won't be disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Bento boxPeterNDined on 1/17/2014My favorite lunch restaurant! Good selection and variety of choices. Bento box is a great deal. The Kobe beef just melts in your mouth and has so much taste. It also comes with seaweed salad, fried tofu, California roll, and grilled chicken. Daily sushi lunch special is also great; always very fresh and tasty sushi.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the bestFuzzyVIPDined on 1/17/2014Freshness and selection. hands down one of the top 3 in a city packed with amazing sushi restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.