Karyn's On Green
130 South Green Street
Chicago, IL 60607Neighborhood:
Vegetarian / VeganPrice: $30 and under
Karyn's On Green
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.karynsongreen.com/
- Phone: 3122266155x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday through Thursday 11:30am to 4:00pm and 5:00pm to 10:00pm
Friday and Saturday 11:30am to 4:00pm and 5:00pm to 11:00pm
Sunday 10:00am to 3:00pm and 4:00pm to 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Vegetarian / Vegan, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Josh Musinski
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Catering: We offer most all of our menu items in large quantities for catering. Call for details.
- Private Party Facilities: Upstairs Lounge/Bar and Private room. Can accommodate 26 seated guests or up to 52 standing room only. Must purchase Private Dining package.
- Private Party Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org 8886061642
- Special Events: Birthdays, Anniversaries, Graduations welcomed
A word from Karyn's On Green
Karyn's on Green is a stylish new addition to the Chicago restaurant scene. This all-vegan restaurant, the third for holistic Queen Karyn Calabrese (Karyn's Raw, Karyn's Cooked) is located n the West Loop/Greektown area.Continued
Modern, market fresh mixology is complimented by a full wine list and craft beers.
Modern, market fresh mixology is complimented by a full wine list and craft beers.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Karyn's On Green reviews from OpenTable diners
93 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (66)special occasion (36)neighborhood gem (36)romantic (30)good for groups (25)great for lunch (22)great for brunch (20)notable wine list (11)hot spot (9)vibrant bar scene (6)kid-friendly (6)great for outdoor dining (5)late-night find (5)scenic view (4)Show More
- save room for desert4TottenloveDined on 9/11/2014I'm usually just happy to not have to ask about everything on a menu, but this was above average for any type of restaurant. Don't shy away if you aren't vegan! Sauces and seasonings were complex & complementary; breadings were crunchy; desert was rich, sweet, and smooth. Service was friendly, fast, & considerate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vegan can be tastygreat4sureDined on 9/11/2014I was pleasantly surprised at how delicious veagan meatball and crabcakes could be if cooked by a great Chef!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So delicious!KJ23Dined on 9/11/2014I'm a vegetarian who doesn't seek out vegetarian/vegan restaurants, but if all vegetarian restaurants had this many choices that tasted this good - I would definitely seek them out! My favorites were the homemade mustard and sausage, pate, slider trio, mushroom stroganoff (and I don't like mushrooms, and it was raw)! Oh and the wine, beer and cocktail selections were great! Though I did think the drinks were kind of pricey...Or maybe that was just the wines I picked out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Karyn's on GreenOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/6/2014Karyn's on Green was fabulous!! We live in San Francisco and I recently heard Karyn interviewed on a foodie radio show. So when we made plans to visit Chicago I made sure we tried Karyn's. Wow! The food was awesome! Loved the creativity, taste, healthiness. In fact, we came back the next day for brunch given we enjoyed dinner so much. Service was very attentive, knowledgeable and personable. When will Karyn open a place in San Francisco????Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/30/2014Had been wanting to try Karyn's on Green for a long time. So glad we finally did! Great ambiance and service, yummy food. We especially enjoyed the appetizers Fritto Misto and Raw Sunflower Hummus. Even though we are not big on "fake" seafood or meat, we thought the "calamari" in the Fritto Misto was great! For entrees we had the Raw Zuchinni Pasta (a little uninteresting but still good), Spicy Basil Tofu (tasty) and Barbeque Seitan (good). We prefer vegan and vegetarian food without "fake" cheese and meat, so we stayed away from entrees that sounded like meat/cheese imitations. Creamy chive spread was delicious on the tasty bread. Really enjoyed our first visit and look forward to coming back. Valet parking guy was really great!Special Features:
- SUPERB!firsttimeforeverythingDined on 8/20/2014This place was wonderful! For not being vegan, the food was great! We had a group of seven, and our waiter Blake was the best! He was polite, funny, and very helpful! Overall, an excellent experience. We will be coming back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An okay experience.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/19/2014First off, I do eat meat, and I only ever go to vegan restaurants because my girlfriend is vegan, which makes me semi-vegan I guess. Anyway, I've eaten at many vegan restaurants by now, and this one isn't too bad, but there are some issues, well, at least in my first-time experience. The food wasn't bad, but it wasn't great either, although I'd like to come back and try different dishes to really understand this place. My server was really nice and friendly, but she disappeared a lot, which was okay, until we wanted to leave. We had to get some random person to box up our food, and twenty minutes after that she finally came back to check on us when we had been wanting the check for that length of time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Karyn's GreenBehnDined on 8/14/2014I don't normally eat vegan, and not because I don't like it, but the reasons I find to go out of my way for it are very finite. Upon entering the restaurant, the hostess was both cordial and attentive in making sure that we were seated quickly. As soon as we were, our server brought us our menus, told us the specials, and even offered to explain anything on the menu that we lacked familiarity with. My date was blown away at all the different vegan options, because she herself is a vegan. I, however, had very little familiarity with it, but the server quickly and considerately informed me of everything. My date loved her "chicken" Parmesan and I enjoyed the BBQ Seitan immensely, as though it were from a regular bbq joint.Special Features:
- Highly recommendIamMBBDined on 8/13/2014Wonderful! Service was fabulous, food was exciting, space was open and airy. Stella, our server, was very attentive. We had the Fritto Misto, Raw Aged Cheese Plate, Employee Pizza, Raw Mushroom Stroganoff, Portabello Mushroom and Vanilla Bean Creme Brûlée. So good! Especially the Fritto Misto, Portabello Mushroom and Creme Brûlée. If you didn't know the Creme Brûlée was vegan, you wouldn't know. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Vegan ExperienceVeganDined on 8/8/2014Great food overall. As a vegan eater, I mostly stick to fruit in my every day diet but coming to this restaurant for my wife's birthday i expanded my intake and liked each course I tried. Great selection of Vegan beverages as well. Only knock would be a little too much oil used for everything, but i did not try asking for light or no oil, so they could have been able to do without the oil by just asking. As for the restaurant, the building had a feel of a very large and modern condo. Two levels, modern everything, and not an animal product to be found (no leather seats, etc).Special Features:
- Horrible service!!:(ABdiningoutVIPDined on 8/7/2014Service was horrible!!:( I've come many times & this was the absolute worst! They weren't that busy. To get a glass of water-let alone a napkin, straw took 25 min! Awf experience...won't be coming back!
- Even non-veg Dad loves this place!GFVeganDined on 7/26/2014Each time I come to Karyn's on Green the food is better and better. I highly recommend the aged "cheese" plate. Awesome!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love itRoniVIPDined on 7/23/2014Karyn's has the most creative, delicious vegan menu in town! Wonderful presentation, variety, and tastes!Special Features:
- Perhaps the best vegan restaurantBertoDined on 7/13/2014The subject title says it all. This is truly a great restaurant. The food is great and the prices per entre are less than Olive Garden!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Upset they changed the menuVeganCuriousDined on 7/12/2014Although not a true Vegan, I do enjoy this restaurant's tasty dishes. I did have a couple favorites which they removed which includes a Sushi item and a delicious Soy Chorizo Burger. I've also had the Vegan Ruben which is no longer on the menu. The service was great and my meal was prepared well. If you are a true Vegan and are looking for fine dining. This is the place for you. If you are a non Vegan, this is the place to try Vegan food. I am disappointed my favorites are now off the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/10/2014Great food, great drinks. Loved their version of the Treetini. Followed our evening dining experience with a trip to the bar the following day for our before dinner drinks of more Treetinis.Special Features:
- Nice people but terrible serviceChifoodDined on 7/3/2014Our server was nice but had no idea what she was doing. Our order was rushed, our food was rushed. There were so many plates on our table we couldn't enjoy our food. Our appetizers still hadn't been cleared by the time we were asked if we wanted dessert (which we wanted but then we're not given a menu). We were dissappointed and will not be returning.
- Fantastic FindkathycarmiDined on 7/3/2014We had dinner and returned for brunch two days later. We even found Karyn's other restaurant, Karyn's Cooked, and had lunch there during out stay in Chicago. Best dining experience EVER! These restaurants will be my first stops when we return to Chicago. I wish we had vegan restaurants like this in Michigan.Special Features:
- All vegan, all deliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/3/2014Loved the variety on the menu. We wanted to sample some of everything! We'll be back.Special Features:
- Great Healthy FoodLMDDinerDined on 6/28/2014Everything was great! Hostess got us seated and quickly accommodated an additional guest who joined us, the waitress, Kate, was extremely helpful in explaining the menu as first time dinner patrons, the dinner was great, the music was awesome and the other staff that assist were on top of all tasks. If you haven't tried it you should!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience as usualOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 6/28/2014This is the third time I've been here. I took my cousin to lunch who lives in the suburbs. I wanted to show her something unique with amazing food. Per usual, Karyn's did not let us down. We split the corn quinoa salad, I had a patty melt while she had sliders and we split creme brulee and a peanut butter chocolate brownie for dessert. She enjoyed it so much she said she would be coming back with her family. Service was a little slow, considering there were only 5 tables seated at the time, but worth the wait.Special Features:
- Soothing atmosphere, great foodMsMonroeDined on 6/26/2014A friend suggested that we meet here for lunch. I rushed over to make our lunch time and was instantly relaxed by the pleasing interior and the calm servers. It was the first time that I dined at a vegan restaurant and I was pleased. The food was tasty, exciting and elegantly prepared. I had a soup/salad/slider which gave me a nice option to try three things in a good portion size. I also tried a mocktail with basil which was refreshing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place to dine!NotAVeganButLoveItDined on 6/15/2014I love this place and whenever I get a chance I come eat here.Special Features:
- Incredible!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/14/2014I took my 15 year old twins for dinner. We enjoyed every single bite! I am so impressed that she is 100% vegan. I will definitely go back. Thank you so much for being 100% percent vegan and proving that you don't have to slaughter animals to get great taste.Special Features:
- Hit and MissHappyVeganDined on 6/14/2014This is the only upscale vegan restaurant in the city, so Chicago vegans who can afford it should try it at least once. It's my go-to spot for special occasions: I love the minimalist, modernist decor, and it's such a relief not to have to ask which menu items are vegan. (Caveat: I have heard that Karyn's uses honey in some of its desserts. I don't let this bother me when I'm there, though I usually refuse to eat it). But the food is inconsistent. The cheese plate is amazing, as are the desserts. Unfortunately, though, I recently ordered their zucchini pasta with pesto and found it inedible. Also, although the spicy basil tofu was okay, it was exceedingly greasy. On the bright side, I've really enjoyed their roasted portobello.Special Features:
- Perfect nightfickleparkerDined on 6/10/2014A group of 6 of us (one vegan, one vegetarian, 4 carnies) were visiting Chicago for a conference. After a long day, this was the perfect spot for great food and cocktails. All 6 of us left as satisfied as can be. Rave reviews from us.Special Features:
- Very good Meal at Karyn's on GreenlvrgoodfoodDined on 6/6/2014My daughter is a vegi, so she recommended Karyn's. The restaurant is more modest then I had expected and its location is quiet but not super. But the food was very good, the menu extensive, and the drinks very inventive. I would recommend it to carnivores as well as vegis. Very satisfying; wish we could go more often (we live in San Francisco, daughter in Washington DC).Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/4/2014We loved the food. I brought 4 non-vegans, and they loved it. A great night!Special Features:
- JayJayIVDined on 6/1/2014My daughter is vegan so we selected Karyn's on Green for our pre-Blackhawks game restaurant. The food was terrific. Those of us who are not vegetarian found the menu interesting and ample choices. I would definitely return here.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible food!HospitableDined on 5/31/2014Other than the server forgetting to tell us specials everything was perfect... Surprisingly incredible food. My wife is vegetarian and gluten intolerant so this was right up her alley but even for a non vegetarian such as myself I had an incredible experience. The food was amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vegan done right and with styleAYoungDined on 5/30/2014Overall wonderful experience. Whether you are vegan or not, food is great, and cocktails are awesome. Space is beautiful and the staff is friendly and helpful.Special Features:
- Food qualityOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/23/2014Food quality has declined. Choices have diminished. Needs new food ideas.Special Features:
- The following 989 reviews are from the Karyn's On Green reviews archive.
- Vegan at its bestDandizDined on 5/18/2014Delicious!! Who new veggies could taste so not like veggies!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Meal - Poor ServiceKristenDined on 5/18/2014We loved the food and drinks at Karyn's but are hesitant to go back d/t the poor service. For this being the "upscale" side of her brand it did disappoint in that aspect.Special Features:
- Good vegan foodChitowngirlDined on 5/11/2014We enjoyed our food---- need to go back and try something else. The crab cakes were ok , not a huge fan of breading, the side of braised brussel sprouts had too much horse radish (made my eyes water), but the flatbread was amazing! Will be back and try something else. Also want to hit Karyn's in Wells.. Also.. Our server was sweet just not that attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful brunch!frenchieinchicagoDined on 5/11/2014This was my first experience at Karyn's on Green. Both my boyfriend and I really enjoyed it. We had delicious mocktails (non alcoholic cocktails) and were very satisfied with the food we ordered. I had the crab cakes, which were very tasty, and I particularly loved the hash-browns which came as a side. My bf had a veggie burger and rated it the best in the city. Service was attentive but not overbearing. The dining room is very bright and airy and makes for a very nice atmosphere. Now we want to try Karyn's for dinner!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/11/2014Meatball sliders a bit dry, but everything else was great. Service occasionally charmingly clumsy.Special Features:
- Hit and miss vegan fareKindaveggieDined on 5/10/2014I went to Karyn's with two friends, and while it was a good time, there were a few definite misses. The raw curry had no curry flavor--apparently the flavor doesn't come out with the cooking method. The stuffed parsnip was good on the outside, but not cooked all the way through. The raw lasagna and BBQ seitan were very good. The waiter was very attentive and the drinks were tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Who knew veggies could be so good!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/9/2014Picked this place to go to lunch with a friend one workday. Boy we're we happily surprised! Great and innovative food - didn't miss the meat at all. I will definitely be back!Special Features:
- Unkept promise...DaneVIPDined on 5/4/2014Went here for anniversary dinner. Intrigued by monikor "Making vegan sexy." Some of the food very good (so-called 'Meatball slider' too good for words), some so-so . Wine list small but interesting. Beautiful space, high ceilings, beautiful light, two levels. tasteful, restrained decor. Details poor. Mediocre service. Floors unswept. Washroom not good. We value vegan cooking. While there has been a lot of thought put into the setting, operationally it has a long way to go. 'Sexy' is more than just the setting.Special Features: