Karma Restaurant & Bar
114 Chestnut Street
Philadelphia, PA 19106Neighborhood:
IndianPrice: $31 to $50
Karma Restaurant & Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.karmaphiladelphia.com/
- Phone: 2159251444x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday: 4:30pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 12:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Indian
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wine
- Private Party Contact: Jiji Thomas 2159251444x
A word from Karma Restaurant & Bar
The idea for Karma was born out of the simple premise of providing superior quality traditional Indian Cuisine, great ambiance and friendly, efficient service. Karma has worked exclusively with the local talent from Philadelphia.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Karma Restaurant & Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
17 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (10)good for groups (7)neighborhood gem (7)romantic (6)special occasion (5)great for lunch (2)Show More
- Home RunregularVIPDined on 9/25/2014food and service were beyond expectations. We have eaten Indian food many times and in many locations and almost all experiences were above average. This evening we reached the highest level of food preparation and service. Extra caring and friendly were all the staff members - smiles galore !!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reliably goodYumYumVIPDined on 9/7/2014Tasty Indian food, patronized by lots of Indian diners. Excellent service. A nice prix fixe, too.I would recommend this to a friend.
- hit the spotOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/6/2014good Indian food, nice size portions and excellent variety. The lamb kabobs were excellent, so tender and flavorful! The Saag Paneer was perfect - just the right amount of heat and flavor. I can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- ShepjkShepjkDined on 8/23/2014We arrived right when the place opened and it took over 45 minutes before we got our food. Food was good.
- Good Karma!QueenofCuisineDined on 7/25/2014Took a chance and dined in for my best friends birthday. I love Indian cuisine but she was not familiar with the dishes. Our service was so excellent! Our waiter was very patient and answered any and all questions we had about the menu. Our food was fresh and very delicious. With karma like this we musr be a great group of people!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!MamaCDined on 7/21/2014My family and I have been to Karma twice at different times of the year. Each time everything was outstanding! Some of the best food I've ever eaten.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great experience!CintchiDined on 7/19/2014I recently celebrated my birthday here. From the moment I walked in the door, the hostess greeted me with a warm "Happy Birthday!", she was friendly and welcoming. When my boyfriend and I were seated, our glasses were filled immediately and a candle was lit. We ordered naan, Lamb Chettinad and Paneer Tikka Masala. I was told that there are different spice levels like spicy, indian spicy and a spice level even higher than that, I ordered my dish at spicy and when I got my order, I realized I could've gotten a higher spice level, but that's because I love spicy food and it was my first time at Karma. The staff was very attentive and informative. I was later surprised with a song and mango Kulfi! Karma is YUMazing! I will come back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but noisyNonprof8VIPDined on 7/18/2014This was the second tome that I have been to Karma for a workday lunch, and had the buffet each time. The food was very good -- the Naan bread and the butter chicken in particular. Problem is, the place is so dark and noisy that you can't have a conversation, and to seat three people you end up in the back near the buffet with people bumping into your chair and the edges of your table all the time. I will certainly go back for the food -- but only on a day when I am feeling serene and won't be annoyed by the noise and jostling, and one of my lunchmates swore he'd never go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite Indian in Olde CityToni09Dined on 7/12/2014My go to spot for great Indian food. You can customize your spice level which is awesome and the food is always yummy. Good place to dine solo or with a small group.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FavoriteFoodluverVIPDined on 7/8/2014Karma is one of our favorite restaurants, and probably the one we go to most often.Special Features:
- Excellent authentic Indian cuisinePMax1230Dined on 7/5/2014Had great service. We were not very familiar with the cuisine but our waiter Ronny walked us through the menu and gave us great recommendations. Will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CeneVIPDined on 6/21/2014No matter how often we eat here, we always look forward to returning! It is the BEST.Special Features:
- Good food nice staffyesiamDined on 6/14/2014If you are looking for Indian food - go here. We had Kofta, Chicken Tikkan Masala and a Lab dish - all were as good as we have had anywhere else. Bartender was a lot of fun to talk with and had a great knowledge of all the dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 67 reviews are from the Karma Restaurant & Bar reviews archive.
- Good Indian Food in Old TownSJScarletDined on 5/24/2014I hadn't been to Karma for several years, and they changed ownership in 2011. I found the experience, the food, and the service to be a pleasant surprise. The restaurant competition in the area is intense, with many choices, but there aren't Indian restaurants, so its great to have a good Indian restaurant to go to when we're in Old Town for a movie or a play.Special Features:
- nice variety with great tastesJaySVIPDined on 5/23/2014great tasting and nice variety in menu, food was yummy.
- Great Energy and Indian Food!NewZagats2VIPDined on 5/14/2014Especially the biryani and the bread with pistacchio!! Mango lassi and tea! ...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent dining experience!RobertDined on 5/9/2014We love Indian food when we can find a quality restaurant, and Karma definitely met the mark. From the naan to the lamb and chicken dishes we ordered, the food was truly great. Staying in a hotel, we knew we couldn't take anything with us, so we gave it our all not to leave much on the table. Wine prices were reasonable, and service was very attentive. Our waiter is from southern India and knew a lot about the food we were eating and on the menu. We are going back another night during our trip...it was that good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful food!Babybooh1973Dined on 4/18/2014The food was wonderful! Will definitely go back. Probably a monthly dining for us.Special Features:
- Outstanding!MamaCDined on 4/12/2014My family loves Indian food and the food at Karma was some of the best food, of any type, that I've ever tasted. The service was excellent as well. We were celebrating my daughters birthday, but did not specifically say anything to the waitstaff. They picked up on it through snippets of our conversation and brought out a celebratory dessert and music. They were attentive to our needs without being overbearing or intrusive. Love, love loved it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch buffetpshizzDined on 4/12/2014Went here on Saturday at noon for lunch. It was quiet and the buffet was fresh and inviting! Everything was very tasty!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- If its Karma, it must be Philly!CraigVIPDined on 3/22/2014Better and better with each visit. For me, it's a Philly must every couple of months or so. Terrific staff, excellent food, eclectic crowd. Chicken tiki Marsala! The naan bread with garlic, did I mention the phenomenal staff?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was AMAZING! Was turnedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/22/2014Food was AMAZING! Was turned off by Indian food years back...but this restaurant turned me back on. Definitely recommend.Special Features:
- Very nice placetravelgirlDined on 2/21/2014Nice place! I really enjoyed dinner here. The service was excellent, really outstanding. The lamb vindaloo was a little too spicy, which the waiter asked about and then brought this delicious yogurt sauce (kind of like the Greek tsaziki) which cooled it down and was delicious on its own. He also gave us a great recommendation for dinner, the chicken paneer. I'd definitely like to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Time Indian Diner1sttimeDined on 2/15/2014I took my girlfriend here for Valentine's Day and it was excellent. We wanted to try something different and neither of us had ever had Indian food. Our waiter was a little soft spoken and at times it was difficult to hear him. I think he was trying to keep that intimate ambiance. He was very courteous and helpful when we were trying to decide on what to eat. I would definitely recommend this place if you like spicy food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It Was GoodVDayDined on 2/14/2014It was really good. I'm an Ekta creature, it's closer to home for me and has proven delicious every time. When it comes down to the food, all else aside, I would now out Karma at the top of my Indian Food list here in Philly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Average Valentine!OccasionaldinnerDined on 2/14/2014So it was valentines night, and that shouldn't be an excuse, in fact it should mean the opposite, they didn't have enough staff! After arriving and bring seated it took 10 mins for us to be welcomed and offered a drink. The food was ok, nothing special. the biggest disappointment was having been seated near the bar / waiting area, we had people stood right next to our table, looking at our food and just wasn't very nice for a normal meal let alone a special occasion, I am sure down the other end the experience would have been different. The waiter brought our food out and hadn't collected the previous plates, so there was this very awkward exchange as the table was small. The cutlery wasn't replaced once, which over 5 dishes was Surprising!
- Great find!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/25/2014We went to Karma before heading to the Ritz Five for a movie. The food was amazing and the staff is quick and courteous. Our food came quickly and we were able to specify the level of spice in our meal. I would definitely go again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This was our first time toOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/7/2014This was our first time to this restaurant. When we came in we were sat right away. It was a Tuesday night and my partners birthday and he wanted Indian food. I ordered the lamb Kamora and my partner ordered the Chicken titka masala. We shared both of these dishes. They were very very good! the chicken and lamb were cooked to perfection. The accompanied sauces was very tasty. They actually ask you what level of hot would actually like. They have like 4 levels of hotness. LOL! WE chose the medium level and was very pleased. The spice was hot enough to compliment the food without being over powering. A very good experience we will be back, SOON!! They offer a buffet lunch everyday and we want to try that to taste the varied dishes they offer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Went here for NYE and I haveOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/31/2013Went here for NYE and I have to say it was a pleasant experience. Service was average and nothing special or unique but it was not bad and that means more to us. Bad service ruins resteraunts. Food was excellent,authentic and flavorful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MmmmRHelpDined on 12/28/2013Very delicious food. Server was a little quiet and we couldn't hear his explanations well, but that didn't detract from the service. Would definitely go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of our favoritesCeneVIPDined on 12/22/2013The food and the service have consistently been outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/9/2013I have been to Karma many times over the years, mostly at lunch when there is a great buffet for about $10 or so. The food is always very good, especially for the non - Indian palate (I.e. not too hot!) I have been for dinner 3 times and the food is even better than at lunch. We are always treated well by the staff, and leave with enough leftovers for a couple more meals! Highly recommend this restaurant if you are in Old CitySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid Indian FoodFancyVIPDined on 12/7/2013First time at Karma. The food was very good. The location is great for a reasonable Old City meal. We both enjoyed our dishes a lot and we will be back!Special Features:
- Very Nice Experiencebliss610Dined on 12/6/2013Just what we needed on a cold rainy night before the theatre 2 blocks away. We were a group of 6 with a reservation, so we got the roomy semi-circular booth with curtains draped on either side at the back of the restaurant. In our 60s, so nice lighting and ability to hear ourselves were big pluses. Waiter was attentive, friendly, happy to explain things (more than once!), price was fair and servings just right. We were late due to weather, but they got us out on time for curtain, no problem. Different dishes - naans, raitas, korma, tikka masala,- all delicious, easy to share. Other tables for 2 & 4 are a little cramped as house is narrow, but still the place is warm, friendly, & experience is very good and pleasant. Look for coupons too!Special Features:
- Great place to eat!LalitaDined on 11/22/2013Really good food, fairly inexpensive, large portions, excellent service...this place was fantastic! I would definitely recommend it to anyone looking to try Indian food for the first time or find a solid reliable Indian restaurant to become your new staple Indian restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KarmaOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/17/2013Great restaurant, great service, and great food! Authentic Indian food! Chef even brought us complimentary dishes, how awesome :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Old City IndianOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/9/2013Can't go wrong with this choice. The food was very good -- and plentiful. My wife, who lived in India for six months, said the food was authentic. The wait staff was extremely friendly and went out of their way to make sure we were enjoying ourselves. The decor is simple and unpretentious. The prices are reasonable. The restaurant is within easy walking distance to anywhere in Old City.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall Positive ExperiencesoxfanDined on 10/12/2013The neighborhood that Karma is located in is fun and lively with lots going on, and there is a public parking lot right across the street. Upon entering Karma I was pleased with the overall look of the restaurant, and we were greeted immediately and taken to our table. The restaurant was about 3/4 full. Unfortunately, it took a very long time for our server to approach our table and take a drink order, which is a pet peeve of mine. I don't like waiting for my cocktail! After that, however, our server was very attentive and pleasant. We thought the food was very good, well seasoned and flavorful. We also thought that it was reasonably priced. In spite of having to wait quite a while for a drink, we would definitely go back to Karma.
- Consistently above parCraigVIPDined on 9/21/2013Had a great meal/evening this past Saturday. Mani was a great guide as before. Chicken tikki and buttered bread-excellent. You should go!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good indian foodenjoy2dineDined on 9/13/2013The food was good but I have had better. I ordered chicken briyani and thought unusual to have to cut the chicken with a knife. Usually very tender. Little too spicy but that is just my taste. My husband had chicken tandoori but had to cut that with a knife too. Maybe I am too picky about that. The service was outstanding. All service people very attentive.