2201 14th St NW
Washington, DC 20009Neighborhood:
U Street Corridor
GreekPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://kapnosdc.com/
- Phone: 2022345000x9
- Hours of Operation:
Bar open between 3pm-5pm on Saturday-Sunday
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Greek
- Executive Chef: Mike Isabella
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Mike Isabella Concepts offers Greek catering in the style of Kapnos. Please email email@example.com for more information.
- Private Party Facilities: Kapnos can accommodate groups of 40 to 50 for private events. Food and beverage minimums may apply. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss menus and pricing.
Email is preferred first method of contact or call us at 202.234.5000 Ext 5 to leave a voicemail for our events coordinator.
- Private Party Contact: Events Manager x
- Cross Street: 14th St & W St, NW
- Public Transit: Kapnos is located 3 blocks from U Street/African-Amer Civil War Memorial/Cardozo metro station (13th st & U st exit)
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Kapnos offers Valet Parking Thursday, Friday, and Saturday beginning at 5:00pm outside the W Street entrance. Please note that Valet Service ends at close of service and is $15 per vehicle. Street parking can also be found nearby.
A word from Kapnos
Chef Mike Isabella opened Kapnos along the Fourteenth Street Corridor in July 2013. Isabella draws inspiration from Northern Greece to create a menu of spreads, breads, vegetables and other small plates, including his signature wood-grilled octopus. Two wood-fire grills with rotating spits and a large oven for stone-baked flat breads service the 160-seat restaurant. Guests enjoy carvings from whole animals that have been spit-roasted all day, including lamb, goat, duck, chicken, and suckling pig. Kapnos is open for dinner seven nights a week.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Kapnos reviews from OpenTable diners
326 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (239)neighborhood gem (116)great for outdoor dining (114)good for groups (114)hot spot (110)special occasion (93)vibrant bar scene (79)notable wine list (63)romantic (52)great for brunch (35)late-night find (12)great for lunch (11)kid-friendly (6)scenic view (2)Show More
- Great FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/19/2014Went for book club brunch. Great place to share food and chat books.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Greek Food!OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 10/18/2014My boyfriend and I were looking for somewhere to go around 14th and U around 10pm. We didn't want to go to a bar to get food so we checked OpenTable and found Kapnos. We've walked by it quite a few times and decided to give it a try. We loved the taramousalata and the flat bread that comes with the spreads. The prices for the mezze plates are a bit expensive, but it comes with more food than you'd expect for mezze. We also had the spit roasted chicken which was phenomenal. The service was a bit slow (it was a busy Saturday night) and the noise was pretty loud, but the food was delicious and the atmosphere was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/18/2014Really liked the Greek-inspired small plate format. The food was inventive and superb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Less than expected.MagentagirlVIPDined on 10/18/2014The menu is interesting but the flavor doesn't always shine through.. And our goat and lamb places were pretty fatty...never pleasant having to clandestinely remove inedible food from your mouth. Bummer!
- High Class yet ComfortableOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/18/2014Two flaws, I made a reservation requesting a both and was first shown to a table. The gentleman that brought the can of Mythos beer spilled it while pouring it into a glass and (although he did wipe up the mess) didn't finish the pour or replace with a full beer. Everything else about the evening was exceptional. The waiter got our orders in a fashion that brought the multiple tasting plates in the order we requested, without long delays between courses. Food was spectacular, as were the house wines.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/16/2014Kapno's continues to be an excellent restaurant. Our party shared a whole fish and 3 sides with a bottle of wine. Great food, preparation.Special Features:
- Seriously good foodMaxieVIPDined on 10/16/2014Booked here on Thursday evening after seeing this on the Eater Hotlist for Washington, DC. We were offered seats at the kitchen counter, something we really enjoy as you can usually interact with the chef while dining. George, the chef, barely greeted us, and really did not interact with us at all, even when we asked him direct questions. And it was not like he was super busy all the time... The food however was fantastic. We ordered the chef's tasting menu and they were happy to oblige our dietary restrictions. We watched the food go out and it all looked amazing. We had fish, great vegetables, and the most wonderful roasted goat. The desserts were great too.Special Features:
- Great food, excellent serviceKB20005VIPDined on 10/14/2014The food at Kapnos is always excellent. Very inventive cocktails, too. And, it's a nice atmosphere with good service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience!InpajamasDined on 10/11/2014Had a fantastic meal at Kapnos with my fiancée. The phyllo pies were amazing and the service was impeccable. If you order a lot the bill can add up quickly, but the food was so tasty we both thought it was worth it and would definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OKDCdinerVIPDined on 10/10/2014I expected more from Kapnos that I got. Drinks are overpriced and undergood, food was fine but not great. I won't be rushing back.Special Features:
- Not the waiters faultcaraVIPDined on 10/10/2014The food took a long time but it's a busy place and we understood that. One item took an incredibly long time so our waiter asked if he may buy us a glass of wine each. We said yes and then when the bill came the wine was on there. The waiter said that management had decided that our wait wasn't long enough and should therefore charge us. What an incredibly rude way to handle the situation. We did not order the wine. We were given the wine and then charged for it. There is no way I would go back to this restaurant.
- overratedgreatmealVIPDined on 10/7/2014Service was good, restaurant itself is beautiful. Food was just ok. Poorly seasoned and just kinda blah. Cauliflower dish was a little greasy which we weren't expecting.
- Great DiningbsyoungDined on 10/4/2014Both the food and the service were outstanding. Might have paced the food a little slower, but the meal was greatSpecial Features:
- bobwVIPDined on 9/30/2014Had been looking forward to going to Kapnos for quite some time. Have eaten at G several times and really enjoyed it. Found the food very underwhelming. We shared lots of dishes and only one or two were really good. Too many other great places in town.Special Features:
- Food is outstandingJfarDined on 9/29/2014The lamb is phenomenal and all side dishes ordered to support the lamb are equally delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious and fun!kbl83Dined on 9/27/2014We loved our meal at Kapnos. The shared plates are all amazing and we got to watch the meat being prepared while we ate. What a great restaurant!Special Features:
- Great Greek tapasSnootyfoodieVIPDined on 9/27/2014Loved the house made lemonade cocktails. Lamb tacos were the best!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food! Meh service.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/26/2014It was a bday dinner w/ a large group of first-timers. We received no welcome or menu explanation but just "Do you have any questions?" Our first order was quick & sizable: 3-spread sampler & 10 mezze. Food came all at once and spreads hit the table last (no sense!). We added 3 more dishes which then came 1 by 1. Good company and amazing food meant we needed minimal service, but while wine service was good, there was no water service. Dessert came with a candle, which was nice. Surprisingly, the bill included 20% auto-gratuity (not the typical 18%). Is that still legal in DC or even listed on the menu? Overall, the group was very impressed with the food and would go back for that. However maybe next time I'll sit at the bar instead.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/26/2014Food was great as was the service. Try the kegged lemonades. Delicious. Lamb shoulder was outstanding.Special Features:
- BJ and Bob at KapnosrollomossVIPDined on 9/24/2014Our first visit--an early dinner Wednesday (24 Sep). Ordered 2 small dishes: octopus and baby goat. Entree: roast chicken with lemon potatoes. Server, Andres (from Venezuela). Andres explained the menu clearly without adding a bunch of foodie adjectives. The octopus was grilled to a delicate crisp. So good we wished we'd had the rest of the animal. Lean, juicy chunks of goat fought the octopus to a tie. The roast chicken (1/2) accompanied by small new potatoes with a delicate lemon flavor. Delicious. Service prompt without being hurried or intrusive. Tip well-earned. (30%+) We definitely will return as soon as possible.Special Features:
- Great food but...HeatherDined on 9/23/2014I loved everything about this place but the night we went they were setting up for a private event and essentially pushed us out of the restaurant. People we're trying to take our food away before we were finished with it and weren't very nice about it. We were also told the kitchen was closing at 8:30, b4 we had even ordered our second round. I would go back again bc I loved the food, but the whole experience left yet another bad taste in my mouth for Mike Isabella and his empire.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceeded my expectations!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/22/2014Everything from the staff to the food was perfection. I'm Greek and hard to please when it comes to Greek food, and this place nailed it. BRAVO!Special Features:
- Special food!LizRLDined on 9/21/2014Every dish we tasted was delicious ... and we tasted a lot of them because everything sounded so good. The waiter looked a little astonished. Do be careful because little plates can add up. Don't miss the octopus.Special Features:
- Good greekOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/20/2014This was my second time at the restaurant and it did not disappoint. The portion sizes on the small plates are decent so 5 plates were enough for 2 people. The food was well prepared and had a good blend of flavors. I am not a fan of Mike Isabella's other restaurant Graffiato but Kapnos is excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- this place rocksglenn66dcVIPDined on 9/19/2014The food here is really fantastic. Especially like the goat. Have yet to have a bad dish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Average food for priceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/19/2014Expensive restaurant feeding of the 14th street boom. Food service a little slow, and the prawn dish in particular is awful. The best of the menu is the dessert. Staff at reception were gruff. We won't be back.Special Features:
- Great eveningPeterDined on 9/18/2014I have been to Kapnos several times and the food and service have always been great. Started off with delicious cocktails (recommended by the server) and then moved on to red wine with the food. The eggplant dip and the taramasalata are favorites. The server recommended the duck phyllo pie and the greek fries (made with chick pea flour instead of potato) which were both hits. We also had the charred octopus, lamb and suckling pig. The only disappointment was the cauliflower (which was cold) and the server offered to bring anothe rone but we declined so she took it off the bill. Desserts - panacotta and the cherry ice cream - topped off a great meal.Special Features:
- 4 hits; 1 missNotCsitsmaVIPDined on 9/15/2014Small plates are good overall - but of the 5 we ordered there was one miss. Fava beans with corn was listed on the menu. While fava beans was the first-listed ingredient on the menu, one would expect the dish to contain fava beans primarily. However, the dish appeared to be 100% corn. Perhaps there were beans inside the dish but they were crushed and pulverized if they were present at all. There was no hint of any presence or taste of fava beans. This dish needs reworking. Nobody wants to pay $10 for a dish of mushy corn.I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2 for 2la2ralusDined on 9/15/2014Second time to visit Kapnos, and the food has been consistent each time. Well made, well seasoned, truly delicious. Lamb tartar was quite nice, the grilled octopus is always a favorite, and the goat, well, divine. If there was one thing less than stellar, it was the service. It was good, but it wasn't as good, as the first time we visited. That being said, she was attentive, patient, and accommodating - which we truly appreciate. Look forward to dining at Kapnos again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- branzinoDined on 9/14/2014Amazing! Robin, our server, had the perfect balance of checking in with us and not interrupting. The food is incredible. Subtle and beautifully blended flavors. Ate at Kapnos or G sandwish shop 3 times in 3 days of our visit. Each meal a surprise and delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very accommodating!EAG3Dined on 9/14/2014I had Sunday brunch here with a small group (5 women) as a surprise mini-bridal shower for a friend. The restaurant was very accommodating in finding a space that worked for us, along with arranging to have a bottle of champagne delivered to the table when we were seated by the sister of the bride who wasn't able to attend. I've eaten here before and the food has been delicious, but this time I went lighter with the scrambled eggs, and there wasn't much to them. Several others had the omelet and the oven baked eggs, which they really liked. Overall, a great experience and I'll certainly be back...for the spreads, gyro, and bloody marys!Special Features:
- Excellent Foodlovelyinparis76VIPDined on 9/11/2014I liked everything I ordered and the waiter was extremely helpful. The portions are great and are meant for sharing so don't go alone.Special Features:
- Great atmosphere and foodBareeKDined on 9/9/2014This was my first restaurant in DC area and what an impression it was, I loved the atmosphere, food and friendly serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- uncommunicativeDined on 9/9/2014Too loud. The phyllos were fantastic--out of sight. The sausage was mediocre, as were the grape leaves. All else was very good.
- Sophistication in U Street/LoganMmfdcVIPDined on 9/7/2014Delicious and inventive eastern mediterranean food. Super for grazing with groups. Sophisticated take, attentive service and still lively atmosphere. Nice selection of Greek wines.Special Features:
- Great taste and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/5/2014We enjoyed a great birthday night, the food was delicious and the service was great!Special Features:
- Great for a FoodieOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/5/2014Time tested hearty recipes presented with finesse, beautiful wine selection, a bit noisy (all surfaces are smooth creating a loud restaurant) Overall will definitely go back and recommend.Special Features:
- Best Mediterranean food in DCReluctantFoodieDined on 9/2/2014My boyfriend and I have been working on going to the 25 "Best of DC" restaurants and, so far, Kapnos has outpaced them all. The food was absolutely unreal. Highlights are the taramosalata (incredible flavor, not overpoweringly salty or fishy, unlike other places), the goat, the red snapper, and the stuffed pepper. The portions are the perfect size for sharing - just enough to really experience the food but not too much that you're stuffed. Finally, the wine is delicious. Our waitress (who was lovely) recommended a fabulous white that paired perfectly with the food. The noise level is a bit loud for my taste, but it's not above average for trendy DC restaus. Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- jgronerVIPDined on 8/31/2014Some dishes were truly outstanding and up to the hype: the chickpea fritters, sea bass and baklava stood out. The cauliflower tasted too much of the cooking gas, or so said my fine-dining companion. The excellent waitress gladly replaced it. The place can be a bit noisy but we were tucked away in a corner, so very little noise there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always good, creative, diverseLenHVIPDined on 8/31/2014Love the diversity and mixes. Been there 6 times and haven't repeated anything, would eat everything again. Still have some more to go through before we start over from the top. They could control the noise a bit more.Special Features: