2201 14th St NW
Washington, DC 20009Neighborhood:
U Street Corridor
GreekPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://kapnosdc.com/
- Phone: (202) 234-5000 ext. 9
- Hours of Operation:
Bar open between 3pm-5pm on Saturday-Sunday
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Greek
- Executive Chef: Mike Isabella
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Mike Isabella Concepts offers Greek catering in the style of Kapnos. Please email email@example.com for more information.
- Private Party Facilities: Kapnos can accommodate groups of 40 to 50 for private events. Food and beverage minimums may apply. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss menus and pricing.
Email is preferred first method of contact or call us at 202.234.5000 Ext 5 to leave a voicemail for our events coordinator.
- Private Party Contact: Events Manager x
- Cross Street: 14th St & W St, NW
- Public Transit: Kapnos is located 3 blocks from U Street/African-Amer Civil War Memorial/Cardozo metro station (13th st & U st exit)
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Kapnos offers Valet Parking Thursday, Friday, and Saturday beginning at 5:00pm outside the W Street entrance. Please note that Valet Service ends at close of service and is $15 per vehicle. Street parking can also be found nearby.
A word from Kapnos
Chef Mike Isabella opened Kapnos along the Fourteenth Street Corridor in July 2013. Isabella draws inspiration from Northern Greece to create a menu of spreads, breads, vegetables and other small plates, including his signature wood-grilled octopus. Two wood-fire grills with rotating spits and a large oven for stone-baked flat breads service the 160-seat restaurant. Guests enjoy carvings from whole animals that have been spit-roasted all day, including lamb, goat, duck, chicken, and suckling pig. Kapnos is open for dinner seven nights a week.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Kapnos reviews from OpenTable diners
326 reviews since July 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (240)hot spot (119)good for groups (116)neighborhood gem (113)great for outdoor dining (94)special occasion (86)vibrant bar scene (84)notable wine list (63)romantic (41)great for brunch (36)late-night find (12)great for lunch (10)kid-friendly (5)Show More
- small plates extravaganzaOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/18/2014They had a great selection of small plates for fire meat eaters or seafood lovers. I've never had fork tender octopus that was so well grilled. The suckling pork, goat and chicken are all cooking in front of you when you walk in and the flavors and texture of all the dishes surpassed my expectations from seeing the meat cooking. Need to go with people who like to share, but 4people can easily share 1 plate and enjoy. Very memorable experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- For Greek foodiesEthanaelVIPDined on 11/16/2014Were were extremely surprise by this place that can stand definitely as a Haute Cuisine restaurant. We found this place before to take off after a trip in Washington that was compounded of exquisite restaurants. So I thought first: "ok greek food even good will look gross as compared to what we tried" BUT NO, you will find here creative greek cuisine that combines with genuine primaty producesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great time...TwasDecember23rdDined on 11/15/2014We ended up getting a last-minute, late, reservation - 5 of us had a really good time with an engaging waitstaff. Definitely recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good but but pricey for some of the portion sizeslmk522Dined on 11/13/2014Our party loved the quality of the food except the broccolini which was fairly bland and not noteworthy. The goat I was told was delicious and the Bronzini, especially the sauce was incredible. The only feedback about this dish is the fish size was so small and was billed as an item to share with the table. The cost of Bronzini is so reasonable the kitchen could step up the portion size especially when pricing it at 36.00. It really was ridiculous. The other feedback is the price on the only Cabernet you sell is 25.00 per glass. Come on, there are many outstanding Cabs for much less than that. It is overpriced for the price range of this restaurant and in my opinion a ridiculous amount of money to spend on a glass of wine. There are so many choices out there, why do that one? All in all yummy food, but I think they need to look at either their pricing or portion size for some of their dishes....and up the taste on the broccolini.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Second time will be my lastOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 11/13/2014I ate here a few months ago and it was good enough to return, but after my meal this week, I won't be back. We were seated in a nice spot and I was looking forward to a good meal. The waiter was sour and unpleasant. We ordered drinks and a spread right away. The smoked eggplant spread was excellent. It came well before the drinks, which took a while because the bar was "backed up," though the place was only half to two-thirds full. We had four other dishes. One, the prawns, was excellent. The other three were mediocre to almost inedible. The yellow lentils were bland and in need even some salt. The phyllo with mushrooms was ruined by too much chili and the potatoes tasted as if they had been soaked in vinegar with an odd herb combination. While other small-plate restaurants send out dishes as they are ready, there usually seems to a rhythm and a logic to the meal. This meal just felt erratic, as if the kitchen was also backed up and not well managed. After the promising first meal, this evening left the impression of a restauranteur trying to do too much too quickly and cheating diners in the process.Special Features:
- Neighborhood GemOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/11/2014I live on 14th street, but had yet to make it to Kapnos. Have been to Mike Isabella's other restaurants, always having a wonderful experience, so figured I would check this one out. My dad was coming up to visit, and we often go to unique spots in the area to change it up. This was perfect. The drinks, food, atmosphere were incredible for really any occasion. Our server made excellent suggestions for amateur Greek foodies, was very witty and timely. Overall this was a fantastic dining experience. Spicy Goat meat sounded questionable but was a favorite!Special Features:
- roasted lamb is worth the detourfredDined on 11/7/2014We went for the roasted lamb and it was above our expectations. The eggplant with roasted red peppers was also excellent. The service was very helpful in finding out way into the menu gems.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kapnos==Great Greek FoodJJMDVIPDined on 11/7/2014Having been a longtime fan of Mike Isabella, I was eager to try this.The food was delicious. We tried a trio of spreads and all were tasty. Very well seasoned and hearty flavors. I suggest getting the crudité to go with it. Their grape leaves were superb--really hearty and robust-but a slight too salty for my tastes. My friend and I split the Chicken and Lemon Potatoes--the chicken was just amazing--truly tender and just rolled off the bone. The potatoes were well cooked and seasoned--not too mushy! They have a great wine selection and their servers all seem highly focused. We had Omar E. and he was extremely helpful in picking out menu items and kept checking on us to make sure we were happy with our choices. Kapnos is worth your time!Special Features:
- Olympus on a plateVesnetDined on 11/1/2014For me to take my friend Ellie to a Greek restaurant on her birthday was gutsy. Not only because she's Greek, but her mom's home-cooked meals set the standard for Greek food. Well, from the taramousalata to the lamb, I'm hooked. I've found a place to enjoy ! Steni yamas, polli oreo !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All goodusuallywontpostVIPDined on 11/1/2014First, everyone at Kapnos is really nice. Then they explain anything on the menu patiently. Lastly, the food is good. Plus excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved the varietyOutnaboutDined on 10/30/2014We ordered the tasting menu and it was nice that each course had different selections. Opposed to 2 of the same dish for each course per person. The food was great and the portions were big. My only food complaint was that I was too full to enjoy the meat course. The service wasn't great. The server only explained 2 courses and the bus boy did the rest. I think our table was a low priority and it was noticeable. I didn't love the specialty cocktail menu selection and ended up with their version of an old fashioned "Hollywood" and it was super good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great new restaurantMissTheOldLevelOneVIPDined on 10/29/2014Great food and drinks, in a beautifully designed setting. The only downside is that the restaurant is very loud, and it can be difficult to hear others at your table.Special Features:
- What's not to like?localfooideVIPDined on 10/27/2014The taramousalata at Kapnos was outstanding as was everything else on the menu including the dolmades (with roasted grapes - yum!). But the best was the wild mushroom Phylo pie. OMG. Melt in my mouth - who knew honey would compliment mushrooms so well! Enjoy - and have fun when you go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable EveningOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/26/2014I was able to make a last-minute Sunday night reservation for three. When we arrived, the table was ready. Every staff member was pleasant and professional. We sampled at least a dozen mezze and each of them were delicious. Not inexpensive, but worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad for BrunchJA1207Dined on 10/26/2014I took friends from out of town because I really like this place for dinner. Kapnos let me down for brunch. The spread was good, and the chocolate mousse dessert very good. But everything else was a let down. The $15 egg dish was small, and I was still hungry at the end. The latte was $6. $6! No sweetener for the iced tea. The waitress seemed bothered I asked for a refill. My friend asked for a side of eggs, and that apparently was a challenge. The bus boys kept trying to clear my plate before I was finished, w/ no rush and empty tables. Very small portions. Maybe I was wrong for thinking brunch works at a small plate venue. Everyone else felt their dishes (except dessert) were mediocre.Special Features:
- Kapnos ServiceSpryisleVIPDined on 10/25/2014The service at this restaurant is really great. Friendly environment and awesome food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really FabulousYUMMYTUMMYVIPDined on 10/24/2014Both the food and the service were absolutely excellent. My only negative comment is that prices are high for the type of food served.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Time ...gadaDined on 10/23/2014My second time at Kapnos in a week. Really enjoyed the food and the server was outstanding! Will be back.Special Features:
- Great FoodAls410Dined on 10/19/2014Went for book club brunch. Great place to share food and chat books.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Greek Food!anr1919VIPDined on 10/18/2014My boyfriend and I were looking for somewhere to go around 14th and U around 10pm. We didn't want to go to a bar to get food so we checked OpenTable and found Kapnos. We've walked by it quite a few times and decided to give it a try. We loved the taramousalata and the flat bread that comes with the spreads. The prices for the mezze plates are a bit expensive, but it comes with more food than you'd expect for mezze. We also had the spit roasted chicken which was phenomenal. The service was a bit slow (it was a busy Saturday night) and the noise was pretty loud, but the food was delicious and the atmosphere was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/18/2014Really liked the Greek-inspired small plate format. The food was inventive and superb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Less than expected.MagentagirlVIPDined on 10/18/2014The menu is interesting but the flavor doesn't always shine through.. And our goat and lamb places were pretty fatty...never pleasant having to clandestinely remove inedible food from your mouth. Bummer!
- High Class yet ComfortabledaveDined on 10/18/2014Two flaws, I made a reservation requesting a both and was first shown to a table. The gentleman that brought the can of Mythos beer spilled it while pouring it into a glass and (although he did wipe up the mess) didn't finish the pour or replace with a full beer. Everything else about the evening was exceptional. The waiter got our orders in a fashion that brought the multiple tasting plates in the order we requested, without long delays between courses. Food was spectacular, as were the house wines.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/16/2014Kapno's continues to be an excellent restaurant. Our party shared a whole fish and 3 sides with a bottle of wine. Great food, preparation.Special Features:
- Seriously good foodMaxieVIPDined on 10/16/2014Booked here on Thursday evening after seeing this on the Eater Hotlist for Washington, DC. We were offered seats at the kitchen counter, something we really enjoy as you can usually interact with the chef while dining. George, the chef, barely greeted us, and really did not interact with us at all, even when we asked him direct questions. And it was not like he was super busy all the time... The food however was fantastic. We ordered the chef's tasting menu and they were happy to oblige our dietary restrictions. We watched the food go out and it all looked amazing. We had fish, great vegetables, and the most wonderful roasted goat. The desserts were great too.Special Features:
- Great food, excellent serviceKB20005VIPDined on 10/14/2014The food at Kapnos is always excellent. Very inventive cocktails, too. And, it's a nice atmosphere with good service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently GreatBalabustaVIPDined on 10/11/2014What made this so good? First, our waiter knew the dishes he was serving, knew the wines we were drinking and managed the timing of our small plates so that we could savor each one. Secondly. Mike Isabella keeps changing it up and creating small plates that don't disappoint. We particularly enjoyed the tuna tartare, the goat and the octopus and the revithosalata, among other dishes. Everything tasted fresh, was interesting and unique. Honestly, few restaurants in the D.C. area, in this price range manage to have such good food and good service. Keep it coming!Special Features:
- Great experience!InpajamasDined on 10/11/2014Had a fantastic meal at Kapnos with my fiancée. The phyllo pies were amazing and the service was impeccable. If you order a lot the bill can add up quickly, but the food was so tasty we both thought it was worth it and would definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OKDCdinerVIPDined on 10/10/2014I expected more from Kapnos that I got. Drinks are overpriced and undergood, food was fine but not great. I won't be rushing back.Special Features:
- Not the waiters faultcaraVIPDined on 10/10/2014The food took a long time but it's a busy place and we understood that. One item took an incredibly long time so our waiter asked if he may buy us a glass of wine each. We said yes and then when the bill came the wine was on there. The waiter said that management had decided that our wait wasn't long enough and should therefore charge us. What an incredibly rude way to handle the situation. We did not order the wine. We were given the wine and then charged for it. There is no way I would go back to this restaurant.
- overratedgreatmealVIPDined on 10/7/2014Service was good, restaurant itself is beautiful. Food was just ok. Poorly seasoned and just kinda blah. Cauliflower dish was a little greasy which we weren't expecting.
- Great DiningbsyoungDined on 10/4/2014Both the food and the service were outstanding. Might have paced the food a little slower, but the meal was greatSpecial Features:
- bobwVIPDined on 9/30/2014Had been looking forward to going to Kapnos for quite some time. Have eaten at G several times and really enjoyed it. Found the food very underwhelming. We shared lots of dishes and only one or two were really good. Too many other great places in town.Special Features:
- Food is outstandingJfarDined on 9/29/2014The lamb is phenomenal and all side dishes ordered to support the lamb are equally delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious and fun!kbl83Dined on 9/27/2014We loved our meal at Kapnos. The shared plates are all amazing and we got to watch the meat being prepared while we ate. What a great restaurant!Special Features:
- Great Greek tapasSnootyfoodieVIPDined on 9/27/2014Loved the house made lemonade cocktails. Lamb tacos were the best!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food! Meh service.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/26/2014It was a bday dinner w/ a large group of first-timers. We received no welcome or menu explanation but just "Do you have any questions?" Our first order was quick & sizable: 3-spread sampler & 10 mezze. Food came all at once and spreads hit the table last (no sense!). We added 3 more dishes which then came 1 by 1. Good company and amazing food meant we needed minimal service, but while wine service was good, there was no water service. Dessert came with a candle, which was nice. Surprisingly, the bill included 20% auto-gratuity (not the typical 18%). Is that still legal in DC or even listed on the menu? Overall, the group was very impressed with the food and would go back for that. However maybe next time I'll sit at the bar instead.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/26/2014Food was great as was the service. Try the kegged lemonades. Delicious. Lamb shoulder was outstanding.Special Features:
- BJ and Bob at KapnosrollomossVIPDined on 9/24/2014Our first visit--an early dinner Wednesday (24 Sep). Ordered 2 small dishes: octopus and baby goat. Entree: roast chicken with lemon potatoes. Server, Andres (from Venezuela). Andres explained the menu clearly without adding a bunch of foodie adjectives. The octopus was grilled to a delicate crisp. So good we wished we'd had the rest of the animal. Lean, juicy chunks of goat fought the octopus to a tie. The roast chicken (1/2) accompanied by small new potatoes with a delicate lemon flavor. Delicious. Service prompt without being hurried or intrusive. Tip well-earned. (30%+) We definitely will return as soon as possible.Special Features:
- Great food but...HeatherDined on 9/23/2014I loved everything about this place but the night we went they were setting up for a private event and essentially pushed us out of the restaurant. People we're trying to take our food away before we were finished with it and weren't very nice about it. We were also told the kitchen was closing at 8:30, b4 we had even ordered our second round. I would go back again bc I loved the food, but the whole experience left yet another bad taste in my mouth for Mike Isabella and his empire.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.