2201 14th St NW
Washington, DC 20009Neighborhood:
U Street Corridor
GreekPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://kapnosdc.com/
- Phone: 2022345000x9
- Hours of Operation:
Bar open between 3pm-5pm on Saturday-Sunday
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Greek
- Executive Chef: Mike Isabella
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Mike Isabella Concepts offers Greek catering in the style of Kapnos. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- Private Party Facilities: Kapnos can accommodate groups of 40 to 50 for private events. Food and beverage minimums may apply. Please contact email@example.com to discuss menus and pricing.
Email is preferred first method of contact or call us at 202.234.5000 Ext 5 to leave a voicemail for our events coordinator.
- Private Party Contact: Events Manager x
- Cross Street: 14th St & W St, NW
- Public Transit: Kapnos is located 3 blocks from U Street/African-Amer Civil War Memorial/Cardozo metro station (13th st & U st exit)
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Kapnos offers Valet Parking Thursday, Friday, and Saturday beginning at 5:00pm outside the W Street entrance. Please note that Valet Service ends at close of service and is $15 per vehicle. Street parking can also be found nearby.
A word from Kapnos
Chef Mike Isabella opened Kapnos along the Fourteenth Street Corridor in July 2013. Isabella draws inspiration from Northern Greece to create a menu of spreads, breads, vegetables and other small plates, including his signature wood-grilled octopus. Two wood-fire grills with rotating spits and a large oven for stone-baked flat breads service the 160-seat restaurant. Guests enjoy carvings from whole animals that have been spit-roasted all day, including lamb, goat, duck, chicken, and suckling pig. Kapnos is open for dinner seven nights a week.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Kapnos reviews from OpenTable diners
324 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (237)neighborhood gem (122)great for outdoor dining (121)good for groups (115)hot spot (107)special occasion (104)vibrant bar scene (74)notable wine list (66)romantic (56)great for brunch (36)great for lunch (13)late-night find (11)kid-friendly (9)scenic view (2)Show More
- Food is outstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/29/2014The lamb is phenomenal and all side dishes ordered to support the lamb are equally delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious and fun!kbl83Dined on 9/27/2014We loved our meal at Kapnos. The shared plates are all amazing and we got to watch the meat being prepared while we ate. What a great restaurant!Special Features:
- Great Greek tapasSnootyfoodieVIPDined on 9/27/2014Loved the house made lemonade cocktails. Lamb tacos were the best!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food! Meh service.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/26/2014It was a bday dinner w/ a large group of first-timers. We received no welcome or menu explanation but just "Do you have any questions?" Our first order was quick & sizable: 3-spread sampler & 10 mezze. Food came all at once and spreads hit the table last (no sense!). We added 3 more dishes which then came 1 by 1. Good company and amazing food meant we needed minimal service, but while wine service was good, there was no water service. Dessert came with a candle, which was nice. Surprisingly, the bill included 20% auto-gratuity (not the typical 18%). Is that still legal in DC or even listed on the menu? Overall, the group was very impressed with the food and would go back for that. However maybe next time I'll sit at the bar instead.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/26/2014Food was great as was the service. Try the kegged lemonades. Delicious. Lamb shoulder was outstanding.Special Features:
- BJ and Bob at KapnosrollomossVIPDined on 9/24/2014Our first visit--an early dinner Wednesday (24 Sep). Ordered 2 small dishes: octopus and baby goat. Entree: roast chicken with lemon potatoes. Server, Andres (from Venezuela). Andres explained the menu clearly without adding a bunch of foodie adjectives. The octopus was grilled to a delicate crisp. So good we wished we'd had the rest of the animal. Lean, juicy chunks of goat fought the octopus to a tie. The roast chicken (1/2) accompanied by small new potatoes with a delicate lemon flavor. Delicious. Service prompt without being hurried or intrusive. Tip well-earned. (30%+) We definitely will return as soon as possible.Special Features:
- Great food but...HeatherDined on 9/23/2014I loved everything about this place but the night we went they were setting up for a private event and essentially pushed us out of the restaurant. People we're trying to take our food away before we were finished with it and weren't very nice about it. We were also told the kitchen was closing at 8:30, b4 we had even ordered our second round. I would go back again bc I loved the food, but the whole experience left yet another bad taste in my mouth for Mike Isabella and his empire.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceeded my expectations!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/22/2014Everything from the staff to the food was perfection. I'm Greek and hard to please when it comes to Greek food, and this place nailed it. BRAVO!Special Features:
- Special food!LizRLDined on 9/21/2014Every dish we tasted was delicious ... and we tasted a lot of them because everything sounded so good. The waiter looked a little astonished. Do be careful because little plates can add up. Don't miss the octopus.Special Features:
- Good greekOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/20/2014This was my second time at the restaurant and it did not disappoint. The portion sizes on the small plates are decent so 5 plates were enough for 2 people. The food was well prepared and had a good blend of flavors. I am not a fan of Mike Isabella's other restaurant Graffiato but Kapnos is excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- this place rocksglenn66dcVIPDined on 9/19/2014The food here is really fantastic. Especially like the goat. Have yet to have a bad dish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Average food for priceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/19/2014Expensive restaurant feeding of the 14th street boom. Food service a little slow, and the prawn dish in particular is awful. The best of the menu is the dessert. Staff at reception were gruff. We won't be back.Special Features:
- Great eveningPeterDined on 9/18/2014I have been to Kapnos several times and the food and service have always been great. Started off with delicious cocktails (recommended by the server) and then moved on to red wine with the food. The eggplant dip and the taramasalata are favorites. The server recommended the duck phyllo pie and the greek fries (made with chick pea flour instead of potato) which were both hits. We also had the charred octopus, lamb and suckling pig. The only disappointment was the cauliflower (which was cold) and the server offered to bring anothe rone but we declined so she took it off the bill. Desserts - panacotta and the cherry ice cream - topped off a great meal.Special Features:
- 4 hits; 1 missNotCsitsmaVIPDined on 9/15/2014Small plates are good overall - but of the 5 we ordered there was one miss. Fava beans with corn was listed on the menu. While fava beans was the first-listed ingredient on the menu, one would expect the dish to contain fava beans primarily. However, the dish appeared to be 100% corn. Perhaps there were beans inside the dish but they were crushed and pulverized if they were present at all. There was no hint of any presence or taste of fava beans. This dish needs reworking. Nobody wants to pay $10 for a dish of mushy corn.I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2 for 2la2ralusDined on 9/15/2014Second time to visit Kapnos, and the food has been consistent each time. Well made, well seasoned, truly delicious. Lamb tartar was quite nice, the grilled octopus is always a favorite, and the goat, well, divine. If there was one thing less than stellar, it was the service. It was good, but it wasn't as good, as the first time we visited. That being said, she was attentive, patient, and accommodating - which we truly appreciate. Look forward to dining at Kapnos again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- branzinoDined on 9/14/2014Amazing! Robin, our server, had the perfect balance of checking in with us and not interrupting. The food is incredible. Subtle and beautifully blended flavors. Ate at Kapnos or G sandwish shop 3 times in 3 days of our visit. Each meal a surprise and delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very accommodating!EAG3Dined on 9/14/2014I had Sunday brunch here with a small group (5 women) as a surprise mini-bridal shower for a friend. The restaurant was very accommodating in finding a space that worked for us, along with arranging to have a bottle of champagne delivered to the table when we were seated by the sister of the bride who wasn't able to attend. I've eaten here before and the food has been delicious, but this time I went lighter with the scrambled eggs, and there wasn't much to them. Several others had the omelet and the oven baked eggs, which they really liked. Overall, a great experience and I'll certainly be back...for the spreads, gyro, and bloody marys!Special Features:
- Great atmosphere and foodBareeKDined on 9/9/2014This was my first restaurant in DC area and what an impression it was, I loved the atmosphere, food and friendly serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- uncommunicativeDined on 9/9/2014Too loud. The phyllos were fantastic--out of sight. The sausage was mediocre, as were the grape leaves. All else was very good.
- Sophistication in U Street/LoganMmfdcVIPDined on 9/7/2014Delicious and inventive eastern mediterranean food. Super for grazing with groups. Sophisticated take, attentive service and still lively atmosphere. Nice selection of Greek wines.Special Features:
- Great taste and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/5/2014We enjoyed a great birthday night, the food was delicious and the service was great!Special Features:
- Great for a FoodieOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/5/2014Time tested hearty recipes presented with finesse, beautiful wine selection, a bit noisy (all surfaces are smooth creating a loud restaurant) Overall will definitely go back and recommend.Special Features:
- Best Mediterranean food in DCReluctantFoodieDined on 9/2/2014My boyfriend and I have been working on going to the 25 "Best of DC" restaurants and, so far, Kapnos has outpaced them all. The food was absolutely unreal. Highlights are the taramosalata (incredible flavor, not overpoweringly salty or fishy, unlike other places), the goat, the red snapper, and the stuffed pepper. The portions are the perfect size for sharing - just enough to really experience the food but not too much that you're stuffed. Finally, the wine is delicious. Our waitress (who was lovely) recommended a fabulous white that paired perfectly with the food. The noise level is a bit loud for my taste, but it's not above average for trendy DC restaus. Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- jgronerVIPDined on 8/31/2014Some dishes were truly outstanding and up to the hype: the chickpea fritters, sea bass and baklava stood out. The cauliflower tasted too much of the cooking gas, or so said my fine-dining companion. The excellent waitress gladly replaced it. The place can be a bit noisy but we were tucked away in a corner, so very little noise there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always good, creative, diverseLenHVIPDined on 8/31/2014Love the diversity and mixes. Been there 6 times and haven't repeated anything, would eat everything again. Still have some more to go through before we start over from the top. They could control the noise a bit more.Special Features:
- Wow....dcwineguyVIPDined on 8/30/2014Quite simply, I was blown away by the entire meal at Kapnos. From the food, to the wine/drinks, to the service, this was the best restaurant experience I've had in DC this year - and that truly is saying something. Kudos to everyone there -- chefs, bartenders, servers. The dining experience was on another level than almost anywhere in DC. I haven't had that many dishes that were all completely exceptional...well...ever. Kudos.Special Features:
- delicious greek food. seemed veryCountesseDined on 8/30/2014Great to choose so many different. Mezze. Some food s over garnished or sauced. Simple is best room is too noisy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SuperbVRinA2VIPDined on 8/30/2014Wonderful dining experience. Service was impeccable across the board, and food just amazing. Definitely will be back!Special Features:
- Best GreekoutotownersDined on 8/29/2014Over the course of the evening the noise level got a bit more "energetic," but the service remained excellent throughout our dinner. We had a very good bottle of wine at a fairly reasonable price. The three spreads we had were SO delicious, as was the flatbread. We had the eggplant, the yellow lentil, and the feta spreads. Every course after that was beautiful, fresh, and unique. I'd go again to try some of the other dishes, and I don't say that often.Special Features:
- Overrated & expensiveOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/29/2014I've been looking forward to going since this place opened and finally got there. I ordered the bass and grilled cauliflower. It was fine, but expensive and the portion of fish was small. My friend ordered the chard and beans, with lamb. It was pretty dreadful and the bowl of chard looked absolutely disgusting. The wine was $17 p/glass. We sat outside, which was pleasant. Very noisy inside. Well, tried it, moving on...
- Simple but great.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/29/2014With the roasted meats done right you can go wrong with anything here. We had 4 of the meats and they were all great. The tapas style lets you try more then one. Can't wait to go back, too bad I dont live in DC. Come to Philly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kapnos is a KeeperAuthenticDCgirlDined on 8/28/2014We ordered everything, spreads, lamb tartar, olives, red snapper, Greek fries, lamb salad, beet salad, chocolate mousse cake, mint tea. Everything was great. Beet salad was an absolute symphony. Smokey beets, meringue cheese spin on a crouton, olives that are fresh, even the dogon pine nuts rock at Kapnos. Of note was the lamb tartar which had depth of flavor, great texture, and the snapper was smoked to perfection without killing the color, texture or taste of the fresh fish. Kapnos is now on my list of go-to spots when I'm hungry and don't want to play guessing games about the ability of a place to deliver.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 8/28/2014This was my first visit, and I ordered the $85 tasting menu. The highlights included the three spreads with pita, the charred octopus and the rotisserie lamb.
- Kapnos was outstanding!MarthaCritiqueVIPDined on 8/27/2014Every dish had sublime flavors that delighted the taste. Service was terrific and the meal was a treat!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/23/2014I'm particular to a fault, but I found Kapnos nothing short of amazing. I went during extended restaurant week with some trepidation but couldn't have been happier. Two of us shared eight dishes, and everything was fresh, flavorful, complex, and beautifully presented as well as ample for small plates. Our waitstaff, Ashley, was fantastic; she was friendly without being over-the-top, checked in frequently but didn't hover, and readily slowed the courses when we mentioned the pacing was a little fast for us. The plate/drink runners and busboys also operated flawlessly (quick and polite but unobtrusive). The space is handsome and feels special without being stuffy. My only complaint: the lack of sound-proofing; it was quite noisy.Special Features:
- Creative Greek at KapnosMSE1210VIPDined on 8/23/2014My Greek-American wife and I tried Kapnos for the first time, and we were dazzled by it. Atmosphere is fantastic. Service is excellent. Seeing rotisserie meat on your way in to the restaurant. It definitely has a buzz of being a trendy restaurant. Our server made a terrific wine recommendation of a Greek bordeaux blend, which was fantastic. Creative twists on some traditional Greek dishes, and the presentation is fantastic. We loved it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Each dish better than the lastAgentKathyDined on 8/23/2014Dishes great for sharing. Love the smokey flavor in many of the dishes. Even the fritters for dessert were wonderful..Special Features:
- Great foodALMASRIDined on 8/23/2014This place offer fantastic food . The lamb shoulder, OMG , it's to die for. I went to this place 3 times & the last one for my anniversely . We enjoyed everything . Robin the host is so nice & her smile added some more to our specific day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AMAZING!!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/21/2014We celebrated birthdays and were blown away by everything, best meal I have had in a while!Special Features:
- a restaurant week visitgreat4greekDined on 8/21/2014We just returned from a greek vacation, and were looking forward to eating new versions of our favorite foods. 2 couples enjoyed the 4-course restaurant week menu. We each ordered something different to share, and liked them all-- except dessert. Plenty of food on those small plates. Starters and drinks were great: smokey beets and eggplant, lentils, roasted peppers, the bread is fantastic too. If you like bourbon, try the "Hollywood." The bass crudo, falafel, and lamb tartar were great, and all the mains were tasty. For dessert stick with Panna Cotta. Baklava was OK, the other offering, karidopita, reminded us of an unloved fruitcake.Special Features: