Kanu @ The Whiteface Lodge
7 Whiteface Inn Lane
Lake Placid, NY 12946Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Kanu @ The Whiteface Lodge
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.whitefacelodge.com/
- Phone: (518) 523-0510
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: David Haick
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, View, Wine
- Catering: Please contact our Director of Sales, Rosette Press, for information.
- Entertainment: Seasonal entertainment is offered in our Kanu lounge free of charge. Please call for details or 'like' us on Facebook for future dates and artists.
A word from Kanu @ The Whiteface Lodge
Join executive Chef David Haick and the culinary team in Kanu for their take on eclectic New American cuisine; seasonal ingredients with a union of flavors complimented by a distinct presentation.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Kanu @ The Whiteface Lodge - Best Restaurants in Lake Placid ›
Kanu @ The Whiteface Lodge reviews from OpenTable diners
40 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
romantic (17)special occasion (17)scenic view (13)fit for foodies (12)notable wine list (10)kid-friendly (7)good for groups (7)great for outdoor dining (4)neighborhood gem (3)great for brunch (1)hot spot (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Romantic dinnertorkatoDined on 11/1/2014We had a great experience at Kanu, the place just looks fantatic and the staff was friendly and profesionnal. Sitting by the fireplace for the first snow of the year was the perfect set up for a couple wanting to relax and enjoy the end of the day. We thought the entrees were a bit expensive, but the organic chicken breast was one of the best poultry meal I ever had, while the fish (Beaufort swordfish, weel cooked) was a bit more ordinary. The cocktails were great; strong and tasteful.Special Features:
- Very Good ExperienceClaff877Dined on 10/24/2014Service was excellent. Food was great. A bit on the pricey side but definitely worth it. Loved the decor. The atmosphere was great for an romantic dinner.
- Very disapointedVoyageusaDined on 10/24/2014Menu's look so good at first so we booked for the two nights we were there but we were so disapointed by the food quality. Way too salty and no fresh vegetable. Food was cook burn and couldn't taste the food itself. Service was not so good as well. I do not recommand. We had filet mignon, chicken risotto, gnocchi and roast chicken.Special Features:
- Lounge dinning was okay, should've had chicken.UnhappyVIPDined on 10/18/2014Lounge dinning was good, but should have had the half chicken after seeing someone's plate. The flat bread was more like pizza dough.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing room, but bland food.VermontMomDined on 10/18/2014We are both gluten and dairy-free, and had no problem finding something to eat. Unfortunately, that is almost the best thing I can say about the meals. They just weren't tasty enough. I had the potato-kale soup with house-made linguica sausage, which should be a little spicy or at least definitely savory. It was served an interesting way: the solids came in the bowl, with the broth on the side in a little pitcher that they poured into the bowl at the table. But it was very bland. I would recommend the chef make his sausage spicier and cook it in the broth, and maybe mash a bit of the potato into the broth too. My entree was also bland. The sorbets were good, though, and an amazing room to eat in, especially with the trees lit up outside.Special Features:
- ehh....foodjunkie88Dined on 10/6/2014Food was decent but not for the price. Food was very unseasoned and unflavored. I understand most people like the natural flavors of some food(umami), but you shouldn't feel like you are eating raw carrots and meat with nothing to compliment it. It also shouldn't have taken 3 hours to complete a meal. The views of Whiteface are great, but not worth the bang your buck.Special Features:
- DisappointingalwaysdiningDined on 10/3/2014The restaurant is so beautiful and stylish, one expects the food to match. My risotto was tasteless and cold. The bread was quite boring. My sirloin had lumpy fatty bits on the underside and was nothing special. My side veges were hard to find on the plate and tasted the same? When you pay a small fortune for a meal you expect something at least edible!
- What a treat!PedroVIPDined on 9/28/2014Fell upon this restaurant through happenstance, and we are SO glad we did! By far, our best meal in the Lake Placid area. While some might find it a bit expensive, it was worth every penny based on our experience. The food was imaginative, beautifully presented and totally delicious. The service was excellent, starting with the sommelier/host, and then our server; very friendly demeanour yet not too familiar. And the room was grand - two large stone fireplaces, log walls and vaulted ceilings. A truly memorable experience in every way! If you are looking for a special place to eat in Lake Placid, this is it!!Special Features:
- Big DisConnectnosh2noshDined on 9/27/2014Reservations at 8pm, needed to wait for table to be prepared. Dining room: messy, nor was it full. Service was extremely slow yet wait staff were pleasant. We waited over 45 minutes before we received our appetizers then 10-15 minutes later dinner was placed. Appetizers were good, we had the bison carpaccio and pumpkin risotto. Dinner was tasty, even though it was luke warm; nothing that I would brag about. It was obvious there were staffing issues. No bus staff to assist wait staff, therefore the attention to detail was lacking. Problems in the kitchen also. Kanu has an open kitchen concept, therefore you can hear it all!! Chef not having a good night for he was cursing out kitchen staff. Food is slightly over priced. No 4/5 stars here.
- Over priced, poor tasteMimiBDined on 9/24/2014Tasteless, overpriced food in a gorgeous dining room
- FairnycfoodieVIPDined on 8/29/2014The food at this restaurant does not live up to the beauty of the lodge or the views. Menu options are very limited and the food is fair at best. No one in my party of four was impressed with what they ordered. We had high hopes and sadly we were disappointed. The staff other then one very nice woman were not attentive and seemed annoyed at a simple change to an entrée that we ordered. For such a beautiful and high rated resort the restaurant defiantly falls short. If there were other options on site we would defiantly choose them over Kanu.Special Features:
- Adult Room PleaseKidsKillRomanceDined on 8/26/2014A beautiful environment spoiled by not having a room where adults can enjoy the environment without having to sit three feet away from a family with noisy children. With all the available space, and not nearly enough diners to fill it, surely one room can be devoted to Adults Only. Restaurants please take note: Noisy, obnoxious children ruin the "romance" and the "notable wine list."Special Features:
- Disappointment at outrageous priceSoupyDined on 8/24/2014This restaurant is billed as a high-end gourmet dining experience. The reality is, it is a noisy free-for-all with what seemed to be below average fare. If you like the idea of dining in a daycare, you will love Kanu. If you believe you should be able to dine in peace when you are eating your $34 chicken breast, you need to go someplace else.Special Features:
- hspirit3Dined on 8/24/2014Order Cornish hens there was no meat on the hens the carrots they served were not cleaned Overpriced left the restaurant hungry
- HappyDiner1VIPDined on 8/22/2014This was a disappointing evening. The restaurant should enforce a dress code of some kind - eating what should be an upscale meal but sitting next to people who look as if they just came from the gym is simply unappealing. Food was mediocre; bland, from the Caesar salad to the fish, slightly overcooked and flavorless. Meat entrée was woefully undercooked - instead of medium rare, it came out ready to moo. Service needs work - dirty silverware left on the table between the salad and entree and the drink ordered to accompany a meal was finally served about 5 minutes after the entrée. Mustard came in the same kind of plastic packets you pull from a wire basket at a fast food restaurant; hardly what I would expect for a pricey meal.
- Family DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/11/2014We have eaten at Kanu many times but we always can't wait to come back ! Every time we stay at The Whiteface Lodge, it is our go to restaurant. The wait staff is just wonderful and Scott always helps find the perfect drink or wine to go with your meal. As for the food. It is Fit for foodies and always fresh and exciting. Can't wait to go back !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticFinediningguruDined on 8/9/2014The decor is spectacular ,service was great very much the adirondack lodge right down too the smallest detail. Prices were reasonable. We loved it and will definitely come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Super experiencealnwVIPDined on 8/5/2014The best restaurant we've found in the Adirondacks. The combination of decor, food and view can't be beaten.Special Features:
- Beautiful view, but . . .NancyDDined on 8/3/2014This restaurant is beautiful. They have an award winning wine list. However, when my husband and I walked in, very nicely dressed, they put us at a table between two families with kids. Wait staff never bothered to introduce themselves except for the sommelier who was great. The food is good; but this place is advertised as fine dining which it is not.Special Features:
- Nice restaurant but average foodMdostieDined on 8/3/2014The place is beautiful. Very nice lodge. Service is good. Food looks good but taste is ordinary. My wife steak was totaly burned black (hello cancer). The food presentation looks good but the taste bud are not pleased. For the price you can find better. I had an amazing shrimp chowder for lunch at another lodge by the lake that was much cheaper.Special Features:
- WowABtoDineDined on 8/2/2014We were blown away by this restaurant. Wanted to find a place for a special anniversary meal. Kanu significantly exceeded my expectations. Foodies will love this place - great for families too. Wow - can't wait to go back the next time I'm in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 24 reviews are from the Kanu @ The Whiteface Lodge reviews archive.
- sherpaOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/28/2014one of our party experienced very tough cut of steak. Your staff promptly offered an alternate cut which proved to be excellent. all other aspects of meal were outstanding.Special Features:
- Cool atmosphere food eh!FoodieDined on 7/21/2014The place is beautiful. However food was dry and tasteless
- TomSTomSDined on 6/30/2014I thought the menu was limited --- there were no specials. On the menu that was presented, the dishes were quite expensive --- 14 oz steak for $58. I would have appreciated a smaller steak for less money. The service and atmosphere were impeccable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall wonderful experiencePchyprncssDined on 6/9/2014Can't say anything negative about our dinner! Fresh, local ingredients. Delicious, good portion size, beautiful atmosphere. We dined on our honeymoon and wee very pleased.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, whiskey, and staff!JohnWDined on 5/3/2014Came to Lake Placid for our 5th Anniversary and tried Kanu based on other reviews. Boy was it true to form! The food was very good and the staff was amazing. Our waitress tried to dig in the deep dark abyss of their whiskey collection to try and find a very hard to get bourbon. They didn't have it (no one does) but the effort was much appreciated. The manager of the restaraunt even came over and we had a good 15 minute chat about bourbons and whiskeys. He put us on to a local shop as well that had many of the things we like and we bought one of his suggestions, which was awesome. My only disappointment is that we live 7 hours away so we can't enjoy this dining experience more often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awful musicJanieCFDined on 2/26/2014Our otherwise pleasant evening with tasty food was intruded upon by the 1940's music playing. We asked our server if she could do anything about it; alas, she could not.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- For the price ..it could bepalnyDined on 2/23/2014For the price ..it could be better food...not bad but not excelent.Special Features:
- The food was good. My fiancéShantelleDined on 2/19/2014The food was good. My fiancé got the Wild Boar stew. The meat was tender and tasted great, but there were only a few noodles here and there. She reported that she would have preferred potatoes or carrots to change up the flavors. I got the NY strip steak. The steak flavor was spot on, but it was a little over cooked. The carrots and garlic potatoes were great. The potatoes were a little dry. Lastly, my finance's drink (poached pear martini) was wonderful though the price $15 was way too much for the portion. Overall, I do regret spending $100.00 on two entrees and a drink. Then there's the $20 tip. The service was good, but it wasn't attentive.Special Features:
- Just what i wantedhighrighDined on 2/15/2014I went to Kanu for Valentine's day and it was the perfect spot. The hotel is gorgeous and the restaurant is romantic in a rustic outdoors way. I loved the antler décor and the service was top notch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Winter WonderlocalfolksDined on 1/31/2014Very nice experience and breathtaking atmosphere. It was a superb dinning experience and I would recommend it to anyone (minus the french onion soup). The cozy bar had an performer and was very nice for an after-dinner drink. Staff was friendly and efficient.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wow!gr8tDined on 1/25/2014Kanu at the Whiteface Lodge was absolutely amazing and my boyfriend and I will start going there more often for our special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine dining in Lake PlacidMnaccaDined on 1/3/2014We dined at Kanu during the winter holiday break. The dining room was decorated with a magnificent tree which stood 33 ft tall. The menu was limited and offered one entree in each of the following: pork, chicken, fish beef and pasta. They were able to accommodate our 8 year old child with a children's menu. The portions were sufficient, nicely presented and quite tasty. They also offered, for a fee, a nice selection of side vegetables. The service was pleasant but not overly attentive. Overall, it was a fine dining experience in the Adirondack's. The menu prices were also higher than most restaurants in the area but well worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- special occasion splurgemyloversbelovedDined on 11/12/2013We loved the ambient feel of this restaurant. We enjoyed a table next to the fireplace for our dinner. My husband had the strip steak and I had the pork chop. We agreed that the pork chop had the best flavor combination, and would definately recommend it. Also, we would definately return to try more dishes. Prices were comparable to a fancy steak restaurant, service was well-timed and friendly, and they recommended bread pudding for dessert...it was worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Business DinnerBusinessDinnerDined on 11/11/2013I like to bring out of town colleagues (from NYC) to the Whiteface Lodge to give them a glimpse of the Adirondack style. It is always a hit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We've eaten at Kanu 4 timesDoctorDined on 10/26/2013We've eaten at Kanu 4 times and after this most recent time am not sure if we'll be back. Menu choices were very limited, with what appeared to be unusual side dishes. We both ordered steak as it was the "safest" item on the menu and even it was undercooked and a bit tough. And the meal was not inexpensive.Special Features:
- Fantastic!!!!dbedardDined on 10/18/2013Everything from the welcoming, to the service (sommelier, server), to the food (wine, meal and desserts) was excellent. Nothing bad to say about this experience. I gave it a five diamonds! Would go back without questions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautifully experience.SabinLapierreDined on 10/13/2013We were greeted by the romantic atmosphere for a marriage proposal, it was perfect. Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was fantastic. FoodShellyDined on 10/13/2013Service was fantastic. Food was delicious. Ambience was amazing. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A bit disappointingTandAMDVIPDined on 10/12/2013High expectations but sadly not realized. Started with valet parking issues (told to go to a lot which might be full, and of course it was; went back to valet and they seemed annoyed). Nice dining room, but service was very slow. They were very busy and clearly didn't have the staff. Food was good but my local Texas Roadhouse makes as good a steak for 1/3 the price. So many better options in the area; would skip this one.