Kanu @ The Whiteface Lodge
7 Whiteface Inn Lane
Lake Placid, NY 12946Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Kanu @ The Whiteface Lodge
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.whitefacelodge.com/
- Phone: 5185230510
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: David Haick
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, View, Wine
- Catering: Please contact our Director of Sales, Rosette Press, for information.
- Entertainment: Seasonal entertainment is offered in our Kanu lounge free of charge. Please call for details or 'like' us on Facebook for future dates and artists.
A word from Kanu @ The Whiteface Lodge
Join executive Chef David Haick and the culinary team in Kanu for their take on eclectic New American cuisine; seasonal ingredients with a union of flavors complimented by a distinct presentation.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Kanu @ The Whiteface Lodge - Best Restaurants in Lake Placid ›
Kanu @ The Whiteface Lodge reviews from OpenTable diners
30 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (16)romantic (11)scenic view (11)fit for foodies (10)notable wine list (9)kid-friendly (8)good for groups (8)great for outdoor dining (5)neighborhood gem (3)great for brunch (2)hot spot (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Over priced, poor tasteMimiBDined on 9/24/2014Tasteless, overpriced food in a gorgeous dining room
- FairnycfoodieDined on 8/29/2014The food at this restaurant does not live up to the beauty of the lodge or the views. Menu options are very limited and the food is fair at best. No one in my party of four was impressed with what they ordered. We had high hopes and sadly we were disappointed. The staff other then one very nice woman were not attentive and seemed annoyed at a simple change to an entrée that we ordered. For such a beautiful and high rated resort the restaurant defiantly falls short. If there were other options on site we would defiantly choose them over Kanu.Special Features:
- Adult Room PleaseKidsKillRomanceDined on 8/26/2014A beautiful environment spoiled by not having a room where adults can enjoy the environment without having to sit three feet away from a family with noisy children. With all the available space, and not nearly enough diners to fill it, surely one room can be devoted to Adults Only. Restaurants please take note: Noisy, obnoxious children ruin the "romance" and the "notable wine list."Special Features:
- Disappointment at outrageous priceSoupyDined on 8/24/2014This restaurant is billed as a high-end gourmet dining experience. The reality is, it is a noisy free-for-all with what seemed to be below average fare. If you like the idea of dining in a daycare, you will love Kanu. If you believe you should be able to dine in peace when you are eating your $34 chicken breast, you need to go someplace else.Special Features:
- hspirit3Dined on 8/24/2014Order Cornish hens there was no meat on the hens the carrots they served were not cleaned Overpriced left the restaurant hungry
- HappyDiner1VIPDined on 8/22/2014This was a disappointing evening. The restaurant should enforce a dress code of some kind - eating what should be an upscale meal but sitting next to people who look as if they just came from the gym is simply unappealing. Food was mediocre; bland, from the Caesar salad to the fish, slightly overcooked and flavorless. Meat entrée was woefully undercooked - instead of medium rare, it came out ready to moo. Service needs work - dirty silverware left on the table between the salad and entree and the drink ordered to accompany a meal was finally served about 5 minutes after the entrée. Mustard came in the same kind of plastic packets you pull from a wire basket at a fast food restaurant; hardly what I would expect for a pricey meal.
- Family DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/11/2014We have eaten at Kanu many times but we always can't wait to come back ! Every time we stay at The Whiteface Lodge, it is our go to restaurant. The wait staff is just wonderful and Scott always helps find the perfect drink or wine to go with your meal. As for the food. It is Fit for foodies and always fresh and exciting. Can't wait to go back !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticFinediningguruDined on 8/9/2014The decor is spectacular ,service was great very much the adirondack lodge right down too the smallest detail. Prices were reasonable. We loved it and will definitely come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Super experiencealnwVIPDined on 8/5/2014The best restaurant we've found in the Adirondacks. The combination of decor, food and view can't be beaten.Special Features:
- Beautiful view, but . . .NancyDDined on 8/3/2014This restaurant is beautiful. They have an award winning wine list. However, when my husband and I walked in, very nicely dressed, they put us at a table between two families with kids. Wait staff never bothered to introduce themselves except for the sommelier who was great. The food is good; but this place is advertised as fine dining which it is not.Special Features:
- Nice restaurant but average foodMdostieDined on 8/3/2014The place is beautiful. Very nice lodge. Service is good. Food looks good but taste is ordinary. My wife steak was totaly burned black (hello cancer). The food presentation looks good but the taste bud are not pleased. For the price you can find better. I had an amazing shrimp chowder for lunch at another lodge by the lake that was much cheaper.Special Features:
- WowABtoDineDined on 8/2/2014We were blown away by this restaurant. Wanted to find a place for a special anniversary meal. Kanu significantly exceeded my expectations. Foodies will love this place - great for families too. Wow - can't wait to go back the next time I'm in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sherpaOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/28/2014one of our party experienced very tough cut of steak. Your staff promptly offered an alternate cut which proved to be excellent. all other aspects of meal were outstanding.Special Features:
- Cool atmosphere food eh!FoodieDined on 7/21/2014The place is beautiful. However food was dry and tasteless
- TomSTomSDined on 6/30/2014I thought the menu was limited --- there were no specials. On the menu that was presented, the dishes were quite expensive --- 14 oz steak for $58. I would have appreciated a smaller steak for less money. The service and atmosphere were impeccable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall wonderful experiencePchyprncssDined on 6/9/2014Can't say anything negative about our dinner! Fresh, local ingredients. Delicious, good portion size, beautiful atmosphere. We dined on our honeymoon and wee very pleased.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 20 reviews are from the Kanu @ The Whiteface Lodge reviews archive.
- Great food, whiskey, and staff!JohnWDined on 5/3/2014Came to Lake Placid for our 5th Anniversary and tried Kanu based on other reviews. Boy was it true to form! The food was very good and the staff was amazing. Our waitress tried to dig in the deep dark abyss of their whiskey collection to try and find a very hard to get bourbon. They didn't have it (no one does) but the effort was much appreciated. The manager of the restaraunt even came over and we had a good 15 minute chat about bourbons and whiskeys. He put us on to a local shop as well that had many of the things we like and we bought one of his suggestions, which was awesome. My only disappointment is that we live 7 hours away so we can't enjoy this dining experience more often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awful musicJanieCFDined on 2/26/2014Our otherwise pleasant evening with tasty food was intruded upon by the 1940's music playing. We asked our server if she could do anything about it; alas, she could not.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- For the price ..it could bepalnyDined on 2/23/2014For the price ..it could be better food...not bad but not excelent.Special Features:
- The food was good. My fiancéShantelleDined on 2/19/2014The food was good. My fiancé got the Wild Boar stew. The meat was tender and tasted great, but there were only a few noodles here and there. She reported that she would have preferred potatoes or carrots to change up the flavors. I got the NY strip steak. The steak flavor was spot on, but it was a little over cooked. The carrots and garlic potatoes were great. The potatoes were a little dry. Lastly, my finance's drink (poached pear martini) was wonderful though the price $15 was way too much for the portion. Overall, I do regret spending $100.00 on two entrees and a drink. Then there's the $20 tip. The service was good, but it wasn't attentive.Special Features:
- Just what i wantedhighrighDined on 2/15/2014I went to Kanu for Valentine's day and it was the perfect spot. The hotel is gorgeous and the restaurant is romantic in a rustic outdoors way. I loved the antler décor and the service was top notch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Winter WonderlocalfolksDined on 1/31/2014Very nice experience and breathtaking atmosphere. It was a superb dinning experience and I would recommend it to anyone (minus the french onion soup). The cozy bar had an performer and was very nice for an after-dinner drink. Staff was friendly and efficient.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wow!gr8tDined on 1/25/2014Kanu at the Whiteface Lodge was absolutely amazing and my boyfriend and I will start going there more often for our special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine dining in Lake PlacidMnaccaDined on 1/3/2014We dined at Kanu during the winter holiday break. The dining room was decorated with a magnificent tree which stood 33 ft tall. The menu was limited and offered one entree in each of the following: pork, chicken, fish beef and pasta. They were able to accommodate our 8 year old child with a children's menu. The portions were sufficient, nicely presented and quite tasty. They also offered, for a fee, a nice selection of side vegetables. The service was pleasant but not overly attentive. Overall, it was a fine dining experience in the Adirondack's. The menu prices were also higher than most restaurants in the area but well worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- special occasion splurgemyloversbelovedDined on 11/12/2013We loved the ambient feel of this restaurant. We enjoyed a table next to the fireplace for our dinner. My husband had the strip steak and I had the pork chop. We agreed that the pork chop had the best flavor combination, and would definately recommend it. Also, we would definately return to try more dishes. Prices were comparable to a fancy steak restaurant, service was well-timed and friendly, and they recommended bread pudding for dessert...it was worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Business DinnerBusinessDinnerDined on 11/11/2013I like to bring out of town colleagues (from NYC) to the Whiteface Lodge to give them a glimpse of the Adirondack style. It is always a hit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We've eaten at Kanu 4 timesDoctorDined on 10/26/2013We've eaten at Kanu 4 times and after this most recent time am not sure if we'll be back. Menu choices were very limited, with what appeared to be unusual side dishes. We both ordered steak as it was the "safest" item on the menu and even it was undercooked and a bit tough. And the meal was not inexpensive.Special Features:
- Fantastic!!!!dbedardDined on 10/18/2013Everything from the welcoming, to the service (sommelier, server), to the food (wine, meal and desserts) was excellent. Nothing bad to say about this experience. I gave it a five diamonds! Would go back without questions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautifully experience.SabinLapierreDined on 10/13/2013We were greeted by the romantic atmosphere for a marriage proposal, it was perfect. Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was fantastic. FoodShellyDined on 10/13/2013Service was fantastic. Food was delicious. Ambience was amazing. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A bit disappointingTandAMDVIPDined on 10/12/2013High expectations but sadly not realized. Started with valet parking issues (told to go to a lot which might be full, and of course it was; went back to valet and they seemed annoyed). Nice dining room, but service was very slow. They were very busy and clearly didn't have the staff. Food was good but my local Texas Roadhouse makes as good a steak for 1/3 the price. So many better options in the area; would skip this one.
- Kanu Extend the menu?AgingHippyDined on 10/11/2013The overall food was excellent and we found a very nice wine to go with the meal. However, we would have appreciated more choices with both the entree and wine menu. With the limited wine menu, I was surprised that they had received an award from Wine spectator.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I liked Kanu restaurant. TheJeffDined on 10/8/2013I liked Kanu restaurant. The service was great. When we were there it was not busy, so we got sat right away. I would have liked a little more of an expanded menu. There were not really that many options. I had the bone in strip steak. The flavor was there. It was cooked to my liking. I actually thought it could have been a better cut of meat. I think the price was high for the quality of the meat I received. The ambiance of the restaurant was great. My wife and I stayed at the whiteface lodge for the week and would have dined at Kanu again if the menu had more options, or if there had been daily specials. Overall it was a good experience.Special Features:
- Great experience!MeggieDined on 10/5/2013We had a very good experience! Really good food! We will come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A DisappointmentNJEdDined on 10/1/2013This restaurant is amazingly beautiful, classic Adirondack lodge, but at this time, cannot recommend at all. Two years ago we loved it, but things changed. New chef. The menu is small and poorly executed, with innovative takes on some standards that don't work. Pumpkin soup overwhelmed by celery root masking all flavors. Steak tartare was odd, with home-made ketchup and horseradish, the steak ground to gummy. Venison osso bucco was dry and hard as leather, almost couldn't be cut. Dessert was especially good. The manager tried to put things right, but the prices were quite high, quality poor, and definitely not worth it. We left very, very disappointed and are unlikely to return as long as the current chef is in place.Special Features:
- Delicious Food at a Great CampAnnieVIPDined on 8/28/2013The decor is Adirondack Great Camp - in fact it was built with the logs from the trees cut down to clear the space. There are moose heads, deer, rabbits, etc. all around. The ceiling is tall and you feel small in the room. Our server, Morgan, was very good, giving us time and space as we needed it. The food is great - beef tenderloin, scallops and the vegetarian dish. The duck flatbread was good but the duck was a little too overdone. The wine by the glass choices were adequate with one of each type of wine and good vintages. At one point, there was a loud group that came in and someone talked to them and it became much quieter which is appropriate for a fancier restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.