1514 N. Sherman Ave.
Evanston, IL 60201Neighborhood:
JapanesePrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.kansakusushi.com/
- Phone: (847) 864-4386
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm, Saturday & Sunday: 12:00pm - 4:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 4:30pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 4:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Japanese
- Executive Chef: Joon Kim
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: You can customize your own catering to match your budget and the number of people. Our three simple catering packages are below. You can pick your favorite sushi in all packages Kansaku Tradition ($100): Kansaku traditional rolls. (About 100 pcs) Kansaku Signature ($200): Kansaku Signature rolls. (About 150 pcs) Kansaku Supreme ($300): Nigiri (About 100 pcs) includes Sea Urchin and Sweet Shrimp. You can also mix and match in between packages to create and fulfill your catering needs. We recommend you to arrange a catering at least two days in advance. We do off-site catering
- Private Party Facilities: Have your parties such as bridal shower, baby shower, or corporate meeting, and birthday party at Kansaku. We can help you to celebrate and make wonderful memories on your special days. We recommend you to make a reservation about a week prior to the events.
- Private Party Contact: Yoon 6304400021
A word from Kansaku
Whether you seek familiar sushi preparations, traditional Japanese cooking or unique and innovative contemporary cuisine that blends Asian and Western cooking styles, Kansaku's seasonal cuisine, comfortable décor and knowledgeable service will provide you and your guests a dining experience that is both entirely satisfying and highly memorable.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Kansaku reviews from OpenTable diners
31 reviews since July 28, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (21)fit for foodies (15)romantic (5)special occasion (4)great for lunch (3)good for groups (3)hot spot (3)great for outdoor dining (2)notable wine list (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Not bad but not to die forFoodCriticVIPDined on 11/6/2014Rolls were very pedestrian - lots of choices but just not that well done. Quality of nigiri and sashimi was very good. Not a bad place but certainly not a destination sushi restaurant.
- Nice Neighborhood SpotpurylDined on 10/25/2014Kansaku is a very nice restaurant, low-key, stylish with good foods and friendly staff. I enjoyed it.Special Features:
- ExcellentSnappledrinkerDined on 10/23/2014Excellent sushi on the North Shore. Service very attentive.
- Great SushiPrplehazeDined on 10/17/2014Kansaku has an excellent selection of creatively designed, attractively presented, and, judging by by the two we shared, delicious rolls. The menu also features the usual selection of nigiri and sashimi if rolls don't strike your fancy. Although we went there with the express idea of sushi in mind, there are a number of other entrees to choose from for the less adventurous in your party. The food is delicious and the service was helpful and efficient. If you want sushi and you're anywhere near the neighborhood, stop in. You can thank me later.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experiencePJRNVIPDined on 10/4/2014I am no sushi expert as I typically only go if friends want to go - I don't go on my own, nor crave sushi, but I found Kansaku to be very good. The dishes each of the 7 of us had were all fantastic. We would definitely comeback here again.Special Features:
- Outstanding food, excellent value!apiciusVIPDined on 10/3/2014Totally pleased with our meal at Kansaku! The place is elegantly decorated and very comfortable. ALl the food that our party of 4 had was dellicious; the sashimi and sush were outstanding, some ot the best we've had in Chicago (or anywhere). They had the wonderful regular items that one would want at a Japanese/Sushi restaurant plus many creative additions to the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- enjoyVIPDined on 9/11/2014Great food and excellent chocolate martini for dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food & a peaceful atmosphereWalkerDined on 8/5/2014I enjoyed this restaurant. It was like a little peaceful oasis after a long day of sightseeing in hectic downtown Chicago. The sushi was good, although we have had better in our home city. The tempura and udon soup were perfect for me. The ginger-pear sorbet was excellent. The sevice was great and the servers were gentle and competent. We were there on a weekday night and it was fairly busy with many locals (a good sign). I would recommend this restaurant and will likely return next time we are in the area.Special Features:
- The following 178 reviews are from the Kansaku reviews archive.
- Yes to Kansaku!DebbieDined on 7/25/2014This was my first visit and I loved it! Great food and service! I would recommend this place to all my friends!Special Features:
- Delicious food, pleasant ambienceluv2dineDined on 7/14/2014We ordered the filet mignon and spicy chicken entrees. The dishes were beautifully presented and came out quickly. The beef was tender and flavorful--a keeper. The chicken was more dry and spicier than we would have preferred. The wait-staff was attentive and gracious. The ambience is very nice. Will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was greatOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/11/2014Sat outside so the there was street noise, but not an issue. Had 3 different Maki rolls (don't remember the names) and all were delicious.Special Features:
- Foodie2enjoyVIPDined on 7/5/2014Food is consistently good and we enjoy Kansaku when we are in the mood for sushi.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!HannahDined on 6/25/2014We had a wonderful meal at Kansaku. The sushi was fresh and the service was great. I will be back!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 6/3/2014I really enjoyed the food. The service was amazing. Thought that the plate for one was enough food to share. The sashmi was outstanding.Special Features:
- Always delicious.ALoCiceroVIPDined on 5/25/2014Kansaku is our sushi standard in Evanston, definitely delicious and always great service. Great drink and food deals all days of the week, highly recommend.Special Features:
- Great, even for non-sushi eatersaletheaDined on 5/23/2014This is the second time I've eaten here, and I think it is one of the best Japanese restaurants in the area. The staff was courteous and quick to take care of our needs. We each had a couple of appetizers as our lunch, and we were too full for dessert, but next time we'll probably save room for the mochi ice cream or one of the other choices. We'll definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious and creative makievhikersDined on 4/26/2014We shared a few of the exciting rolls and they were delicious. Love the Lakeshore Drive Roll with soy paper wrap, the Fiesta and the Kamikaze, along with some nigiri. The fish was fresh and buttery tender. Also, our server was charming and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great sushi and other optionsNSwmsbgVIPDined on 4/9/2014I went to dinner with my 2 teens and my young niece, all of whom are very picky eaters but they love good sushi. We all tremendously enjoyed the sushi, along with appetizers of calamari and pot stickers and also the tonkatsu and yakisoba. Everything was very well prepared and the service was excellent. We definitely will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything is consistently2essenceVIPDined on 4/8/2014Everything is consistently very good. I recommend it as a neighborhood restaurant, or a place to go if visiting Evanston.Special Features:
- Great food too fastfinnDined on 4/6/2014Enjoyed everything ordered, but came way too fast.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food A+ Service Depends what day.OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 4/4/2014Service hit or miss. I have been there 3 times in the last month. 2x the service was fine. 1x it was a joke. Food never came, millions of excuses, left an hour later with receiving entree.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will not recommend this restaurantErinnutDined on 3/20/2014Besides the fact the waitress tip over the water glass of the table next to us, it took her another 15 minutes to clean up. She did not clean up as much as she should as half of the water was still under my table even though I stood up while she mopping. The dish I order which was the Chilean sea bass I was told that they don't have any left after 15 minutes she took our food order. We had 7:00 reservations how can you run out of the fish dish. The service was slow it took quite a awhile for we got our food and our check. Again I will never recommend this restaurant to any one.
- Been here before. The foodGray8foodDined on 3/18/2014Been here before. The food is excellent and the service was great. I had a peach martini but it didn't have much flavor. That was my only dislike. Will definitely return again. Also the tenderloin and asparagus appetizer was fabulous !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent SushiBionda1VIPDined on 3/16/2014We always enjoy dinner at Kansaku, especially this past Sunday night. I took my high school son there for an early meal and were seated at a window table. We both loved the sushi appetizer we ordered which arrived at the table promptly after we had finished our delicious salads. The chicken terriyaki entree was equally tasty. We did not have room for dessert, but I'm sure that would have been wonderful too! The waiter we had was very attentive and gracious, offering to pack leftovers for us to take home. Overall, a great experience (again!). We look forward to returning soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My wife and I had a reservationbenoitcdDined on 2/14/2014My wife and I had a reservation for 7:30 pm on Valentine's day. We had to fight just to get the attention of the waitress. Someone finally acknowledged our presence 15 min later. The restaurant was obviously overbooked. We got our table 45 min after we got there. Overall this was an irritating experience. Nothing was offered to us (drink, appetizers, oreo cookies, whatever ...) to ease the wait. Even though food was good (and even there I think it's overpriced for the quality), the poor service left a bitter taste, so two stars is fair.
- This Sushi restaurant hasRichardVIPDined on 2/1/2014This Sushi restaurant has consistently excellent food and an ambience that is very conducive to dinner conversation with friends. THE best dish on the menu, bar none, is the Tuna Poke. Can't eat enough of it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Benches are deep, but havejaikenDined on 2/1/2014Benches are deep, but have no padding, so lengthy dinners are uncomfortable without a puffy jacket behind your back or underneath you.
- Great sushi, decent serviceILovePaellaDined on 1/15/2014My wife and I booked a table for an unexpected date night. We were promptly greeted and shown our table. We had water within seconds. Unfortunately it took quite a while for the waitress to take our order. But once we ordered, our food was to our table quite quickly. We ordered three rolls, the rainbow roll, King Kong, and carnival. All were very good, my favorite was the Carnival. While not being traditional sushi, it has many traditional staples. This is definitely a great place to eat, if only just once.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friday night sushiDaveDined on 12/28/2013Came here early on a Friday night and it was pretty empty. Service was quick and attentive. Food and drinks were excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful, creative, wellpaletteandeyes4beautyVIPDined on 12/7/2013Beautiful, creative, well constructed good food. Easy to enjoy. You can throw a dart at the menu and be assured of something good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spicy deliciousnessRosieDined on 11/30/2013There were four of us dining. We ordered what we hoped would be spicy and tasty sushi: Volcano; Fiesta; Fire Dragon; Dragon. They were delicious and the ginger was fresh with its own kick. To calm our palates we also had Citrus Spring and the salmon teriyaki entree. It was a lovely meal, quiet enough for talking but not so quiet that we were embarrassed to laugh out loud.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoying friends enjoying foodpapadocDined on 11/29/2013Getting together over delicious food and ambience in a relaxing atmosphere - just what "the doctors ordered". We relished sharing sake & sushi, caringly served by our waiter.Special Features:
- Great!sjaniDined on 11/27/2013Great service. Great food! Will come back. Favorite sushi place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DelightfulKelliDined on 11/9/2013I chose Kansaku based on their location and the fact that it had great reviews...we weren't disappointed. The service was very friendly and prompt. The atmosphere was perfect for our party of six. We would definitely go back when we're in town again.Special Features:
- Always Delicious!phinphoodyDined on 10/25/2013Our favorite place for sushi/sashimi in the northern suburbs. The fish is of such high quality. The sashimi melts in your mouth. The Tuan Poke is always a fun appetizer. Wish the noise level was a little lower, but success means crowds!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ComfortableVeefDined on 10/13/2013Lovely place for a small family meal to celebrate or intimate couple's date.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great sushi placeAnneDined on 10/2/2013We all love sushi and Japanese foods in general so this was a great find for our group's impromptu dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- upscale, but not over-expensiveOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/9/2013This is a good, fairly upscale sushi place, with high quality fish, creative menu, full bar of good drinks, nice furniture and decor. It's quiet (though we were there on week night), and has a vibe of a high-end place without a sticker shock.Special Features:
- Healthy Japanese fare in EvanstonOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/31/2013It's hard to find a highly rated restaurant in Evanston that's open for lunch on the weekend. Kansaku was one of the few, and it turned out to be a good choice. The food was good, very healthy noodle dishes, and the bill was very reasonable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This restaurant seemed veryOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 8/10/2013This restaurant seemed very over-priced for the amount of food provided. I ordered a chicken terriaki and it was all rice and very little chicken. It was probably a good portion for someone on a portion restricted diet, but I left feeling hungry and not very satisfied. There is also a fairly limited selection of dishes if you don't eat sushi.