Kanpai - Milwaukee
408 East Chicago St
Milwaukee, WI 53202Neighborhood:
SushiPrice: $30 and under
Kanpai - Milwaukee
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://kanpaimilwaukee.com/
- Phone: 4142201155x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday 11:00am - 10:00pm
Friday: 11:00am - 11:00pm
Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Japanese, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Ken Kim
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Please call 414-220-1155 to arrange your catering order, or send the specifics regarding number of people, date, time, & desired cuisine to email@example.com. We will respond immediately to accommodate your event.
- Special Events: We have a private tatami room (traditional Japanese low-to-the-floor seating) available to seat up to 16 guests; we can also accommodate large parties (over 20 guests) with advance notice. Please contact us at 414-220-1155 to arrange your special event.
A word from Kanpai - Milwaukee
A modern Asian Japanese restaurant that defies comparison. Extraordinary sushi, sake, and small plates served in a sensual, contemporary atmosphere. Kanpai's tempting cocktails and sharable plates make it the perfect spot for a delectable meal and drinks at any hour.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
Kanpai - Milwaukee - Best Restaurants in Milwaukee ›
Kanpai - Milwaukee reviews from OpenTable diners
24 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (14)good for groups (11)romantic (11)special occasion (11)neighborhood gem (7)great for lunch (5)hot spot (2)vibrant bar scene (1)late-night find (1)great for outdoor dining (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Great SushuTbondDined on 10/7/2014Some of the very best sushi and sashimi I have had. Other dishes we had was exceptional.Special Features:
- Good food, fast service!bunnychernobylDined on 9/27/2014The online reservation was easy and had zero issues once we were there. We were promptly greeted at the door, seated right away, the server was there with waters ready and was very helpful in explaining the menu and options (we hadn't been to Kanpai before). The food came quickly, the drinks came quickly, everything tasted wonderful, and everything was priced to match the quality of food. It was great!Special Features:
- Anniversary dinnerEatsushi2Dined on 9/20/2014Food and wine was excellent friendly service had a great timeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/11/2014Kanpai is my favorite go-to sushi spot. A little pricey, so good for date night or special occasions, but I have yet to be disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best sushi in milwaukeeLovesushi88Dined on 9/11/2014Of all the sushi spots in milwaukee this is by far the best sushi in milwaukee. Try the jalapeño poppers. Omg to die for!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still the one...BeginnerSushiDined on 8/19/2014Kanpai is still my favorite sushi restaurant in Milwaukee. I had the pleasant surprise of being one of the winners of the free sushi for the month of August (so remember to bring your business cards for the fish bowl). The staff were very helpful and friendly. The sushi was fresh and delicious! I had the Shrimp Tempura Roll, Sweet Potato Roll (very hearty), and California Rolls. The Miso Soup and House Salad were fantastic, as usual! Check them out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kanpai, AgainMilwaukeeHowardVIPDined on 7/19/2014Green Bay and salmon tapas, Koren bimbibop, seaweed-cuke salad, red and white wine and there you have it- another fine night t Kanpai.Special Features:
- The following 176 reviews are from the Kanpai - Milwaukee reviews archive.
- Great Milwaukee Dining ExperienceLooking4greatfoodDined on 6/14/2014This was our second time dining at Kanpai. The first time was very good, the second time even better. The food is very good - everything you expect; fresh ingredients, excellent preparation and seasoning and nice presentation. The ambience was good, we had a booth that had fellow diners on both sides but it was very quiet. Service was great with the server knowledgeable and willing to assist without being forward. Definitely a place that has earned a permanent place on our preferred card.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kanpai- Consistently GoodMilwaukeeHowardVIPDined on 6/14/2014Another fine meal at Kanpai- good Duck Pond wine, green tea, many different rolls and bibimbop and that delicious green tea ice cream and a great time had by all.Special Features:
- Great food and drinksHalilewyaDined on 6/14/2014We got the love boat which was a nice sample of the sushi and my favorite drink by far is the Asian pear saketini....mmmmm!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/12/2014All items in the Bento box were fresh, tasty, complementary - a nice lunch dining option!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Downtown Dining LunchCatLadyDined on 6/9/2014Wow! Sushi lunch option offered during Downtown Dining week was a winner. My friend and I both chose the three raw seafood rolls and were very happy campers. Kanpai's spicy tuna was especially tasty. The dessert we chose, a green tea smoothie, was pleasantly tangy, thick and creamy. It was served in a wine glass with a spoon to catch all the pineapple goodness. Two quibbles: sushi at lunch was not served with pickled ginger (waitress brought at my request) and Kanpai has possibly the worst iced tea I ever had. Why an upscale restaurant like Kanpai serves instant iced tea is a mystery. We will be back to explore the intriguing regular menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun atmospheresushirookieDined on 6/8/2014in our party of 7, we had a variety of dishes. Some of us were familiar with sushi, others were new to the cuisine. Everyone enjoyed their selections. They had something for every taste, even for those who thought they did not like sushi.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food awful -- but waiter very goodmkejaneVIPDined on 5/25/2014Food was awful! My noodle dish contained microscopic bits of beef-- it was all onions and soy-- and very very salty; lettuce wraps came with enough filling for 2 small leaves-- again filling was mainly onions. And offering a 15% off discount for sushi boats on a sunday night does raise a red flag re freshness, so we did not venture there.....plus all our small plates came st once and did not fit on the table. We hsve enjoyed kanpai in the past but it looks like they put all their $$ into fancy photo menus and had nothing left for ingredients; the word seems to be out as there were very few customers on the sunday evening of a 3 day holiday.
- Sushi was fishyCrazyCriticVIPDined on 5/24/2014Large variety of rolls, the fish was not fresh at all. The mackerel was discolored, the salmon was served with lemon to mask the smell. The service was terrible. It took them an hour and 10 minutes to bring our order! This is some of the worst sushi I've ever had. Major Bummer.
- Terrible serviceJetylloDined on 5/2/2014Generally, servers like my crew of friends. We are polite and always patient. Our server was absolutely terrible. It was very clear that he didn't want to be there that night. Either that or he just had the personality of a fork. We seemed to be bothering him anytime we asked for anything and he was in quite the hurry to get us out of there. We tried to watch him at other tables to see if it was us or him with the problem and we couldn't come to a conclusion....just seemed to hate his life. I was excited to see some friends from out of town and he really bummed us out. For some reason, we still tipped him well because that's what former service industry people do....I really regret it though. I never write reviews. He was just THAT bad.Special Features:
- Great sushi in Milwaukee!augie2008Dined on 4/26/2014Definitely the best sushi I have had since moving to Milwaukee from Chicago! Will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Experience!Desa2014Dined on 4/25/2014Never a bad experience when dining at Kanpai! Love love all the rolls!Special Features:
- Creative dishesMakimavenDined on 4/24/2014An extensive menu full of creative combinations. Delicious and beautiful presentations.Special Features:
- Perfect Dining ExperienceabbyDined on 4/19/2014There was absolutely nothing to complain about after dining at Kanpai. We were seated quickly by their very friendly staff. Our waiter was knowledgeable and gave us several great recommendations. FOOD was amazing ( volcano & Green Bay rolls ). Price was a bargain considering how delicious our food was.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SushiWmMStormDined on 4/18/2014The food was great. The servicd was excellent. The only drawback was you felt isolated in your booth.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service and foodJackhammerDined on 4/4/2014Looking for a good lunch spot well this is it. I had a business meeting here and it was relatively quite with plenty of room at the table to spread out info. Great place and I look forward to coming back for dinnerSpecial Features:
- Worth a 1 hour drivesushisushiDined on 4/1/2014Kanpai is absolutely worth a 1 hour drive or more to get to for out-of-towners. The food, service, and ambiance are remarkable. It looks like brand new construction and is always spiffy clean. There's 60" TVs for those that want to watch sports. There are 4-person booths, open tables, casual bar, sushi bar, and private room options for seating. The staff are very friendly and helpful, especially for making sushi recommendations. Their drinks are a little expensive, but satisfy. Sushi roll ingredients are explicitly defined and priced at reasonable, customary levels. I'm not a fan of everything on the menu, but the Ménage à trois roll is absolutely wonderful. Everyone should try a Ménage à trois!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Badger-lorette party!headandfootDined on 3/29/2014We went to Kanpai for a bachelorette party the night the Badgers gained a spot in the final four. My sister (the bride-to-be) is a huge fan and really needed a television to watch the game. We were put in a private back room to celebrate and watch the game - it was truly an ideal experience. Thank you!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice expanded menu - loveFoodFanDined on 3/29/2014Nice expanded menu - love the small plates for the "non-sushi" items. We were able to get a good variety and share everything! All the sushi/fish items were very fresh and very yummy! I will come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurantNew2ThisDined on 3/26/2014Menu is very descriptive and the good is excellent!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Sushi!nennypooDined on 3/26/2014The restaurant was great overall. The saketinis are great...the sexy samurai was delicious but after 3 I would have never known there was alcohol in it. For $9 I would expect a little something and had nothing. The sushi was amazing and there is a stuffed avocado appetizer that is not on the menu but OMG was it great. If they have it on special I would highly recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kanpai Milwaukee Very GoodMilwaukeeHowardVIPDined on 3/22/2014Wine, Green Tea, Bimbimbop very hot, two kinds of Maki and green tea ice cream- not too shabby. A fun place before the Rep.Special Features:
- Definitely will go backrunbikeyogaDined on 3/22/2014The service was excellent and the good was delicious. The ginger salad was the best (and biggest) I have had in the area. Yum! I highly recommend going for sushi and am looking forward to my next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- slowboutitDined on 3/14/2014Service was slow despite it not being overly busy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find!sushilunaticDined on 3/14/2014Came her in the recommendation of friends. We were not disappointed! VERY fast service and everything we ordered was fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was very bland. EvenOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/14/2014Food was very bland. Even our spicy tuna roll was bland.
- YummyMsettlerDined on 3/9/2014I love sushi and this place has amazing fresh selections. Huge menu and not too bad on prices. I have been here for lunch and dinner both have great specials. Rolls were delicious and the ginger salads are bigger than in normal sushi restaurants. I will definitely be back many times.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great sushi, nice atmospherelisak7001Dined on 3/8/2014This is some of the best sushi I've had in the Milwaukee area. The service was excellent and the wine list was good. We will definitely come back here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food Plastic MenusmyfavoriterestaurantsDined on 3/8/2014Nanakusa was one of our favorite places and this was the first time we went under the new Kanpai. The food, ambiance, service were great but a little slow. The price was OK depending upon what your ordered and how hungry your are. I would recommend it and we will go back. Menus hard to read with the plastic on them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kan Pai- Variety- Life's SpiceMilwaukeeHowardVIPDined on 2/22/2014We had several kinds of tapas and maki, a little sushi, some wine, a local brew and some green tea, did a lot of sharing and enjoyed.Special Features:
- Great ExperienceDesa2014Dined on 2/21/2014I love this restaurant...the food, the ambience, the service, etc. The Oh My God roll is amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kanpai milwaukeeStellmachDined on 2/15/2014Took my gf here Saturday after valentines. Good atmosphere! We were trying a new place and heard good things about this restaurant.. we were not let down! Ordered the California roll and naruto roll and the menage a trois roll.. did not have any complaints on the rolls! All very good!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding FoodWellFedDined on 2/14/2014We’ve dined at Kanpai since it opened and it has never been a letdown. Our last visit on Valentine’s Day was no different. The food was great, the servers were friendly. Our only complaint would be that on special event nights the restaurant can get very crowded. We made reservations and were able to seat right away but by the time we were eating almost every seat was full and we almost uncomfortably close to other diners. I still rate Kanpai very highly but would suggest to others that if they want to eat there for the first time one of the event nights isn’t as representative of how intimate and relaxed this restaurant can be.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ValanpainnotafanDined on 2/14/2014Been here a few times thought I would really y surprise my wife on Valentine's day with her favorite "sushi" really talked it up and from the moment we arrived it went south....without really dissing the place I will say that the service was really really poor!!!! Even the manager didn't know how to explain it.Special Features: