1001 Spruce St.
Philadelphia, PA 19107Neighborhood:
GreekPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.kanellarestaurant.com/
- Phone: 2159221773
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 10:00am - 3:00pm; Lunch: Friday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner Sunday: MEZE MENU ONLY 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Dinner: Teusday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, Greek
- Executive Chef: Konstantinos Pitsillides
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: BYO Liquor, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access
- Catering: Catering options are available. Please call for details.
A word from Kanella
Kanella is a Greek restaurant located in the Washington Square neighborhood of Philadelphia.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Kanella reviews from OpenTable diners
212 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (140)neighborhood gem (139)great for brunch (79)special occasion (58)great for outdoor dining (55)romantic (46)good for groups (34)great for lunch (30)hot spot (25)kid-friendly (10)late-night find (4)scenic view (4)Show More
- Sunday MezeGoblue16Dined on 8/24/2014Outstanding food at a really good price...$30-$35 a person for 10-15 small plates highlighting Greek food at its finest.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lived up to the reputationOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/23/2014Our first time at Kanella did not disappoint! Great food and outstanding service! Tasty Greek food, reasonable prices and friendly atmosphere. Will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best brunch I've had in awhileAjh714VIPDined on 8/23/2014I've been meaning to try brunch here and so glad I finally did. Everything was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulMTCCVIPDined on 8/22/2014We had the octopus and Kanella sampler as appetizers - terrific. My wife had the lamb and I had the snapper for entrees and both were outstanding. Desserts were delicious.Special Features:
- Outstanding food/service, but noisySuburbanfoodieDined on 8/21/2014The food and the service are outstanding. The chef/owner is from Cyprus, so the food is similar to Greek but different enough to make dining there truly unique. The only negative is that when the restaurant is full, it gets too noisy, but unfortunately that is true at almost all of the best restaurants in town. An especially good deal are the price fixe dinners (choice of vegetarian or meat) available on Sundays. We have been there four or five times, most recently with two other couples, and we have never had a disappointing dish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ever so goodTettemerVIPDined on 8/20/2014It had been about a year or more since our last visit to Kanella. We were once regulars, living a block away. Shame on us. Our return was triumphant. The mad chef greeted us like long-lost cousins. We wolfed lamb dumplings (better than any dim sum dumpling in Chinatown) and sardines and unbelievable octopus. And returned to our old favorite, the whole fish wrapped in grape leaves. Rumor has it that a larger venue is in the works for the cramped, noisy and spectacular Philadelphia gem. Let's hope it's closer to my new home!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DivaDined on 8/20/2014Good food! Calamari was flavorful, tender and not fried. Will go back for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as advertisednativecypriotDined on 8/17/2014If you're looking for a true Cypriot mezedes, this is not the place to go. A pleasant tasting menu, but barely a hint of true Cypriot cooking. Baklava was excellent. Service inattentive.
- Single dinerLmkp3VIPDined on 8/17/2014As a single diner I am often ignored or not engaged. Not the case here at kanella. My server was amazing. Offered recommendations and checked back to see how I was enjoying everything. Great service and great food. Will absolutely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!JennSJDined on 8/15/2014Food and service were beyond expectation. Would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BC31VIPDined on 8/14/2014My husband and I had an early dinner here on Thursday night. We chose to share 4 appetizers instead of getting entrees. The boureki is always a hit with the crispy phyllo and honey. We tried out a chefs specialty of duck sausage with lobster mushrooms- very tasty, the sausage was soft and flavorful. The chef even came out to our table to ask how we liked it! All in all, I've been here several times and will likely come back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice StopDisappointedVIPDined on 8/9/2014The last dined here, the food was good, but an annoying and intrusive handle-bar mustached waiter ruined the experience. Five year's later we returned to celebrate our anniversary and cap off seeing a great musical. The waiter was accommodating and pleasant; a 360 improvement. My wife had the vegetarian moussaka and I had the vegetable stuffed pepper. Both were melt-in-your-mouth experiences. Very happy to add Kanella to our must return list!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic RestaurantJulieDined on 8/8/2014I have been to Kanella many times. The food is always fabulous and the service is outstanding. The place is pretty small and fills up quickly so, reservations are highly recommended. I really can't recommend Kanella enough. I take out of town guests here and they are always impressed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SurpriseSlgcpaDined on 8/7/2014Made a blind reservation & by the end of the meal found a real gem. Lamb kafta was fabulous & spouse's stuffed pepper had her smacking her lips. Service was attentive and spectacular. Only thing that spoiled it was a party of 6 that had no "inside" voices - not restaurant's fault. Definitely recommendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great pre-show dinnerSharonDined on 8/5/2014This is a great neighborhood find & pre show dinner place. Cozy & good food, quick service& good menu. Great idea before you catch a showSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderfully DeliciousLivesToEatVIPDined on 8/5/2014Lucky us, we live just 2 blocks away from Kanella! Consistently delicious and fresh food. Wonderful wait staff! Too bad that they took rice pudding off the menu...it's to die for!Special Features:
- Fantastic authentic food.ScottDined on 8/3/2014The food was very good, and I was super full when I left. The Cyprus breakfast doesn't look like much, but it tastes incredible and leaves you so full! The dips of the day were also awesome. Servers were very busy but when they came around they were very quick. Good stuff from Kanella, I'll definitely be going back for dinner sometime.Special Features:
- Too much hypePQuizDined on 8/3/2014We were looking forward to this brunch, made a reservation via Open Table, arrived to restaurant to find a line, hostess busing tables. People in front of us (3 top) and behind of us (2 top) did not have reservations, they were both seated before us (2 top). I asked the hostess why and she said "our table was still occupied" why did I make a reservation? Our server was fine, we were not informed of the specials or given side plates like other tables. The food was good, we are disappointed by the overall experience. A bummer because the restaurant is quaint and the chef was invested in his product, he was roaming the floor.
- food was so soDeborahVIPDined on 8/2/2014we were expecting authentic greek food. it was just ok and didn't live up to the hype/wait list for a reservationSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/2/2014the food was fantastic from appetizers, main dish and dessert. our waiter was fantastic and it is a byob. can't wait to go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Greek foodSherzVIPDined on 7/30/2014We first had lunch here last week (open for brunch/lunch only on Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday). We shared everything: watermelon salad (I usually resist fruit in salad; this was spectactular), the 3-dip plate, and the Kanella Platter. More than enough for 3, and very inexpensive. Four days later, we were back with other friends for dinner. Again, the 3-dip plate (different dips daily) and Kanella Platter. 3 of us had fish - Bronzino in grape leaves and swordfish - all were excellent! - and one had the chicken, grilled under a brick, which was one of the best chicken dishes ever. The accompanying vegetables were great. I am looking forward to my next visit. There are a few outdoor tables; it's a BYOB.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- In one word: LovelyCarrieLoveDined on 7/26/2014Came here on a Saturday night to celebrate my husband's birthday and everything was perfect! The ambiance is romantic but definitely not stuffy. Our server was very knowledgeable and the chef was walking around talking to the diners. This is a level of service that other restaurants should strive for. The food was amazing! One of the best I've had-- it hit every note perfectly. I highly recommend the grilled quail and my husband loved the goat dish. A wonderful restaurant, you won't be disappointed. Oh and its BYOB!Special Features:
- Fantastic brunchSusanVIPDined on 7/26/2014As always, our meals were delicious - especially the white anchovies with tabollah that wasn't even on the menu. If only the noise level could be lower.Special Features:
- Awesome!JessicaDined on 7/26/2014I love Kanella and would eat here daily if I had the money. Terrific food, good service and amazing Greek frappes!Special Features:
- Great spotnicetimeDined on 7/26/2014We were in Philly for the weekend, and I had done some research ahead of time and found that Kanella was highly rated among locals. The traditional Mediterranean fare was excellent and flavorful.Special Features:
- Festival of flavorsLariskaDined on 7/24/2014Amazing food, lots of different flavors, appetizer portions are small so you can try quite a few of them. Fattoush salad was delicious , rabbit was great!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!CTMCVIPDined on 7/22/2014I have eaten here for brunch on several occasions and finally made it for an evening date. It lived up to expectations and was delicious. My girlfriend has a gluten allergy and they were more than happy to cater for her. By far my favorite restaurant in philadelphia.Special Features:
- Pleasantly SurprisedEllandHDined on 7/22/2014Never knew of Kanella until I read a review in Philly Mag. I had an appointment in the Washington Sq area and decided to try Kanella. The food was fresh and interesting. We had the Dips of the day with warm pita and the Manti. Both excellent.. The stuffed peper and grilled lamb kofta also fresh and well prepared. Desert was yummy! We will definitely be back, soon.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible Sunday Mezze2aimemangerDined on 7/20/2014We have always loved Kanella in the past. On four occasions, the food we ate at Kanella was delicious. So we were looking forward to sampling the Sunday Pri-Fix Mezze special for the first time. But, we were terribly disappointed. The food was mediocre, at best. It felt as though we were being served the week's bad leftovers. The very first dish that came out was served with completely stale bread (at least 3 days old) and the meal went on from there. We are sad that this experience has clouded our appreciation for Kanella.Special Features:
- DeliciousTazbubblesDined on 7/20/2014Enjoyed food ESP never tried before octopus. Beet root salad was delicious. I felt like I was in Greece.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kanella is great Greek food!FoodloverDined on 7/20/2014We loved eating at Kanella! The Sunday mezze dinner was outstanding: plentiful, varied, delicious! The staff was warm and friendly and knowledgable about the food. It's a BYOB so the price stays reasonable. Vegetarians and meat eaters both found terrific variety. Desserts were also wonderful: the lemon tart, semolina cake, and baklava were all perfect! We'll return often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food.PyrovulpesVIPDined on 7/16/2014The food at Kanella is at its worst still excellent. At its best you wonder if the chefs secretly put tincture of opium into it. The service is really good because the wait staff are all knowledgeable and make excellent recommendations. They are also attentive without being overbearing, always a plus.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- momgalDined on 7/16/2014We have been to Kanella before and enjoyed our time there. On July 16th we were very disappointed. We were taking friends there who have never been before. The main problem was our service was terrible. Our waiter was extremely inattentive- we had to ask him to take our order, he put our white wine in an ice bucket away from our table and only came by once to ask if we wanted more. When I asked him for things, he seemed to be annoyed. My particular dish, red snapper, I did not like, but everyone else really enjoyed their meals. It was quite noisy and difficult to hear our friends. I would go back to Kanella again, but if we have a similar experience, that will be it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great brunch!luvAADined on 7/13/2014I love when so many items on a menu look enticing that it is difficult to decide what to order. I went with the classic Kanella platter and it was fabulous. Excellent falafel and grape leaves. Can't wait to try this spot for dinner!Special Features:
- Excellent FoodLizzyPoo021VIPDined on 7/12/2014I took my parents here who were visiting from out of town. Excellent service and food as always. You can never go wrong. It is a small restaurant and it was loud. The server was good, spoke fast and was loud as well. Keep it up Kanella. I will always come back here for Greek food. If you like or love Greek food like I do - I highly recommend this restaurant. Please be aware it is a BYOB.Special Features:
- Saturday brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/12/2014Not too busy. The food was delicious. Definitely would recommend. I had heard great things and wasn't disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding in all ways!BeccDined on 7/10/2014Went because it has been on my list of places to go - what a fabulous restaurant. An absolutely wonderful dining experience - fantastic and superb food with a wonderful depth of flavors in each dish, great service, knowledgeable wait staff, a I love the small size and ambience. I will be back and definitely want to try the Sunday chef's meal.Special Features:
- Innovative Greek foodBeisVIPDined on 7/9/2014Good place to get greek food that is more of a fusion than you would get in the standard far greek restaurant. If you are looking for that (and that is great food as well), then this is not your place.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Birthday dinner with ChefrobinVIPDined on 7/6/2014My daughter and I went to the Sunday night Chef tasting menu and we were not disappointed. Mostly, we were too full. Each plate was unique and interesting and the server was helpful in guiding us from the start. He recommended one of us get the vegetarian choice and one the meat and share so we would have all of the tastes. The price was perfect and the outdoor dining blended perfectly with the food. I highly recommend this place and have only eaten there twice but there is more to come.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TerrificAbbieVIPDined on 7/5/2014One of the best places in town! The dips of the day are always a winner! While the menu is absolutely delicious, the specials are definitely worth listening to! Don't forget dessert! Homemade ice creams and baklava are worth every bite!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.