1001 Spruce St.
Philadelphia, PA 19107Neighborhood:
GreekPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.kanellarestaurant.com/
- Phone: (215) 922-1773
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 10:00am - 3:00pm; Lunch: Friday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner Sunday: MEZE MENU ONLY 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Dinner: Teusday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, Greek
- Executive Chef: Konstantinos Pitsillides
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: BYO Liquor, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access
- Catering: Catering options are available. Please call for details.
A word from Kanella
Kanella is a Greek restaurant located in the Washington Square neighborhood of Philadelphia.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Kanella reviews from OpenTable diners
204 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (152)neighborhood gem (147)great for brunch (79)special occasion (51)great for outdoor dining (48)good for groups (46)romantic (39)great for lunch (35)hot spot (27)scenic view (9)kid-friendly (6)late-night find (6)Show More
- Consistently awesome!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/18/2014Food is inventive and delicious. Expect to be surprised with wonderful out of the norm Greek (that's partly because of the Cypriot flare). Service is warm. Servers are fun and knowledgeable. This is one of our favorite restaurants in Philly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Closest to be eating in GreeceTazbubblesDined on 11/15/2014Best family oriented restaurant. Very cosy & warm. Best seafood in town. Fish of day & dips of day must eats.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- elf222Dined on 11/12/2014Food is fantastic. Only issues are noise level and uncomfortable chairs. But still great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingmojoVIPDined on 11/8/2014This was my first trip to Kanella for dinner; before this I had only ever gone for brunch and a cooking class. I wish I hadn't waited so long! The food was absolutely incredible and the service was excellent. Even though we shared a bunch of appetizers and an entree, we still had some room for dessert and I'm glad we did - the custard that comes with the dessert platter is seriously a taste sensation. Not kidding - you have to try it. I had the beef cheeks and they were delicious, my husband had the rabbit and that was great also. Start to finish one of the best meals I've had in a long time! Thanks Kanella!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and BYOTiffanyVIPDined on 11/7/2014I am so happy I finally made my way here. We started with the Kanella platter which had grape leaves, fresh feta, tomato salad, hummus, olives and pita . This was so delicious. The feta was fresh, tangy, creamy and flat out delicious. The falafel was one of the best, flavorful and authentic ones I've had before. We ate that plate clean! My entrée of stuffed pepper was delicious, loved the pine nuts and lentils inside. My partner's fresh fish of the day in a caper sauce was executed nicely as well. Loved our server, he was perfectly attentive and our wine glasses were never empty! I'll definitely be backSpecial Features:
- AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 11/7/2014This is hands down one of the best restaurants I have ever eaten at. I live in DC - and this is a destination place for me after my first time over five years ago. You want to come hungry and eat some of everything. I wish I lived closer!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really good food (Cypriot), serviceKrunoslavDined on 11/7/2014My third time here over a few years, left me thinking I should go more often. All dish very good, with more than adequate portions unlike most foody places these days. Several seafood choices. Best Avgolimono soup ever (a special). Waiters very friendly as well as sightly ( a rare combination), with good advice when asked. Kitchen not speedy so add 15 minutes to your projected time when reserving. But well worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent dinnerCheersDined on 11/6/2014My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed our early-evening dinner at Kanella. The starters were delicious--especially the warm hummus with mushrooms. And we loved the lamb stew with raisins and capers. Everything was delicious, and the servers were friendly and attentive without being overbearing.Special Features:
- Great place!OpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 11/6/2014Have been there a few times and have had a wonderful meal each time. Service has also always been excellent. Highly recommend it. Great lemon chicken rice soup!
- I've bece a regularJac24VIPDined on 11/5/2014Kanella is consistently delicious, and consistently hard to book with! Since moving to the neighborhood, every other OpenTable Reservation just happens to be Kanella. I ALWAYS order : The Dips of the Day. The Pumpkin-feta from last year still visits me in my dreams The Octopus (or at least someone in my party either dinner or brunch). The most perfectly cooked octopus I've had to date A great bottle of wine: I adore BYOB's Every dish I have ordered has been fantastic: goat, lamb, fish, poultry, you name it. Oh and their lemon tart? A must!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noise so loud couldnt enjoy foodGeorgeVIPDined on 11/5/2014What might have been an extraordinary evening was totally spoiled by high pitched party next to us. We will try again, but never with friends until we an determine if we can find a pleasant noise situation.Special Features:
- Pre-symphony dinnerOxfordPADined on 11/1/2014My husband and I have dined here several times in the past few years, and throughly enjoy the food and experience. The menu is so interesting, but straight forward delicious. I had the market fish and my husband the lamb stew. The aromas throughout the meal were wonderful. The wait staff could not be better. We will keep coming back and telling friends. That the restaurant is BYOB is major perk. Truly wish we lived closer to enjoy it more often, but always top of our list when we are in the city.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kanella never disappointsmonkeyfrogDined on 10/30/2014The food, as usual, was very good. We shared an octopus appetizer - very good, albeit just slightly on the tough side – followed by a fish of the day: a whole branzino. The branzino was excellent, but when we asked the waiter to filet it for us, it went back to the kitchen, and it came out slightly butchered. Still tasted fine, but the presentation was not the best. Coffee was superb. Service was excellent – unobtrusive, but there whenever we needed something.Special Features:
- KanellavaNicePlaceDined on 10/29/2014Food was great. Kanella platter was a nice sampling of appetizers. Exotic spices made it like an adventure. Lamb stew was tender, spicy and aromatic, and had a good "lambiness." Whole fish was deboned at table with few bones left in. Very tasty. Caramel tort was delicious, but the ginger ice cream was fabulous--craving some just thinking about it. Overall, a nice first Greek/Cypriot experience with an attentive staff in a nice corner space. Definitely will recommend to friends.Special Features:
- A definite gem- will returnTheBonz123Dined on 10/28/2014Delicious and interesting Our group of three shared several appetizers and one main dish. We loved every dish and the octopus and meat cheeks were our favorites. The service was superb . Highly recommend this special restaurant .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply the BestAbbieVIPDined on 10/26/2014The best Cypriot dining EVER! Konstantinos knows what he's doing when it comes to this cuisine. The staple dishes to the region take a nice twist with the creativeness of the crew. The flavors are spot on! Brunch is my favorite, dips of the day, roasted potatoes, Cyprus breakfast - and a nice pitcher of homemade bloody mary's! :)Special Features:
- Service not so good.CeebeeDined on 10/26/2014The food here is good. They forgot out appetizers and then were surprised we didn't get them. This kind of service is just sloppy and unprofessional.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/25/2014We love this restaurant. We have eaten here many times. The food is superb!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding Food and Great ServicemonaphroDined on 10/24/2014We ordered a bunch of appetizers to share and one entree... I found this to be the best way to taste what Kanella has to offer... every item was homemade from scratch and fresh, down to the bread, hummus, and ice cream! the fish was spectacular and all the items had delicious sauces or drizzles that complemented the food perfectly... the rest of my party was running almost an hour late due to unforeseen traffic - our waiter was very patient and accommodating, suggesting items and troubleshooting the situation without hesitating... he was very knowledgeable and patient... the chef also came out and greeted all the customers and made sure we were satisfied... overall, very homey experience with a touch of elegance... highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- takucatDined on 10/23/2014Kanella's food and service was excellent. We really enjoyed our avgolemono soup. It's a gem of a restaurant.Special Features:
- GeorgieGeorgieDined on 10/22/2014One of our favorites. Been back many times. Unusual menu. Not the same old, same old, yet everything we've tried has been delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh,vibrant food;excellent waiterexperiencedeaterDined on 10/21/2014We made a wonderfully satisfying meal from an array of appetizers. Everything delicious, and especially delighted by the mackerel and the freshest of fall tomatoes. It wasn't hard to imagine that the chef has a close connection with producers. Our best eating in Philly.Special Features:
- Not rushedNYCPHLVIPDined on 10/19/2014Took some friends who had moved out of the area. Loved sharing the dips of the day. Service was great and not rushed. Thank you for a great mal!Special Features:
- A culinary treasure can be unevendiscriminatingdinerDined on 10/18/2014Overall, Kanella is a gem with food hard to find elsewhere in the City. Its rustic Cypriot cuisine is unusual, adventurous, and usually delicious. The appetizers are wonderful. We had lamb dumplings in a wonderful sauce, a refreshing sliced turnip salad, and great fresh hummus light years from the supermarket kind. My companion had a delicious rabbit dish, while I had an evening special of quail. The latter was over-salted and a bit disappointing, but the rabbit was excellent. The BYOB policy helps keep the fair prices down, too. Desserts are rustic and good, service excellent. It can be loud, however--more a fun place than a talk-business place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- brunch at kanellafoodieDined on 10/18/2014we. 4 of us, had a wonderful brunch at kanella. i'd put in one of my top five spots that i've ever eaten. amazing food!!! crazy good dessert!!! the chef is a true artist. our service couldn't have been better-bill, our waiter, made our experience so enjoyable. it was great to try so many different foods that we have never tasted before (and have them all prepared perfectly.) we will return every time we visit philadelphia!Special Features:
- KanellaNimisDined on 10/18/2014I love greek food and this place was amazing! Super good food and nice greek ambiance.Special Features:
- Good Greek foodHtatlotVIPDined on 10/17/2014We picked this restaurant based on the good reviews on Yelp and we were not disappointed. We enjoyed a relaxing Friday afternoon lunch sitting outside and people watching. They had calf's head as one of their lunch specials which grabbed our attention. The two of us shared that and the lamb burger and a Greek salad. The greek salad was excellent with lots of creamy feta cheese on top and a nice lemon and olive oil dressing. Both of our meals were prepared nicely and we enjoyed them. The restaurant was not very crowded since it was a bit later in the afternoon and the service was good. My only complain was that the food was not very hot when it came out.Special Features:
- Great food!MiraDined on 10/15/2014Everything I've tried on the menu is great so far! The service is very friendly and fast. Great place for both a romantic dinner or a group dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great greek foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/15/2014Every aspect of the meal was excellent. Great food, great service, a little noisy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good as everworlddinersVIPDined on 10/14/2014We have been eating at Kanella for a pre-theater meal almost since it opened. It continues to be among our favorites. We particularly appreciate the high quality of the food and the creative preparation. Service is always friendly and prompt with regular stops from the chef to highlight his best picks for the evening. Goat this night was a new and happy try for me and cooked to perfection. My wife had fish also perfectly cooked. As always the vegetables, prepared in the Cyprus style were a gem. Octopus appetizer was as good as I've had anywhere. Deserts were excellent in the Greek/Cypriot style. Still reminds us of our visit to Cyprus.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful brunchJwhmimaDined on 10/12/2014Everything about Kanella is wonderful. But the noise level can be deafening. They should consider installing some sound muffling materials.Special Features:
- Great brunch spotMareVIPDined on 10/12/2014Kanella deserves it's great rep. Awesome food and service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExceptionalFineDining1VIPDined on 10/7/2014The service at Kanella was excellent. The food outstanding. A wonderful neighborhood gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very disappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/3/2014This restaurant was was extremely disappointing. The hummus appetizer was the only good dish. The bronzino was served as a whole fish, and the waiter offered to filet it, but he did a totally incompetant job - leaving the fish replete with bones; and it was dry and tasteless. I made the mistake of ordering the wood pigeon entree - which was completely unappetizing in presentation and taste - the only good thing was that the portion was so tiny that it didn't make much difference. The service was very slow, leaving us no time for desert or coffee. The restaurant is deafeningly loud and extremely cramped; the waiter couldn't even get to our table without difficulty.
- DisappointingkatrinkaDined on 9/30/2014Everything was OK, but nothing outstanding. The salads were fresh -- not terribly interesting, the hummus excellent, the vegetarian muss aka (ex spelling) very heavy, and pretty dull, seemed heavy on potatoes and turnips, and the wild buck-shot bird virtually without any mean. We've been there several times, and have never been overwhelmed, so I think we'll cross it off our list.Special Features:
- Consistently tasty Cypriot cuisinemiamiforlifeVIPDined on 9/27/2014Kanella is an outstanding Cypriot restaurant that never ceases to disappoint. The restaurant serves traditional Cypriot cuisine (similar to Greek cuisine. The place is BYO and you can save a lot of money by being able to bring your own wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this neighborhood gemLizzyPoo021VIPDined on 9/27/2014I have been to this restaurant numerous times due to the food being outstanding and I love the cute dining room. Reminds me of being in Greece. Everything was great - except for once we completed our meeting, and this seems to happen every time we go - there is a long delay from the time we are finished with our food and then receiving the check. Not sure what happens, but it is annoying. It was loud on this particular Saturday afternoon, a few groups of women, but the food was excellent. Will continue to go! Just wish the restaurant would figure or hire more wait staff.Special Features:
- Great Birthday DinnerMaryDined on 9/26/2014Went to Kanella last Friday evening to celebrate my husband's birthday with our two adult children. Great food including the whole fish, filleted at the table. Chef came and spoke with us about a variety of menu choices. Everything is well prepared here, it is obvious that the chef and staff have great enthusiasm for the food and guests. We always have a wonderful meal here.Special Features:
- It wasn't badscribdafoodieDined on 9/21/2014Didn't realize that they only offered Cypriot Mezze on Sundays when I made the reservation. When the server informed us of that we stayed because we were already there although we were all really excited about the a la carte menu. There were three of us so we went with two regular mezze options and one vegetarian, for more variety. Normally ,when you have multiple courses, the better restaurants will change out your plates and silverware but we had to ask them to every time. Also, dessert wasn't included which I thought was strange since it usually is in multiple course dinners. At the end, we were overcharged but the server promptly fixed that for us. Good place overall but I'd like to try their menu one of these days.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty GoodmmmmmVIPDined on 9/21/2014We went for Sunday dinner, which is a fixed menu ($30 for vegetarian and $35 for meat/fish). The menu is made that day. There were 4 of us and the waiter suggested 2 vegetarian and 2 meat/fish so we could try everything - that worked perfectly. The first course of salads were all fantastic and the lamb short rib was a hit. Nobody cared for the swordfish. You get around 10 dishes, so portions are small but you get to try a LOT of different things. Food was fine, definitely worth the low price. Service was slow, we sat at 5 and didn't leave until nearly 7. They also don't clear your plate between courses, which is a bit odd. Overall good experience.