1001 Spruce St.
Philadelphia, PA 19107Neighborhood:
GreekPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.kanellarestaurant.com/
- Phone: 2159221773
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 10:00am - 3:00pm; Lunch: Friday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner Sunday: MEZE MENU ONLY 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Dinner: Teusday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, Greek
- Executive Chef: Konstantinos Pitsillides
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: BYO Liquor, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access
- Catering: Catering options are available. Please call for details.
A word from Kanella
Kanella is a Greek restaurant located in the Washington Square neighborhood of Philadelphia.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Kanella reviews from OpenTable diners
223 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (151)neighborhood gem (147)great for brunch (87)great for outdoor dining (63)special occasion (55)romantic (48)good for groups (39)great for lunch (30)hot spot (24)scenic view (6)kid-friendly (6)late-night find (4)Show More
- Consistently tasty Cypriot cuisinemiamiforlifeVIPDined on 9/27/2014Kanella is an outstanding Cypriot restaurant that never ceases to disappoint. The restaurant serves traditional Cypriot cuisine (similar to Greek cuisine. The place is BYO and you can save a lot of money by being able to bring your own wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this neighborhood gemLizzyPoo021VIPDined on 9/27/2014I have been to this restaurant numerous times due to the food being outstanding and I love the cute dining room. Reminds me of being in Greece. Everything was great - except for once we completed our meeting, and this seems to happen every time we go - there is a long delay from the time we are finished with our food and then receiving the check. Not sure what happens, but it is annoying. It was loud on this particular Saturday afternoon, a few groups of women, but the food was excellent. Will continue to go! Just wish the restaurant would figure or hire more wait staff.Special Features:
- Great Birthday DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/26/2014Went to Kanella last Friday evening to celebrate my husband's birthday with our two adult children. Great food including the whole fish, filleted at the table. Chef came and spoke with us about a variety of menu choices. Everything is well prepared here, it is obvious that the chef and staff have great enthusiasm for the food and guests. We always have a wonderful meal here.Special Features:
- It wasn't badscribdafoodieDined on 9/21/2014Didn't realize that they only offered Cypriot Mezze on Sundays when I made the reservation. When the server informed us of that we stayed because we were already there although we were all really excited about the a la carte menu. There were three of us so we went with two regular mezze options and one vegetarian, for more variety. Normally ,when you have multiple courses, the better restaurants will change out your plates and silverware but we had to ask them to every time. Also, dessert wasn't included which I thought was strange since it usually is in multiple course dinners. At the end, we were overcharged but the server promptly fixed that for us. Good place overall but I'd like to try their menu one of these days.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty GoodmmmmmVIPDined on 9/21/2014We went for Sunday dinner, which is a fixed menu ($30 for vegetarian and $35 for meat/fish). The menu is made that day. There were 4 of us and the waiter suggested 2 vegetarian and 2 meat/fish so we could try everything - that worked perfectly. The first course of salads were all fantastic and the lamb short rib was a hit. Nobody cared for the swordfish. You get around 10 dishes, so portions are small but you get to try a LOT of different things. Food was fine, definitely worth the low price. Service was slow, we sat at 5 and didn't leave until nearly 7. They also don't clear your plate between courses, which is a bit odd. Overall good experience.
- The fish was unbearably salty!!!disappointedDined on 9/21/2014I was going to go with my usual order: the kebab. But after hearing the specials, I went against my insticts and picked the smoked fish. After eating a few bites, I told my server that the fish was way too salty! He reacted by saying that he had told me it would be "overwhelming" because it was smoked. Perhaps it was due to the heavy accent of my server, but I definitely did not catch him saying that the fish was overwhelmingly salty. And second of all, even if he had said that, Kanella, do you really think it's a wise idea to serve something that is "overwhelming" to your patrons? I could feel my arteries clogging up as I was eating! I was so queasy that I had to skip my favorite dessert: baklava. Not sure if I would return again.Special Features:
- Just OK.OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/20/2014The food was well prepared, but not too innovative or special. The flavors were subdued. In addition, one of the dishes (Shakshuka) arrived with so little bread we had to constantly ask for more, and each time we got another slice, and another slice, and another. A little annoying.
- Exquisite Food and ServiceRRucciDined on 9/16/2014Food was fresh, delicious, prepared with care and served beautifully. Johnny, our waiter, could not have been more attentive, warm and welcoming and present. Clearly a Five-Star restaurant which I would highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Place-not good serviceChemFoodieDined on 9/14/2014This is the second time that I have gone to Kanella. The first time I went I loved it all, the place, the food and the service. This time around I was a bit disappointed with the service. I went there for brunch with one of my friends whom I had not seen in months. The moment the waiter came he started rushing us to order. Since we took a bit longer to order our food, he proceeded to say that we needed to order quickly or leave because he had another party of two coming and he wanted to have the table available for them. We ordered our food, but he rushed us out!! Not very nice!!!! I understand it was a Sunday and all restaurants are busy on Sundays for brunch, but it is not the way to treat your customers!Special Features:
- Excellent food, awesome wait staff!GrazerDined on 9/14/2014As always the food, quality and service are excellent. A definite must!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodieVIPDined on 9/13/2014This is the best Greek food I've ever had. Each dish is authentically prepared, but has the chef's creative twist done to perfection.Special Features:
- Love this place.sweetpea87Dined on 9/13/2014I came here with a foodie friend for brunch on a Saturday afternoon. The place was not packed, although I made a reservation because I heard there is usually a long wait for a table. We had brunch, tea/coffee and dessert. Everything was perfectly seasoned, the waiter was knowledgable and friendly, and the ambiance was charming. Can't wait to come here again! I've already told some friends about this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply the bestAbbieVIPDined on 9/13/2014Brunch or dinner you will not be underwhelmed! You will want to try everything on the menu, BUT save room for baklava and homemade icecream!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- yum!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/11/2014Had the lamb dumplings and the vegetarian mousaka. Both were delicious! The dumplings were served on sauce of yogurt and oil that had a warm, nutty flavor with just a bit of kick. The vegetarian mousaka was very hearty for being vegetables and not lamb. Perfectly flavored! Such a delicious meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great GreeklotusblossumDined on 9/11/2014Terrific flavors, quality ingredients, good service. Loved it.Special Features:
- birthday eventBibbDined on 9/6/2014We chose this place for the reputation,the uniqueness of the food, the convenience of the neighborhood and the festive ambianceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't forget - it's BYOBpseudandryVIPDined on 8/27/2014We forgot it was BYOB. For us, it changed the atmosphere and meal we had. Not that we're winos, but it made our meal go rather quickly. Service was fine, but since we weren't lingering over our dishes, it seemed that as soon as one plate was empty, the next one came. The squid and the octopus appetizers were properly prepared and tasty. We got 3 appetizers and one dinner to share. We shared the goat meat platter, and it was plenty of food to share. We would come here again, but because we like Greek food, and that's what we got. Nothing to r.a.v.e. about, but good quality food and preparation.Special Features:
- Sunday MezeGoblue16Dined on 8/24/2014Outstanding food at a really good price...$30-$35 a person for 10-15 small plates highlighting Greek food at its finest.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lived up to the reputationOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/23/2014Our first time at Kanella did not disappoint! Great food and outstanding service! Tasty Greek food, reasonable prices and friendly atmosphere. Will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best brunch I've had in awhileAjh714VIPDined on 8/23/2014I've been meaning to try brunch here and so glad I finally did. Everything was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulMTCCVIPDined on 8/22/2014We had the octopus and Kanella sampler as appetizers - terrific. My wife had the lamb and I had the snapper for entrees and both were outstanding. Desserts were delicious.Special Features:
- Outstanding food/service, but noisySuburbanfoodieDined on 8/21/2014The food and the service are outstanding. The chef/owner is from Cyprus, so the food is similar to Greek but different enough to make dining there truly unique. The only negative is that when the restaurant is full, it gets too noisy, but unfortunately that is true at almost all of the best restaurants in town. An especially good deal are the price fixe dinners (choice of vegetarian or meat) available on Sundays. We have been there four or five times, most recently with two other couples, and we have never had a disappointing dish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ever so goodTettemerVIPDined on 8/20/2014It had been about a year or more since our last visit to Kanella. We were once regulars, living a block away. Shame on us. Our return was triumphant. The mad chef greeted us like long-lost cousins. We wolfed lamb dumplings (better than any dim sum dumpling in Chinatown) and sardines and unbelievable octopus. And returned to our old favorite, the whole fish wrapped in grape leaves. Rumor has it that a larger venue is in the works for the cramped, noisy and spectacular Philadelphia gem. Let's hope it's closer to my new home!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DivaDined on 8/20/2014Good food! Calamari was flavorful, tender and not fried. Will go back for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as advertisednativecypriotDined on 8/17/2014If you're looking for a true Cypriot mezedes, this is not the place to go. A pleasant tasting menu, but barely a hint of true Cypriot cooking. Baklava was excellent. Service inattentive.
- Single dinerLmkp3VIPDined on 8/17/2014As a single diner I am often ignored or not engaged. Not the case here at kanella. My server was amazing. Offered recommendations and checked back to see how I was enjoying everything. Great service and great food. Will absolutely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!JennSJDined on 8/15/2014Food and service were beyond expectation. Would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BC31VIPDined on 8/14/2014My husband and I had an early dinner here on Thursday night. We chose to share 4 appetizers instead of getting entrees. The boureki is always a hit with the crispy phyllo and honey. We tried out a chefs specialty of duck sausage with lobster mushrooms- very tasty, the sausage was soft and flavorful. The chef even came out to our table to ask how we liked it! All in all, I've been here several times and will likely come back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice StopDisappointedVIPDined on 8/9/2014The last dined here, the food was good, but an annoying and intrusive handle-bar mustached waiter ruined the experience. Five year's later we returned to celebrate our anniversary and cap off seeing a great musical. The waiter was accommodating and pleasant; a 360 improvement. My wife had the vegetarian moussaka and I had the vegetable stuffed pepper. Both were melt-in-your-mouth experiences. Very happy to add Kanella to our must return list!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic RestaurantJulieDined on 8/8/2014I have been to Kanella many times. The food is always fabulous and the service is outstanding. The place is pretty small and fills up quickly so, reservations are highly recommended. I really can't recommend Kanella enough. I take out of town guests here and they are always impressed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SurpriseSlgcpaDined on 8/7/2014Made a blind reservation & by the end of the meal found a real gem. Lamb kafta was fabulous & spouse's stuffed pepper had her smacking her lips. Service was attentive and spectacular. Only thing that spoiled it was a party of 6 that had no "inside" voices - not restaurant's fault. Definitely recommendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great pre-show dinnerSharonDined on 8/5/2014This is a great neighborhood find & pre show dinner place. Cozy & good food, quick service& good menu. Great idea before you catch a showSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderfully DeliciousLivesToEatVIPDined on 8/5/2014Lucky us, we live just 2 blocks away from Kanella! Consistently delicious and fresh food. Wonderful wait staff! Too bad that they took rice pudding off the menu...it's to die for!Special Features:
- Fantastic authentic food.ScottDined on 8/3/2014The food was very good, and I was super full when I left. The Cyprus breakfast doesn't look like much, but it tastes incredible and leaves you so full! The dips of the day were also awesome. Servers were very busy but when they came around they were very quick. Good stuff from Kanella, I'll definitely be going back for dinner sometime.Special Features:
- Too much hypePQuizDined on 8/3/2014We were looking forward to this brunch, made a reservation via Open Table, arrived to restaurant to find a line, hostess busing tables. People in front of us (3 top) and behind of us (2 top) did not have reservations, they were both seated before us (2 top). I asked the hostess why and she said "our table was still occupied" why did I make a reservation? Our server was fine, we were not informed of the specials or given side plates like other tables. The food was good, we are disappointed by the overall experience. A bummer because the restaurant is quaint and the chef was invested in his product, he was roaming the floor.
- food was so soDeborahVIPDined on 8/2/2014we were expecting authentic greek food. it was just ok and didn't live up to the hype/wait list for a reservationSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/2/2014the food was fantastic from appetizers, main dish and dessert. our waiter was fantastic and it is a byob. can't wait to go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Greek foodSherzVIPDined on 7/30/2014We first had lunch here last week (open for brunch/lunch only on Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday). We shared everything: watermelon salad (I usually resist fruit in salad; this was spectactular), the 3-dip plate, and the Kanella Platter. More than enough for 3, and very inexpensive. Four days later, we were back with other friends for dinner. Again, the 3-dip plate (different dips daily) and Kanella Platter. 3 of us had fish - Bronzino in grape leaves and swordfish - all were excellent! - and one had the chicken, grilled under a brick, which was one of the best chicken dishes ever. The accompanying vegetables were great. I am looking forward to my next visit. There are a few outdoor tables; it's a BYOB.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- In one word: LovelyCarrieLoveDined on 7/26/2014Came here on a Saturday night to celebrate my husband's birthday and everything was perfect! The ambiance is romantic but definitely not stuffy. Our server was very knowledgeable and the chef was walking around talking to the diners. This is a level of service that other restaurants should strive for. The food was amazing! One of the best I've had-- it hit every note perfectly. I highly recommend the grilled quail and my husband loved the goat dish. A wonderful restaurant, you won't be disappointed. Oh and its BYOB!Special Features:
- Fantastic brunchSusanVIPDined on 7/26/2014As always, our meals were delicious - especially the white anchovies with tabollah that wasn't even on the menu. If only the noise level could be lower.Special Features: