Kamei Baru Japanese Seafood Restaurant
990 Smithe St
Vancouver, BC V6Z 0A4Neighborhood:
JapanesePrice: CAN$30 and under
Kamei Baru Japanese Seafood Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.kameiroyale.com/
- Phone: 6045598588x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Monday: 4:30pm - 10:30pm, Tuesday - Thursday: 4:30pm - 11:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:30pm - 11:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Fusion / Eclectic, Japanese
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: We presently offer an all day drink special of $3.99 pints and $10.99 pitchers of select domestic beers.
Also come and see our $1 oyster special during happy hours.
See our website for more details.
A word from Kamei Baru Japanese Seafood Restaurant
Introducing and spreading Japanese seafood from 1972, today we are the most experienced traditional and fusion Japanese seafood restaurant in Vancouver. Now we introduce another new level of fusion seafood.Continued
We introduce Kamei Baru.
We introduce Kamei Baru.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerLate Night Find
Kamei Baru Japanese Seafood Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Kamei Baru Japanese Seafood Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
17 reviews since May 4, 2014
- Ambiance3.5Noise LevelEnergetic
good for groups (9)neighborhood gem (7)fit for foodies (4)late-night find (4)vibrant bar scene (4)special occasion (2)great for lunch (2)hot spot (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/30/2014Service is nice and fast. It's a typical bar restaurant, with TV's tuned to sports channels. Great for groups, laid-back. For me the tables were a little bit too close to each other -- it almost feels like you're eating with strangers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- beautiful sushivortexDined on 8/8/2014great quality and presentation. Servers are lovely. I love how they present the sushi. Very friendlySpecial Features:
- Kamei BaruPM19Dined on 8/5/2014What a good find for our first ever meal in Canada. A very lively place with good food & service. Please lose the big TV screens showing sport all night and it will be perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Japanese Sushi and TappasNostrumxDined on 8/2/2014We found the dining experience at this restaurant enjoyable. I was with a vegetarian and person who eats no vegetables and both found a good variety of dishes on the menu to suit them. The quality of the items we ordered were good and the portions were generous. The sushi was nicely balanced between the filling and the rice and the fish were good quality. We will come again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great menuOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/20/2014I like Japanese restaurants that offer a diverse menu and this one certainly does. Have been here twice now and both times I have enjoyed the food and the atmosphere. The service is very friendly and efficient. I recommend it -it's right next to the big Scotiabank movie theatre so good for an early dinner before a movie.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, good sushiTcairlDined on 7/2/2014Great place for hanging with friends or on a casual date The sushi was excellent and I highly recommend the cheese ballsSpecial Features:
- Delicious Food, Fun AtmospherejenrobDined on 6/25/2014The food at Baru is fabulous- best miso soup I've ever eaten- and so many unique rolls to choose from, in addition to all the amazing seafood dishes. The atmosphere is fun- great tunes, sports on the big TV screens and very sweet servers who will go out of their way to make your dining experience a positive one. This place definitely has an awesome energy about it and and a noticeably authentic Japanese feel.Special Features:
- Great for happy hourKelvinKDined on 6/21/2014If you plan to go to see a movie at Scotiabank Theatre on Burrard, this place is great. I pound back the oysters, wings, and drinks during happy hour which is from 4:30-6:00pm. I can't think of a better place to gather with my friends before the shows start. I do recommend getting a reservation. I have seen the place packed on more than a few occasions.Special Features:
- Beat my ExpectationsNettyDined on 6/7/2014I am familiar with the Kamei group of restaurants, Ebisu on Robson is one of my favourites and Kamei Royale on Burrard - I was super excited to try Baru. They blew my expectations away - from the service, which was attentive but not overbearing to the presentation of the food (absolutely beautiful) to the flavours of each dish. I will definitely recommend this place and wouldn't think twice about going back.Special Features:
- No surprisesTypicalKameiDined on 5/31/2014Typical Kamei restaurant style. Nothing exceptional but decent food at an average price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mother's Day DinnerjleeDined on 5/11/2014The food and the selections were good. The portions were on the small side and that makes it a bit more expensive than expected. The servers were quite helpful but slow at times. It would work better if they assign servers to specific tables as it gets confusing for them not knowing what tables have been helped. Overall, 7/10.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 9 reviews are from the Kamei Baru Japanese Seafood Restaurant reviews archive.
- TastyasbettsDined on 4/26/2014This is a great little sushi spot. The black pepper tuna tataki is amazing! The service is efficient and friendly. Good sake too ;)Special Features:
- Nice Japanese food - great oysters!kwoolfDined on 4/12/2014We recently travelled from Port Moody for a downtown date night. We decided on Kamie Baru as we like the online menu as advertised in the Open Table link. I think something in this link is not updated as the menu was not quite as advertised (I'd say about 70 percent of the menu was common with the online link). Overall we were quite happy with the meal and loved the fresh oysters and the draft beer pricing. I'd go back if I were downtown and wanted sushi but not as a special trip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decadant!ShlemmaDined on 4/9/2014Food:4.5/5 Oyster Tacos 5/5 To die for. I've never had an oyster in my entire life, but I must say, having one deep fried and placed in a fish-like taco was amazing. I actually thought it tasted like a filet-o-fish! You get three of them on a long plate, and we had three people dining, so it worked perfectly. A great teaser for the main event. Loco Moco Chicken (my main dish) 3.5/5 Good concept. Nothing spectacular, though it was tasty. Other: My boyfriend ordered the curry (with pork). It says on the menu that it takes 3 days to make, and I'd believe it. The sauce was incredible! I'd rate it a 4/5. Atmosphere: 4.5/5 Service: 3.5/5 Great place!Special Features:
- Great service and kid friendlyOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/29/2014I went to Kamei Baru with my wife and 1.5 year old, and the staff was extremely accommodating and friendly to our family. Their happy hour selection was abundant and delicious, and the overall Japanese dining experience felt authentic. I would recommend this place to my friends and go back for another meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fuuuuusion!McDillaDined on 3/3/2014Japanese restaurant meets Canadian sportsbar. I felt a bit guilty watching sports and eating Japanese food. Not guilty enough to stop though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous fresh seafoodmyklDined on 2/21/2014Two visits so far. Sashmi and raw oysters are fabulous, very well presented and impecably fresh. The brussel sprouts with capers were a surprising treat. There more things on the menu I want to try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Japanese Bar/RestaurantMarilouVIPDined on 2/17/2014Although this is more of a bar than a restaurant, I had a very good and satisfying dinner here. The food was fresh and had great flavor! I would have returned if I had more time but sad to say that I had a tight schedule while visiting Vancouver. I will be sure to return to Kamei Baru the next time that I am back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome Happy HourOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/30/2014Great food! Went for the Happy Hour and was also reasonably impressed with selection and pricing but oysters not on par with Coast's or Joe Fortes' happy hour oysters. Good drink specials as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was good, but a serverAkitaDined on 1/17/2014The food was good, but a server was terrible...... She was rude.Special Features: