Kamehachi of Tokyo - Wells Street
1531 N Wells Street
Chicago, IL 60610Neighborhood:
SushiPrice: $30 and under
Kamehachi of Tokyo - Wells Street
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.kamehachi.com/
- Phone: (312) 664-3663
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Sunday: 11:30am - 12 midnight
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Japanese
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Full menu & custom menus available for private corporate events. Sushi chefs available for "on-site" if desired.
- Private Party Facilities: Larger tables available year round in the patio dining area.
- Private Party Contact: Carl Meir 8475620064
- Entertainment: Kamehachi of Tokyo offers an eclectic mix of contemporary adult music on the main floor & outdoor patio. Progressive music is offered upstairs.
- Special Events: Please note our new address, we have moved into a beautiful new space just 100 yards north of our old location. Live entertainment and karaoke, call for details.
A word from Kamehachi of Tokyo - Wells Street
Serving Chicago since 1967, Kamehachi of Tokyo offers the finest sushi, teriyaki, tempura & noodle dishes.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSushi
Kamehachi of Tokyo - Wells Street - Best Restaurants in Old Town ›
Kamehachi of Tokyo - Wells Street reviews from OpenTable diners
55 reviews since August 1, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (29)fit for foodies (17)special occasion (15)good for groups (15)romantic (13)great for outdoor dining (9)hot spot (8)vibrant bar scene (4)late-night find (4)great for lunch (4)kid-friendly (2)notable wine list (2)great for brunch (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Thanks Kamehachi!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/21/2014Had dinner there this past Friday and everything was great! Hostess very pleasant when I said we would be late, seated right away at great table, and our server was outstanding. I have an allergy and she was so attentive to it, which means a lot to me. Our food, and even wine for that matter, turned out wonderful. Nice and quiet too, great for a romantic lil spot! We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/14/2014Awful service ... Food was good but rice was not well cooked. Too bad for a sushi restaurant!! We won't recommend it and surely won't come back. Really bad quality-price ratio. Really expensive prices and not enough good meals.Special Features:
- Creative sushiOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/10/2014Every thing we ate was great. From the apps to main courseSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very GoodNeighborVIPDined on 10/31/2014We have been coming to Kamehachi for over 40 years..and four locations. The current restaurant is very good.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/31/2014Kamehachi continues to be a personal favorite of mine as a guest, foodie and now trained chef. Keep up the good work.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EmmyEmmyVIPDined on 10/24/2014Always reliable, beautiful setting, large and interesting menu. We frequently eat here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice EveningLotharVIPDined on 10/22/2014Fish is wonderfully fresh and well-prepared. Nice variety of Maki rolls. Sake list is a little overpriced, but pleasantly diverse.Special Features:
- Low Key or Out with GroupJNO621VIPDined on 10/18/2014Great food and service in a fun neighborhood. It's a good place to go any day of the week when you don't want to dress up to go to River North. It's never super crowded so you can actually talk to your friends without yelling. Clean, dim lighting without being to romantic or overdone. If you ahve a group of 4-5 that just wnat to go out for dinner for a low-key night or want to grab something to eat before you go to the bars in the neighborhood, this is a good spot. I've been here before wearing no makeup and casual clothing (tshirt and jeans), I've also been here after a yoga class (although that apparel is probably encouraged ha), and I've been there super dressed.. I felt comfortable every time.Special Features:
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/16/2014Given how expensive this restaurant was, the food was disappointing, only mediocre.
- Great service, excellent foodAliceDined on 10/10/2014Went with a small group of friends. We made a reservation for the upstairs section knowing it is more calm and quiet, and so it was. Appetizers and rolls were amazing. Good selection of wines. Great dining experience.Special Features:
- Exactly what we wanted.Jmf1928Dined on 10/4/2014Excellent service, reasonable pricing, nice ambience, excellent sushi, and good drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lesson Learnedvir2ul1Dined on 10/4/2014To be fair, we've eaten at Kamehachi several times and it's been good. This time, I should have seen what was coming. If you go to this restaurant as a couple looking for a relaxing dinner and they seat you upstairs across from a table of 14 people having a loud social gathering, you should ask to move as far away as possible. We actually did move a few tables away. But then another group came in across from us. Couldn't hear ourselves talk. Even the waitress said, "I know". By that point we were halfway through the meal and decided to hang in there, finish up ASAP and leave. I just hate paying over $100 for a miserable time. Next time we'll be more selective about where they seat us, and maybe the host will use better judgement too.
- Great dinnerSteveMDined on 9/12/2014Had dinner hear before a Second City show. The waitress was patient and explained certain ingredients of their making rolls, and made some great suggestions. The black cod was fantastic and the fish was all very fresh and delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Sunday DinnerJohnDined on 8/31/2014Great sushi but service was a little slow. Granted it was a Sunday night on a holiday weekend, but I think our waitress was a little overwhelmed. I'd definitely return though as I'm sure service was just a little backed up.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always at the top of the gameOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/30/2014Kamehachi represents the very best in authentic Japanese food and sushi in the Chicago area. I have visited the restaurant many times, but this time I shared dinner with my sister and my best friend. All three of us love sushi. Fish and sushi was our focus. We did add vegetable and shrimp tempura which is always perfect, but fish and seafood was the star of the show. The service was (as always) was spectacular. We have everything from oysters to Hamemachi to soft shell crab to a wonderful sushi roll called Tales of Wasabi. This is always a must do for me and my family and friends when I am in Chicago.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- absolutely deliciousJinnypieDined on 8/22/2014the sashimi was very fresh, the sushi was delicious, the waitress was very friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 307 reviews are from the Kamehachi of Tokyo - Wells Street reviews archive.
- Good food, good atmosphere.ChristinaVIPDined on 7/17/2014The food and atomosphere were great. The food was a big pricey, and not the best sushi in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- michaellitwinVIPDined on 7/16/2014We think this is the best sushi in Chicago. Great service and great atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bourneman1Dined on 7/15/2014Good Sushi and nice experience. Would recommend for anyone looking for a nice sushi dinner. Not really ideal for larger groups.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overpriced, bland and rushedJACKVIPDined on 7/12/2014Made the trip from downtown to Kamehachi to try it out, and were unimpressed. Also felt rushed by our server. Food was unbelievably bland - nothing you'd expect from the prices. Thought we had a real winner but were quite disappointed.
- Accommodated us at the last minuteOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/4/2014We found out that our favorite sushi place was closed so we were able to squeeze in to Kamehachi at the last minute. The service was great, and the rolls were affordable and tasty. I love the outdoor patio, and the front of the restaurant but the back of the restaurant (where we were seated) is a little less appealing.Special Features:
- Noise is horribleVelafjordDined on 6/19/2014I'm not picky but if you taking a can and drining more then 5 minutes it's not worth it ... Horrible service . Forgot our food on the counter and we needed to look for her to pass. Bythe table . Again we are not picky . Dispute a child screaming on our side the restaurant on the back is very noisySpecial Features:
- Always greatEatingIn312VIPDined on 6/12/2014I order take out and dine at kamahachi often. Always great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice placeLovesgreatfoodDined on 6/7/2014This was a fine place for a quick meal of Japanese food. It wasn't outstanding, but would satisfy a basic craving for the usual suspects. It felt a little rushed, but we didn't order a lot so maybe that was part of it. I don't think I would go back and would prefer to try another Japanese place next time I'm in Chicago. One bonus though was it was on Wells Street in Old Town, which is worth a walk through so location was great.
- Great time!IheartChicagoDined on 6/7/2014High quality sushi, delicious and creative specials, attentive wait staff and busboy, great night with friends. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worst Outside Dining Chairs Ever!LunchLoverVIPDined on 5/21/2014The food was great. The service was terrific. But their outdoor dining chairs are constructed in such a way as to make it impossible to sit back in them comfortably. "Was it just me? "I wonderded. Nope! Every now and then I'd look around to see virtually everyone there shifting positions constantly to try to find a comfortable position. They are pretty ... but to be avoided. Just an example of how an aspect of a customer's experience completely unrelated to food or service can destroy an otherwise delightful meal.
- SpectacularTastyTravelsDined on 5/17/2014Yum! -the sushi choices were exciting, beautifully presented and fun and the steak for the non-sushi diner was perfectSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice food, to bad about the servicedennisj2109Dined on 5/16/2014We dined at Kamehachi, before a Zanies show. A couple of years back I ate at Kamehachi and was very enthusiastic about it. I promised them an experience. Well, they got that, but not the one I hoped for. The menu I remembered wasn't there anymore (which I could understand). Instead, we had regular starters and entrees, next to the sashimi and sushi. It must be said that the starters were excellent! I like the shrimp, but the Yakatori and tuna were delicious. As good as the starters were, the entrees were very average. The chicken teriyaki was ok, but only accompanied by a plate full of broccoli. Service was bad. Very slow, forgot the black rice (although we asked twice) and the peper we ordered wasn't in sight when out meal was finished.
- Mediocre sushi placeChicagoFoodieVIPDined on 5/15/2014Sad that this neighborhood gem lost all it's charm after moving locations. The food is still pretty much the same, but restaurant ambience is very predictable 90s era sushi restaurant decor (think zen rock garden and dark woods). The service is really disappointing especially after walking away with a $150 bill for a weeknight dinner (no drinks).Special Features:
- Good Sushi SpotOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/14/2014We had a great time for a group dinner before a class in Old Town. Prompt, attentive service, good sushi, and a quiet atmosphere which allowed us to converse. We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Almost GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/11/2014My only complaint is that we were seated next to a wall and in a section that was already crowded, while there was plenty of room on the other side of the restaurant. We were only two, but parties of two were seated on four tops as the place became more crowded. I should have asked for a different table, but it was my first time. I wasn't sure how strict they were about 4 tops going to parties of two. We were on a date and seated next to a family. I think hostesses should be thinking more about their customers and less about keeping the wait staff happy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sushi SolidtjuicetmomDined on 5/10/2014Loved the sushi. We love this restaurant and it is a must visit while in Chicago. The sushi was fantastic, but the service and atmosphere failed to impress. We had 8 pm reservations and were seated promptly. Unfortunately, we were escorted upstairs- cold and atmospherless. Our server was terrible, it took her 20 minutes to come to our table and then she basically ignored us after serving. Fortunately, the water service was great. Always ask for seating on the first level- as that is where they keep their top service. I will give them one more chance, because their sushi is solid.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Flavorful and delicious fresh fishEatieVIPDined on 5/9/2014I had sushi and also a noodle dish with lots of fresh tasting vegetables.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just goodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/2/2014I thought the scallop roll was amazing, but we had a salmon roll that was nothing special. We also had a trio of pieces and that salmon with that was just okay. I really rate my sushi by the quality of the salmon and this place didn't do it for me. Maybe I'll try some of their non sushi dishes the next time I visit here. It was a great atmosphere and they have some pretty great cocktails. I will certainly try this place again just do to that aspect.Special Features:
- First Time at KamehachimllydonVIPDined on 4/28/2014The food, service and atmosphere were out of this world! We were heading over to Zanie's after dinner and Kamehachi was the perfect restaurant to dine at before the show.Special Features:
- Great food!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/26/2014The food is tremendous and service was awesome. They offer valet parking which was fast and easy. I would definitely go back again. Overall great experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodMissyDined on 4/25/2014My husband and I dined on a Friday evening at 7:30. We were lead to a table towards the back of the restaurant near the sushi bar. It was a little darker and quieter than the front of the restaurant. Service was very attentive and pleasant. We selected a couple of the specials like the double dragon roll (I think that was the name?). Everything arrived fast and fresh. My husband ordered the salmon teriyaki and it was a huge portion. I would definitely recommend and would go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food, ok service, try itbradlygDined on 4/22/2014My wife and I had dinner at Kamehachi at the recommendation of a friend that lives in the neighborhood. We were oddly greeted (seemed rude at the time, maybe hostess was just quiet/shy?) - but our server was very friendly and quick. The food was great - I had a Udon Noodle dish and my wife had 3 sushi rolls. The Edamame with chili paste was interesting - but I missed the normal salt on edamame. The real deal for me here was that they had Lakefront Brewery Riverwest Stein Beer for $5 - a great deal in Chicago. I would recommend trying this place and I can see why people would love it - I think with so many restaurants in town, we'll try another place the next time we're back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Maki-Fest!WindyCityLoVIPDined on 4/17/2014We go to Kamehachi every time we attend the fabulous A Red Orchid Theatre right next door (FREE parking on LaSalle after 6 p.m., folks!) and, once again, had a great meal. We tried new things there this time - Go-Mae - a fave of ours from other sushi restaurants - and this was really lovely, beautifully formed spinach - a nice "log", cut on diagonal & covered with a great sesame sauce. NOT too much, not too little. Also tried "rock shrimp tempura" - what a nice treat. Too often, tempura can be overly greasy or bready on ginonormous hunks of veggies, etc. ... this was almost a "popcorn shrimp" treatment - very manageable bowl (app. portion), NOT greasy and tossed in a wonderful sweet chili sauce. & Maki - & Sapporo! YES! GREAT server!Special Features:
- Any Fish you wishOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/7/2014enjoyed generous portions of wonderfully prepared and very fresh Sashimi, albeit pricey, the bill for two of us which included 3 Large Hot Sakes, whcih we split, was over 200Special Features: