Kal's Mediterranean Bistro
43 E. Union Street
Pasadena, CA 91103Neighborhood:
MediterraneanPrice: $30 and under
Kal's Mediterranean Bistro
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.kalsbistro.com/
- Phone: 6264400100x
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Friday
5:00 pm - 9:00 pm
Saturday - Sunday - all day
Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm;
Friday 5:00pm - 12:00am
Saturday: 1:00pm - 12:00am
Sunday: 1:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, Middle Eastern, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Kal
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Off and on site events, offering buffet and banquet services.
- Cross Street: Raymond ave. / Fair Oaks ave.
- Public Transit: 177 Metro LineRaymond / Holly
260 Metro LineFair Oaks / Holly
Metro Gold Line (804)Memorial Park Station
180/181 Metro LineColorado / Raymond
687/686 Metro LineColorado / Raymond
762 Metro Rapid LineFair Oaks / Colorado
256 Metro LineColorado / Raymond
267/264 Metro LineWalnut / Raymond
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Park & Walk Garages
Daily 5:00am to 10:00pm
First 90 minutes free; $2 thereafter; $6 daily maximum
171 N. Raymond Avenue
33 E. Green Street
One Colorado Parking Structure
30 E. Union Street
ParPark Parking Structure
48 N. Raymond Avenue
On-Street Metered Parking
Valet on the same block
A word from Kal's Mediterranean Bistro
Modern Mediterranean cuisine presented in a delicious and playful fashion alongside hand-selected wines, hand-crafted cocktails, and welcoming service. Our offerings are driven by the season and the market, with several trips a week to various farmers' markets and foraging.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Kal's Mediterranean Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
2 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance3.5Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (2)neighborhood gem (2)fit for foodies (1)romantic (1)special occasion (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Excellent food and service!YumYumGirlVIPDined on 6/8/2014First time dining at Kal's and will definitely return. The Mediterranean Plate for 2 was delicious and a great value for only $25. The service was excellent; attentive, friendly and professional. I highly recommend Kal's!Special Features:
- The following 31 reviews are from the Kal's Mediterranean Bistro reviews archive.
- Lovely settingTerriVIPDined on 5/16/2014This was our first visit to Kal's. The setting is beautiful! All turn of the century wood, with carved tiered ceiling, beautiful lighting. The menu had many options and the wine selection was excellent! We shared an excellent Calimari appetizer, my husband and chicken and lamb kebabs and I had beet salad with shrimp and goat cheese(wonderful!!). Very pleased with the service, setting, lovely owner. Only complaint was that the lamb kebabs were a bit overcooked.Special Features:
- PeterVIPDined on 5/13/2014Good food, nice atmosphere, great music and not loud. Highly recommend and return to.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Table with a viewBlackLabelVIPDined on 4/19/2014There are really no bad seats at Kal's -- with its dark wood and charming detail, it creates an air of sophistication and intimacy. The wine list and cocktails don't disappoint, and bartenders are willing to make recommendations (as is the lovely Kal himself). On my last visit, my companion and I split dolmas (9), pita, and the baba ghanoush. Everything was tasty, and while the dolmas weren't as exciting and seasoned as I've had elsewhere, I applaud the garlic in the dip (bold and well balanced). I'll be back, especially since the place is new and seems like a good wine that just needs some aging.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed greatlyCynfoodDined on 4/5/2014First time to eat here. Waiter was very helpful in answering menu questions and making recommendations. We thoroughly enjoyed all the food. The place has lovely decor. Close to the main streets so you can stroll around. Will definitely come again..Special Features:
- Needs more patrons!OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 4/1/2014This place deserves greater patronage! Food and service, very good. Just seemed odd that we were the only ones there. Location does not get enough foot traffic.Special Features:
- Very nicely decorated restaurantKevinVIPDined on 2/16/2014Very nicely decorated restaurant though the food just did not live up to our expectation. We had the grill combo for 2 with lamb taste like charco, beef was too chewy, and chicken did not taste like chicken. Appetizer was disappointed with fried calamari that were too dry. Greek salad was OK but nothing special. House specialty drink was interesting to us. Likely the first and the last for us.
- Small quiet placeOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/14/2014This place was not bad. The food was good, not excellent. Very quiet and intimate. Overall a decent experience.Special Features:
- Good choiceScooterDined on 2/14/2014My wife and I went to Kal's for Valentines date night and it was very good! We were a bit worried as it was not very crowded on an evening that most decent restaurants are very busy. We were pleasantly surprised. Definitely recommend Kal's! We will go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- IndulgingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/8/2014I love the small wood panel walls with chandeliers. I enjoyed the music they played. We all agreed the appetizers, salads and entries were delicious! The house champagne and sangria very smooth and flavorful. We'll go back again soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable eveningRita2CoolDined on 2/1/2014Food, music, and service were excellent. We were pleased the music was not too loud and allowed us to talk. We had a very enjoyable evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden Gem in Old Town PasadenaAndiJDined on 2/1/2014We had a great dining experience at Kal's on our first date. Kal's is a great date restaurant whether you are single and dating or married and have a date night planned. I experienced friendly professional customer service the very first time I just happen to be walking by Kal's. Have been back again and again. Thank you Kal for me being able to enjoy a first date at Kal's Bistro. Experience this HOT SPOT for yourself. Come for their varied lip smackin' dishes for lunch or dinner, FABULOUS Sunday Brunch, endless Happy Hour, meet friends, Host a MeetUp Group at Kal's, even KID FRIENDLY, (CAN''T BEAT THAT). Come once and you too, just may return again and again, I did!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MehsjandbVIPDined on 1/18/2014Kal's has some work to do on the menu, but especially the service. Very slow to take our order and it took some time to receive our food. I was worried about previous reviews, but they were true. This on a night that more than half the tables were empty.
- Food good, service not.PasadenaFoodieVIPDined on 12/7/2013Dined here for the first time. It was not busy when we arrived but it still took 20 minutes for the waiter to show up at our table & make excuses for not getting to us sooner. The drinks were tasty when they finally got to us. When the food arrived, I requested some sauce for my dish. It came when I was done. A good waiter needs to be thinking ahead - get the customer who asked for something to accompany her meal what she asked for before cleaning tables and before she has finished with her meal. We may get back to this restaurant because the food was good but there are lots of restaurants around that are good at both.
- Our dinner group had 4 people.Cello1Dined on 12/1/2013Our dinner group had 4 people. Two ordered the mixed grill, and two of us ordered other things. Then we all shared, sort of like tapas! Everything was great...we especially liked the beet salad. We tried both the pita bread and the Arabian bread, which were very fresh and excellent. And the mixed grill came with a different bread yet! I always believe you can tell a good restaurant by its bread.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First timeteresaDined on 11/13/2013A friend kept suggesting we try Kal's and we loved it. The restaurant is beautiful and they have a great menu. We ordered light so I'll be sure to have a bigger appetite when I return but our salads and appetizers were very fresh and delicious. The menu selection is great. Servers were attentive and helpful.Special Features:
- Needs work...njvisitorDined on 11/8/2013Served a flat ginger ale. Woman next to us sent her coffee back because it was cold. Mushroom pasta was flavorless. Took forever for food to be brought out to the table. One of the waiters was wearing a wool ski hat?!
- One of my new favorite placesOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 11/5/2013We are definitely coming back! The food was delicious and very reasonably priced. The atmosphere is relaxing and classy. The staff was very friendly and helpful. What more could you ask for?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kal's is great!AudreyDined on 10/19/2013My friend Jessica took us here and it was a very nice experience. The food is fantastic, had the Lebanese wine which was great. Wonderful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kal's thumbs upStephlikesDined on 10/9/2013I went for dinner to celebrate my friend's birthday. We had a nice time. The Greek salad is fresh and delicious. We shared the dip trio and lamb. Everything tasted well and was flavorful. The white sangria was also perfect and delicious. The atmosphere is cozy and quaint. I would recommend a visit and enjoyed Kal's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JLFujiDined on 8/16/2013Great food and appertizer. The skirt steak was so tender and I like the corn soup. Try the Black and White dessert, perfect portion and tasty ice cream. Prices is great also.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great people!kariotakiDined on 8/1/2013This is a must-dine location for those wanting to try something new in Pasadena!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It is all about the foodDudeVIPDined on 7/24/2013The place looks great and the service, despite previous reviews, was very good, very friendly. Unfortunately, the food was not up to par. The vegetables were over-salted, and my salmon was overcooked and the pin bones had not all been removed. Not fun to eat. There were a couple good dishes, the Greek yogurt panna cotta and the hummus, but the rest lacked that certain something. Judging by the number of passersby who looked at the menu on the outside window and moved on, the owners might also want to rethink their concept. I liked the vibe of this place, but they need to work on the food.Special Features:
- Only open 2 months & notable find.JukuVIPDined on 7/19/2013We found this on Open Table and Kal's has only been open two months. Their $25 special included an appetizer/salad, entrée & dessert. We had the arugula salad and falafel, hangar steak & black & white chocolate cake. Servings are adequate. The steak was so tender, you could cut it with a fork. Their spices were flavorful and we were all raving over our plates. From a chocoholic, this chocolate cake was worth repeating. We already made our next reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My salmon was possibly theWinepassionDined on 7/19/2013My salmon was possibly the best I have ever tasted, crispy outside, rare inside. Flavor perfectly balanced not overwhelming the salmon flavor, The cucumber jello (?) in the Greek Salad was a added surprise and very refreshing! My friends beef kabob was just so,so, slightly over done. Because it was DineL.A. week, lunch crowd was full and noise level loud and service slow...so , allow time to stay and enjoy. Staff was very pleasant but had a sense they were new at the job. Will definitely return and try other dishes. Parking, public parking across the street.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible dining experience.WannyDined on 7/19/2013Beef kebab was very dry and seemed over cooked and burned or even leftover overnight (we were the first party there for the day). The menu listed ingredients for each dish but some of the ingredients was missing in the mushroom pasta. We went there for salmon but salmon was out of stock. The restaurant seemed to have wi-Fi but not for diners. We noted wi-Fi signal for guest at establishments nearby. I wish I had dined at other places and spent my time and money while enjoying free Internet during dine time.
- Love this place!soldonsangriaDined on 7/18/2013I've come to Kal's several times for their happy hour, which is always a great experience. The service is fantastic and very friendly, and we always get a dessert with our drinks which is never disappointing. I was super excited that Kal's had a dineLA menu because I hadn't been for a meal yet, and it was again a wonderful experience. The food is amazing and unique, the setting is great, and I'm never disappointed with the service. This place is a must!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful DinningOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/18/2013This is the 3rd time I have eaten here since it opened and the food was perfect every time. The owner even came over to our table and talked with us. One of the times I was there I had my eighth month old son and he was treated just like any other customer, very kid friendly. Prices are very reasonable too. Defiantly worth a visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gourmet GreekOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/25/2013Hope to return soon. Soup of the day and Greek salad were wonderful as were the cheese (and honey) for dessert. Terrific new slant on Greek food.Special Features:
- Great Dinner and AmbianceThenarEminenceDined on 6/15/2013Party of 3, we had the duck, chicken milanese, and black cod. The duck looked and tasted like fine roast beef, amazing. Everything was great, with superb unique presentation. Try the greek salad. Portions perfect, not too big or too small. The wine list has something for everyone. We'll definitely be back to try other items on the menu, like the flat iron steak. Try the white sangria and have dessert too. Live duo music. Beautiful interior. Highly recommended. Off the crowded beaten path of Colorado Blvd in Old Town. A gem. We wish Kal success.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Creative and Fresh Cuisine!kariotakiDined on 5/22/2013This was by far the best dining experience I've had in a long time in Pasadena. Old Town and the greater Pasadena area is no longer lacking in Mediterranean cuisine with the addition of Kal's. The dishes are prepared with a unique and fresh-as-can-be flair! I can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- Great new addition to Old TownOpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 5/18/2013We were delighted this evening to discover this great new addition to the Old Town Pasadena dining scene. The menu is quite creative, composed of many very fresh locally sourced ingredients. The cuisine here has a Mediterranean / Middle-Eastern flavor profile, with distinctive seasonings like sumac and Aleppo pepper. It was one of those menus where I had trouble deciding from many enticing choices. There were a number of fresh fish options, including a locally sourced black sea bass and a wild Atlantic grouper (how often do you see that in LA?). The wine list had eclectic selections from all over the world, with a very wide selection of wines by the glass well beyond just the usual varietals.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.