1001 Heavenly Village Way Ste 26
South Lake Tahoe, CA 96150Neighborhood:
HawaiianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://kalanis.com/
- Phone: 5305446100x
- Hours of Operation:
Happy Hour: Daily 4pm to 6pm in Puka Lounge ONLY
Dinner: Daily Starting at 5:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Californian, Hawaiian
- Executive Chef: Jimi Nakamatsu
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Kalani's
Kalani's is located in the beautiful setting of the Marriot Village. Kalani's is one of Tahoe's premier locations serving Hawaiian seafood, ribs, steaks and sushi. Kalani's offers nightly happy hour in the Puka lounge from 4pm-6pm. We do not take reservations for the Puka Lounge or the Sushi Bar.Continued
Full dinner menu, sushi and full bar served nightly starting at 5:00 pm.
Full dinner menu, sushi and full bar served nightly starting at 5:00 pm.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
Kalani's - Best Restaurants in South Shore ›
Kalani's reviews from OpenTable diners
41 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (23)fit for foodies (22)romantic (12)neighborhood gem (10)good for groups (10)great for outdoor dining (7)hot spot (7)notable wine list (5)vibrant bar scene (4)kid-friendly (3)great for lunch (2)scenic view (2)great for brunch (2)late-night find (1)Show More
- Pacific tasteMauigalDined on 10/18/2014We decided to try a new restaurant in South Tahoe. It reminded me of Roy's which was nice. Not many kids were there the night we had our meal. We tried the soft shell crab appetizer which was very good. Our main meal was Mahi and Crab which was delicious. We would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 10/4/2014I can't remember what food rating I was on....yelp or trip advisor but I saw only 3.5 starts.....way underrated!! I would rate this 4.5. Ambiance was very nice, not too noisy. Service was impeccable. Food was very good.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Seriously Good EatsWozzieDined on 9/30/2014Each of our three fish dishes was fabulous. The dishes were as visually pleasing as they were delicious. The service was very good.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/19/2014Great food and great service. Our waiter was very helpful in deciding on certain items.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice menu & serviceMauipeachVIPDined on 9/14/2014Really enjoyed the selection of Hawaiian offerings - everything was fresh and presented well - sushi was excellent & service was nice as wellSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special Dinner PlaceGardenloverDined on 9/11/2014I come to Timberlodge every year, usually in the fall. The last evening we always go to Kalani's for dinner. Always have great food. I noticed this time that the wine list, at least the white wines, has not changed.. Time to change it up, folks. Service was excellent, ambiance always really nice.Special Features:
- AverageCampbellkm3Dined on 8/31/2014Convenient in the heavenly village but not worth the convenience. Food was average and not worth the hefty prices, service was subpar, asked for pepper (simple request) and didn't even get that! Would not recommend this place again.
- Always a Tahoe FavoriteAshlandroseVIPDined on 8/29/2014A must-dine experience at Tahoe. Imaginative cocktails, fabulous dishes well-prepared high quality ingredients from fish to steak to veggie dishes, presented beautifully, all in a romantic low-key setting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ServicecgbrennanVIPDined on 8/23/2014My family had dinner at Kalani's on August 23. Their signature dish did not disappoint. What made our experience outstanding was the great service we received from Sapphire. There was an issue with my entree and she took care of it promptly and professionally. I would definitely return.Special Features:
- Lived up to expectations!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/21/2014Having been raised in Hawaii, I had high expectations. We were seated immediately. The atmosphere was pleasant and conducive to conversation/romantic evening. The cocktail menu was just right; the MaiTai delicious. I found the menu to be representative of Hawaiian dishes. I ordered the sampler plate. Kahlua pork was tasty with a done just right smokey flavor; pork ribs were divine with a touch of crispness and moist, flavorful meat. I haven't had coconut shrimp this good ever, anywhere. They were divine. The tuna tartar was made just right. For dessert, we were served the lava cake. It was moist and delicious. I found the food and drinks priced right. Our server was attentive but not overly so. Excellent experience! Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Coleen's great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/13/2014We were looking for a decent fish restaurant in South Lake Tahoe and found Kalani's. The food and menu choices were great but the service provided by Coleen our server was fabulous! She recommend the sea bass dish and we loved it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatDinnerDined on 8/13/2014Kalani's was a really memorable and tasty experience!! We went to Kalani's for our honeymoon dinner and the food was outstanding and paired really well with a lovely bottle of wine!! The staff was friendly and expedient.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and serviceParshuuterDined on 7/18/2014Celebrated my wife's birthday and were treated to a fine experience. The food was excellent. My wife had the sea bass and I had one of the specials which was shark. The shark was excellent and accompanied by just as excellent mashed potatoes and julienne vegetables. The quantity o food was just right as I was comfortably full (not still hungry as some other small portion/high priced restaurants and not uncomfortably full). Service from our waiter (Curtis?) was excellent as he constantly checked back with us throughout the dinner but as not intrusive. When I'm in South Lake Tahoe again, we'll come to Kalani's again to try some of their other offerings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great serviceAudreyDined on 7/14/2014The menu was wonderful. Food great, large servings, good prices, would go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/11/2014My fish was quite greasy and it is to expensive for what you get.
- Great EntreeOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/6/2014Great entree, sides had little to no taste. Service was fast and on spot.
- playful drinks, avoid the foodOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 7/4/2014Have a meal here for the convenient location and drink selections. Avoid the food, it's overly sweet and is similar in quality to those you find in restaurant chains but at a higher price point. If you're from a big foodie city, you'll be disappointed.
- Great Experience at Kalani'sOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/28/2014Great food, attentive service, easy going island-style atmosphere in South Lake Tahoe. I had the sushi lunch and my husband had the mahi mahi fish tacos with the pork quesadilla. Everything was excellent. If you like Roy's you will love Kalani's!!Special Features:
- A nice surpriseCleanyourplateVIPDined on 6/27/2014A friend recommended Kalani's for our short trip to South Lake Tahoe. It was a good call. The menu seems a bit pricey, but the portions are huge. The food is very good. Our server was friendly and pleasant -- she didn't hover, but she checked how we were doing just enough. I would return.Special Features:
- The following 78 reviews are from the Kalani's reviews archive.
- bad drinks,good food,great servicesausabDined on 6/20/2014We went on our one year dating anniversary and they asked us what are we celebrating at the time we were seated. We were disappointed with cocktails. Not as tasty and watered down. We ordered poke, sushi roll and chirashi and it was good but nothing great. But then something unexpected happened which was a game changer. They brought us a complimentary dessert for our anniversary which was delicious :)Special Features:
- DisappointedDottieDined on 6/19/2014We had heard kalanis was a great place to eat. We were quite disappointed. We were seated and it took apx 15 before we asked if we could have a drink. Only 1 person in a group of 6 thought their food was good. Food dry, bland and not tasty. We expected fine dining knowing the price and menu. We have steaks and seafood. The service was worse. We had to keep asking for what we wanted.
- Great dining experienceCaptgtDined on 6/13/2014We are never disappointed when dining at Kalani's. Friday night was no exception, we enjoyed an exceptional dining experience. The food and service were excellent. Keep up the good work!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for Gluten FreeFoodAllergyGirlDined on 6/1/2014They have a dedicated GF menu. Try the GF calamari. Sooo good!
- Great food, good server, host awfulMerLeighVIPDined on 5/25/2014We waited 30 minutes for our reservation, and nothing was offered to us to compensate for the inconvenience. The hostesses' (all 3 of them) could not have been less interested in making sure we were comfortable or taken care of while we waited, they didn't offer us seats in the bar, drinks, nothing. I was with friends visiting from abroad so this was embarrassing to say the least. However, once we were seated it was a different experience. the waiter was good, the food is DIVINE! The sushi is really top notch and the grilled yellowtail "collar" is to DIE FOR. As good as any fish I've ever had in SF or even Hawaii. Unfortunately, I guess its hard to get good help in Tahoe.
- Great DinersBobbyVIPDined on 5/15/2014I had two great dinners! One in the restaurant - great fish!! One at the sushi bar - awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food for bachelors!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/3/2014The food was delicious and the ambiance was great for our bachelor party group. The wine suggestions were also delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but slow serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 4/29/2014The food was really good but the service was painfully slow. It took a while to get served as well as get the food and clear the table. We had other plans for the evening but this took a big chunk of our time. From beginning to end it was almost 2.5 hours and we skipped desert because we were there way too long.
- Nice change to the standardcraigVIPDined on 4/4/2014Nice change to the standard fare you find in Tahoe with a Hawaiin menu. Love the pork, freshSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lots of great selection forhmbterriVIPDined on 3/28/2014Lots of great selection for sushi. We ordered 3 rolls and the seaweed salad for 2 of us and it was more than enough food. There were lots of kids in the restaurant. We really liked the family friendly atmosphere but if you are looking for a quiet romantic evening you may want to try someplace else.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KalanisjdobDined on 3/18/2014There were no "out of the park" moments. The service could have been better, but the food was reasonable and the wine list had a couple of gems at good prices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can be skippedOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/16/2014The food was okay, although over-priced. Not a great wine list. The waiter did not get a good recommendation for us. All in all, the meal was fine but not outstanding.
- Kid friendlyNweaverVIPDined on 3/15/2014We were very happy to find an upscale dinner pace in the Village that was kid friendly. Food and service were wonderful. We will be back!Special Features:
- Awesome meal!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/13/2014Awesome meal with exceptional service. If there was anything negative to say about this place would be that menu options are quite pricey.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ambience to spareDhunterDined on 3/1/2014We have a wonderful dining experience . I would highly recommend dining here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Heavenly SushiCatamountVIPDined on 2/25/2014Interesting mix of sushi and more traditional menu items. Recommend the mahi mahi and other tropical fish dishes. Perfect location in Heavenly Village.Special Features:
- Great surpriseErnestoVIPDined on 2/24/2014In Tahoe there are not many options but after eating pizza and burgers we went to this restaurant as one of the few options on Open Table. It was a nice surprise. Nice decoration. Friendly staff and two menus, a traditional and sushi. The sushi is not Japanese, but more of a mix having great ideas and flavors. The traditional menu the Sea Bass and the scallops outstanding. A definite go, and in a budget. A group of 6 adults and 3 kids with wine for dinner was 400 tip included. So after a good day of skiing why not a good dine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistent year after yearFreja3VIPDined on 2/22/2014We ve been dining here for years as we make our annual 2 week ski trip. Love the bar for happy hour, dining room for both lunch and dinners. Food is always High quality, creative and serviced with a smile.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- over pricedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/17/2014They have a good location in the middle of the heavenly village and a huge menu. All items are a little above average in quality but the prices are through the roof. Go next door to base camp, or go any where else in town. Exaggerated, very exaggerated prices. I do not recommend.
- A total gem!Foodielover2Dined on 2/17/2014Great food and service and a total gem to find this place in the Tahoe area! My teenage kids also loved their sushi and food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- awesome sushivdayloversDined on 2/16/2014We sat at the sushi bar and had great service from both the chief and server. Food was dynmite! It was pricey but very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.