Kalaheo Steak and Ribs
4444 Papalina Rd
Kalaheo, HI 96741Neighborhood:
SteakPrice: $30 and under
Kalaheo Steak and Ribs
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://kalaheosteakandribs.com/
- Phone: 8083324444
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: T-Su 5:00pm-9:30pm
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak
- Executive Chef: Ruffino Ramos
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Kalaheo Steak and Ribs
Aloha and welcome to Kalaheo Steak and Ribs. This establishment has been serving the people of Kauai for over 30 years. Our vision was to restore the original Kalaheo Steak House and create a premier dining experience with a country-style atmosphere, giving it back to the people of Kalaheo and greater Kauai to enjoy once again.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Kalaheo Steak and Ribs - Best Restaurants in Kalaheo ›
Kalaheo Steak and Ribs reviews from OpenTable diners
32 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (25)kid-friendly (10)good for groups (10)fit for foodies (10)special occasion (6)romantic (5)late-night find (5)vibrant bar scene (5)notable wine list (5)hot spot (3)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Food & JazzOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014Great food all the time with Jazz first & third Saturdays.Special Features:
- A Great Find!CanatexianDined on 10/16/2014We chose this restaurant for our last dinner on Kauai because of Yelp reviews. After eating seafood and pork all week, we were in the mood for a steak. Don't let the rustic appearance and decor fool you. It turned out to be the best meal we had the whole week. Perfectly prepared steaks, and the service was excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food wonderful owner.BarscenefunDined on 10/4/2014Ernie was very attentive, and friendly. The food was great the atmosphere was fun had a great time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great locationStephanDined on 10/2/2014This place is great. We went there for the baby back ribs and they were fantastic. Additionally there was live music which we really enjoyed. It was a great evening...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food Great servicehawaii50Dined on 10/1/2014As always , good food and great service ....they serve grass feed Kauai grown beef so steaks are great .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014Steaks with all the fixings--excellent. Try the meatloaf mash. Spivey meatloaf with mashed potatoes and gravy, yum!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We Will Be BackOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/26/2014Having lived on Kauai for 7 years I am ashamed to say this was my first trip to the Kalaheo Steak and Rib. I had family visiting and decided it was a great time to try it. It was fantastic. The steamed clams were outstanding and everyone in our group enjoyed their meal and no one went home hungry! I do have to say the service was top notch. The servers were attentive but not annoying. I will be back and I won't wait for more visitors.Special Features:
- Best beef on the islandOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/21/2014This neighborhood gem is hidden off of the main road, but it is a MUST visit during your trip to Kauai. By far the best beef we have eaten on the island.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice PlaceJOAWEODined on 9/21/2014The service was excellant and the food above par. Will go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mysandmanDined on 9/14/2014great food, service and really reasonably priced. We will be back again and againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ono local atmosphereLisaDined on 9/9/2014The manager, Ernie, has done at great job with this restaurant. Good food, friendly service & great decor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/6/2014This was my first time time at Kalahro Steak & Rib. I will definitely be back. The service was excellent and the food was tasty. The bar area had a jazz group playing providing great entertainment. I recommend the Prime Rib. Perfectly prepared. The bread pudding for dessert was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ratings are OverratedTravellingRonDined on 8/15/2014Based on reviews we took a quick visit to the restaurant. To be honest there is nothing spectacukar, interesting or ground-breaking to speak of. A very dated decor leaves you somewhat concerned but the food was OK. How anyone can get to 4 stars is amazing to me. This is standard but basic fare and nothing more. My wife had french oninion soup - not the classic presentation but effectively onion consumee with 2 wedges of toast with cheese. My ahi "special" was a fillet of ahi, pan seared on a pile of white rice with a over-processed lemon sauce at the bottom. My son's prime rib was OK but nothing compared to Lawry's in Vegas. All in all? An extremely pedestrian meal but the service was excellent.
- Great service, delicious foodNorCalBevVIPDined on 8/1/2014We were so pleased to find this restaurant and saloon, we went back two nights in a row during our vacation. Wayne was an excellent server, he made sure we were aware of specials and checked on us throughout our dinners. The fresh fish was superb, and my husband enjoyed meatloaf one night and a burger the next. If you order am entree before six pm, Molokai Sweetbread Pudding is complimentary! The serve my favorite Chardonnays too, and they have wine bottle specials on Saturday nights.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food & Service!011411VIPDined on 7/31/2014The FIRST TIME we came here since they switched over from Kalaheo Steakhouse, food was okay, service was so bad!! They were not busy at all and our waitress was horrible. THIS TIME- Just a few tables occupied, awesome food, we got the Papalina Poke, large amount of ahi for the price, $17(market price) I got the Prime Rib stir fry ($21), very tasty & lots of prime rib. BF got the Rib Eye ($32) which he loved! Our waitress NOE was great, very attentive, & friendly. The hostess wasnt as friendly, but NOE made our night great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- kalaheo steak and ribs, KauaiOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/12/2014One of our island favorites. Excellent service, dirnks and dinners all served with aloha and professionalism. Wonderful fun evening for our party of four and actually was perfect in all categories. Love the paniolo style amibiance , think hawaiian cowboy western style. Our friends arrived on time at 4:30 and met us in the bar where we all were welcomed by the happy lady bartender, and at precielsy 5 pm, our reservation time we were escorted to our table in the dining room. The wait staff was at our table immediately and we were greeted with aloha and professionalism by Wayne our server.....fun time...superb starters, excellent prime rib, and super delicious desert, and even added on a bottle of perfect zinfandel. Loved it !Special Features:
- Good local spotOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/6/2014This is an old favorite of ours when we don't feel like cooking. The food is good, the staff outstanding and the owners make sure to greet everyone who comes in at some time during their meal. The setting is small-town main street with all the good connotations; if you want a warm, friendly, relaxing place to enjoy a satisfying meal, this is it.Special Features:
- First time in a whileHartfeltDined on 7/4/2014We have been in quote a few times and it's usually good. The prime rib was very good as well as the baked potato. The salad that came with it was adequate, not stellar. My husband enjoyed the cheesecake. The service was very good and friendly. We had a lovely evening. MahaloSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great pokiKauaidinerDined on 6/26/2014The poki was delicious. Rib eye steak tender and very nice marinade, a little pricey.service was excellent.Special Features:
- The following 82 reviews are from the Kalaheo Steak and Ribs reviews archive.
- Perfect father's day dinner!ChavezsDined on 6/11/2014The ribs were cooked great and the stuffed pork chop was delicious... the booths are also very comfortable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Kalaheo restaurantMoniVIPDined on 6/5/2014Great Kalaheo restaurant. The steaks here are delicious and the staff is friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- better than expectedOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 6/1/2014It's an easy 15-20 min drive from Poipu resorts and a fun change of pace. Two very different sections, dine upstairs with the blue hairs or head down to the saloon. We were there on a night when a 3-piece paniolo (sort of) band was playing, and they were quite good, except for the really bad jokes. Steamed clams were good texture and nicely seasoned, not just floating in butter, steak/veg skewer appetizer was OK, and New York steak was cooked perfectly medium rare and very tasty and tender. The place was packed on a Sun, so make a res. We ventured out from Poipu to Salt Pond Beach for a nice sunset, then ate here on the way back to our rental house. Nice change of pace from the restaurants in town if you like roadhouses, which we do.Special Features:
- Fantastic Steaks; Mediocre ServiceKlqkauaiDined on 4/15/2014We dined here several days ago and everything was fabulous. Our latest dining experience was less than stellar. Our waitperson was either too busy or she care about patrons. She never stopped to inquire about our meal yil we were finished. Filets were amazing. Potato and veggies were cold. Butter would not melt on potato. Our waitress never filled water glasses nor candle on table. Our server, Wayne, last time was amazing-everything our waitress wasnt. When we told her at the end of our meal that potato and veggies were cold, she stated "I know, several others complained about that." She then offered a free dessert which we declined and then offered a 20% reduction on my meal! but not my husbands?Special Features:
- i ordered the ribs it wasOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/6/2014i ordered the ribs it was cold in the middle and the rib itself had no flavor. but the service was really great.
- Don't be fooled by the outsideOpentableuser2013VIPDined on 3/28/2014Inside is a charming, well run restaurant with good food. We've passed by this restaurant numerous times because it looks dark, dowdy and a bit rough. Friends recommended it and we've been back twice now. The service has always been outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Jesse's reviewOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/20/2014Our food was great, the waitress was wonderful, attentive, sweet and pregnant. We loved her and our experience. All six of our party would gladly come back and we represented 3 states. Alabama, California and Washington. Love the Country Music being (originally) from Kansas with ties there. My wife and I will be back with family in the next 3 weeks but the others have left. Jesse HatfieldSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Last night in KauaipentictonpalDined on 3/8/2014This was the perfect place to spend our last night in Kauai. It was recommended by a person we met on Capt. Andy's Na Pali cruise. We had a one year old and they were wonderful with him. The Stuffed Pork Chops were amazing and the rib eye was great. We would definitely recommend this, the prices were good and the setting relaxed.Special Features:
- A great restaurant!sarahskiDined on 3/6/2014The Kalaheo Steak House on Kauai is a restaurant that I will return to often. It has everything one needs for a fine dining dinner. It is my first choice when I take special guests to dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood gourmetbluebirds4youDined on 2/20/2014Kalaheo Steak and Ribs is off the beaten track which makes it a special "find" for people who want to enjoy a neighborhood treasure with reputedly the best steaks on the island. We went there with two guests, one of whom is a steak fan. My husband and I lean toward seafood and vegetables. We thought our ahi was more than delicious. Our other guest was very pleased with the special nut-encrusted ahi she ordered. And then came dessert! There is a selection for any sweettooth. We sampled a couple different cheesecakes. The atmosphere is ranch style in honor of the Hawaiian cowboys who help get us those steaks--attractive, comfortable, and casual yet great for a special occassion. Loved it. We're repeat customers and will be again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid Steakhouse in KauaiLVShowmanDined on 2/18/2014Nothing fancy, just good food and good service. The owner and wait staff made you feel very welcome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Local charm in a tourist meccadrmemoryVIPDined on 2/16/2014Great prime rib and baby back ribs. Everything else being served around us looked very good too. The real joy of Kalaheo Steak and Ribs is that its where the locals go for great food, drink and fun. It's close to the Poipu beach area of the south shore of Kauai, but light years away from the polished, up-scale eateries (some of which are very good) that cater to the tourists. To fully enjoy an evening at KSR, reserve well in advance for Thursday or Sunday night in the Saloon, where you will be entertained by the band Wialoa playing wonderful Hawaiian slack-key music, peppered with local jokes by the base player, Charlie, who is also police commissioner of the island. Aloha!Special Features:
- Happy Valentines!misskatsVIPDined on 2/14/2014had a wonderful Valentines day dinner. Felt as if our waiter forgot about our table, none the less the food was excellent (lobster) and for a great price. the decor was fun and festive.Special Features:
- great!cmtbDined on 2/14/2014we love KSR! we're never disappointed when we get there! love the ambience and decor! perfect little restaurant in the middle of Kalaheo! Definite recommend to friends, family, others!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valintines Day DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 2/14/2014We had a great time and the prime rib was great. Grace the bartender and Caroline the owner were great. I left my credit card there by mistake, contacted them and they are mailing it back to me.Special Features:
- GemLfredDined on 2/7/2014Not only are the owners wonderful people but the food and prices are great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- While the menu is limitedmehmetVIPDined on 2/5/2014While the menu is limited to basically meat offerings (there is usually one fish offering), the food is very well prepared and very flavorful. Service is outstanding and everyone working there is full of the Kauai aloha spirit. The prices are very reasonable for good restaurant dining in Kauai. Parking is sort of limited. The house wine is quite good. We go there every couple of weeks and are never disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So-SoSunshineDined on 2/4/2014Ambiance is western/Paniolo. Salad was skimpy iceberg lettuce and 2 small slices of tomato. Rib sauce very sweet, one diner wished it had more "tang" to it. Piicatta much enjoyed by other diner. Not as good an experience as in "old days" before remodeling. Would not return frequently.Special Features:
- A long time favoriteMalice6Dined on 1/31/2014We have dined here for several vacations and find it a great escape from the formula resort area eateries. Service is warm and efficient, portions are ample and food is very good. It is a meat and potatoes place, not some fussy haute cuisine pretentious restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A local favoriteHowardDined on 1/29/2014Went with a small group of friends (eight of us) and had a wonderful meal. Been there before and have never been disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AWESOMEOahuIslandHopperDined on 1/23/2014We were on Kauai for my daughters birthday. She said she wanted steak for her birthday meal. I searched on the internet high and low and found this place. My little girl and my wife had the NY Strip, my son had the Ribeye and I had the Prime Rib. I tried all steaks and was in awe. This place really knows how to do steak. We were very surprised and very pleased with the food and service here. It was a bit on the pricy side, but for a special occasion, it was well worth it. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.