2060 B Mountain Boulevard
Oakland, CA 94607Neighborhood:
JapanesePrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.kakuisushi.com/
- Phone: 5103381188
- Payment Options:
- Cuisine: Sushi, Japanese
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Kakui
Kakui serves Japanese cuisine.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
Kakui - Best Restaurants in Oakland ›
Kakui reviews from OpenTable diners
25 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (15)fit for foodies (13)great for lunch (7)kid-friendly (3)great for outdoor dining (3)special occasion (2)scenic view (1)notable wine list (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- great and delicious funjakiVIPDined on 10/11/2014We go to Kakui frequently. The food is delicious, staff are friendly and efficient, the seating is comfortable, and the decor is simple but elegant. Additionally we can sit outside or semi-outside. However, mostly it's the food. It's great and the menu changes occasionally to include new items. Love it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not so greatavidtasterDined on 10/8/2014Servers distracted, sloppy (spills), forgot requests. Ribs and teriyaki overdone, lackluster. Nigiri good.
- Worst Service EVEREmeryvilleDinerVIPDined on 9/26/2014I had been to Kakui many times in the past year, and this was BY FAR the WORST service EVER. I asked for a fork and ended up having to get it myself after waiting 10 minutes My guest asked for a knife, and again, I had to get it myself after waiting 10 minutes. Our server took forever to take out initial order and was absent most of the service, except when it was time to present us the bill. I'll go back, but if the service is this poor again, I will be done. So sad when an excellent restaurant had bad service.Special Features:
- LeftyGroveDined on 8/22/2014Fabulous sushi - absolutely fresh and delicious - one of the best anywhere. And the only fabulous restaurant in Montclair Village.Special Features:
- Poor management of kitchenMediaQueenVIPDined on 8/14/2014The food has always been excellent, but there are too many problems that stem from poor management of the kitchen. It wasn't that they ran out of food while we were there, it was they didn't have it in the first place and neglected to tell the waitstaff. They didn't have wakame, pork belly or lamb, and who knows what else. Our nigiri and sushi rolls trickled out of the kitchen and took over an hour to eventually get all our dishes - and we had to ask for the last two. We complained to the manager about all the problems with service, who was apologetic, but full of excuses. We did get 20% taken off our bill, which was appreciated. Hopefully communication between the kitchen and waitstaff will improve.Special Features:
- Fresh & TastyjonathonstoneVIPDined on 8/6/2014Wonderful place for lunch. Sashimi and sushi with the meso (sp?) was delicious and first rate, ....and very reasonable.
- LiedBerkeleyitesDined on 8/1/2014The earliest reservation we could get on open table was at 8. We made great time and got there a half hour early. Thought well we will ask. There was a four spot open. The hostess was pretty curt and dismissive in saying "we can't seat you til 8." My teen kids were like "wow she was pretty mean about it." So we left and sat in our car 1/2 hour. When we came back, we were shown to THE EXACT SAME TABLE! My husband said "so you couldn't seat us 1/2 hour early?!" and the waitress (a different person) said "oh no they just left." Yeah right, a party of four arrived, ate and left within 45 minutes....! We are not stupid people. I hate being lied to and this is an establishment we frequent like six times a year so I thought that was kind of lame.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great sushi!laworder135VIPDined on 7/24/2014The rolls were creative and fresh. The presentation was exceptional.Special Features:
- Worth a tripMariabVIPDined on 7/22/2014We always enjoy our meals at Kakui, friendly knowledgable service, interested cooks, very fresh fish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CarolVIPDined on 7/18/2014Best sushi in town. All the dishes rare served in amazing stye. The plates are beautiful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- IF ONLY THERE WERE MORE LIKE ITMYEATSOUTVIPDined on 7/16/2014Kakui is no just the best Sushi restaurant in Montclair, it is the best restaurant in Montclair! With three Sushi establishments, Kakui has the most innovative and fresh food. I wouldn't consider one of its competitors.Special Features:
- just okayoaklandeaterVIPDined on 7/11/2014i've been here many times before but this time was the least appealing. the brussels sprouts were oily (with a pool of oil at bottom) and not crispy; the rolls were average (but could also have been because my dining partner was pregnant so we couldn't get anything that wasn't cooked); and the soft-shelled crab in the spider roll, one of my favorites, was so thick and over-fried with batter, it didn't even taste like soft-shelled crab. kakui enjoys being the better of the two sushi restaurants in the village but if they want to keep their clientele, they need to produce consistently good food -- not have such an off-night as this.Special Features:
- The following 123 reviews are from the Kakui reviews archive.
- Good food, service was a bit offOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/8/2014As usual, the food at Kakui was really tasty. The server staff seemed off and not able to read the customer(me). I think it is my time in Europe but picking up a plate without asking just seems inappropriate. Amazing sauce on the plate and the server was taking it. WAIT! Then the plates kept coming so fast! When we sat down we told them we're chillin'.. bring us our food slowly. Even after hinting about the empty water glass the waiter didn't get it until the end. Too late. I hate being rushed to eat so that a table can be turned. I'm more likely to give a bigger tip with good service and if you let me enjoy my food with minimal interaction but don't forget to check the fluids.Special Features:
- CarolVIPDined on 5/22/2014As usual sushi was fabulous. The wine is a great price and the Sake flights are really good. We always try to try something new this time it was crispy tofu in dashi broth, excellent.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/21/2014The food was tasty and beautifully presented. Service was slow and amateurish. We have had better service here in the past, so maybe it was an off night.Special Features:
- Great foodoaklandeaterVIPDined on 4/10/2014It had been a while since I was here, and the food was fabulous. The wine was less than stellar (incl selection) and service was just okay. We waited forever for our nigiri, which came about 30 min after we'd finished everything else. I also would have liked to have known before we sat down at an outside table that the heat lamp was broken, for I was freezing for the last hour of our dinner. But the food is very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not goodjaz2020VIPDined on 4/10/2014After a decent dinner at Kakui a while back so decided to try lunch. The kale in miso was very tasty (more like a soup, actually) but that was the highlight. Asked for white rice and it was spoiled; they gave us another bowl and that was also off (we're Asians, so we eat and cook a whole lot of rice every week--this rice was starting to go). That made me dubious about my katsu-donburi which otherwise looked fine--I ate the meat and veggies, but left the rice alone. What bothered us most was that spouse ordered the hamachi platter...and got escolar. We weren't 100% sure until we got home and checked, but nope, what he got was pure white with pink edge--definitely not hamachi, which costs more than escolar. We will not be returning here.
- What happened to the service?DisappointedDined on 3/26/2014The service has never been great here but when I took my husband there for his birthday dinner on Tuesday it was horrible. First we were ignored at the door for about 10 minutes even though there were empty tables and we had a reservation. Then our waitress didn't seem to know we were there for another 15 minutes. I wanted to walk out but we were hungry and my husband enjoys their food so we stayed. Once we got service it wasn't bad but front of the house service was awful.
- Once again the sushi was wonderful.CarolVIPDined on 2/25/2014Once again the sushi was wonderful. I keep trying new items on the menu and have not had anything that was served beautifully plated but also delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is usually quite goodOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 2/25/2014Food is usually quite good although this lunch was an exception. The service is always terrible here.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FindLiveGuyDined on 2/1/2014Comfortable and very good food. A true local find.Special Features:
- The sushi was fabulous asCarolVIPDined on 1/16/2014The sushi was fabulous as usual this time the service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best sushi in OaklandOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 1/4/2014Great ambiance and great sushi everytime. The owner/sushi chef is always present and ensuring a great meal for his customers. Very friendly and accomadating staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Good ExperienceGirlsNightOutVIPDined on 1/3/2014We've had mixed experiences here in the past but our last visit was nice. There seems to be a difference in service if you make a reservation versus just dropping in. When we've had reservations, service has been great; no reservations and poor service seems to follow. The meal, however, is always very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I have been there severalCarolVIPDined on 1/2/2014I have been there several times. The sushi is fabulous as are the entres. This time however the service was at its best. There seem to be a shortage of servers and the delivery of the order of food was off. I will go back as it is the best sushi in the Bay Area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best little sushi placeOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/31/2013We have been going to Kakui since it opened. The staff is always friendly and happy to see you! The food is consistently awesome! This is the second New Years Eve we have spent with them and we have not been disappointed. Make reservations on the weekends and even on Thursdays. We like to sit at the bar and visit with everyone. Go-you won't be sorry!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We live in Montclair and areOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 12/28/2013We live in Montclair and are so glad there is good restaurant in the village! The fish is always very fresh and they make some creative and different rolls. We also love that there is a great menu of non-sushi that goes beyond the typical. Kakui is very reliable, upscale Japanese. The restaurant is small and lighting is low at night. It's not full of young kids but they have always been very nice to ours, who love sushi. The service has always been excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Goodhmt2VIPDined on 11/16/2013This place has such food. The Miso Kale is awesome and the fish is always fresh. Great for any occasion.Special Features:
- Service quality needs an overhaulNeveagainDined on 10/22/2013reservation clearly mentioned that this is a birthday dinner. ordered Soup, rolls and 2 main course, To our surprise everything arrived at the same time! After dinner waiter dropped the check without asking if we care about deserts! I was shocked considering the fact that I did indicate that the dinner event was a Birthday dinner. I asked the waiter about desert menu, was told that they only have Sorbet, we ordered one, then a sorbet with a candle showed up! I have had many Birthday parties at other restaurants, the staff typically go extra miles to make sure that the celebration is a special one. In this case our birthday celebration seemed to be of a hassle to the staff whose only objective was to make sure they close the place down.Special Features:
- Sushi is exceptional so farCarolVIPDined on 10/22/2013Sushi is exceptional so far I have loved everything I have eaten. I keep trying new sushi every time I go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slipping a littleDawnVIPDined on 10/19/2013This has been one of my favorite sushi restaurants since it opened, so I was a little disappointed the other night when the service was again very slow, and the food, though good, was not as god as it had been. Ribs and pork belly were excellent, but I really come here for the sushi. The hamachi nigiri was delicious and fresh. The spicy tuna in a roll was not particularly spicy and had a grassy flavor to it that was odd, maybe the spice mixture. The lion king roll was drowned in a thick sauce that overshadowed the fresh fish. Will look forward to going back and sticking with nigiri and sashimi that they do so well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Super fresh and high qualityLjgs3VIPDined on 10/13/2013Visited two times with kids in tow. Both times amazingly good fish. First time service was friendly but very spotty, however, the server was brand new. The second time, the service was much sharper. Elegant interior so good for a kid-free date night too. . A bit more expensive than some places, but it is so close and convenient and without a long wait, that it makes the slightly higher cost more than worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Do notMasa3filmVIPDined on 10/6/2013Do not make a reservation after 2:30. They close at 2:30.Special Features:
- KakuiOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 10/3/2013Very good food...however, ambiance and warmth missing, a combination of table layout and indifferent service. Default Opentable reservation request: quiet area or booth. No booths available at restaurant, but we were seated next to large 6 people group. The restaurant just seemed "cold".
- Order one or two items attrueluvdinnersVIPDined on 9/13/2013Order one or two items at a time otherwise they will bring everything out at once.Special Features:
- Slow death?MobocracyDined on 9/7/2013Kakui was a fantastic, local sushi restaurant. The owner is gracious and attentive. Unfortunately, our last trip several things have gone downhill. - Plates, chipped one on our table, one on the neighboring table - Rice was under cooked and hard - Saki availability, which was a shining star of this place was lacking. They were out of some of the best. Still good. Sushi still wonderful. But I'm hopeful the attention to detail doesn't slip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quality ExperienceanneVIPDined on 8/11/2013I had a long day of travel moving from the East Coast. When I landed my luggage didn't, so instead of waiting around the airport for two hours I went to my Open Table app and found this place for Sushi. I was fast and friendly service, healthy, and good sushi. It was a great first dining experience in my new city. I will be back.Special Features:
- Good sushi and sashimi; very4foodiesDined on 8/9/2013Good sushi and sashimi; very fresh seafood; a little pricey though.Special Features:
- Sushi was average, Place was empty.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/4/2013The staff was very nice. The appetizers were very good. The Tofu was awesome. Sushi was falling apart. We ordered about 10 rolls and I would say that only one of them was very good. The rest were average and two were poor. Not good enough in the Bay Area were Sushi is legit in every neighborhood. Definitely would recommend 6 to 7 other sushi restaurants before this one.
- Amazing sushi!OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/3/2013Imaginative rolls, excellent, good portion sashimi. Definitely going back. Servers very accommodating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.