125 East 39th Street
New York, NY 10016Neighborhood:
JapanesePrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.kajitsunyc.com/
- Phone: 2122284873x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Sunday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm (last order)
(Closed on Mondays)
Lunch: Tuesday - Saturday: 11:45am - 1:45pm (last order)
(Closed on Sundays, Mondays & First day of the month)
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Vegetarian / Vegan, Japanese
- Executive Chef: Ryota Ueshima
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Counter Seating, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Please call the restaurant for a large party (up to 7 people)
A word from Kajitsu
Kajitsu serves Shojin cuisine--vegan Kaiseki, a traditional Japanese culinary practice that is the very origin of Japanese cuisine. All of our dishes are prepared from fresh, season vegetables, legumes, wild herbs, seeds and grains, chosen at the moment in the season that best reflects their flavor. At Kajitsu we make our delicious and wholesome dishes from high quality ingredients prepared with traditional Japanese culinary techniques.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerJapanese
Kajitsu - Best Restaurants in Murray Hill ›
Kajitsu reviews from OpenTable diners
70 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelQuiet
fit for foodies (51)special occasion (47)neighborhood gem (17)romantic (14)great for lunch (7)notable wine list (5)hot spot (3)good for groups (2)kid-friendly (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- the food was delicate and wonderfulkkkayDined on 9/17/2014the food was so kyoto-ish and delicate, very beautiful, and delicious, but the restaurant itself was very quiet (maybe that's the point) and felt like i had to behave... The sake pairing was GREAT, the food 100% vegan and very kyoto-ish and shojin-ryori. I loved it. But not the best place to go if you want to chit chat too much! ;)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/16/2014In almost a monastic surrounding, with a quiet, most welcoming atmosphere, a great change from the the so many noisy New York restaurants, I found a very refined cuisine with delicious complex flavors that are almost unimaginable considering is all vegetarian.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AverageKenchanDined on 8/23/2014Food is average level. Tempura portion is too much for me. wine list is poor.Special Features:
- andykiddyakrciakDined on 8/14/2014Sat in the dining room, was very loud with talking. The room is all hard wood and the sound just bounces around. The food was disappointing. the produce was not as high quality i was expecting. the tomato dish in the lacquered box we started with was good but the flavors were not there. Interesting textures. The fried vegetables dish was made interesting through the use of citrus rinds but there was a lot of oil. This is a meal I had been looking forward to for a long time and I was sorely disappointed. The matcha, however, is incredible.
- KajitsuJulNYC1Dined on 8/9/2014Authentic Kyoto style experience. Beautiful food, tea and best sake I've had. Very friendly, attentive service. A+Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply the BestOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/9/2014You just feel good being there, eating the amazing food, served by the kindest staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- shojin cuisine at kajitsutsuchikumoDined on 7/25/2014incredible and totally unique. edible art. a feast for the eyes and palate served by a warm and knowledgeable staff with impeccable precision and professionalism. exotic ingredients and wines combined in ways that blend tradition with imagination. i had high expectations for this restaurant and they surpassed them by far.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique Dining ExperienceLoriVIPDined on 7/12/2014When I heard about Kajitsu, I was told it was a fantastic Japanese, vegan restaurant. To celebrate a year of knowing each other, I thought it was a good compromise for my partner (who loves sushi) and me (who is vegetarian.) It turned out to be an interesting and delicious experience...no sushi and many dishes I have never eaten before. The composition of each dish is explained when it is brought to the table. The presentation was beautiful. The staff was friendly and knowledgeable. Definitely a dinner I will not forget.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Precious, uniquefoodB4lifeVIPDined on 6/27/2014One can almost feel lonely in this super quiet, almost somber restaurant. Here food is a meditation, every movement, every presentation done with mindful care. We had the full tasting menu with saki pairings - a delightful exploration of an adventurous and health conscious vegan chef. Memorable, lovely but missing a bit of the "wow" factor that should come with a $200+ pp meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still the bestrokkenDined on 6/26/2014I never leave reviews but every meal there is so spectacular I feel compelled to wrote again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/22/2014Fabulous! Pricey but absolutely worth every penny.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excessively pricedMrMoonshineDined on 6/15/2014A decent restaurant with good vegan food, but very overpriced. The prices ranges from $55 for the 4-course standard affair to $200 for 8-course with sake pairings. Myself and my wife went for the cheap option and ordered one beer. With tax and tip (about 12%) it came to $150.Special Features:
- Amazing dining experiencecaroDined on 6/12/2014Exquisitely presented and delicious food. We are big fans of both shojin ryori (after visits to Koya-san) and Kyoto-style kaiseki; Kajitsu brings the best of both worlds. We splurged on the Omakase course, which featured 9 courses and 5 sake pairings plus 2 teas. Excellent service. As a bonus we were seated at the counter and could watch the chef plating dishes and preparing matcha. This was our second time. Our first visit was last November, but they have since changed head chef. It was fun to try a different season this time. Can't wait till we can come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExquisitejohannesDined on 6/6/2014I'm not a food critic but the two people I was with are quite subtle in their tastes and it was a delight to discover this fine restaurant--in ancient Buddhist tradition--in this company of experts. The experts and the novice approve Kajitsu for those who--at least for some occasion--have the dollars to splurge. Every bite was a discovery. And the nine types of Sake proved that this Japanese beverage is every bit as varied as French wine. The whole thing amounted to more than just a fine dinner; it was an expedition into the unknown and the unexpected.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Coming backOjostDined on 6/5/2014Very good food, comprehensive sake list. I appreciated the sake tasting by the glass. Good value for money. I would/ will go back.Special Features:
- Elegant and interestingCJCbostonVIPDined on 6/3/2014Like many who have reviewed, I'm not a vegetarian but was intrigued by the positive comments here. We did the four course, which is plenty. Each course has mixtures of surprising and delicious tastes and textures. There is plenty of depth of flavor - sometimes subtle, sounds more assertive e.g. dark chocolate nibs within a vegetable medley. Only surprise was that the fourth course - a rice porridge was also a savory course. As most end with a sweet, be aware this is four savory courses. They have desserts available should you have room. If you are a sake fan the list is long - not surprisingly, this is not a destination for new world red wines. This isn't at the level of Juni - but for the style - this is totally worth a night.Special Features:
- Excellent FoodfoodyDined on 6/1/2014We came for my husband's birthday because he is a vegan. We loved the food --it was a real experience. Every course was exciting, beautiful, and amazingly delicious. This is our new favorite place but it is an expensive dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 5/23/2014From start to finish this was an outstanding experience. The service was impeccable and the food was interesting and delicious. My two daughters are vegetarians and this is the best overall dining experience we have had where everyone was impressed and happy!Special Features:
- The following 471 reviews are from the Kajitsu reviews archive.
- exquisite!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 5/20/2014transported to the top of Mt. Koya with a cross town taxi ride. every detail is a work of art. taste, smell and sight are all pampered. so unusual and rare. thank you for making this restaurant here in NYC. don't love that we have to always go so early...they should loosen up on the enforced seating times...but other than that, I'll take the early bird special to eat this food...Special Features:
- Once in a life time food experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/16/2014nothing ordinary here... and that is a good thing. From the moment you walk in the front door, you are in another world. The hustle and bustle of mid-town is a whole other world away. The serenity and sanity of this place are akin to a meditation session. The service was incredible and unlike any that I've had anywhere else. The 8 courses were a walk down a path of creativity and adventure. We encountered tastes and textures we had no idea exited, yet nothing to crazy or weird to alienate anyone. And anyone who thinks that it being a Vegan restaurant is off putting... not once will you ever miss the meat. It won't even cross your mind. Our dinner at Kajitsu was definitely an experience we will remember forever. thank youSpecial Features:
- Great VeggiesyumyumDined on 5/13/2014Some of the the best vegetables I've ever had! One qualm I have with the space is that it can get very loud very quickly-- hard to have a romantic dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As restorative as a spa visit!DiscerningNYCDinersVIPDined on 5/8/2014Kajitsu serves its vegan Japanese cuisine with such ease and grace that enjoying a meal here is as restorative as a visit to a spa. We always look forward to our every visit -- including this one to celebrate a birthday over lunch (on the heels of our last visit, which was to celebrate Valentine's Day). This is one of our favorite restaurants in New York City for its one-of-a-kind ambiance, service, and cuisine.Special Features:
- Kaiseki near Lex.excelsiorDined on 5/6/2014Exquisite Zen-monk vegan seasonal creations, brought to your table kaiseki-style in tiny portions on beautiful wood or ceramic dishes. Your waitress explains the ingredients, many of which you have never had. Expect an artful balance of flavors, textures and colors. Pricy and worth it!Special Features:
- Exceptional. Really.dommmmVIPDined on 5/3/2014A very memorable and beautiful meal. Incredible attention to detail, both in the service and in the preparation / presentation of the dishes. It was an amazing experience to have a very high end, fully vegan, Japanese chef's tasting dinner, all built around seasonal ingredients, with perfect sake pairings. There's a smaller and a larger option for the chef's tasting (I believe weekend dinners are ONLY prix fixe), I opted for the smaller one and it was the right choice for me. I went for the smaller sake pairings, and could have gone for the full size one though :) Lovely quiet dining room too, all in muted colors, you can really focus on your dining party and meal.Special Features:
- Amazing and unusualChiaraDined on 4/27/2014Kajitsu has one Michelin star and delivers a three star dining experience. The food is Japanese shojin ryori - all vegan food. The high quality and variety of the preparation, the inventiveness and care taken in sourcing and preparation means that you will not miss the meat. Many of our courses were paired with excellent sake which varied in its taste profile and were expertly matched. We sat at the chef's counter and really enjoyed our interaction with the chef. The food was beautifully presented and the atmosphere is quiet, calm, and comfortable. I cannot recommend this experience highly enough. I will certainly be back.Special Features:
- An amazing mealdolgindDined on 4/27/2014I took my daughter and son-in-law to the restaurant for her birthday. I've traveled around the world to some wonderful restaurants and I found that this meal was one of the best of all. We had the larger prix fixe meal and every dish was spectacular. The service was perfect and it was a true relaxed dining pace. The presentation was fantastic. I couldn't recommend the restaurant more than I do. 5 starsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kajitsu = PerfectionOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 4/25/2014An amazing meal. The food, presentation, service all outstanding. An experience to savour. From ribbon-tied boxes to edible flowers, this was one of my most memorable dining experiences in New York. For special occasions !Special Features:
- Simply fantasticLesterNDined on 4/24/2014One of the most memorable dinners we've ever had. The food is definitely on par with most restaurants we've been to with two Michelin stars. We went for the special seasonal menu with sake pairing -- while expensive it is well worth the price. We were lucky being there a day they had fresh bamboo shoots flown in from Kyoto, used in perhaps the most exiting dish we've ever had. All of the dishes had something unique, new, and interesting to offer, and the sake was fantastic on its own and even better with the food. We're already looking forward to our next visit.Special Features:
- vegan joyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/22/2014We had the "hana" meal, which included 8 courses. Each dish was exquisite. The presentation and flavours were carefully considered. This is one of the best meals we've ever had. Having lived in Japan for years as vegetarians, this kind of meal would be near impossible to find there...so, thank you, Kajitsu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Culinary PoetryOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 4/18/2014This was truly one of my most memorable experiences. If you like adventure, exquisite presentation and experiences that play with all your senses - you must try it! Absolutely out of this world - there is nothing like the experience you'll have here.Special Features:
- VeganDsungDined on 4/13/2014Vegan cooking with a flare but not to my taste. Last course Was very unappetizing. Price is high for what you get
- Fantastic ExperiencechillgunasDined on 4/13/2014Impeccable service, amazing food, great sake. It was just a fantastic dining experience all around, and I can't wait to go again.Special Features:
- worth a Michelin star !!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 4/4/2014Did not expect vegan food to be so tasty and so much flavor..All of the ingredients were fresh and were purchased locally...the flavors of each ingredient were all in harmony when all put together...Service was excellent and attention to detail was impecable...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- overbearing service and overpricedDianaVIPDined on 4/3/2014this restaurant serves chef and staff but not clients. Every move you made, whether it was to place your chop sticks on the left side of tray would be interrupted by a server who would place chop sticks on other side. The servers reached over you and were constantly hovering over you. It was really annoying. The chef wouldn't allow us to order from different price fixed menus...we were told that we all had to order the same thing. Each menu offered same items but more expensive one had additional items. 2 wanted more expensive option but they couldn't have it unless all 6 ordered the same so we opted for the smaller option. We weren't told this in advance of booking.Food was very overpriced for what it was & not that tasty.Horrible!
- A Lovely Japanese Shojin Kaiseki!CococatNYCVIPDined on 4/1/2014We went Kajitsu at the New Chef's starting night. We're a big fun of Mr. Nishihara(Original chef @E.9th St.). After he left there, we're very disappointed Kajitsu's dish. Therefore, we expected to the new chef's creation at this time. it's a lovely spring tasty dishes as well as a good service. Our wait person was MARI who was a very kind to explain the Hana course($95)and drinks. We'll go back to try a summer dishes again soon! Highly recommend for the creative dish's lover w/season vegetables!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SpectacularJustinVDined on 3/27/2014Subtle, delicious, exciting, innovative…these just don't really do this experience justice. There was a set menu ($120) for the 5yr anniversary of the restaurant and every course brought a new experience and taste. It really did rate as one of the best dining experiences of my life so far! The sake pairing was delicious and the tea was beautiful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We did the 2+ hour long tastingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/23/2014We did the 2+ hour long tasting menu. One of the three best meals of my life. Completely warranted that this restaurant won a Michelin star. Totally transporting experience, felt like I was back in Japan. My wife has never been to Japan, but she felt transported as well. We sat chef side and watched all the preparations, which was really interesting. The service was some of the best we've ever had a restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Genuinely extraordinary inMarylinDined on 3/22/2014Genuinely extraordinary in every aspect enriching the NYC restaurant repertoire by highest quality of dining. Although the philosophy and art of Kajitsu is a true Japanese tradition, it is certainly revolutionary for New Yorkers. The Kajitsu experience becomes more intense if one educates self about the restaurants vision and Zen, which simply requires visiting their website. Without describing all details of their expertise, it guarantees nothing but satisfaction. Kajitsu will be highly appreciated by any sophisticated restaurant critique.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice place for dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/18/2014Very good food. Waitresses are informative, friendly and warming.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, even for non-vegansMattVIPDined on 3/18/2014I organized a dinner for a group of co-workers here based on a recommendation received from a Japanese friend of mine. We all went with the Hana menu option. Only one member of our group was a vegetarian but the entire group loved the meal. Each course was delicious, beautifully presented and creative. The sake list is also excellent. All in all, highly recommended. It is rather expensive but definitely worth the cost.Special Features: