Kai Sushi - The Ritz-Carlton, Kapalua
One Ritz-Carlton Drive
Lahaina, HI 96761Neighborhood:
SushiPrice: $30 and under
Kai Sushi - The Ritz-Carlton, Kapalua
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.ritzcarlton.com/en/Properties/KapaluaMaui/Dining/KaiSushiBar/Default.htm
- Phone: 8086657089x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Thursday-Monday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm
Closed: Tuesday and Wednesday
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Japanese
- Executive Chef: Tadashi Yoshino
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, View, Wine
A word from Kai Sushi - The Ritz-Carlton, Kapalua
Located across The Alaloa Lounge, lobby level, Chef Tadashi Yoshino prepares the island’s freshest sushi and sashimi and traditional Japanese cuisine in a restaurant space with a design inspired by the native Hawaiians’ arrival across the sea. The menu is complemented by an extensive selection of warm and cold sakes and Japanese beers.Continued
Sip, Savor & Roll Sundays - 5:30 - 7:30 p.m. - $5 Sake & Japanese Beer, $10 Specialty Cocktails & $15 Sushi Specialty Roll(s).
Sip, Savor & Roll Sundays - 5:30 - 7:30 p.m. - $5 Sake & Japanese Beer, $10 Specialty Cocktails & $15 Sushi Specialty Roll(s).
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Kai Sushi - The Ritz-Carlton, Kapalua reviews from OpenTable diners
13 reviews since May 19, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
romantic (5)scenic view (4)great for outdoor dining (4)kid-friendly (3)fit for foodies (2)neighborhood gem (2)special occasion (1)great for lunch (1)good for groups (1)Show More
- not much viewOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/31/2014felt kind of closed in - not much of a view - view was better at our condo at Napili Pt. Too expensive for the experience.
- AverageberjVIPDined on 6/27/2014For the price and the location, you would expect a lot more from a sushi place. Very limited menu. Service was over the top.
- Great sushiyveineDined on 6/19/2014Very good sushi. Even though rice was so so, fish was very good; we thought it was better than Sansei next door. It's perhaps slightly more expensive than Sansei, but less crowded. And the view was gorgeous at early evening. Be sure to reserve early and ask for an outdoor table.Special Features:
- hawaiianeyeDined on 6/5/2014We eat a lot of excellent and creative sushi at many restaurants in So Cal. We would not go back to Kai for the following reasons: noncreative menu, no ambience - especially for a Hawaiian restaurant - very expensive - not a good variety of fish. Because of our poor experience there we did not try the other restaurant at the Ritz Carlton but found some great places outside of the hotel. Also, we informed the hotel of our poor experience and they were not interested.
- The following 116 reviews are from the Kai Sushi - The Ritz-Carlton, Kapalua reviews archive.
- needs to improvejeanVIPDined on 5/9/2014Seaweed salads w Maui onions were super Sushi not the freshest though it maybe good enough for the mass
- Magoo!CharlieCoDined on 5/4/2014We arrived after sunset & were seated on the verandah, very dim lighting, almost impossible to read the menu. Why one asks is it so hard for a restaurant to get the basics right? We removed the fake candle from its holder & tried reading the menu with it, semi successful. The food we ordered was ok, wouldn't rave. Waiter was very attentive and overall I would say this restaurant has the best food in the resort full restaurants serving mediocre cuisine.
- Sushi for the sensesLustygeoDined on 4/26/2014Excellent food high over a breathtaking scene. Great for a romantic evening with the one you love.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always the best sushi!FoodloverVIPDined on 4/20/2014I have to say that living on the Westside this is the best sushi restaurant there is. I am not sure why there are not more people going to this wonderful sushi bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Sushi food and sake.pekuriDined on 4/3/2014The more kind of fish, the better, such as 'ootoro(fatty tuna)' .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We are convinced that manyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/31/2014We are convinced that many visitors from Japan would highly appreciate for real taste of Japanese standard. We have found Kai Sushi was the one and must be the best in Mau or perhaps in Hawaii. During our stay in Maui at this time, other Japanese restaurants we visited were not such, or let's say, by American Japanese food which we did not enjoy at all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always the best.FoodloverVIPDined on 3/30/2014There is no compare if on the west side of Maui. Kai sushi is the best. Fish always fresh and service always spot on. We will be back for more.......Special Features:
- Always GreatBobsBasicsVIPDined on 3/9/2014A regular spot for us and we have never been disappointed! Excellent service, food and prep. Like sitting on the patio enjoying the ocean breeze. nice sake flights.Special Features:
- Excellent food - serving personalSracvbDined on 3/1/2014Excellent food - serving personal could have been a little more attentiveI would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightfully SurprisedhungryduckDined on 2/27/2014We didn't expect much when we arrived at Kai but were very surprised. Staff was very pleasant especially Miyako, our waitress. Sashimi was fresh and the side order of Toro was outstanding. Excellent saki selection. We drove up from Kaanapali to Kapalua to go to Kai and it was well worth the trip. We WILL go again next time to Maui.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A little disappointedWeheartMorimotoVIPDined on 2/1/2014We had a reservation which we were late for due to being stuck in an accident but we called to let them know and they were still able to accommodate us which was good. I had been talking about it for weeks and about how great the place was from my memory of it the first time I was there in 2009. It seemed the service was very rushed but they weren't really that busy. The food was good but not spectacular and they didn't have that many items that I expected from a traditional Japanese menu. People were polite but it still didn't feel very special. Not a horrible experience by any means, but nothing to write home about either.
- DisappointingDenverDinersVIPDined on 1/26/2014Perhaps our expectations were too high since it's a Ritz, but we were disappointed with our dinner and experience. The sushi was just average, nothing special. The dining experience was the worst part. It was a cool night with a strong breeze and with windows opened, even though it had to be clear to the staff that it was uncomfortable, many diners like us were trapped in a cool breeze throughout our meal. Even when we asked the staff to address the issue they could only partially close the door so the breeze continued. If the sushi and staff had been better it might have helped our experience, but sadly it was nothing special. Very unexpected for a Ritz property.
- Great food and great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/23/2013Great food and great service as always. My only concern is that we sat next to the door into the lobby of the Ritz and the noise level was quite high from the band/singer. Their performance was good, but we were there to enjoy our guests, not listen to the band.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice presentation of food.CB10VIPDined on 10/5/2013Nice presentation of food. Attentive wait staff. Thought the number of sake choice was a bit limited.Special Features:
- About expected for hotel sushiDrew102Dined on 9/14/2013Nice setting, fish was fresh. The sushi menu was limited to the basics. Service better than typical island. Nice view if outside. While there was nothing "wrong" with the food I would have expected more from a high cost sushi restaurant. Next time, I'll just drive up the road to SenseiSpecial Features:
- Good for something quick andOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/7/2013Good for something quick and easy. You will not be surprised by anything special here. You can find the same anywhere else.
- InnovativeOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 8/12/2013We have been to the 'other' Japanese restaurant many many times. The evening we went to Kai was a great choice. Innovative and very interesting food! We will most assuredly be returning to Kai. Prices? Not inexpensive and don't be expecting bento boxes. Not a huge menu, and at first some in our party did not think there was anything they would like. We finished everything from Sashimi to pot stickers to rolls to soup and a wonderful beef dish with small pancakes.Special Features:
- Good but not great.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/18/2013Basic sushi, not creative -okay drinks. If you just want basic sushi and sashimi and are staying at the hotel this is a good spot for you. Drinks are just okay, sweet and not worth the $13. We dined at Sensi earlier in the week and recommend it hands down over Kai and it is within walking distance of the Ritz. Neither of these sushi restaurants have views so they are really on an even playing field when it comes to atmosphere.Special Features:
- Food quality very goodHarmonyDined on 7/6/2013Have heard this is one of the best sushi restaurants anywhere, so we were really excited to try it, especially since we were staying at the Ritz in the same location. The food quality was excellent. I was hoping for a deeper sushi menu though. They had all of the basic rolls, which were excellent, but if you are looking for a bunch of different sushi roll options, Sansei just around the corner in Kapalua had so many more options. Sansei is definitely noisier and more crowded (and always busy), but the sushi is cheaper (and I think the quality was just as good), and the menu (sushi and non-sushi options) was much deeper.I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedsushiloverDined on 6/29/2013My family & I love sushi and I guess our expectations were too high. So we were disappointed when the food was not to our liking. It's okay but I would not go back and I would not suggest it to anyone.
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/27/2013Top quality and taste, excellent service, fair prices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kai SushitmdinerDined on 6/10/2013Excellent service. Our waitress have us a few extra hand towels, not sure what those were for. The artichoke dip is AMAZING as well as the kalbi with the peanut sauce. Sushi is good (I've had better). Overall a pleasant experience. A little on the print side...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SushiSkippyDined on 6/7/2013This is the place! If you like sashimi and sushi don't skip Kai SushiSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Accessible SushisushisnobDined on 6/1/2013Late on a Saturday afternoon we found ourselves in the middle of Ka'anapali w/o dinner reservations. OMG! What do we do? "Open Table" of course. We ate at Lahaina Grille the night before, so tough act to follow. We love sushi and saw an opening at the right time for Kai Sushi Bistro with lots of good reviews at the Ritz. We thought we were lucky and that it would be super busy. To our surprise we had a beautiful drive to Kapalua and the Rittz and walked into the lobby to find a pretty mello restaurant with our choice of a good seat over looking the property. The sushi was good- we've had better- but for the ambiance and the service, we felt pretty good and it wasn't a hassle at all to get in.Special Features:
- Sushi for a price...TravelinMan26VIPDined on 5/27/2013All in all a good restaurant at the Ritz Carlton with good food and not outrageous prices like the other restaurants at the Ritz.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not a full service restaurantJade38VIPDined on 5/26/2013We visited Kai Sushi on Sunday May 26. We ordered Chicken Yakitori, Sushi/Sashimi combo, Sashimi combo and 2 Special Sushi platter ($15 ea), finished with Carrot Cake and Pina Carmel Cake. The Sushi and Sashimi were very fresh, the rice has a sweet taste and very moist. The desserts are both very good. Go there before 6pm and you can order the Special Sushi platter for $15/order. They were absolutely great. This is not a full service Japanese restaurant. I recommend it for before/after dinner drop-by only because it is pricey and the portion small. It will cost a lot to fill you up. There's no hot dish available except the Miso soup and Chicken Yakitori. The MIso soup was ordinary (as in Food Court) and the Chicken Yakitori was dry.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A beautiful restaurant, viewMaryaDined on 5/25/2013A beautiful restaurant, view and the sushi is good, although not very creative-just the usual. It's an easy stroll to the bar which is also a beautiful place. The night we were there we could hear the music from the bar-a two person band. The music was so good we thought it must be recorded. But the singer-guitar player was just so good at imitating famous songs.Special Features:
- Always great!!!FoodloverVIPDined on 5/23/2013Not much to say. If your in Kapalua you have to go to kai if you want Fresh sushi!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just a perfect place for sushiFoodloverVIPDined on 5/13/2013Just a perfect place for sushi and Japanese food. In the ritz carlton and with great music as well....I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 5/6/2013great sushi, awesome dessert (triple chocolate sampler), must try the artichoke, mushroom dip. A little pricey but worth it. Amazing sunset viewSpecial Features:
- What an awesome place. TheOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/26/2013What an awesome place. The server Melissa was very knowledgeable and pleasant. Definitely will recommend!Special Features:
- Good Japanese FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/11/2013The sushi and sashimi was very fresh and of excellent flavour. The server was knowledgable and gave good advice on what to choose. Prices were reasonable. Overall a good impression.Special Features:
- Adult night out on MauiOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/31/2013We were on Maui with friends and left the kids with grandparents while all the adults went to dinner. We are all health conscious but love food. The sushi was awesome. Fresh and yummy... We ordered a second round of every roll. We had sooo much fun. We indulged in champagne, wine, sake, beer & dessert (we don't sound health conscious here) . Everything was great from start to finish. We even requested bigger, full bodied wine glasses and they were on the table within minutes. Staff was beyond nice. Our waitress was Michelle! Awesome! It is a mellow place but it can be more energetic depending on your group or nice for a little romantic night out. We were the energetic group but there were tables of two sharing dessert as well.Special Features:
- Fresh as can be and large portions.FoodloverVIPDined on 3/22/2013This is the best sushi around.Fresh and very large portions. I hear that other places near by are good too, but I find that there sushi is pre made and not as fresh tasting, if you want awesome eat here for the price. But if you dont care there are cheaper places, but do not complain it was your choice.....Kai is fantastic and we will return....Special Features:
- Sushi is better than rolls,PatStLDined on 1/14/2013Sushi is better than rolls, the rice masks the taste of the fish. Take time to enjoy the lobby bar prior to or after dinner. Nice music and ambiance.
- Good sushi if you're usedNicolasVIPDined on 10/28/2012Good sushi if you're used to great sushi. Metropolitan dwellers with access to great sushi will think this is right in line quality and price wise as a decent sushi place in NYC, SF, LA or Chicago. Good, but nothing to write home about. I say this because everyone on the island lauded it as the best-melt-in-your-mouth-to-die-for sushi. Sashimi was B+. Specialty Maki rolls were nothing inspired. Best part of the place is the amazing view and warm island breeze that caresses you as you dine. I recommend the saki tasting.Special Features: