421 14th Avenue S.E.
Minneapolis, MN 55415Neighborhood:
Downtown / North Loop
Global, InternationalPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.kafe421.com/
- Phone: (612) 623-4900
- Hours of Operation:
Open for Lunch and Dinner 7 Days A Week
Monday - Thursday 11 AM - 9 PM, Friday & Saturday 11 AM - 10 PM, Sunday 12 PM - 9 PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, Global, International
- Executive Chef: Georgia Sander - Owner
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: With twenty years of catering experience, Kafe 421 is capable and eager to help with any catering needs, whether it is a grand wedding or a box lunch order. Are catering menu can be seen on the website. We take care of all the nuts and bolts. From food to flowers to servrs we take the party out of your hands and let you enjoy yourself! Call and speak with Georgia or Antigoni for more event planning information.
- Private Party Facilities: Our dining rooms are perfect for groom's dinners, showers, corporate events, and many other types of groups. We can seat up to 55 people for a sit-down dinner and up to 90 for a standing reception. For more information, rates on room rental and other details, please call our catering and events department.
There is no charge to rent the space on Sundays!
- Private Party Contact: Antigoni Sander McCloud, Georgia Sander and Loren 6126234900
- Special Events: Kafe 421 specializes in private events. Our back dining room is the perfect spot for a Groom's Dinner or Bridal Shower, or event your office holiday party. Room Fee apply Monday - Saturday and the space is free on Sunday's!
- Cross Street: Between 4th & 5th Street
- Public Transit: University of Minnesota area, so bus stops are prevalent
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: There are several municipal lots located in Dinkytown. If you have any questions regarding these lots, please call the restaurant, 612-623-4900.
There are two hour meters throughout the neighborhood. Payment for these goes into the payboxes located in the center of our block. The machines accept coins and credit/debit cards.
Please check our website for new and updated parking information.
A word from Kafe 421
"If you are looking for a casual place to eat . . . one that serves fresh, home-cooked food with a modern sensibility, add Kafe 421 to your list. Noticeably more subdued and less expensive than most other restaurants with food standards this high, 421 has something for everyone. [Owner Georgia Sander] keeps the "world pantry" combination of ingredients flowing along smoothly, focusing on Latin or Mediterranean flavors. For those on a budget, the sandwich list is creative and extensive . . . Keeping everyone happy seems to be Kafe 421's forte." Mpls.St.Paul MagazineContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Kafe 421 reviews from OpenTable diners
59 reviews since July 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (43)fit for foodies (31)special occasion (23)great for lunch (22)good for groups (22)romantic (11)notable wine list (6)great for brunch (5)kid-friendly (5)great for outdoor dining (4)late-night find (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- Unique menuOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/15/2014Service was excellent. Interesting and different foods to choose from. Nice wine list. Nice atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OUTSTANDING FAVEmimiDined on 10/31/2014This place has everything: good food; excellent, knowledgeable, friendly, attentive service; and something you don't find in a lot of popular restaurants: enough room between the tables so you can have conversation without rubbing elbows with fellow diners. A wonderful, relaxing dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I love Kafe 4212roybenDined on 10/26/2014Not much more I can say except you can't go wrong with any meal you order.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/24/2014Food was fantastic as always and service was excellent. A little noisy, which was unusual, but I think it was due to the large group seated next to us.Special Features:
- Kafe 421 a neighborhood gemOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/24/2014Kafe 421, located in Dinkytown near the University of Minnesota is a cafe that my wife and I go back to again and again for wonderful food. Georgia Sander, the gracious hostess, is always on hand to greet guests and make them feel as if they were in Georgia's own home. The food is excellent. The wine list, although short, is good. Prices are reasonable. We will go back again and again.Special Features:
- Good, kitchen mistake remediedOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/23/2014My husband and I chose Kafe 421 for Restaurant Week in October. The experience began fine, we chose to sit in the bar area due to happy hour still occuring. Once we ordered from the Restaurant Week menu, we were given the first course promptly, and the server stated that he would input the dinner order once we were finishing the first course, no problem. It took close to 45 minutes after we completed the first course to receive our dinner. The owner finally did bring it over and apologized and even bought our dinner, which I thought was generous. I understand kitchen mistakes happen and I appreciated the generosity of the owner. The food was fantastic and I will dine again, but I may choose to sit in the dining area next time.Special Features:
- Lunch on campusSethDined on 10/22/2014One of the best places to get real food for lunch on the U of M east bank campus. Went for restaurant week and everything I had was delicious, particularly the lemon tart for dessert. Will definitely be going back for more quick lunches after class.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- happydinerDined on 10/20/2014The food and service was exceptional.and the decor quite pleasant. The back room is my preference, since the front of the restaurant is quite close, busy, anc noisy..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good lunch option at the UM campusAlexanderVIPDined on 10/14/2014This is a reasonable place to have lunch at the UM campus. The food is quite good, but a bit too greasy. It's hard to find something really good in this area though...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fresh and inspiredwendylDined on 9/19/2014This dinkytown restaurant has a wonderful array of hot and cold foods-soups, sandwiches, salads, appetizers, and entrees with very fresh ingredients. There is mediterranean flair that includes lamb burgers, fish tacos, and greek-inspired dips. The smaller front room and the sidewalk seating out front are more crowded spaces, but work well for tables of two people. With larger groups, ask for seating in the back room which is more spacious and also quieter for conversations. There are daily specials. The borscht soup is a special treat. The owner is always on site-pleasant and personal. Service is quick and welcoming.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EnjoyableGoingOutDined on 9/14/2014Went as group to celebrate birthdays. Busy and noisy in front room but we had the whole back area to ourselves hence very quiet - except for us. Outside dining looked like fun but too cold that night. Food was flavorful and good. Meals different not just standard fare. Good meals at a reasonable prices. Great deal on "meals for two" - including salad and dessert. Wonderful desserts. Good wine. Serve wine and beer only. Service was excellent. Fun setting in Dinkytown by UMN.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Lunch findMalicious45Dined on 9/4/2014Very good place to lunch with friends. Wait staff very knowledgeable, attentive and accommodating! Food was well prepared, flavorful, appropriately portioned. Favorite were a sample appetizer plate with crab cakes, zucchini cake and skewered meats (lamb and chicken) and an artichoke dip with pita.Special Features:
- Kafe 421 a nice surpriseJimWDined on 8/30/2014We received a gift certificate to Kafe 421 and were pleasantly surprised at the quality of food and service at this small and cozy Dinkytown restaurant. The grilled salmon with red quinoa and veggies is especially recommended!Special Features:
- Great food. Nice serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/9/2014Loved Kafe 421 and would definitely return. Wonderful, freshly prepared food, interesting menu, awesome service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, Cozy PlaceBirthdayGirlDined on 8/2/2014Went here with a small group for a birthday dinner and had a great experience! The service was good and there were plenty of options for someone following the Paleo diet. The food was all excellent, and the deserts were even better. They have a good variety of dishes and really moderate prices (most entrees are between $15 and $20).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 530 reviews are from the Kafe 421 reviews archive.
- Still a hidden gemEmptyNestersVIPDined on 7/18/2014Visiting the University of Minnesota or going to a concert in the area? This is that hidden gem you're looking for. Great 'Greek' food--even if it doesn't sound Greek. Never disappointing. Georgia, the owner, keeps a special eye out on her customers. You'll make Kafe 421 a regular occurrence.Special Features:
- Good food, great service4thEelDined on 7/16/2014We always enjoy Kafe 421. Fast and friendly service, interesting food - some with a Greek twist - and nice ambiance. Not too noisy. The parking stinks at the moment in Dinkytown due to all of the construction but this is one of the best restaurants by the University if you are in the area visiting with your college-age kids or in town for a game.Special Features:
- Dinkytown DynamoP2soupDined on 7/9/2014Planted within the main campus of the UofM (TC), the place is all about the food. Great tasting and inventive menu items that change with some regularity. Fine selection of items, really nice wine list. Basic decor. Not fancy and no views (though some outside tables in the good weather). Just go for the food.Special Features:
- In lieu of a note to the ownersOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/28/2014Dear Kafe 421. I wanted to thank you for a wonderful dining experience. I have been wanting to try your restaurant for a long time as I have heard many good things about it. My friends and I were in before a show at Northrup and despite the restaurant being very busy the service and food were impeccable! We dine out a lot and I must say the service provided was the best we had received in a long time! We all definitely plan on visiting as frequently as we can in the future. Also, comping our appetizer platter was much appreciated! Keep doing what you are doing what you are doing! Don't miss the grape leaves and while all of the food was fantastic the lemon risotto was also a stand out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dontgetoutmuchDined on 6/21/2014I was impressed with every aspect of our dining experience at Kafe 421. From the very first when I needed to change my reservation the person who answered the phone was as pleasant as could be. The excellent service continued with our waitress. She was lovely and gave true customer service. The ambience was peaceful and the food was excellent. Our delicious artichoke and feta appetizer was followed by the fish of the day and the salmon on the menu. They were scrumptious! A delightful glass of wine topped off the meal. All in all I have to say it was one of the most enjoyable evenings I have had in a long time!Special Features:
- Cafe 421OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/11/2014As usual Cafe 421 met our expectations. Great food, great waitstaff, great owner, GEORGIA - a warm and gracious woman.Special Features:
- JulischkaDined on 6/7/2014Kafe 421 is consistently outstanding. Its moderately-priced food is excellent, the presentation is attractive, and the wait-staff is friendly and competent, with helpful information about menu items and their contents. The owners often visit tables and pay attention to see that everything is running smoothly. The whole experience is most enjoyable. I'll be back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kafe421JKWVDined on 5/31/2014We picked Kafe421 because we were in the area for another event and had never eaten in Dinkytown. The menu offered a vast array of ethnic foods, from Greek to Italian to Russian, which are all family favorites. The pita chip & mango salsa app was fantastic & we thoroughly enjoyed our entrees. The highlight may have been our chat with the owner, Georgia, what a friendly and engaging person. We've already recommended Kafe421 to several friends.Special Features:
- Never a bad meal!!!HardToPleaseVIPDined on 5/28/2014The food, service and depth of menu choices is unsurpassed. Georgie and Antigone do an amazing job, and their catering is divine!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Constant excellenceGeorgiaonmymindDined on 5/19/2014Perfect service; greetings directly from Owner;hot food prepared to order even if off the menu; Greek influence for traditional items.Special Features:
- Great serviceFlyingcolorsDined on 5/16/2014We were late after a Northrop event but they still had our table prepared and cheerfully made it a memorable event for our party of six. Food and wine was great. Soft lighting and a window to dinky town made it a fun local find.Special Features:
- Like to patronize Kafe 421steve55126Dined on 5/11/2014This is a great locally owned place with wonderful service. We visit two to three time a year and it is always excellent. Very friendly people, owner often visits with you.Special Features:
- Georgia RocksLovie0219Dined on 5/11/2014I have been dining at this restaurant for about 7 years, usually just stopping in without reservations. Since I live east of St. Paul, Ka421 is a destination for good food, wonderful service and a welcoming hug from Georgia. We had reservations for 8, including 3 little boys ages 2, 6 and 8. The service was great, food fantastic and my daughters and their husbands were impressed. One of them commented "why haven't we come here before?" The Mothers' Day Brunch menu had a great selection from florentine leek tarts, crab cake eggs Benedict, scrambled eggs and bacon, fish with arugula and rice, with a couple kid sized plates. My favorite for dinner however, is to share a mezze platter and spanakopita, unless the specials tempt me.Special Features:
- Best in DinkytownJamesDined on 5/2/2014Consistently good food and service. Fair prices. Nice variety and options.Special Features:
- DeliciousdinkytownDined on 5/2/2014We met friends before a concert at Northrop. Noise level did not compete with our conversation. Yea! Appetizer plate was great in variety of tastes and textures (quite Greek). The small serving was just right for four. Shrimp Santorini was perfect. The only drawback was the parking. The lot behind the cafe is now a condo building. But there is valet parking on the corner of 14th and 5th. We came from a different direction and missed the sign.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite restaurantGoodFoodFanDined on 5/2/2014I love Kafe 421. The food, atmosphere and staff are all amazing. My husband & I love the pita chips with Mango Salsa. I always order the scallops with risotto. They make the best scallops around. I would highly recommend Kafe 421 for a date night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wine Wednesdays!BeckyDined on 4/23/2014This was my first time dining at Kafe 421 and everything about the experience was wonderful. Delicious food, great dinner specials, friendly and attentive waitstaff, affordable prices and 1/2 price bottles of wine. Lucky for us that we picked a Wednesday night to celebrate a birthday because that's the night bottles of wine are 1/2 price. Every Wednesday night. Nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Date NightChloeDined on 4/22/2014We loved the Date Night Special, with salads and entrees for two, plus a shared dessert. We have dined on Date Night several times, and the menu options are varied and always delicious! Chocolate mousse may be the best I have ever tasted. Great service, too!Special Features:
- Excellent food!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/20/2014Enjoyed Easter brunch at Kafe 421. My son had crab cakes benedict and I had a veggie egg strata. Assortment of breads and bowl of fresh fruit came with our meal. Fresh-squeezed OJ. Roasted potatoes and asparagus also came with meal. Beautifully presented, great service. A real find in Dinkytown.Special Features:
- Very Good Easter BrunchStravinskyDined on 4/20/2014The restaurant was very busy but still managed to make our group feel welcome and at home. The menu was interesting and we appreciated not having to fight a buffet line. Wine and mimosas were good and inexpensive. There was a slight wait for food...which one would expect on a holiday. The Benedicts were tasty and attractive. All in all, we had a great time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Easter Brunch2timerDined on 4/20/2014This was my first visit and I found it to be a neighborhood gem that was better than advertised. First off the weather was great, so dining outside only enhanced the experience because the food (excellent), service(excellent) and the prices(uber excellent) made for a fantastic Easter Brunch. I shall return in the future and will tout it to my friends for a place to have an enjoyable food experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great BrunchRCO1VIPDined on 4/20/2014I booked this to have brunch with a friend of mine on Easter. The food was amazing. Definitely a neighborhood gemSpecial Features:
- Making a listfoodyDined on 4/19/2014I couldn't decide what to get because there were so many great items on the menu! The butternut squash ravioli and grilled salmon were thumbs way up, as was the spanakopita and signature dips. It's one of those restaurants I almost don't want to tell people about because I want to make sure I can get a table! Speaking of that, reserve early. They fill up fast. So worth it!Special Features:
- nice comfortable eveningKathyVIPDined on 4/19/2014When we go to Kafe 421, we know what we will get. A little hard to find a parking spot sometimes but not too bad- depends on what is going on at the U. The atmosphere is usually lively but not too loud. This last time we were all seated in the back room which is not my favorite but it was ok. I don't think they were serving in the front room but I could have asked. The menu hasn't changed much and there was only one special. I ordered my old standby( salmon) and it was very good. I like this restaurant but don;t expect excitement., A really good meal but not dashing. That is not bad- predictably good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mixed feelingsHannahDined on 4/17/2014I have been to Kafe 421 once for lunch and, more recently, for my birthday dinner. I had a group reservation for 6. Unfortunately, we weren't served for about an hour. My salad arrived without dressing, so that I had to wait for the waitress to come around again to ask for some (although it was delicious once complete). I was a bit disappointed in that service. I would recommend this for lunch when they are more likely to be less busy.Special Features: