421 14th Avenue S.E.
Minneapolis, MN 55415Neighborhood:
Downtown / North Loop
Global, InternationalPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.kafe421.com/
- Phone: 6126234900
- Hours of Operation:
Open for Lunch and Dinner 7 Days A Week
Monday - Thursday 11 AM - 9 PM, Friday & Saturday 11 AM - 10 PM, Sunday 12 PM - 9 PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, Global, International
- Executive Chef: Georgia Sander - Owner
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: With twenty years of catering experience, Kafe 421 is capable and eager to help with any catering needs, whether it is a grand wedding or a box lunch order. Are catering menu can be seen on the website. We take care of all the nuts and bolts. From food to flowers to servrs we take the party out of your hands and let you enjoy yourself! Call and speak with Georgia or Antigoni for more event planning information.
- Private Party Facilities: Our dining rooms are perfect for groom's dinners, showers, corporate events, and many other types of groups. We can seat up to 55 people for a sit-down dinner and up to 90 for a standing reception. For more information, rates on room rental and other details, please call our catering and events department.
There is no charge to rent the space on Sundays!
- Private Party Contact: Antigoni Sander McCloud, Georgia Sander and Loren 6126234900
- Special Events: Kafe 421 specializes in private events. Our back dining room is the perfect spot for a Groom's Dinner or Bridal Shower, or event your office holiday party. Room Fee apply Monday - Saturday and the space is free on Sunday's!
- Cross Street: Between 4th & 5th Street
- Public Transit: University of Minnesota area, so bus stops are prevalent
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: There are several municipal lots located in Dinkytown. If you have any questions regarding these lots, please call the restaurant, 612-623-4900.
There are two hour meters throughout the neighborhood. Payment for these goes into the payboxes located in the center of our block. The machines accept coins and credit/debit cards.
Please check our website for new and updated parking information.
A word from Kafe 421
"If you are looking for a casual place to eat . . . one that serves fresh, home-cooked food with a modern sensibility, add Kafe 421 to your list. Noticeably more subdued and less expensive than most other restaurants with food standards this high, 421 has something for everyone. [Owner Georgia Sander] keeps the "world pantry" combination of ingredients flowing along smoothly, focusing on Latin or Mediterranean flavors. For those on a budget, the sandwich list is creative and extensive . . . Keeping everyone happy seems to be Kafe 421's forte." Mpls.St.Paul MagazineContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Kafe 421 - Best Restaurants in Downtown / North Loop ›
Kafe 421 reviews from OpenTable diners
49 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (37)fit for foodies (26)special occasion (18)great for lunch (18)great for outdoor dining (16)good for groups (14)romantic (10)great for brunch (6)kid-friendly (5)hot spot (4)notable wine list (4)late-night find (1)Show More
- Great Lunch findMalicious45Dined on 9/4/2014Very good place to lunch with friends. Wait staff very knowledgeable, attentive and accommodating! Food was well prepared, flavorful, appropriately portioned. Favorite were a sample appetizer plate with crab cakes, zucchini cake and skewered meats (lamb and chicken) and an artichoke dip with pita.Special Features:
- Kafe 421 a nice surpriseJimWDined on 8/30/2014We received a gift certificate to Kafe 421 and were pleasantly surprised at the quality of food and service at this small and cozy Dinkytown restaurant. The grilled salmon with red quinoa and veggies is especially recommended!Special Features:
- Great food. Nice serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/9/2014Loved Kafe 421 and would definitely return. Wonderful, freshly prepared food, interesting menu, awesome service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, Cozy PlaceBirthdayGirlDined on 8/2/2014Went here with a small group for a birthday dinner and had a great experience! The service was good and there were plenty of options for someone following the Paleo diet. The food was all excellent, and the deserts were even better. They have a good variety of dishes and really moderate prices (most entrees are between $15 and $20).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still a hidden gemEmptyNestersVIPDined on 7/18/2014Visiting the University of Minnesota or going to a concert in the area? This is that hidden gem you're looking for. Great 'Greek' food--even if it doesn't sound Greek. Never disappointing. Georgia, the owner, keeps a special eye out on her customers. You'll make Kafe 421 a regular occurrence.Special Features:
- Good food, great service4thEelDined on 7/16/2014We always enjoy Kafe 421. Fast and friendly service, interesting food - some with a Greek twist - and nice ambiance. Not too noisy. The parking stinks at the moment in Dinkytown due to all of the construction but this is one of the best restaurants by the University if you are in the area visiting with your college-age kids or in town for a game.Special Features:
- Dinkytown DynamoP2soupDined on 7/9/2014Planted within the main campus of the UofM (TC), the place is all about the food. Great tasting and inventive menu items that change with some regularity. Fine selection of items, really nice wine list. Basic decor. Not fancy and no views (though some outside tables in the good weather). Just go for the food.Special Features:
- In lieu of a note to the ownersOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/28/2014Dear Kafe 421. I wanted to thank you for a wonderful dining experience. I have been wanting to try your restaurant for a long time as I have heard many good things about it. My friends and I were in before a show at Northrup and despite the restaurant being very busy the service and food were impeccable! We dine out a lot and I must say the service provided was the best we had received in a long time! We all definitely plan on visiting as frequently as we can in the future. Also, comping our appetizer platter was much appreciated! Keep doing what you are doing what you are doing! Don't miss the grape leaves and while all of the food was fantastic the lemon risotto was also a stand out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dontgetoutmuchDined on 6/21/2014I was impressed with every aspect of our dining experience at Kafe 421. From the very first when I needed to change my reservation the person who answered the phone was as pleasant as could be. The excellent service continued with our waitress. She was lovely and gave true customer service. The ambience was peaceful and the food was excellent. Our delicious artichoke and feta appetizer was followed by the fish of the day and the salmon on the menu. They were scrumptious! A delightful glass of wine topped off the meal. All in all I have to say it was one of the most enjoyable evenings I have had in a long time!Special Features:
- Cafe 421OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/11/2014As usual Cafe 421 met our expectations. Great food, great waitstaff, great owner, GEORGIA - a warm and gracious woman.Special Features:
- JulischkaDined on 6/7/2014Kafe 421 is consistently outstanding. Its moderately-priced food is excellent, the presentation is attractive, and the wait-staff is friendly and competent, with helpful information about menu items and their contents. The owners often visit tables and pay attention to see that everything is running smoothly. The whole experience is most enjoyable. I'll be back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kafe421JKWVDined on 5/31/2014We picked Kafe421 because we were in the area for another event and had never eaten in Dinkytown. The menu offered a vast array of ethnic foods, from Greek to Italian to Russian, which are all family favorites. The pita chip & mango salsa app was fantastic & we thoroughly enjoyed our entrees. The highlight may have been our chat with the owner, Georgia, what a friendly and engaging person. We've already recommended Kafe421 to several friends.Special Features:
- Never a bad meal!!!HardToPleaseDined on 5/28/2014The food, service and depth of menu choices is unsurpassed. Georgie and Antigone do an amazing job, and their catering is divine!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 521 reviews are from the Kafe 421 reviews archive.
- Constant excellenceGeorgiaonmymindDined on 5/19/2014Perfect service; greetings directly from Owner;hot food prepared to order even if off the menu; Greek influence for traditional items.Special Features:
- Great serviceFlyingcolorsDined on 5/16/2014We were late after a Northrop event but they still had our table prepared and cheerfully made it a memorable event for our party of six. Food and wine was great. Soft lighting and a window to dinky town made it a fun local find.Special Features:
- Like to patronize Kafe 421steve55126Dined on 5/11/2014This is a great locally owned place with wonderful service. We visit two to three time a year and it is always excellent. Very friendly people, owner often visits with you.Special Features:
- Georgia RocksLovie0219Dined on 5/11/2014I have been dining at this restaurant for about 7 years, usually just stopping in without reservations. Since I live east of St. Paul, Ka421 is a destination for good food, wonderful service and a welcoming hug from Georgia. We had reservations for 8, including 3 little boys ages 2, 6 and 8. The service was great, food fantastic and my daughters and their husbands were impressed. One of them commented "why haven't we come here before?" The Mothers' Day Brunch menu had a great selection from florentine leek tarts, crab cake eggs Benedict, scrambled eggs and bacon, fish with arugula and rice, with a couple kid sized plates. My favorite for dinner however, is to share a mezze platter and spanakopita, unless the specials tempt me.Special Features:
- Best in DinkytownJamesDined on 5/2/2014Consistently good food and service. Fair prices. Nice variety and options.Special Features:
- DeliciousdinkytownDined on 5/2/2014We met friends before a concert at Northrop. Noise level did not compete with our conversation. Yea! Appetizer plate was great in variety of tastes and textures (quite Greek). The small serving was just right for four. Shrimp Santorini was perfect. The only drawback was the parking. The lot behind the cafe is now a condo building. But there is valet parking on the corner of 14th and 5th. We came from a different direction and missed the sign.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite restaurantGoodFoodFanDined on 5/2/2014I love Kafe 421. The food, atmosphere and staff are all amazing. My husband & I love the pita chips with Mango Salsa. I always order the scallops with risotto. They make the best scallops around. I would highly recommend Kafe 421 for a date night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wine Wednesdays!BeckyDined on 4/23/2014This was my first time dining at Kafe 421 and everything about the experience was wonderful. Delicious food, great dinner specials, friendly and attentive waitstaff, affordable prices and 1/2 price bottles of wine. Lucky for us that we picked a Wednesday night to celebrate a birthday because that's the night bottles of wine are 1/2 price. Every Wednesday night. Nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Date NightChloeDined on 4/22/2014We loved the Date Night Special, with salads and entrees for two, plus a shared dessert. We have dined on Date Night several times, and the menu options are varied and always delicious! Chocolate mousse may be the best I have ever tasted. Great service, too!Special Features:
- Excellent food!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/20/2014Enjoyed Easter brunch at Kafe 421. My son had crab cakes benedict and I had a veggie egg strata. Assortment of breads and bowl of fresh fruit came with our meal. Fresh-squeezed OJ. Roasted potatoes and asparagus also came with meal. Beautifully presented, great service. A real find in Dinkytown.Special Features:
- Very Good Easter BrunchStravinskyDined on 4/20/2014The restaurant was very busy but still managed to make our group feel welcome and at home. The menu was interesting and we appreciated not having to fight a buffet line. Wine and mimosas were good and inexpensive. There was a slight wait for food...which one would expect on a holiday. The Benedicts were tasty and attractive. All in all, we had a great time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Easter Brunch2timerDined on 4/20/2014This was my first visit and I found it to be a neighborhood gem that was better than advertised. First off the weather was great, so dining outside only enhanced the experience because the food (excellent), service(excellent) and the prices(uber excellent) made for a fantastic Easter Brunch. I shall return in the future and will tout it to my friends for a place to have an enjoyable food experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great BrunchRCO1VIPDined on 4/20/2014I booked this to have brunch with a friend of mine on Easter. The food was amazing. Definitely a neighborhood gemSpecial Features:
- Making a listfoodyDined on 4/19/2014I couldn't decide what to get because there were so many great items on the menu! The butternut squash ravioli and grilled salmon were thumbs way up, as was the spanakopita and signature dips. It's one of those restaurants I almost don't want to tell people about because I want to make sure I can get a table! Speaking of that, reserve early. They fill up fast. So worth it!Special Features:
- nice comfortable eveningKathyVIPDined on 4/19/2014When we go to Kafe 421, we know what we will get. A little hard to find a parking spot sometimes but not too bad- depends on what is going on at the U. The atmosphere is usually lively but not too loud. This last time we were all seated in the back room which is not my favorite but it was ok. I don't think they were serving in the front room but I could have asked. The menu hasn't changed much and there was only one special. I ordered my old standby( salmon) and it was very good. I like this restaurant but don;t expect excitement., A really good meal but not dashing. That is not bad- predictably good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mixed feelingsHannahDined on 4/17/2014I have been to Kafe 421 once for lunch and, more recently, for my birthday dinner. I had a group reservation for 6. Unfortunately, we weren't served for about an hour. My salad arrived without dressing, so that I had to wait for the waitress to come around again to ask for some (although it was delicious once complete). I was a bit disappointed in that service. I would recommend this for lunch when they are more likely to be less busy.Special Features:
- Dinkytown gemDeborahDined on 4/16/2014The food is wonderful and the owner/host exudes friendliness. A small, cozy place with charm rather than pretentiousness. Definitely try the Mezedes Plate!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The feta artichoke appetizermnfriendVIPDined on 4/11/2014The feta artichoke appetizer is amazing. Loved the corfina special. Excellent food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasantly SurprisedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/4/2014Chose this restaurant due to its location near the Northrup Theater. First impression wasn't fantastic. The interior feltike an older, dark, common diner. The restaurant was packed, so we felt there must be a reason for so many patrons. That reason is the food. Excellent. I had a wonderful bouillabaisse and my daughter had a perfectly cooked 421 burger. The creme brûlée wasn't fantastic. It tasted as though it was prepared early that day and reheated. A little disappointing. Overall, it was a terrific meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Univ. of Minnesota Place take studeMickeyDined on 4/2/2014We took our granddaughter and her roommate to dinner here. The service was great and she was very kind to all the young students there, specially our daughter. Liked it so much I bought our granddaughter a gift cert. I plan on sending her in about a month to remind her of all the fun we had there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our favoriteprinceharryDined on 3/22/2014We discovered Kaffe 421 almost 2 years ago when we had a family post wedding dinner. We have been back many times with and without friends and have always had a great meal, good wine and excellent, friendly service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Time - Loved ItMJKoepkeDined on 3/8/2014Found Kafe 421 on Open Table. A really nice, relaxed atmosphere and interesting menu that is modestly priced - coupled with a limited wine list consisting of solid quality wines and a selection across a number of varieties all very reasonably priced. Bottom line, this little gem adds up to a really pleasant dining experience where you can easily have conversation with your tablemates and enjoy the varied menu. Appetizer special and all of our meals were tremendous! Though we aren't in the neighborhood, we will make a point of going back. Also, we used the Dinkytown Valet service near the Loring Pasta Bar to get around any parking hassle as construciton has limited parking nearby - extremely easy and $10 for the evening.Special Features:
- Excellent food! Lots of choicesskramieDined on 3/8/2014Excellent food! Lots of choices (even for vegetarians).....quality ingredients with reasonable prices (the secret for a good restaurant). You felt like you had a 5-star meal with not shelling out an arm and a leg.....I highly recommend this restaurantSpecial Features:
- Fast Becoming a FavoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/1/2014This is the second time we have eaten at Kafe 421, and we walked away thoroughly satisfied each time. The service has been prompt, friendly, courteous, and helpful. The menu offers an array of items that can't be found just anywhere. The food itself is well prepared. We will definitely be back when we are in Minneapolis.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dinkytown DiningGopherfanzDined on 2/28/2014Dined at Kafe 421 for the first time a year ago. It was a great experience so wanted to give it a second try before the Gopher hockey game on Friday night. The table in the back dining room was ready when we arrived promptly at 6:30. Everything was perfect to start with...and continued that way until we walked out the door. Great service, delicious food (three of us ordered the fish stew), reasonable prices. This has to be one of the best restaurants in Dinkytown.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything was really tastyRBORBADined on 2/15/2014Everything was really tasty but I wouldn't recommend the creme brulle.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- first timetomsDined on 2/14/2014first time here, and was very pleased with the service and food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.