116 Avenue C
New York, NY 10009Neighborhood:
Eastern EuropeanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.kafananyc.com/
- Phone: (212) 353-8000
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Saturday - Sunday: 12:00pm - 5:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 1:00am
- Payment Options:
- Cuisine: European, Comfort Food, Eastern European
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Please call for more information.
A word from Kafana
Authentic Serbian Cuisine.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Kafana - Best Restaurants in East Village ›
Kafana reviews from OpenTable diners
47 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.7Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (37)fit for foodies (27)notable wine list (18)romantic (17)good for groups (14)great for lunch (10)late-night find (9)special occasion (9)hot spot (7)great for outdoor dining (6)great for brunch (3)vibrant bar scene (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Service needs to live upIvanaSsDined on 11/23/2014I'm Serbian living in NYC and working in the industry for a long time. Thus far I know that for having a successful restaurant, other than good food and ambiance - you need to have a good service. And by good service I mean good hospitality. I haven't been surprised at all that this was lacking. As a matter of fact , I had a feeling they're just relying on the fact that a lot of Serbian people come here and that they will tip by default because of it. That's ok If they plan on staying in that circle. But if they want to put our cusine and hospitality outhere they need to keep up. However, food is very good , it took me on a trip to my homeland! Try the spinach pie and baked beans, they're really authentic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, unique menumttgrmmDined on 11/21/2014Not often you get to try Serbian food, but it was delicious. Would definitely go back. Only minor complaint was that the pork (as part of the "mixed grill platter") was a bit dry, but otherwise the meal was fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- jj01VIPDined on 11/15/2014enjoyed kafana. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxI would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique and great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 11/7/2014Great, authentic food. The wait staff is quick, but pleasantly answer any questions about the menu (they know it inside an out). Also, the wait staff dealt very effectively yet politely with a customer who was half in the bag and pretty disruptive. I appreciated that because it was 7 pm on a Friday, and we weren't looking to rage. Just wanted a nice dinner, and the wait staff made sure we got that! Try the Jupi :)Special Features:
- Serbian comfort foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/6/2014If you like serbian-balkan food don't miss this place. Most of the traditional dishes are on the menu and they are prepared like you are eating back home in Serbia. Only disaadvantage they don't take cc only cash. Overall very good place because of the food and as well prices are reasonable.Service is ok.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kafana's a keeper!aggieDined on 11/1/2014Enjoyable 1st dinner. Tiny and cozy with an old-world feel and glowing lighting. Very tasty, fresh, and caringly prepared food. Favorite dishes were the Serbian bread with cheese and smoked meat, the tomato feta soup, the spicy smoked sausages with beans (leftovers of this were wonderful with a fried egg the next morning!), a sprightly dressed red cabbage salad, and the liver, prune and bacon entree, which my son was swooning over. For dessert, the palascinka with apricot jam was a standout. The service is efficient and courteous and extraneous chitchat is blessedly minimal. Small, so pretty noisy, and while I like alternative rock music, it didn' t really hit it for me here with the old world atmosphere. But we'll definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JecaJupiVIPDined on 10/26/2014Each dish taste the same as back in Serbia. There is great verity of meat, fish, hot stees , soups and pies but make sure to save enough space for spectacular deserts. Ambiance is very comfortable and will have you feel " at home" even if you have nothing to do with that culture.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- hearty, friendly, meaty!JandGDined on 10/25/2014Most of the menu is meat. Hearty Serbian home cooking. Vibrant cozy atmosphere. Efficient welcoming staff. Loved it.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/18/2014I am Serbian, and really like this place. I stop by every time I come from DC to visit NY. Food, music, and ambiance are great. But on my latest visit, we were rushed to place an order, and politely rushed out. Maybe because it was Saturday and they were busy, but when I come to a Serbian restaurant, I would also like to dine in a leisurely way Serbians do. Therefore service rating in only "good".Special Features:
- Great!NotafoodieDined on 9/6/2014Loves it. Inexpensive delicious food with a great ambiance. Small and cozy. Friendly quick service. Good for vegetarians even though they do focus on meat. Looks like a cute outdoor space. Close to lots of other things as well for a drink after. Have been in the past also when they had love music which was great also. Cash only thoughSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best bar west of the Serbian borderSkomiDined on 8/22/2014my favorite resto-bar in NYC, especially on a Friday. young friendly vibrant staff. Cash-only. Not for prudes, you gotta drink the amazing brandies and chew on the tasty meats!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeas400katDined on 8/15/2014We enjoyed eating at Kafana, it was my husband's birthday and we loved the food. The lepinja w/kajmak were excellent, the cabbage salad was great, the special tomato soup was delicious with feta cheese inside, what a combination. We had the mixed grill for two, that was great, the only thing we didn't love was the liver, but that is personal preference. Great place for meatlovers. Overall it was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really good!OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/13/2014I go there when I have concerts to go to on the LES, it's a really fine place.Special Features:
- cuisine54cuisine54Dined on 8/1/2014This was our first time at Kafana, but it will not be our last even though we live in Pittsburgh. It was worth the trip to the Alphabet City part of Manhattan for this gourmet Serbian meal. We started out with the cheese gibanica as an appetizer. Its flaky layers of pastry were so fine and the cheese had just the right flavor. Come to Kafana with an empty stomach because the portions are huge. We ordered the specials - pork shoulder and lamb shank. I haven't tasted lamb that good since my Jedo was barbecuing it on a spit. Tender doesn't begin to describe the meat. The entrees came with homemade mashed potatoes (yum) and red cabbage. The wheat dessert (zito) topped the evening. Great service by Lika, our waitress.Special Features:
- The following 127 reviews are from the Kafana reviews archive.
- Best for BalkandavidjenisonVIPDined on 7/16/2014This is the ideal place downtown to sample Balkan food, which is essentially a mix of Ottoman and Hapsburg-era cuisines. The grilled meats is the star, but don't miss out on the cheese or spinach pastry for an app. Definitely draws a Slavic crowd, which attests to its authenticity. Also a good place to try a wine from Slovenia or Croatia.Special Features:
- First timechi89cagoDined on 6/28/2014This was our first time visiting the Kafana in New York. We came without reservation on a Friday night, but it was packed and we couldn't get a table until about 11:30pm. We came back the next day with reservations and had an amazing meal after a long day of touring the city. Everything was great! Atmosphere was awesome (guests were watching a soccer game on TV, but it wasn't distracting or too loud for us at all). Our server was pleasant, but offered up some unneeded "attitude" and seemed bothered. I ordered Pljeskavica, which was amazing. My sister had a grilled fish, and choked on a few bones, but no one warned her about that. My dad ordered lamb, but received a different order of lamb. Other than that, it was a great experience.Special Features:
- DisappointingBelgradeDined on 5/31/2014Could not wait to try Kafana.....food was good.......service was bad.....asked for certain type of refreshments, rec'd incorrect drinks. Took forever for the table to be cleared....coffee machine broken...... bottom line they really could not be bothered with us...yet seems regulars had all the attention.Special Features:
- Great restaurant and food!JennyDined on 5/29/2014Great place to have dinner with one other or a group. The food was outstanding, fresh and hard to stop when you are full! I grew up on this food as my parents are from Serbia, but living away from home (another country!) I don't get to have it as much. This is a good alternative to my mum's cooking - and that's saying something!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth Checking OutOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/10/2014I went here was some Serbian friends. I thought it was excellent, they agreed that it was authentic and good. If you are interested in trying out a new cuisine, this place is worth a visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Serbian FoodGreatSerbianFoodDined on 5/9/2014We enjoyed the mixed grill platter, and mashed potatoes.Special Features:
- NicknameVIPDined on 4/19/2014Serbian food? Based on a single brunch, Kafana's cuisine seems seductive -- not quite Middle Eastern, not quite East European, more a blend of the two -- good enough that I'm interested in a return visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Out of the ordinaryOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/5/2014If you are looking for delicious comfort food with a european feel this is a terrific place to go. Every dish was presented well, cook perfectly, seasoned perfectly and tasted freshly made. Highly recommendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Serbian restaurantHtzpahDined on 3/23/2014An authentic experience with cuisine at the top of its game.Special Features:
- Memorable meal!EileenDined on 3/15/2014We had an excellent experience at Kafana - they accommodated all 14 of us, which is a large party for such a cozy restaurant. The food and wine were both excellent, and I loved that they gave us plenty of time to longer between courses. Such a great evening - we will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a pleasant visit!Just5ofusDined on 3/8/2014Love this place, the ambiance, food, service, all very pleasant. The whole fish was super fresh this time.Special Features:
- great food, not as great servicecroxoxoDined on 2/21/2014The food is delicious, I liked it better then some actual restaurants in Croatia and Serbia. So I give an A+ for that. The service was not as great, the servers were a bit harsh and we felt like they are rushing us to eat as fast as possible and just get out. Also they brought me the wrong drink, but I liked that one as well so I didn't say anything. But overall if you want to eat some good Cro/Serb/Bosnian food I would definetly recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mmmm yumm meat goodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/14/2014Ordered a meat sampler for two (Masano grill?). Porkchops were very juicy! Sausages were pink in the center...mmm tasty. Not a fan of liver but the chicken liver wrapped in bacon was okay, wouldn't order it on purpose. Side salad could use some work. Wine and Turkish coffee were superb....mmm wine. Music was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rude service, cash-onlyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/14/2014You most definitely cannot choose where to sit, even if the restaurant was empty when we got there, and you only find out that it's cash-only once you are inside. The only reason to go here really is for the Serbian/Eastern European food which was good and pretty cheap.
- Worth the trek to ave COpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 2/9/2014Fantastic food. Cozy setting. Pleasant staff. Awesome lunch on a cold winter's day!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic all around!CherylDined on 1/18/2014First time visiting Kafana and if I were a New Yorker I'd be there every week. Every aspect of the dining experience was perfect. The server was very friendly and sociable, the portions were large and tasty and well-priced. The house red was delicious and the ambiance? Very cozy and warm.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic find!LSGourmetDined on 1/18/2014Ethnic Serbian, stuffed cabbage, rolled veal stuffed with ham and cheese, prunes stuffed with liver and walnuts, then wrapped in bacon and grilled to perfection. The sour cherry pie and other desserts were incredible. This place is a great find. Our group of eight was treated like family, the wait staff was attentive but not intrusive. They knew the menu cold and were able to explain the dishes and make recommendations that worked! Don't come for the decor because it isn't there, come for the food! You will not be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique and AmazingTheArtOfFoodDined on 1/3/2014Thankfully we made reservations beforehand because this place was packed on the Friday we had attended. The location itself is very secluded and on the smaller size so I'd recommend making reservations. The food was on another level of delicious with an authentic taste of the Balkans that has you forgetting you're in NYC. The ambiance was very calming yet energetic at the same time. All guests were in high spirits with great conversations while two gentleman played classic Balkan music with their acoustic guitars in the background. The service from the staff was also great and we had received our beverages and food without a long wait. Altogether, this restaurant was outstanding and I will definitely be visiting it again when in the area!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- kafanaMaya27Dined on 12/31/2013it is a great place, with great authentic food. This is like you are in Belgrade, in a way too authentic - in terms of service being not so smiley (like in Belgrade, old times:) everything made here is just great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Balkan Hospitality in ManhattanCharbDined on 12/13/2013Kafana serves traditional Serbian dishes and has a good selection of Balkan wines. The sarma, lamb and spinach stew and mixed grill were all delicious. Service is very friendly and efficient. The vibe is lively and fun, with every table filled. I recommend Kafana to anyone looking for tasty, hearty food in a fun, relaxed atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bellow New York standards !tixyDined on 12/13/2013I have been at Kafana many times and each times I am unhappy with the service. Silly me I was giving them benefit of the doubt. This time as dessert came out they dropped the check and actually rudely asked me to hurry up with paying and leaving! Need I say more? I will NEVER go back!
- Serbian foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 12/13/2013Interesting wine and food, a different set of recipes and well chosen wine list. Small, good ambience in Alphabet land.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic as usualDeetsDined on 12/12/2013Love this place. Authentic food. Great atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food great ambientNickNDined on 12/6/2013I really love the southeast european touch with all the tasty and fruity wines, the meat is a must try. Not expensive , and loved their deserts...Palacinke nice!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really good food and cozy placeGuestDined on 11/29/2013The food is very good, autentic and the portions are huge. My first try on serbian food and I really liked it. (and my serbian company felt as home) The restaurant is cozy and has a friendly atmosphere. We also tried serbian wine wich was fun to try. I strongly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ethnic GemWaltDined on 11/14/2013A wonderful find in the east village. Having grown up as a American "Yugoslavian", it's been difficult throughout my extensive travels to find quality ethnic restaurants from my heritage. Very friendly, jovial atmosphere, and great food. I recommend everyone experience what the restaurant has to offer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.