9240 Culver Blvd.
Culver City, CA 90232Neighborhood:
SushiPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.k-zo.com/
- Phone: 3102028890
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday 11:45am - 2:30pm / Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm, Friday & Saturday 5:30pm - 11:00pm Sunday 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Japanese
- Executive Chef: Keizo Ishiba
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: K-ZO offers catering for private party & special event. Depends on your needs, they will cater the food or provide chefs to cook on the site.
- Private Party Facilities: There is one private table available for the party of 4 to 7 people.
- Private Party Contact: Vicky Yamamoto 3102028890
A word from K-ZO
Owner/Chef, Keizo Ishiba, is classically trained in both Japanese and French cuisine, Keizo has been honing his skills for over thirty years. From his training in Osaka to his acclaimed work in Kyoto, Hawaii, and Los Angeles, Keizo's creativity and innovation bring a fresh interpretation to classical cooking styles. His award-winning sushi is at the heart of his technique, but his repertoire extends into a full range of small plate selections, allowing him to create a unique and varied dining experience. Restaurant K-ZO is Keizo's premier venture as chef-owner and presents a true expression of his culinary vision. His knowledge of European cuisine fused with his traditional Japanese roots exalts passion straight from the kitchen to the table.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
K-ZO reviews from OpenTable diners
56 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (31)fit for foodies (29)great for lunch (18)special occasion (14)romantic (12)good for groups (11)late-night find (6)hot spot (6)great for brunch (4)vibrant bar scene (4)great for outdoor dining (3)kid-friendly (2)notable wine list (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Still a favoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014K-Zo is a great Japanese small-plate restaurant. My girlfriend and I love it for both the sushi as well as the outstanding warm plates like the suzuki (seabass glazed in a delicious sauce) and the ribeye sukiyaki. You will likely want to order two or three plates or rolls each. If you like beer or sake, there are tons of options. Unfortunately if you're more into wine or non-sake-based mixed drinks, you might have a harder time.Special Features:
- My favorite place.pricie88Dined on 8/29/2014This place is never dissapointing. Crunchy sushi (shrimp tempura). The Garlic/Mushroom/Scallops is to die for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- K-Zo amazingRubySlippersDined on 8/29/2014Great food. Great service. Great atmosphere. Convenient parking location as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- with travel friendsSandyjkVIPDined on 8/29/2014We all enjoyed the Don Buri choices and the presentation of the meal. It was quiet at noon and very energetic by 12:30pm. We were seated as requested in a quiet booth.Special Features:
- Good food, nice staffAllynDined on 8/26/2014Lunch is a better value than dinner, but both are really good, standard Japanese fare but done and presented well. The wine special(s) are often tasty and good value.Special Features:
- Delicious FoodjustoKVIPDined on 8/23/2014Pricey but delicious! I'm very particular when it comes to dining in a Japanese Sushi Restaurant. Even though the small bites were pricey, it was totally worth it! The attention to flavor and unique ingredients, makes this restaurant worth going back! We tried many small bites and shared the meals. We even ordered more! The Hot Genmai Tea was delicious too!Special Features:
- Another Amazing MealGreatVIPDined on 8/21/2014This is definitely not my 1st visit to K-Zo. I took a co worker who also is a super taster and she was very pleased. Always fresh and vibrant flavors with reliable consistency.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall decent expierencegdwilliams11Dined on 8/16/2014Food was good but I've had better sushi from other places. Ambiance is really cool and staff was very responsive. Overall, the mrs. and I had a good time but the food experience kind of detracted from the overall experience. Again, the food wasn't bad by any means...just nothing to write home about.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, expected more ambianceMarcoDined on 8/15/2014The food was great, but I was really expecting more ambiance and decor. If not for the food, I would have given this a lower rating. All our sushi was fresh and delicious. I think for a first date though, I would have opted for a place that was a little better decorated. I felt like it just a looked a little low budget. Third or fourth date place for sure.Special Features:
- Mediocre + OverpricedJF90036VIPDined on 8/5/2014My girlfriend and I are regulars at many of the better sushi restaurants in town. After reading OpenTable reviews, we were excited to try this highly rated restaurant. Unfortunately, nothing lived up to expectations. Not only was the quality of fish sub-par, it was actually rubbery. I can't remember the last time I had sashimi that required 60 seconds to chew before swallowing. After paying $175 for two people, my girlfriend and I went for a second meal at one of our regular spots.
- Great Sushi PlaceOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/27/2014This will be on my list of good sushi restaurants. It's a little more pricey however the food quality and taste makes up for it. We actually dined here for DineLA and they had a very great deal. The sushi I had was very fresh and sweet and the appetizer was unique in presentation and flavors. And also the dessert- purple parfait was amazing - nothing like I have tasted before. The service was spectacular and I was very pleased with our friendly and helpful waitress. The restaurant was pretty small so make sure to make reservations on weekends. They have a very small outside patio seating - really literally have like only two-three tables and the inside capacity is about 40 at most. Overall I am coming back for more yummy sushi soon!Special Features:
- avoid this place during dineLAlittleorphannieDined on 7/26/2014I'm a regular at K-ZO. I was surprised that the quality of the fish, and foods was sub par. My fish was warm. Flavors were, ehh. Was beyond disappointed. I felt not enough attention was given because it was dineLA. Coming here for lunch and dinner, on multiple occasions, the food has been consistent. I hope K-ZO can step up their game for the next dineLA.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great sushi, small portionsilovelucy9Dined on 7/24/2014The sushi is great, portions are very small. The 2 of us spent over $150 on sushi and still left hungry. Best reserved for special occasions or light meals.Special Features:
- Superb Japanese dining experiencezilchikDined on 7/24/2014Wonderful, fresh sashimi and crisp tempura. The DineLA menu was an excellent value.Special Features:
- FreshEnjoydiningoutDined on 7/22/2014Nice, fresh sushi. Wish they had some discounted kids' options/meals. Very expensive family dinner compared with other sushi restaurants.Special Features:
- Below Average Sake PairingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/18/2014We tried DineLA Dinner and Sake Pairing. $25 sake pairing was really disappointed with 2 small glasses of average grade sake and green tea. We'd like a credit back!
- Fresh n Freshla99VIPDined on 7/16/2014My first stop of the Summer 2014 DineLA Restaurant Week. The serve staff was prompt but not necessarily friendly maybe because of the huge lunch crowd. I will have to go again to find out. I ordered a White Fish Yuzu and a Chirashi from the special DineLA menu while my sister had a crab avocado tower and sushi assortment. All the ingredients are super fresh and the seasoning was subtle but not dull the way we like. Overall, the value of the food met the $25 spent per person.Special Features:
- The best sushiShushimDined on 6/3/2014Each time I go to K-Zoning am astounded by how very good each item I order tastes. My grandson put it best when he told me the fish tastes so fresh he was sure it was swimming minutes before. The creative rolls and specialty dishes are so beautiful, you want to take a picture before you eat them.Special Features:
- JackVIPDined on 5/29/2014Always many inventive specials. Very friendly and attentive chefs and staff. Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always goodbrandy2Dined on 5/20/2014K-Zo is the place I go to when I want fresh, well prepared and beautifully presented sushi. The range of offerings is something I appreciate, from esoteric sushi to more ordinary fare, especially for the non sushi lover. The service is always professional and the staff, pleasant. The only drawback for me is the noise level which can be overbearingly loud. It's difficult to hear oneself ( or a dining partner) talk once the restaurant begins to fill up.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 518 reviews are from the K-ZO reviews archive.
- Best in the WESTpricie88Dined on 5/10/2014This is truly the best Japanese food I have ever eaten (I used to live in Tokyo). People are great and very friendly. But the food.. Amazing I loved every dish.. #1 for me is the Scallops Baked with Garlic butter and mushrooms. The Tempura Shrimp is so light - Delicious. Loved the freshness of the Salmon Shashimi. The Crunchy Tempura Sushi was also fab. This is NOW My number one desination.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood GemmarinaDined on 4/24/2014We have been to K-ZO before, and the food, service and ambiance is always great! very friendly waiters & staff. Very accommodating. From the outside you don't really see what's the restaurant is like. I have lived in Culver City for 20 years, and it's K-ZO is a welcome addition to the neighborhood. Go try it, and you will love it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, typical ambienceAllynDined on 4/23/2014We don't eat sushi, but the other food here is great, lunch a good value, excellent saki listSpecial Features:
- PREMIUMCulverCuisineDined on 4/15/2014K-ZO surprised me. I expected to find a good sushi bar-- that much I knew from previous reviews. What I did not expect to find is a sushi stop that puts unusual fish on the menu. For a foodie like me, this was a welcome bonus. I skipped all of the normal orders on this particular evening and tried fresh, Japanese sardine, barracuda, and kohada. I also treated myself to a seared piece of toro dressed in hollandaise with caviar and truffle slices. The clam miso soup was excellent as well. Some places flavor their soup with clam, some put clam meat in them, and this place put four in-shell steamers in the soup. Loved it. Everything at K-ZO is premium, but it was the specials list that really took it over the top for me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good experiencemickey12Dined on 4/15/2014My party and I only had the sushi, which was fresh and delicious! I'd definitely want to dine here again. The service was good and our server was attentive. My only complaint would be the noise level, tables are close to each other and it can get very loud at times which can make it hard to hold a conversation.
- Fabulous SushiShushimDined on 4/13/2014Each year, and as many times in between, I go to K-Zo to celebrate my birthday. I love sushi and this is such a wonderful place to go. The owner sushi chef always creates the most inventive, delicious dishes. Just sit at the bar and tell them to give you something. You wont be disappiointed.Special Features:
- Our favorite restaurant in West L.AOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/11/2014We have been dining at K-ZO since their opening. Every single time, it has been an astounding experience. Incredibly fresh ingredients, lots of creativity, classy owners/chef. You always feel welcome there. Attentive staff. We have been bringing friends with various food tastes and got a unanimous raving about this place. And the decor is absolutely exquisite, modern, artsy and classy. Ultimate gastronomic experience, not to be missed!Special Features:
- can speak English?KyongVIPDined on 4/5/2014most of sushi chef exept Mr.Zo does not understand English. It is very difficult to order very traditional Japanese food. Not for a good place foe enjoying original Japanes sushi.Special Features:
- we like k-zo very much butbiffVIPDined on 3/28/2014we like k-zo very much but have noticed on the past few visits the sushi rice tends to be dry and not as lush or perfectly prepared as before. it's too sticky and not smooth enough. the fish is always quality and the rolls very tasty.Special Features:
- Very creative dishes alongJackVIPDined on 3/26/2014Very creative dishes along with Classic Japanese offerings. Careful attention to service. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food but very loudJoJoDined on 3/22/2014As always the food is wonderful at K-Zo however on this night it seemed even louder than normal. Also the tables are so close together that it can make it a bit uncomfortable. I actually wonder if the fire marshall came in what he/she would say? These things aside I do recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not aware of Calif laws....OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/17/2014Though California law clearly allows me to take a partially consumed bottle of alcohol with me upon departure, K-Zo's "policy" is for you to leave it with them with your name and to drink the rest you come in next (???!!) They clearly want to incent you to come back. I started arguing with the waiter, but my husband said to leave it alone. So instead of leaving it, I made sure we drank the very large bottle of sake completely. Which meant that we had imbibed more than we intended during lunch. What a stupid policy!! They really should be more aware of the law and its allowances.Special Features:
- Glad we wentKazuDined on 3/15/2014It was my birthday celebration before going off to a stage production. Although the menu consisted of small plates, several of the dishes I got (5) were not so small. I liked the food presentations. My husband had the $68 pre-fixe menu and LOVED it. Some of the courses were unique and I know he would have never ordered them if he had to make individual selections but he ate everything. He especially LOVED the beef entrée and sushi plate. The only thing I thought didn't seem appropriate for the pre-fixe was serving flan for dessert. I wished it was a little bit more Japanese than serving a Mexican dessert. Fortunately, we were seated by the window (didn't request it) as I noticed some of the tables were too close together. Glad we went!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vacuum cleaner?ninkabinkVIPDined on 3/11/2014The food was average on this last visit to K-Zo. Appetizers and sushi rolls were OK. The salmon sushi was disappointing. What really bothered me was a constant racket (sounded like a vacuum cleaner?) coming from the kitchen, which is separated from the dining room by a thin curtain. The entire meal reverberated with this loud, upsetting noise. The staff didn't acknowledge it or apologize for it. I was so distressed that I couldn't carry on pleasant conversation with my husband. Even though I was still hungry, we decided to pay the check and leave. My husband and I both agreed that will be our last visit to K-Zo. There is nothing special enough to entice our return.
- First time won't be the last time!PmcleansVIPDined on 3/8/2014Sat at the sushi bar and ate well, efficient service and chef provided a wonderful show of how detailed and beautiful good sushi presentation should be. Tried a few kitchen dishes and was impressed with the quality.Special Features:
- Delicious!bizandfunVIPDined on 3/6/2014My ribeye was tasty! Companion's bento box was decent. Decor is clean and modern, tables a little too close together--don't discuss your new business idea at lunch if you want it to remain private. I'd go again though. A good meet-up place, especially as a first place for people who don't know each other.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Many interesting special dishes.JackVIPDined on 3/2/2014Many interesting special dishes. Attentive service. Thank you.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sushi FusionPanioloPeteDined on 2/26/2014What a joy to find a really good sushi restaurant on the westside without the exorbitant price tag of a celebrity sushi chef's bar. K-Zo also has a really nice selection of asian inspired small plates, both hot and cold. They have a wonderful saki selection and pairings for getting to know the different styles and flavors. Definitely worth the drive through downtown Culver City traffic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food;skip the special sauce!susanDined on 2/16/2014Enjoyed the freshness and the size of the sashimi. The only dislike was the special sauce on the scallop roll; "too much going on" w/the flavors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- K-Zo is consistently excellent.JackVIPDined on 2/12/2014K-Zo is consistently excellent. Extensive variety of seasonal specialties. Superb service. Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.