K & L Bistro
119 S. Main St.
Sebastopol, CA 95472Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
K & L Bistro
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://klbistro.com/
- Phone: 7078236614
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Saturday: 11:30am - 2:30pm;
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Californian, French
- Executive Chef: Karen & Lucas Martin
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Buyouts of the restaurant are available Monday - Thursday on a limited basis. Please enquire directly with the restaurant.
- Entertainment: Open Kitchen
A word from K & L Bistro
Located on Main street in downtown Sebastopol, K&L Bistro offers fine food in a casual atmosphere. Enjoy seasonal menu items such as house made crab cakes, fresh oysters, and house made charcuterie while dining in an inviting dining room with exposed brick wall and original artwork. Guests are also welcome to enjoy a glass of wine at our granite wine bar. Zagat says K&L Bistro brings "a touch of France to Sebastopol"Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
K & L Bistro - Best Restaurants in Sebastopol ›
K & L Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
83 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (59)neighborhood gem (51)special occasion (48)notable wine list (29)great for lunch (26)romantic (24)vibrant bar scene (22)great for brunch (16)good for groups (13)hot spot (13)great for outdoor dining (4)late-night find (3)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- Too loud;food remains unexcitingTerrorVIPDined on 10/25/2014Restaurant remains too loud. Bar is deafening. When calling to confirm reservation, hostess could not even hear me on phone. Menu remains uninteresting. Nothing "grabs me" as a "must go back for that" item. What happened to that delicious brined pork chop? New waitress (to us) was great!
- Almost but not quiteYYUR4meDined on 10/23/2014Service is friendly. Food is good. I love bistros and seek them out, particularly in NYC where I go frequently. K&L is not a traditional French bistro. It has a Sonoma County feel (fresh, creative). K&L is an above-average restaurant with an interesting menu that pleases. The expanded dining room is no longer the intimate space with the energy of packed tables it used to have. One can hardly blame owners for wanting to expand but the new space is a bit too large, quiet and subdued for me. The service had a few, small cracks in the details but was otherwise good. It is difficult for a small-town suburban restaurant to create the energy of a bustling city bistro. It is still a good experience but...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely eveningGeniDined on 10/11/2014K&L Always a favorite - pricing makes it for special occasions - but always good. The beet/Baretta app was wonderful - a must try Rib Eye always the best but serving was almost too big Highly recommend and never disappointedSpecial Features:
- K&L Wedding GiftMadBeretDined on 10/11/2014It was our first visit to K&L. The service was very good & attentive without being overbearing. The cocktails were fun, different and well balanced. However, I'm glad we dined on a gift certificate. We spent almost the entire $100 on 2 drinks and 4 appetizers for 2 people. The taste of the dishes could not stand up to their presentation, concept, and descriptions. We shared grilled sardines, tuna tartar, charcuterie, and a county line baby greens salad which all tasted flat with very little flavor or seasoning. None of the food excited my palate. The tuna tartar presented well, but it could not hold it's own without the sriracha sauce. Other peoples' dishes looked very enticing, so I would go back again and try other dishes.Special Features:
- Fabulous experiencegualalaDined on 10/8/2014Our waiter knew the menu and provided attentive, but not hovering service. Food was superbly prepared. We split goat cheese, persimmon and arugula salad and my husband had sole meunière and I had rib eye steak both with crispy delicious fries, all fabulous. On a precious visit I ordered the short ribs (daily special) that were the best I have ever eaten. We had not been there since the remodel was completed (enlarging the dining room) and the addition was seamless to the original space and the dining room is comfortable and pleasant. Even easier to watch the chef cooking now and although dining room was fairly full it did not feel "packed". Its pricey for Sebastopol but frankly worth every penny. Looking forward to returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 10/7/2014Ribeye steak was supposed to come with bearnaise sauce, but instead had a dollop of cold blue cheese/butter on it. No at all what was described on the menu. It was also too salty. The sauteed spinach was inedible. Too much vinegar and overly tart. Fries are good, but that seemed to be the best thing going for them. Too expensive for what you get. Table was placed too close to a service table and I had to squeeze into my chair and remain that way throughout the dinner.
- Great food, too loudsebastopolgourmetDined on 9/26/2014The food was terrific and the service excellent. It's expensive, but worth it for special occasions. It's quite loud, however; not the place to go for quiet conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful place for lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/23/2014Lunch was amazing - ahi tuna appetizer, heirloom tomato salad. Perfection!Special Features:
- TerribleSvansboDined on 9/19/2014This was one of the worst meals I have ever had. It was our 12th anniversary and was a disaster. Service was slow and the waiter forgot our appetizer order. Brought a glass of wine with debris in it; re-served same glass; third one was ok. Entree was burnt - not overdone, but literally burnt. Didn't send it back because I was worn out by wine fiasco. Memorably bad. Won't be back. I don't like being so critical; I enjoy most meals out, but this was really bad.
- PatcpatcDined on 9/19/2014A wonderful restaurant both for food and service. The staff went out of their way to make our anniversary special!Special Features:
- Back in the grooveZiggDined on 9/11/2014After the expansion, things went off track. Happily, all is back. Great french/Mediterranean cuisine, excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Service, Above Average FoodrabmanDined on 9/4/2014Our first post restaurant expansion visit. Like others, we miss the intimacy of the old place. The larger K&L is noisy at dinner time. Our service was absolutely excellent! We were there for a special occasion, but also with our 8 and 6 year olds with us. Our waiter went out of his way to get them food early and to interact with them. The meal was excellent. Crab salad with gravenstein apples was a Sebastopol seasonal treat and a perfect combination of flavors. Crab cakes were delicious, even though this is not peak crab season. French fries were as good as always. The dessert menu was more limited than we remember, and there were no fresh fruit offerings despite this being the end of summer. We are glad to have K&L back open.Special Features:
- FabulousOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014Loved it. I hadn't been there for quite a few years and was so happy to see they have expanded and the food is exceptional. Service attentive but not pushy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Flavor misfire.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/30/2014Before remodel we were satisfied with our dining experience at the restaurant. Dined there last Saturday. Ordered oysters.( they were good). Ordered calamari starter. (bland /no flavor). For dinner ordered crab cake dinner (OK), duck confit (too salty), chicken dinner (bland). Ordered cappuccino (too sour). Not a satisfying experience. Can't recommend to a friend based on our experience.
- A Gem in SebastopoltessaDined on 8/29/2014What a lovely surprise in this vibrant country town. Great food and wine, service was wonderful, recommendations were thoughtful. Tables were just a bit close together for any semblance of privacy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- off nightOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/28/2014We have been to K&L many times all with good results. Tonite was an off night. 2 of the 4 entrees were bland at best. Hope it was an aberration - planning on returning soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedTomatoVIPDined on 8/27/2014My wife and I have been customers of K&L for many years and usually find the food and service excellent. Well, we visited the restaurant on a Wednesday night and the only satisfactory item was the salad of fresh greens with goat cheese. Our usual order of Mac and Cheese was practically tasteless. Even extra pepper and salt didn't help. Our entree of sole was equally bland and so tasteless that after asking for and applying some lemons it was still almost inedible. We didn't finish it. Our server, who did as good a job as she could, waived the corkage fee. We hope other diners did not have a similar experience as the new restaurant has been beautifully remodeled and we would like it to see it succeed.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/24/2014Excellent food. Although there are consistent menu items, there are always some seasonal twists that are a surprise. The food is always prepared and cooked exactly to the right doneness whether it be meat, fish, or seafood.Special Features:
- Cobb saladnotafoodieDined on 8/21/2014The cobb salad is the best I've ever had and the wine list is quite extensive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- would not recommendjustsayinDined on 8/16/2014Unfortunately I wouldn't recommend this place for dinner. If you just want to sit at the bar and check out a game on the nice TV's, it's a great place. The food was a 1 star rating. Fish smothered in sauce, served with fries- can't you even do some rice or greens with it?? The burger was incredibly undercooked - inedible. We dine out a lot at high end restaurants and were very disappointed in this place. When you are willing to spend a weeks worth of grocery $ on one dinner you want and expect it to be worth it.
- Great Place, Good Food and ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/14/2014Everyone in my party had a great meal and the waiter was very knowledgeable and had a great personality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our wish listSatisfiedVIPDined on 8/14/2014You used to have Skate wing on your menu. Any chance it will be there again. Is there a way you could notify me when it will be available? My husband is in love with the Lamb's tongue salad. Would like to know when you will do that as well. He had it when you first opened and a few times after that but not recently.Special Features:
- Decent Sebastopol DiningSonomaGirlDined on 8/12/2014Nice new atmosphere after their recent renovation. Cool looking bar area. Very friendly staff. Food appeared to be healthy. Appetizer tuna tartar was good but needed more seasoning/sauce. Was lacking a lot of flavor but all of the components were there. Appetizer of peppers were good.Branziono was very tasty and moist. Enjoyable rose champagne by the glass and at an afforable price point. Side dish of spinach was not memorable and over sauced. Haricot Vert side dish could have been better. Meringue dessert was quite delicious and appreciated it's uniqueness. Tables are a bit close so there isn't much privacy while dining. Overall, it's a decent choice for Sebastopol but they do have room for improvement.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Food in Warm SettingThanksforthefoodDined on 8/11/2014I enjoyed the warm and cozy feel of the new dining room, with its soft grey walls, exposed brick and natural wood. The service was impeccable. Our server Julie was attentive to our needs. The food and wine were excellent. I loved my shrimp and corn risotto with arugula. Yum! I've eaten at K&L for years, and the new decor makes it even more inviting.Special Features:
- A bit pricey but goodRustymom64VIPDined on 8/10/2014We dined here for lunch with friends. We were a bit disappointed in the lunch menu as far as lunch type items. More suited to dinner. However the items we had were all excellent. We would have like to have had more sandwich, lighter optionsSpecial Features:
- deafeningPINOTMAMAVIPDined on 8/2/2014All tables in the restaurant were filled with diners. The noise level was so high it was difficult to have a conversation with those sitting at across the table from me.Special Features:
- Local cornerstone eateryJohanDined on 8/1/2014K&L Bistro recently reopened and they haven't missed a beat! Karen and Lucas have done a spectacular job keeping their high culinary standards and extraordinary customer service at it's previous excellent levels. The new layout is really nice. It's remains our favorite place to eat and I am very happy for Karen and Lucas. The food never disappoints and my overall feeling after I leave there remains one of satisfaction and contentment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sonomadinnerVIPDined on 7/25/2014Love the new space! The bar area is open and spacious. The dining room retained the old cosy feel. The food remains top notch.Special Features:
- Post remodel, still a favoriteBibliopolVIPDined on 7/24/2014First time there since remodel. The expanded dining room and expanded bar are beautiful. Food still great. Pork chop is, I think, a new menu item. It was great. Glad one of our neighborhood favorites is back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinnerfav2localDined on 7/22/2014As always, food and service were exquisite. Renovation increased the dining area size and and made it possible to have conversation without thinking that everyone would hear -- also the overall style was extremely pleasing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- even better than beforeJHopen76Dined on 7/21/2014My husband and I come here for all out special occasions, birthdays anniversaries, to spoil guests from out of town. The food, wine, dessert, service and overall dining experience never disappoint. Karen and Lucas are friendly, hard working and exceptionally talented. We love this place and grateful it's in Sebastopol.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not great this timeolderwiserDined on 7/19/2014Had the branzino fish. Poorly filleted at table, way too many bones after that. Should have been removed to kitchen for filleting Table was not monitored for dirty dishes. Very loud. Maybe try acoustic tiles on walls and ceiling or sound absorbing art work.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still excellent.rivetcatcherDined on 7/14/2014One of the best restaurants in Sonoma County. Even though they have recently expanded, the quality of the food and service remains excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!TomatoVIPDined on 7/7/2014We are long time customers of K and L. Their new space is perfect. Wonderful food and the Mac and Cheese is superb. We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The new K&LOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/6/2014We were so happy to see that K&L still has the great food it has been known for. The remodeled dining room is very pretty and tastefully done. And the outdoor patio out front is good for cocktails and overflow. We had a great time!Special Features:
- Great experienceDonnaPDined on 7/5/2014We were a party of four. Everyone loved their food, service was outstanding. The staff is attentive, but not in an obnoxious way. The noise level and ambiance is so much better than in their old space. We all loved the remodel and will definitely return. I am not a fish lover, but decided to try the Branzino and it was delicious. None of us ordered wine, so I can't comment on the wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Main dish sub-standardmarigoldDined on 7/5/2014Mussels & French Potatoes: both items near-cold; potatoes not crisp; sauce for mussels without flavor. I've eaten here before but won't return. Main dish prep was sloppy, including too many unopened mussels. Sorry to report this. Definitely not a high-end restaurant meal.Special Features:
- The following 764 reviews are from the K & L Bistro reviews archive.
- Yummy food!!!GerrieADined on 6/28/2014We were pleasantly surprised when we walked into your restaurant to see the lovely remodel....and also very pleased with the service and delicious food we were served. We want to thank our server...who was pleasant and attentive...and also all the servers who kept our water glasses full and took away our plates when we were finished. My husband loved his porkchop and I enjoyed the chicken piccata and my son loved his appetizers...Tuna tartare... All in all a great experience...and a nice place to enjoy our son's birthday dinner. Thank you....we'll definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great remodelwellspolyproVIPDined on 6/27/2014My wife and I have been going to K&L for at least 15 years, it's always been one of our favorites. The remodel is fantastic, really opened up seating and the bar, much better ambiance. The food this visit was not up to the standard we were used to. I had the mussels and at least 6 of them were unopened which means that they were not alive. How did the kitchen let this happen? Are the chefs not checking them? My wife had the crab cakes and while good, were not great. We both hope that food gets back to what it was before the remodel.Special Features:
- Was there a chef in the kitchen?CafoodieVIPDined on 6/26/2014The squash soup was tasteless and watery.Fried soft shell crab came to us cold.The mushroom pasta with cream of corn sauce was lack of cream sauce, making the pasta and tasteless.What a big disappointment!