JW's Steakhouse - Griffin Gate Marriott Resort
1800 Newtown Pike
Lexington, KY 40511Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $31 to $50
JW's Steakhouse - Griffin Gate Marriott Resort
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.griffingatemarriott.com/dining
- Phone: 8592886155x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Sharon Caudill
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Private dining room available for up to 12 people.
- Private Party Contact: Lee Hendrickson 8592315100x
A word from JW's Steakhouse - Griffin Gate Marriott Resort
JW’s Steakhouse at the Griffin Gate Marriott Resort and Spa in Lexington KY serves a wide variety of USDA Prime steaks, fresh seafood, signature side dishes and homemade desserts. All this while you enjoy our warm, inviting atmosphere of genuine southern hospitality. So whether you are planning something special or just looking for an excuse to have an exceptional steak, JW’s is the perfect place to spend an evening. Dinner is served nightly from 5 to 10pm, reservations are recommended.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
JW's Steakhouse - Griffin Gate Marriott Resort reviews from OpenTable diners
9 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (4)romantic (2)good for groups (2)neighborhood gem (1)notable wine list (1)great for lunch (1)fit for foodies (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- OutstandingDandyVIPDined on 10/4/2014Ron our waiter was phenomenal and attentive. The food was perfect! Drinks enjoyable. Well worth the price! Thank you! We will be back on our next trip to Lexington!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great hotel dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/5/2014Service was excellent and very friendly. Food was very good with generous portions. Somewhat on the expensive side but quality was worth it. Get a table away from the bar area for a nice atmosphere. Ambiance was a little too hotel like.
- SBlaverneDined on 8/23/2014Limited entrée selection. Prepared well with flavor w/o being over seasoned. Entrée came with a starch but vegetables was an added cost which should come with the plate at the prices charged. Salad an extra cost also, which is fine since not everyone wants a salad or soup usually offered at non-hotel restaurants. Décor nice and tasteful. Sourdough bread very good. Wait staff friendly and attentive w/o being overly intrusive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing FoodLuvwineDined on 8/2/2014Can't say enough. Steaks melted in your mouth, had the Lexington Lemonade drink, very good, dessert wonderful, and wait staff very nice.Special Features:
- Pleasantly surprised!Never2disappointDined on 7/19/2014Dinner was delicious. Had a filet and pork chop. Both were cooked to perfection. Delicious was a buttery caramel cake that melted in your mouth. We will definetely be back! Service was excellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 56 reviews are from the JW's Steakhouse - Griffin Gate Marriott Resort reviews archive.
- Great dining experienceMayorDined on 5/26/2014We enjoyed dining at JW's. The food was great but decor could be improved and the restaurant made a bit more secluded with a more quiet atmosphere to enhance the experience.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not bad just averageHappyDined on 4/27/2014Limited menu of average quality and high prices. Wait staff was slow. Bread arrived with dinner as did the appetizer
- great for business dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/17/2014excellent food and service...ideal for entertaining clientsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This restaurant is way, wayPickyeaterVIPDined on 3/7/2014This restaurant is way, way overpriced for what it delivers. The menu is limited, very uncreative entree selection. The New York strip was tasty--but otherwise, the food was passable, Definitely NOT worth the high price tag. The atmosphere is depressing with unappealing decor. More like a breakfast eating area at an inexpensive inn off the highway;). service was excellent, however...the hostess and wait staff can't do enough for you...very professional--they should be working in a far more upscale restaurant! Undergoing renovation at this time as well--which didn't help...should be completed by mid April.
- Quality ingredientsScottDined on 2/14/2014The quality of the ingredients and the skill of the chefs make the food very tasty.Special Features:
- OK PLACELoveFineDiningDined on 1/18/2014My only complaint is that it is more of a bar atmosphere than upscale Steak restaurant. I feel there should be definite separation from the bar by relocating the restaurant or complete wall definition. Big screen TV's bar as part of the restaurant and noise from a championship football game did not create the ambience we had desired. If this is going to be a sports bar then cut the prices in half. No white tablecloths were used which I would have expected even though construction was going on....maybe that will be the renovation. Our food was absolute perfection and our service from Anne Marie could not have been better. She was quite busy, however managed everything with complete gratitude and grace!!!! I would request her again!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food. Outstanding serviceLP15Dined on 12/18/2013We were celebrating a special occasion that began at JW's several years ago. Our service was outstanding! Our waitress was very attentive and friendly. Our food was done perfectly, from appetizer to the main course. We had to take dessert to go, but it was as as delicious as everything else.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hoosier mamaBrantfordDined on 10/17/2013My husband and I generally do not go to steakhouses which is what JW 's is. However, it was the only restaurant at the Griffin Gate Marriott Hotel and we did not feel like going out after a long day of driving. So, we were pleasantly surprised to find that is was an upscale steakhouse and did an excellent job with our our filet mignon and sides. We only had one dinner there, though, so I have no idea how the nonsteak items were.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not What I ExpectedCubsFanDined on 10/7/2013I took a small business group to this restaurant for a dinner, thinking that with the name and its location in the Griffin Gate resort, it would be a very nice restaurant. However, I was underwhelmed with the decor. Uncovered tables that had seen their best days and a generally dull ambience was what we found. The food was good, not great. Our waitress was friendly and capable. I will not return.Special Features:
- after keenelandlosingstreaksDined on 10/5/2013on lexington's north side the J.W. is in the marriot. the food was well prepared. portions were generous. the house chardonnay was good.Special Features:
- Not worth the money!SCGirlDined on 10/5/2013Overpriced for the food quality. Service was marginal. We won't go back.
- Gourmet GroupEuroFoodieDined on 8/19/2013We were fortunate enough to have the Private Dining Room which has a minimum spend of $300.00, that was never going to be a problem! The service and food was great, there was no feeling of being rushed and the food came out in a timely manner. I felt the crab macaroni with the surf and turf could have had more crab but apart form that the evening was a huge success.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food!Steak4meVIPDined on 6/8/2013Everything was super. Food was great. Service was wonderful. They did my request for a boothSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything was outstanding,OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/20/2013Everything was outstanding, I thought it would be more of an intimate atmosphere. Online it said shirt and slacks where the required dress code, but some gentleman and ladies had on jeans and even athletic shorts.Special Features:
- Good food, poor experience.AntonymousDined on 2/16/2013Not sure if the waiter was the only one but our service time was very poor. Had to wait forever for water and for the check. Planned on getting dessert but because it took so long we declined. For the price tag, I expected much better service.Special Features:
- Never AgainOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/16/2013I have had a lot better for a lot less. The dinner we had would have been $80.00 at a nice place with excellant quality. Our meal at JW's was $145.00 and I could have done better at home.
- Everything was delicious-fromOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/10/2012Everything was delicious-from the Adian flatbread to the perfectly cooked filet. Our server as attentive and great!Special Features:
- overpriced for the food....needOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/29/2012overpriced for the food....need updating interior and exterior of hotel/resistant.
- This was a once very proudFoodieVIPDined on 7/25/2012This was a once very proud restaurant in a former top end Marriott Hotel. AAA gives 3 stars which I think is a joke.Marriott truly needs to look at the product they sell. I recently had better cut of meat & baked potato at a Longhorn Steak House for less then 2/3 the JW price. JW Steakhouse needs some major cleaning also. Staff trys but product is lacking.Special Features:
- We went to JW's for our anniversaryOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/23/2012We went to JW's for our anniversary. The food was excellent. We had the barbequed shrimp appetizer that was wonderful. We could have had that for a meal. The lobster bisque and french onion soups were wonderful. Our entrees were huge! After appetizers and soup, we had to take a large portion of our dinner to go. We will definitely dine there again.Special Features:
- Just like home steaks.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/18/2012We had the cowboy rib eye steak, it was the best I've had since I left Texas, thank you for the reminder of home.Special Features:
- My business guest and I bothOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/14/2012My business guest and I both took the advice of our server on food choice. I had the Salmon and he had the Filet. Both great. Great wine list...service was over the top. Next time I am in Lexington I will be back. The butter cake to finish things off was just wonderful!
- Kathy77OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/12/2012Our server was exceptional. The food was wonderful. The overall appearance was a little lacking in originality but the food and service made up for it.Special Features:
- This is the second time I'veOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/6/2012This is the second time I've eaten in this particular restaurant and on neither occasion did I find the meal worth the price. There are many better steakhouses in the area.
- Have The Butter CakeCtwoDined on 2/18/2012Food was excellent but the butter cake was to die for good.Special Features:
- Welcome surpriseMSP1Dined on 1/7/2012Surprisingly good food in a chain hotel. The menu provided choices, the preparations were very attractuive, and the food itself was really outstanding.
- waitress was very personableOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/31/2011waitress was very personable however service wasnt good were already on entrees before bread arrived and had already asked for a water refill twice the $5 potato was burnt and was no bigger than one you would get in a five pound bag at krogers wife did enjoy her salmon and asparagus however waitress said they were shorthanded in the kitchen but it seems to me that should never happen on news years eve and particularly in a restaurant in this price range the bar where we had a drink before dinner was enjoyable
- The filet and the strip wereOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 12/25/2011The filet and the strip were excellent. Tender and flavorful! One of the most crab filled crab cake I've ever had. Very little breading, very good. The wedge and the harvest salads were very large, could share one, and also tasty. First visit, we will go back.Special Features:
- My fiance and I first wentOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/22/2011My fiance and I first went to JW's about 6mo ago and enjoyed their food so much we made the executive decision that the family Christmas dinner would be there this year. Since this is definitely a special occasion place for us since it is kinda pricey it still lived up to our expectations. The crab cake is the BEST we ever had. We shared on the first time we came but the second time everyone had their own. We also really enjoyed the harvest salad with blue cheese vinaigrette. And the blue cheese crumble on the prime rib is just spectacular!! I'm surprised more people are not aware of the great food here. We will be back about every 6mo lolSpecial Features:
- All around excellent experience.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/23/2011All around excellent experience. Only improvement I observed was during my breakfast meal. Would have given the waitress Wenda a $10.00 tip if she would have offered to refill my orange juice. Once I had told her I was receiving a complimentary breakfast as instructed by the hostess to inform her of I never really saw her again except for the bill. Outside of that JW's really made our experience special.Special Features:
- We had a great meal. TheOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/20/2011We had a great meal. The fish of the day was fresh with some creative flavor combinations. The pork chop with apricot chutney was very good as well, and the desserts - amazing! I had key lime pie and my friend had the butter cake. They were both wonderful.Special Features:
- My husband and I chose thisOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/1/2011My husband and I chose this restaurant for the first time after a friend gave us, for our anniversary, a $25 coupon for the restaurant. I'm glad we had that to use as, otherwise, the expense would have been overkill for both the food and experience. The food was tasty but not spectacular. My husband's steak was not cooked to order and the baked potatoes tasted as though they had been sitting for awhile. The ambiance was pleasant but, again, not spectacular. I would not dissuade someone from trying this but would warn it is overpriced for the overall experience.Special Features:
- Way too expensive for theBaianaDined on 5/7/2011Way too expensive for the quality of the food. Neither my steak nor my husband's steak came cooked the way we ordered. I felt I paid too much for what I got.
- Very disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/2/2011I was not very impressed with the food. Go to Jeff Ruby's instead if you want the food quality to match the price. The steak was not the quality meat that I paid for.
- Food was good, service wasOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/14/2011Food was good, service was ok, need some kind of entertainment.