JW's Public House
41 Glen Head Road
Glen Head, NY 11545Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
JW's Public House
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.jwspublichouse.com/
- Phone: 5162009090x
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday 4:00pm - 9:00pm - Thursday and Friday 4:00pm - 10:00pm Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Steakhouse, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Steve Demetriou
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Private dining room available for parties up to 50 guests. Buffet and special menu requests are available.
- Private Party Contact: Bill 5162009090x
A word from JW's Public House
Welcome to JW's Public House, a Glen Head eatery and bar showcasing Seafood, Steaks and Spirits. Indulge in fresh cuts of fish and steak - starring local oysters, clams and steamers from Oyster Bay Harbor. If you are looking for steaks come try our featured strip steak "Mignon" style or our 48 hour marinated Cajun Ribeye. We will also have weekly specials designed to highlight the seasons. Price fix menu available Sunday through Thursday before 6PM and Gluten Free menu is available. Try our large selection of special Martini's, high end Bourbons and eclectic wines and beers to satisfy all palates. Open Tuesday - Sunday for dinner and our outdoor patio and bar will be open seasonally and weather permitting.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
JW's Public House reviews from OpenTable diners
51 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (32)neighborhood gem (26)fit for foodies (15)special occasion (15)good for groups (10)kid-friendly (9)late-night find (6)romantic (6)great for lunch (4)notable wine list (4)vibrant bar scene (4)hot spot (3)great for brunch (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Good for a real treatStevieVIPDined on 9/20/2014Was happy to report that the place was very clean and real neat. A gem of a place in a small town located in Long Island. The food was better than I expected. The place wasn't very busy and hope they can stay in business. The location isn't in a busy area for fine dinning. The selections were good and the prices was fair. I would go back in the near future. I wish them well.Special Features:
- Loved it!AlwaysSmilingDined on 9/16/2014I came here for an event with psychic medium Mary Drew, so with a prix fixe menu, I can't comment much on the entire menu selection, but at a table of 10 we all thought the food was delicious (I had the braised beef). Service was tentative, there was 1 waiter & 2 bus-staff for an entire room, so with that I feel they did a good job. Staff was very friendly, I loved how so many people walked in & it was like they were home, hugging the greeter, chatting with the bartender, etc. Really a comfortable, neighborhood kind of place. Lovely, rustic decor. Though we live a bit far to frequent, we do intend to visit again; with another couple - my boyfriend was in love with the Oyster Bay Pumpkin Ale on tap, served with a caramel rim!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Seems to be declining...RobbyleeVIPDined on 9/16/2014We've eaten hear several times in the past & always gave rave reviews. This past Tues. wasn't a good experience. They had an event in the pvt rm but other side wasn't full. Svc as always, good. Food was spotty. Crab cake app very good. Baked clams were dry & very unappealing. Wound up squeezing 6 ¼ wedges of lemon (that's 1-½ whole lemons) onto the serving! Entrees included Red Snapper special-inadequate serving. Husband left hungry. According to my husband was nothing special. The Ahi Tuna, usually a fave of mine was mediocre + the asparagus side was so overcooked it was truly disgusting. The waiter offered to bring grilled but, I'd like meal all together & at the same time as others @ table. A shame-they were good in the past.
- weirdOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/29/2014The food was quite good. the service was weird. We were the only table dining and our waiter was often nowhere to be found. We sat and waited to order, waited indefinitely for the ketchup and replacement silverware. Bread was served 10-15 minutes late. W were the only table on a Friday night at dinner time. Makes you wonder...
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014Even though we made a reservation we were seated in back of the bar. There was a very loud noise level. The food was good but not hot. The hostess was unfriendly. We won't go back.Special Features:
- disappointedDined on 8/16/2014made a reservation in advance when we arrived told that our table was still occupied - though there was an empty table in the main outside area they put us down an alley far removed from the main outside eating area. Service was terrible - we had to go look for the waiter. 2 of the dishes - fish and chips were way too salty. We brought guest here because we had been to the restaurant before - this experience was totally disappointing.Special Features:
- Great experience!bigeyesVIPDined on 8/15/2014The food was really good. I ordered the Branzino which was done perfectly. My husband had the pasta with seafood. His portion could have been larger, but it was very tasty.Special Features:
- ExcellentPuckstopperDined on 8/14/2014The food was great as well as the service. Ate outside and the guitar player/singer was excellent. Would definitely go back.Special Features:
- geneseogirlDined on 8/14/2014The seafood was very fresh and tasty. And we loved the music they played.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeAnonymousDined on 8/9/2014This was our first time here, we really liked sitting outside with the live music. It was a nice night and the place had a great vibe. The food was good, no complaints, everything was tasty, and nice portion sizes. The JW margarita was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great time!CutekatDined on 8/5/2014Our waiter was superb with extensive knowledge and enthusiasm about the menu. He had great recommendations. The food was excellent. One of the best meals I have had in a while. We sat outside on a beautiful night and had a great time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but poor staff attitudeDineAroundDined on 8/2/2014This was our 2nd trip here. As the 1st experience was positive we came back with friends. The food was fine however the waiter was manipulative and the hostess/manager was rude. We were charged up-charges without our approval as well as for items we didn't order. The waiter overheard us discussing his attitude and the TIP we would leave and took it upon himself to add 20% to the check. Management said since he overheard us he added his own tip and that was OK! After another argument to remove this unapproved TIP, the restaurant ran through he charge twice, once with the TIP and once without. We asked for a copy of the VOID/refund of the charge and they wouldn't give it to us stating "we know what we are doing". Amex is now assisting us.
- one of our favoritesTonyMichaels23VIPDined on 8/1/2014Can't say enough about this restaurant. Whether you choose seafood like the combo platters or an order of ribs, you can count on it being delicious. While the wine list is not extensive, it has just the right selection of reds and whites at a range on price points.Special Features:
- Excellent At every Level991carreradriverVIPDined on 7/26/2014This was our 4th time to this eatery. Food has been outstanding at every level each time, which is why I am commenting ( I never write reviews). I am not a fish guy, but my fiancée is? Both specialties are outstanding whether it be Atlantic Char or Braised ribs. Drinks are a full pour and service is very good. We have only been on Saturday evenings, which stretch most establishments. If you prefer a quieter environment sit inside in the small dining area on the way to the outside seating area. A real plus is the outdoor bar and seating. This has become one of our two favorite spots on the north shore.Special Features:
- luv2eatDined on 7/26/2014The service and food were outstanding. Additionally, the music was wonderful. Great evening!Special Features:
- Casual feel great outdoor diningEnjoyFoodDined on 7/25/2014Great place to meet friends for lunch or dinner. Sit at high top by bar, in dining room or outdoors. Varied menu and great gluten free options. Many appetizers to share, casual bites or delicious entrees for one if you prefer. Fun and easy going.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood Gem!live2eatDined on 7/23/2014Very good food and service, friendly staff and ownership in a cozy atmosphere. The patio is very inviting. Another terrific dining experience in Glen Head!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CraigVIPDined on 7/20/2014JW's proves to be consistent with their food. My wife & I shared oysters & clams which were fresh cold & delicious. I had the stripped bass special which was great!!Special Features:
- Drew excellent waiterOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/20/2014I have celiac disease and he was very knowledgable on how to suggest what foods I was able to eat And was deliciousSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sit on the patio!OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/19/2014Dined inside (air conditioned!) but moved out to finish last of our bottle of wine and listen to great live music. FUN!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a good time !!funtimesDined on 7/13/2014We've been here several times both with just the family and even on ladies night out... Always a good time !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of our favoritesTonyMichaels23VIPDined on 7/11/2014Always great, seafood in particular, but you're good with anything on the menu.Special Features:
- Good & Bad Experiencefoodman13VIPDined on 6/14/2014The food and ambiance were quite good. However, the time it took for our food to be delivered was sub-par. The server was polite and kept apologizing for the inordinate delay. It seems that their kitchen is either under staffed or poorly run. Too bad, because other aspects of this bar/restaurant are quite nice.Special Features:
- Great find through open tableOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/14/2014The tuna tartar was excellent even for somebody that doesn't like raw fish. Great screaming shrimp! The house dinner specials were also very good! Extremely friendly and helpful staff! Great night out and food was amazingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 81 reviews are from the JW's Public House reviews archive.
- CraigVIPDined on 6/1/2014We sat outside & enjoyed the sunset to a great bowl of steamers & zucchini pata with seafood. Our waitress Karen was great.Special Features:
- Third Time Not a CharmnycfoodieDined on 5/31/2014We made the mistake of coming to JW's on a night where they were simply overwhelmed. My broiled sea food platter was lukewarm and had the most overcooked piece of fish in it that I have ever been served, but having waited for over an hour between appetizers and the main course, I didn't dare send it back. Other things were ok, if a little off - i.e., Sea food Cobb salads without avocado? If you are in the area, like eating outdoors and enjoy live music, then, by all means drop on by. But if you see a crowd, though, plan on spending awhile. A very long while . . .Special Features:
- walked away with a smilinghaleboyaDined on 5/30/2014Try the screaming shrimp. Amazing! We had a very nice time. Kids loved it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant Birthday SurpriseFDfoodgirlDined on 5/13/2014I took my boyfriend here to continue his birthday celebration. I found this restaurant through Groupon since we wanted to try a new food place. This place was incredible! Great food, great service, and a great experience! The calamari was perfect. The filet mignon melted in your mouth, and the crab stuffed shrimp was excellent. We loved the raspberry sorbet. I would return in a heartbeat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good FoodLIMomDined on 5/11/2014Went here for an early mother's day dinner. We ordered food off the mother's day prix fix menu as well as the regular menu. All of our dishes (crab cakes, fish and chips, skirt steak and roasted chicken) were really good. The noise level was quiet loud and unfortunately we were seated near the rest rooms, so that wasn't too ideal. Overall, good experience. Friendly service.
- fair food, poor serviceandya53Dined on 5/10/2014we were excited to try this new, seemingly higher level, pub restaurant but were severely disappointed. both appetizers and entrees for our party of four were ordinary to below. only the apple crisp for dessert was good. our dinner took over 2.5 hours and we were constantly asking for service, ie. water, where was food, etc.
- FIRST TIMERSmojoDined on 5/7/2014this was our first time dining at this restaurant and we were all very impressed with the food and service. My whole Bronzino was wonderful and probably the best I ever had!!! I would definitely return either with couples or a girls night out!!Special Features:
- We really enjoyed our nightBocaGrandeDined on 5/2/2014Food was excellent. Service was also very good. They gave us plenty if time to enjoy the courses and our conversation. I thought it was more of a steakhouse, but it is more pub like. Still very pleasant and reasonably priced.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a PleasureTonyMichaels23VIPDined on 5/1/2014Great food, wonderful atmosphere, fine service. The best restaurant for seafood in our area.Special Features:
- Delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/26/2014Nice menu in a nice atmosphere with great service.Special Features:
- Great FindPuckstopperDined on 4/26/2014Everything here was excellent. The food was great, the service was very attentive and the atmosphere was great. Will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed it.youngatheartDined on 4/26/2014I chose this restaurant through a Groupon coupon, to celebrate my birthday. My friend and I enjoyed the food and service. My rib eye steak was made to perfection, and my friend greatly enjoyed her skirt steak. We shared a calamari appetizer, that was very tender. My friend really liked her cheesecake for dessert. Would definitely recommend the place. We were there relatively early, so the noise level was not too bad.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JW's Public HouseTaco44Dined on 4/24/2014We went on a Thursday evening so it was quiet. The menu was varied and well priced. It was hard to pick one dish so we shared a number of things. Our waitress, Kathy, was terrific, making our experience even betterSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FishyBgreenVIPDined on 4/19/2014Quality of food is second rate. The focus is selling everything on the menu, but little attention is given to food preparation and presentation. Restaurant prices with fast food quality. They desperately need a Chef.
- Local GemJBIRISHDined on 4/18/2014Feeling like Tuna, or a nice rib eye? J W's has great fresh fish and a wonderful burgers If seafood is not your thing, the meats , or specials are always good. It replaced a previous fish house that has been there a long time, but Jw's has a much better dining room and great outdoor deck, weather permitting. We in Glen Head are very lucky they came to town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a great time !funtimesDined on 4/12/2014We've been here a number of times and absolutely love it . Drew is the best waiter ever ! Always very accommodating!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.