Juniper & Ivy
2228 Kettner Blvd
San Diego, CA 92101Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Juniper & Ivy
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.juniperandivy.com/
- Phone: 6192699036x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Thursday : 5pm - 10 p.m.
Friday & Saturday : 5pm - 11 p.m.
Bar/Lounge opens daily at 4 p.m.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Richard Blais
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: Acclaimed Chef, Richard Blais oversees the 7,500 square-foot restaurant, which is available for buyouts, meetings, cocktail receptions and other special events.
A word from Juniper & Ivy
JUNIPER AND IVY OFFERS "REFINED AMERICAN FOOD WITH LEFT COAST EDGE" COURTESY OF ACCLAIMED CHEF RICHARD BLAIS. PERHAPS MOST RECOGNIZABLE AS THE WINNER OF BRAVO'S "TOP CHEF ALL-STARS", BLAIS BRINGS HIS WILDLY CREATIVE APPROACH TO COOKING AND CUISINE TO SAN DIEGO; BACKED BY AN ALL-STAR CULINARY TEAM. EXCELLENT COCKTAIL AND WINE PROGRAMS PAIRED WITH AL FRESCO DINING, HIGH ENERGY DESIGN AND MORE MAKES JUNIPER AND IVY THE NEWEST DESTINATION RESTAURANT TO HIT THE WEST COAST.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Juniper & Ivy - Best Restaurants in Little Italy ›
Juniper & Ivy reviews from OpenTable diners
780 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (599)hot spot (511)special occasion (416)vibrant bar scene (344)neighborhood gem (331)good for groups (270)notable wine list (259)romantic (157)great for outdoor dining (81)late-night find (76)great for lunch (28)great for brunch (20)kid-friendly (13)scenic view (2)Show More
- Yum but...OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/17/2014Waitress had to explain almost the entire menu because the food descriptions on the menu were written for a culinary graduate. Great waitress, though. Food was delish. You had to yell to the person next to you, way too noisy for a relaxing evening. And personally, I think $141 for two people (with no wine or drinks) is a lot for a mid-week dinner out. We waited a very long time, way too long, for our entrees. It's a lovely place and I wish them well.Special Features:
- New and special for San Diego1happybellyVIPDined on 9/17/2014Chef Blais has brought us a new concept in fresh, crazy good, interesting cuisine that raises the bar on San Diego dining.Special Features:
- Great special experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/16/2014Went there with 3 good friends. Everything were mostly great. Ambiance, service etc all great. The appetizer were tasty, but the sea bass was not up to scratch (2 people had this), while the pork entry was amazing! Also a very interesting cocktail menu worth exploring.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/16/2014Service was great! I was really disappointed with a few of the dishes. The pasta and steak were both over cooked. I ordered the steak medium-rare and it showed up medium (one of my pet peeves). The cut also didn't seem great as it was extremely rough. The tuna tartare and biscuit were good though.
- Great Birthday DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/16/2014Wanted to try a number of different dishes so we shared their variety of bites, toasts, small plates, pasta, etc., along with exceptional wine. Some portions are too small to share - a bite is really only a bite. A bit pricey for just a bite, but each dish was very special. I especially liked the figs. The service was superb. Although it appears cavernous, you can have an intimate coversation without yelling.Special Features:
- Met my celebrity chef expectationsOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 9/15/2014It was a great experience - from the hostess, to the waiter to the food. Everyone made our meal a memorable experience.Special Features:
- Trip to indulgence lane. WowJMPNDadVIPDined on 9/15/2014In San Diego for five days and J&I was the highlight of our dining experience. So many memorable dishes! If I was pushed for a negative, it was loud. However, the food drowned out all the white noise. Our night -- Corn fritters, Swedish meatballs, Cobb salad, beet salad, tartare crostini, bahn mi crostini, squash pasta, agnolotti and for dessert the yodel. Yes drinks too. My wife the In The Ivy and me Devil in Disguise. Along with a bottle of wine and pressed coffee. Just kept ordering as nothing disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/14/2014If there is just two of you sit at the counter and watch the food being prepared. Each plate is checked and finished with care and precision. We liked everything particularly the sausage stuffed olives. We are going to try them at home and hope that we can do as great a job of getting the breaking to stick. My Pork Chop was cooked perfectly. If I lived in San Diego this would be my go to placeSpecial Features:
- Stunning RestaurantJamesMackayJMMVIPDined on 9/14/2014Very impressive from the moment that you walk into the converted warehouse. Very impressive food and service.Special Features:
- We love a good restaurant!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/14/2014We really enjoyed everything at Juniper and Ivy. The Sommelier requested a wine that was perfect with dinner and exactly what we were looking for which was priced a few dollars less ( that was impressive)... Our waitress was so confident and informative she knew the menu, recommended some great items and made our experience fun and complete. All of the food was tasty and well prepared...only one item was not a five star, the fish entree which was very dry.. But the appetizers, the corn, the chicken, the pork chop were all up to par....we own a restaurant so we are very appreciative of good simple, delicious food.Special Features:
- Food was excellent!FALJALDined on 9/14/2014This was our first time eating at Juniper and Ivy. Activity level was high all around...lots of help in the service area, plus food was delivered quickly. We did have an early reservation (6:00 pm). Appetizer of beets was excellent. Both of us had fish and both were excellent. interesting cocktail menu, plus full wine list. Because it was my birthday, we were given a delicious dessert to share.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great interior food portion too bigLJJmoDined on 9/14/2014When we found out Rich Blais opened his restaurant in San Diego, we were so excited. We love the outside and inside of the structure and decors. The savory dishes were good, but they didn't "wow" us, except for desserts. Baja Yellowtail: enjoyed the crispy tostada but yellowtail had too much fiber. WEISER FARM POTATOES: can get much better potatoes somewhere. BANH MI Toast: the bread was really soft and crunchy. Squash pasta: good, but rather dense. STRIP STEAK: loved the KIMCHI KETCHUP and side of carrots. Portion too big. Three big chunks of meat! One would have been enough. GARDEN & GRAIN: very pretty and great flavor, but could have been much smaller. The deserts were highlight of dining! Yodel Awesome! We will come back to eat Yodel!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- big disappointmentFoodisgoodDined on 9/14/2014We were so looking forward to out evening at Juniper & Ivy. The restaurant is modern and attractive, the service was very good. The appetizers were unique and delicious. The salad, main course and desert were bad. I would not serve any of this food in my house (and I am not an amazing cook).
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 9/13/2014The place is beautiful, but for the price tag it's disappointing. The carne asada toast is excellent, but the meatballs, toastada, biscuit are average at best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Good Food, Outstanding Serviceurbanite619Dined on 9/13/2014The specialty cocktails my wife and I tried before dinner were fantastic. All the food we sampled was very good, none of it "knocked our socks off", but we enjoyed all of it. Every course was served promptly and every aspect of the service our waitress provided was top notch. The noise level at 6:00 on Saturday approached "noisy", but never became quite that excessive. I will describe the decor of the restaurant as somewhere between modern and trendy. Overall, a solid very good experience.Special Features:
- great food but very noisyJuniperIvyDined on 9/12/2014Great dining experience. Service was outstanding.....great food. However, it was very noisy on a Friday night. A real scene....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Aside from staff, DisappointingHeidiDined on 9/12/2014Our service was great from valet to host to wait staff - very thorough without being invasive. It seems a well-run business. Aside from that, it is difficult to write much more that is positive. The food was so-so; actually the grouper was rubber. The ambiance, setting, noise, aesthetics - altogether was disappointing and not much to appreciate.Special Features:
- Wow!FoodsnobDined on 9/12/2014Juniper & Ivy had it all going. Food, drinks, ambience, and service. Tasty food fit for foodies. Recommend ordering as many small plates as you can so you can try more!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MikieraDined on 9/12/2014Had been looking forward to trying the new restaurant Juniper & Ivy after seeing Richard Blaiz win Top Chef and seeing his restaurant mentioned on the new FoodNetwork show "Top Chef Duels"!. The restaurant was absolutely fabulous--amazing food, great service and the ambiance was wonderful!Special Features:
- Great experienceBootsjonesDined on 9/11/2014I went here with a bunch of friends and we shared as many dishes as we could. The food is awesome, all of our dishes were good, the blueberry dessert was unreal. Service was great both at the bar and on the floor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/11/2014I was greatly disappointed in the food. The Ravioli had a very thick outer shell and was rather flavorless. Sent it back and had the chicken instead - but it was nothing special.
- LoudGaslampMapDined on 9/11/2014OK, the food is amazing, but that goes without saying. But, beware, it is super loud in there! And the worst part, in my opinion, are that 75% of the tables are sitting right next to each other. You know, so that you can hear you neighbors conversations. Fine in a college cafeteria or at the bar, but a nice, expensive restaurant? Thankfully we were sat in one of the few booths.Special Features:
- so delicious!!MadiDined on 9/10/2014we tried this restaurant because of its famous chef, and we definitely weren't disappointed! everything we ordered was so delicious (included: pig ear salad, beet salad, and the steak dish with vegetables) our medium-rare steak was cooked to perfection, the the pig ear salad was a nice combination of flavors and textures. the beet salad was delicious, but if you're expecting a green salad you should go with something else. The menu said that the salad came with kale, which means 2 baby leaves of kale, the salad was beet based not green based, but yummy nonetheless. our waiter was energetic and friendly throughout the meal, but wouldn't have minded if he checked on us a couple more times! ambiance is fun yet a little noisy!Special Features:
- Great food and atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/9/2014We found the whole dining experience to be great. We were seated right on time. While we waited in the bar, our server was helpful both on the menu in the bar and the menu for the restaurant. Once seated, we were given prompt attention by our waiter who also was helpful with the menu. The food itself was delicious. We look forward to going back again and again.Special Features:
- What a find!travelndineDined on 9/9/2014Open only 6 months it has a wonderful menu with a variety of options both large and small that are perfect for sharing. A very eclectic wine list with a wonderful sommelier who went thru the options and helped us pick a fantastic red blend. Soon found out that SHE was just recognized in one of the wine magazines for her expertise. The food was wonderful and inventive which a foodie really appreciates. The servers were great as well attentive but not intrusive. Can't wait to return.Special Features:
- gracieDined on 9/9/2014The crowd tends to be young and by 7ish, the noise level is quite high. If you want an energetic fun evening go to this restaurant. If you have problems or business to discuss at length, go elsewhere. The price is high, but there are lots of choices and the food is excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Creative and DynamicMWMIVIPDined on 9/8/2014It's been quite a few years since I've been to such a creative and dynamic restaurant. I highly recommend sitting at the Chef's Counter, it allows for a unique experience in viewing the hustle and bustle of the kitchen as well as a prime spot from which to see a variety of menu items as they are prepared and leave the kitchen. The staff interaction also provides entertainment. I am looking forward to returning and trying more dishes. I'm so glad Richard Blaise opened in San Diego - my only disappointment of the evening was there was no Richard Blaise sighting! Maybe next time.Special Features:
- Foodie festDavestreatDined on 9/8/2014Great food. Wife loves chef Richard from Top Chef. San Diego is fortunate to have this chef open his restaurant here. Very good service, definately take care of their customers. Extensive wine list. Fresh, local food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We expected to love itlanriVIPDined on 9/7/2014We went for our anniversary, expecting (based on all we'd heard) to love the place, and while it was good, it didn't live up to its hype: Although the food was good, no dish except the Yodel was exceptionally presented or memorably delicious. And while the wait staff were all friendly and attentive, the pace of service was a bit too quick for us, particularly for a celebratory meal. Unlike many reviewers, we did not find the portions small or the prices excessive and feel that we received adequate value for the cost of our meal -- $175, which included 3 small plates, 2 dinners, 1 Yodel, wine, tax and tip. We may not go back, except perhaps for dessert & coffee. If we do, I plan to order my own Yodel.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/7/2014all around amazing !!! Alexis and Samantha made the experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First visitOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 9/7/2014Wonderful dinner from the decor, service and especially the food!! Unfortunately, they ran out of their special, which we really wanted to try, but other than that will definatly return. Next time will want to sit at the kitchen bar seats.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good idea/mediocre resultOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/7/2014Menu better than the reality. Roast pork bland(last Sunday night). Serving bowls heavy/ponderous/space hogs. Waitress did not really know the wine list(everything is "good" on the wine list)/seemed irritated when we asked for another opinion. Sommelier was a joy and helpful. Nice dining room but a bit loud. Not worth a second chance was the opinion of my 3 person group.
- Deliciousness in San DiegoDineMZDined on 9/6/2014First of all, the beauty of the staff immediately struck me and my dining partner. Why was everyone so attractive? Did every employee go to a casting to get their job? No complaints here, outside of the fact that I was constantly distracted! Second of all, the food was great. Not amazing, but great. I'm spoiled with ten years of NYC dining, so there were some missteps (stale tostada on yellowtail appetizer, overcooked sea bass entree, and overly sweet yodel dessert) but overall I was very happy. The almond gazpacho is a highlight at this place. My dining partner had the linguini and liked it a lot. Wine selection was ace. Service was fun and friendly. Atmosphere a little loud, but we dined on a Saturday night... Would definitely come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodAlexisDined on 9/6/2014A wonderful place. 90% of the food was fantastic, definitely a foodie spot, with a pumping LA night spot feel. Cocktails were also a highlight.Special Features:
- Food Adventure!nickDined on 9/6/2014If you like your food experience to be an adventure of flavors and presentation, this is your spot! Loved everything!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AMAZINGOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/6/2014Awesome place to have a special occasion. Rich, lusty food that will satisfy anyone. The Crudo Carne Asada and Bahm Mi toast was incredible.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/6/2014Great ambiance, OK food, very expensive for what you got and corkage fee way too high!!
- Excellent experience, top to bottomBeingGringoDined on 9/6/2014Was an outstanding experience, thru and thru. Ambiance, plating, flavors. Various wines brands a bit pricey, but they have an excellent list, and we bought a couple bottles anyway. We'll be back. There is a lot more on the menu we want to discover. :)Special Features:
- trendy and deliciousJenniferDined on 9/6/2014We were pleasantly surprised the food lived up to it's hype...started with Ceviche perfectly done, ordered the corn and lamb bacon salad delicious as well, I had the Sea Bass and Risotto, my husband the linguine and clams..we were both very pleased. The wine list is exceptional not the run of the mill wines usually seen, good selection of domestic and imported. Cocktails are creative and well made. We did dine early at 6pm, so not crowded when a nice cocktail bar area with a counter where you can order and be served dinner, cocktails app's etc., the décor is trendy and lively with small outdoor dining patio..but it overlooks a parking lot and the valet parking I don't recommend the outside dining...interior is much more pleasing.Special Features:
- Style over Tasteluv2eatVIPDined on 9/6/2014I was so excited to try this place so my husband took me for my birthday. The service was great but they sat us in the back of the restaurant and it was like a furnace. Even the our wait person complained about it. There was a lot of what I believe was liquid nitrogen preparations which are cool but didn't do much for the food. It was pricey which is fine if it's delicious but this place missed the mark for me. I so wanted to love this place. I will say the complimentary pinwheels they served us were absolutely delish and the burger was great so all was not lost.