Juniper & Ivy
2228 Kettner Blvd
San Diego, CA 92101Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Juniper & Ivy
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.juniperandivy.com/
- Phone: 6192699036x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Thursday : 5pm - 10 p.m.
Friday & Saturday : 5pm - 11 p.m.
Bar/Lounge opens daily at 4 p.m.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Richard Blais
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: Acclaimed Chef, Richard Blais oversees the 7,500 square-foot restaurant, which is available for buyouts, meetings, cocktail receptions and other special events.
A word from Juniper & Ivy
JUNIPER AND IVY OFFERS "REFINED AMERICAN FOOD WITH LEFT COAST EDGE" COURTESY OF ACCLAIMED CHEF RICHARD BLAIS. PERHAPS MOST RECOGNIZABLE AS THE WINNER OF BRAVO'S "TOP CHEF ALL-STARS", BLAIS BRINGS HIS WILDLY CREATIVE APPROACH TO COOKING AND CUISINE TO SAN DIEGO; BACKED BY AN ALL-STAR CULINARY TEAM. EXCELLENT COCKTAIL AND WINE PROGRAMS PAIRED WITH AL FRESCO DINING, HIGH ENERGY DESIGN AND MORE MAKES JUNIPER AND IVY THE NEWEST DESTINATION RESTAURANT TO HIT THE WEST COAST.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Juniper & Ivy - Best Restaurants in Little Italy ›
Juniper & Ivy reviews from OpenTable diners
774 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (617)hot spot (526)special occasion (415)neighborhood gem (332)vibrant bar scene (310)good for groups (266)notable wine list (264)romantic (149)great for outdoor dining (74)late-night find (60)great for lunch (25)great for brunch (15)kid-friendly (14)scenic view (1)Show More
- Amazing AmbianceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/18/2014Great place to take visitors or for a special dinner. Amazing cocktails and menu is ever changing to keep it fresh. Fun plates to share. Very innovative food ideas. Would definitely recommend as a special dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 10/18/2014Definitely a must for all foodies! The queso fundido was a surprisingly delicious standout. The unique combination of ingredients brings culinary arts to a higher level.Special Features:
- J&L-A Must Go To in Little ItalyOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 10/18/2014A foodie co-worker recommended the restaurant and it exceeded his raving. Very friendly wait staff that was quite attentive even on a busy Saturday night. 2 of us shared 2 small plates, 1 large plate and had more than enough food while leaving room for an amazing dessert. I had told Open Table it was my birthday and we received an dessert surprise on the restaurant! All in all a wonderful feast; we will return with friends.Special Features:
- Most creative in San DiegoFoodieDined on 10/18/2014The menu was extremely creative, our selections were extraordinary. The bar, and cocktails, amazing and inventive. At last, a restaurant that could hold it's own with those in larger cities, such as San Fran. The service was friendly, attentive and professional, the food was delivered hot and was amazing. We had the fritters, heirlooms with feta ice cream, squash/Oaxaca/naan dish, linguini with clams and the apple tart with bacon streudel and cheddar ice cream..one of a kind! Can't wait to return to see what this ever changing menu and chef has to offer next!Special Features:
- Fabulous!nancVIPDined on 10/17/2014We celebrated our daughter's 21st birthday here and everything was fabulous! We ordered about a dozen small plates and were thrilled with them all, especially the oysters! The presentation of the oysters and the biscuit are both very special!Special Features:
- GreatEtkadDined on 10/17/2014Very unique food and flavors.its one of those places where you have to throw caution to the wind and just try something out of your comfort zone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very impressed!LarryGVIPDined on 10/17/2014Everything is top notch! Decor, atmosphere, service and food was outstanding. Pricey, but not overly so. Definitely will be back for special occassions.Special Features:
- ExcellentRMSWDined on 10/16/2014Food was delicious! Mixed coctails were also excellent. You can't miss with this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BUT OH THOSE TIGHT TABLES!OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 10/16/2014Excellent food, very good and generally prompt service, but oh that banquette! Avoid the tiny tightly-spaced tables on the banquette at all cost!! The ambiance is frenetic and loud, but apparently that appeals to some.Special Features:
- Looks great but lacks substancesandiegofoodieDined on 10/16/2014First dining experience here about two months ago was good. This joint has much going for it. It's decor and vibrant energy are fantastic for a San Diego hot spot. The menu is also creative and varied. Unfortunately the sea urchin appy was overpowered by a powerful sauce. I received my chicken pink and underdone and had to return it. My partner's ravioli was too sweet, more like a dessert than a savory dish. Our server had what seemed to be a tag line " isn't the food just perfect" leaving us tied to either negate her strongly and inwardly feel bad or to just nod and think "ok whatever...perfect NO but do you really want to hear all the details of what I think?" I am a foodie and majored in hospitality food and bev. mgmnt. Sorry J&I, 2 **.Special Features:
- Energy on SteroidsOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/15/2014Upbeat and full of energy describes this modernistic space/gastronomic warehouse. The creativity of each dish is endless. Chef Blaise, has brought an new era of eating to San Diego stepping up the standards of dining. Each dish is prepared to balance heat, sweet and salty and the presentation of each dish on a wood platter is a pleasant change from the stark white plates. Flavor is the name of the game at this restaurant and there is plenty of it to savor. The service and attitude of every staff member is positive, friendly, and professional. The desserts top the list of tasty and creative treats, don't miss them or you will miss a very important part of visiting this restaurant!Special Features:
- Great "Left Coast" Experience!OldenbearVIPDined on 10/15/2014Having followed Richard Blais's career on Top Chef, we were looking forward to trying his new restaurant. It was terrific all the way around: from the knowledgeable and attentive service to the industrial chic atmosphere and, of course, the highly creative food itself. There are snacks, raw bar dishes, small plates and large ones, perfect for "taste and share." Among the four of us we enjoyed the corn fritters, tuna tartare, heirloom tomatoes with feta "ice cream," salmon pastrami, roasted chicken, flashed ahi, day boat scallops and squid stuffed with bacon fried rice. Each dish was beautifully presented and delicious. We finished up with their chocolate Yodel and bacon cheddar apple tart. Yum! We will definitely be going back!Special Features:
- Food was terrific - but very noisyShellsVIPDined on 10/14/2014The food was terrific... very creative dishes, great cocktails, amazing dessert. It was expensive, but then again, you get what you pay for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YumAlywagDined on 10/13/2014The food was phenomenal!! Try the carne asada toast and the albacore. The specialty mixed drinks were also fantastic. Wait staff is great and it's a bonus that they are all easy on the eyes (men AND women). It is pricey, but worth it! Get the small plates and share.Special Features:
- EclecticdebcVIPDined on 10/12/2014I dined with a vegetarian friend so we ordered three salads and shared. They were all quite good with interesting blending of flavors. The biscuits are too die for. High ceiling makes for a noisy environment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurantbonmenjarDined on 10/12/2014We came here to celebrate my birthday with a party of 6 and it was great. We were on the terrace outside, which I liked a lot. Round tables, so everyone can talk with everyone and less noisy than the inside, except for when the planes land in the nearby airport from time to time. The food was really good, tasty and innovative (not quite sure about the cheddar ice cream, though), and the presentation of the plates is also very thoughtful. Service was fast and attentive, and the price reasonable for the amount of food and quality of everything. Overall, a nice place with good atmosphere and delicious food. We'll definitively repeat!Special Features:
- DisappointingRozracTheFoodieDined on 10/12/2014I will go with None of the above, no view, food was too salty, so noisy you can't talk, overall a disappointment. It was so crowded when we left I can only assume San Diego does not have much in the way of interesting restaurants! We were really looking forward to dinner, but just were not impressed.
- Very limited menu and no ProseccocasualdinnerDined on 10/12/2014First there was no Prosecco available. My wife get's headaches with Champagne but is ok with good Prosecco and it was our anniversary. The menu only offered 5-6 items. Some of the choices, like the steak with the bone marrow and a sunny side up egg or the pork shoulder with the layer of fat are probably great for true foodies but not so attractive for your average Patron. We settled for the Ahi and the the Swordfish and found them to be nothing special. The desert was sorbet with a Caramel sauce and the sauce had a very unusual and not very good taste. The best part of the meal was the toast with burrata. Good atmosphere and probably great place for drinks and appetizers but would not dine there again.
- outstandingdiningsleuth1Dined on 10/12/2014from ambiance and interior design, to amiable and efficient service, and with appetizer of pastrami cured salmon, two outstanding salads, and whimsically named San Diego Chicken, and well crafted wine list and beer choices, this currently hot restaurant exceeded my already high expectationsSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/11/2014We tried 4 dishes in order to get a good idea of the different food options. Each dish was not memorable. The oysters were small and nothing special. The biscuit was the same as what you can get at any breakfast joint, but, a little more salty. The steak tartar was tasty but very rich. The lamb bolognase was terrible. The sauces was watery with the dish had very little meat. I had big expectations for this restaurant since I had watched Chef Blais on Top Chef. In summary the food was basic and not unique at all. The service was very good though. I doubt we will return.Special Features:
- Outstanding meal!MrsDrFoxyDined on 10/11/2014Excellent service, inventive cuisine, immensely tasty! We had a truly memorable night and even the picky eater of our group left happy! Lives up to the hype.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad start, Great endingHaloDeckVIPDined on 10/11/2014We made reservations two months in advance, specifically so we could reserve the Chef's table for 6. My daughter is an aspiring chef and really wanted to view the activity. I confirmed the table twice. Imagine our huge disappointment when we arrived and they had given our table to a larger party. While I understand the business decision to accommodate a larger party, I was disappointed they would give away a table reserved two months in advance and confirmed twice. The manager did apologize and offered appetizers, but what saved the day was Chef Blaise. He personally welcomed us and invited my daughter to tour the kitchen. Finally the manager returned and promised that our next visit would be guaranteed at the Chef's table. Great Ending!Special Features:
- Unique dining experienceMartyVIPDined on 10/11/2014J&I is a fun restaurant that offers really yummy food with a menu that changes based on ingredients J&I gets with their food suppliers that is fresh and seasonal. Definitely a stop for anyone that is adventurous!Special Features:
- Amazing!TthadDined on 10/11/2014The food was the star of the night! It's a beautiful restaurant, with knowledable servers. We ordered 4 dishes to share and I'm so glad we did- every dish was excellent! The heirloom tomato with feta ice cream was my personal favorite, and my husband says the pork shoulder alone would bring him back. We also ordered the tuna tartare and the beet dish. Everything was delicious. It was expensive, but worth every penny. Our biggest struggle is: when we go back, do we order the same dishes because we know they're heavenly; or do we order different dishes because we trust everything is as outstanding? That's a wonderful "struggle" to have. I know we'll be back, though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HerbDined on 10/10/2014Richard Blaise did not disappoint. Juniper and Ivy had a great vibe. Food was amazing.... flavor combinations were unexpected and delish! Look forward to our next visit.Special Features:
- Love This Place!SDFoodieDined on 10/10/2014Juniper & Ivy continues to be a great place. Their menu changes in order to be fresh and tasty! I really enjoy the atmosphere, service and food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome Birthday Dinner!AmandaCVIPDined on 10/10/2014This was the second time coming to Juniper & Ivy and was not disappointed this visit as our visit. We brought our friends to my birthday dinner to enjoy all the yumminess and have been converts! We ordered a few small plates to share that came out quickly. We had so much food from the small plates that we were able to share an entree. Recommend the biscuit and the heirloom tomato salad. If they still have it on their menu, highly recommend their kobe beef tenderloin that had wild mushrooms and potato gnocchi. If you have room for dessert, get the yodel or the caramel mousse. Neither one will disappoint!Special Features:
- fun food, call your own cabccatgoDined on 10/10/2014The food and the cocktails were good, though not extraordinary, I felt the flavors matched the rest of what we had eaten during our vacation. I had found the restaurant in an article by Food and Wine magazine so was an upbeat atmosphere and the table service was lighthearted which added some fun to the dinner. I wasn't impressed with the hostess stand; when I aked if they could call us a cab, they told us to go outside and wait because cabs drive by all the time. Needless to say, none did. Maybe it was just poor timing, but after cocktails, wine, appetizers, dinner and dessert, the hostesses should not be put out by ordering a cab for the patrons.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/10/2014Me and my husband had dinner to celebrate our anniversary. I ordered the felet with blue cheese and gnocchi the steak was good but the gnocchi was Greta. My husband had the New York steak which was better than the filets its bone marrow bread pudding this was outstanding. I want the recipe! They brought us a complimentary desert a chocolate mousse best I have ever had!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding Dining ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/10/2014We enjoyed our experience at Juniper & Ivy. The staff was very friendly and took several pictures for us. Chef Blaise is a master with flavor profiles. Everything was delicious. The T-bone with Bone marrow bread pudding was my favorite dish. The chef even took a picture with us. I look forward to going back every time I'm in San Diego.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YUM!!LizLDined on 10/8/2014There were so many intriguing items on the menu it made it hard to decide. We opted for sharing lots of single items. Everything was excellent with the only thing that left us slightly disappointed was the Honey Crisp Apples - it was very light on apple but the dressing was divine! Mike was our server and he was outstanding. We arrived earlier than the rest of our party and received excellent acknowledgement and attention from the minute we arrived. We can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- would come backOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/7/2014Met a couple of friends for dinner. Good food, and we liked being able to order a number of dishes to share. Great place for business dinners as well- upscale, nice atmosphere, not too stuffy, not too loud, and not too quiet. Not the best of any dish I've ever had, but still good food, and would definitely come back.Special Features:
- First time visitTrymanyrestaurantsDined on 10/7/2014I probably won't rush back for a second time visit, but I will go back. Food was fine and the service was great. The noise was a bit too much for casual conversation.Special Features:
- Dinner 10/05/2014IzatrytDined on 10/5/2014We sat outside, which was pleasant, even with the planes landing regularly. The restaurant itself was really loud. The food was excellent and the service was fantastic. Next time we visit San Diego, we will definitely return.Special Features:
- Wonderful experienceSuzReviewsDined on 10/5/2014This is my second time at Juniper & Ivy and it is an extraordinary dining experience. From the lovely greeters to the perfect after dinner drink, it is something special. We went with another couple and they were as thrilled with their meal. I tried the San Diego chicken which was probably the best chicken ever. So moist! We also had the steak which was in the top 5. We sampled several apps and each was exquisite...stuffed olives, figs, toast in a way you can't imagine...wines were reasonable and a sophisticated selection. The desserts (which as a rule I do not try) enticed me and I was very happy I had the carmel mousse with an armagnac sided with black coffee. All others were as fabulous. Chef Richard Blais should be very proud. Kudos!Special Features:
- Meh, nothing to write home aboutfoodaholicVIPDined on 10/4/2014Started off with one of their specialty drinks and wasn't good, so the waitress suggested something else, but that wasn't good either so I stopped there with the drinks. Food was okay. Had the tuna tartar, and was a little bland. My friend told the waitress it was my birthday, but she forgot and just brought the check. Needless to say, I don't think she got a very good tipSpecial Features:
- Perfect Evening at Juniper & IvySanDiegoDJDined on 10/4/2014Went to Juniper & Ivy for a birthday celebration with my wife and had the most incredible evening. Selena our server was on top of everything from the moment we sat down until we left. Her descriptions of dishes were spot-on and suggestions showed a great knowledge of the menu. As for the food, it started with a special app for us and ended with dessert and coffee that completed the evening, In between, the dishes provided a unique and incredibly vibrant symphony designed to engage the pallet like none other. Chef Richard Blais visited us at the Chef's Counter and made the evening one to remember. Do not miss the experience this restaurant provides, make a reservation and prepare to be impressed.Special Features:
- Great experienceWHAPAMDined on 10/4/2014Dined here for the first time to celebrate my wife's birthday week! Enjoyed the impressive food selections & seeing Chef Blais walking the floor. Will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dinnerfellowchefs2Dined on 10/4/2014We took my son, who is a chef, for dinner. Food was great and Richard Blais was so nice to visit our table. It meant a lot to my son.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/3/2014The place looks great and the crowd is pretty hip. The food is good, but the service was so unbelievably bad, that it's hard for me to give more than 2 stars. I was with a large group and seated upstairs but our waiter would disappear for 15-30 minutes at a time. We waited 15 just to get our drink order, another 30 to actually get the drinks (after I stood up and asked someone). We waited so long, we ended up going to the bar to get our drinks. The timing of the food was a little off as well, 2 people in our group didn't get their food with the rest of us. I was there for my birthday and while I do understand the dessert was free, I found it off putting that the waiter gave us silverware 20 minutes before it actually came.