Juniper & Ivy
2228 Kettner Blvd
San Diego, CA 92101Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Juniper & Ivy
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.juniperandivy.com/
- Phone: 6192699036x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Thursday : 5pm - 10 p.m.
Friday & Saturday : 5pm - 11 p.m.
Bar/Lounge opens daily at 4 p.m.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Richard Blais
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: Acclaimed Chef, Richard Blais oversees the 7,500 square-foot restaurant, which is available for buyouts, meetings, cocktail receptions and other special events.
A word from Juniper & Ivy
JUNIPER AND IVY OFFERS "REFINED AMERICAN FOOD WITH LEFT COAST EDGE" COURTESY OF ACCLAIMED CHEF RICHARD BLAIS. PERHAPS MOST RECOGNIZABLE AS THE WINNER OF BRAVO'S "TOP CHEF ALL-STARS", BLAIS BRINGS HIS WILDLY CREATIVE APPROACH TO COOKING AND CUISINE TO SAN DIEGO; BACKED BY AN ALL-STAR CULINARY TEAM. EXCELLENT COCKTAIL AND WINE PROGRAMS PAIRED WITH AL FRESCO DINING, HIGH ENERGY DESIGN AND MORE MAKES JUNIPER AND IVY THE NEWEST DESTINATION RESTAURANT TO HIT THE WEST COAST.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
Juniper & Ivy - Best Restaurants in Little Italy ›
Juniper & Ivy reviews from OpenTable diners
759 reviews since April 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (571)hot spot (496)special occasion (421)vibrant bar scene (353)neighborhood gem (328)good for groups (259)notable wine list (255)romantic (162)late-night find (86)great for outdoor dining (83)great for lunch (30)great for brunch (23)kid-friendly (18)scenic view (3)Show More
- Horrible serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/26/2014The service was horrible. Had to ask twice for popovers. An appetizer ordered never came. The waitress NEVER EVER came over to ask us how dinner was so we couldn't let her know didn't get appetizer. Then wanted to know if we wanted dessert after sitting for 10 mins with dirty plates. Not a good experience for the expensive price.
- eatriteDined on 8/25/2014Great food, good service, noise level extremely high. Special request not granted.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome!!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/25/2014Best restaurant in San Diego county!!!! We will be back again and again!!!Special Features:
- Good food and awesome serviceJmakDined on 8/24/2014I've been wanting to check out this restaurant for a while. The server was very knowledgeable about the menu. Food was good with decent portions. We were easily able to share several dishes. The carne crudo asada toast lived up to the hype.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Blais does not disappoint!!!BBlaisDined on 8/23/2014Great food!! The buttermilk biscuit melted in your mouth(southern style). The fish in the Ceviche was buttery, the Black Mission Fig toast was the jewel in the crown, the Slow roasted beets w/ fresh fruit was the best we've had, the Pork Porterhouse was so big we didn't finish it,and the green tea Macaron was heaven. Service was spot on. Wine menu was interesting and different.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food so sofoodlverDined on 8/23/2014Service was fantastic. Small bites and small plates excellent. Loved the squash blossom and bisquit. Also had the beet salad which was good. Main dinner/entres terrible. My husband ordered the salmon and it was cooked raw- twice. I ordered the strip steak and it was so tough and hard to cut- I sent it back. Second time the meat was still tough. The restaurant was extremely noisy- it is also right under the flight pattern-airplanes flying over every 15 minutes. I would recommend if you wanted to grab some good appetizers/small plates and a drink- not for dinner. I expected so much more and was disappointed.Special Features:
- Remarkable dining experienceMaxxDined on 8/22/2014Food, service and fun! Remarkably created dishes that are delicious and uniquely one-of-a-kind. Ambience is fun, service terrific, food off-the -charts good. Can't wait to go back. Can't remember when we had a better meal. Be sure to inquire about the "secret" menu.Special Features:
- Food for Foodies!WackywifeDined on 8/22/2014A group of 4 of us dined and everyone loved it. It is somewhat loud but a wonderful urban, rustic ambience. We shared several courses, tuna tartre, clam linguine, yellow tail tostado, carne crudo tacos and bone marrow. Everyone had their favorite mine was the tuna tartre, though the carne crudo tacos were a close second. The service was friendly and unpretencious. We will be returning.Special Features:
- Amazing food, casual settingjcow64Dined on 8/22/2014Normally to get food this good you have deal with a lot of pretentiousness, but not here. The Vibe is casual and friendly, and the food is amazing. Prices are reasonable for the quality of the food, I think the highest priced entree was under $40, but by the time we got through the appetizers, small plates, toasts and pastas (which average $8-$12) we were too full for an entree. We did save room for dessert, and the Yodel did not disappoint- too good for words. Take advantage of the $5.00 valet parking if coming by car, otherwise you may be circling awhile to find a spot on the street. Arrive early and start with a signature cocktail at the bar ($10-$12) or a glass/bottle of wine from their impressive wine list(or both like us).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dining in northern Little ItalyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/21/2014I enjoyed dining here. The interior design is outstanding-- I like the elevated bar space that looks down on the dining room-- it creates a sense of theater as you look down on the crowd and the kitchen. The servers were all friendly, and seem to both enjoy serving and explaining the dishes as they arrived. The buttermilk biscuit is as advertised-- it melts in your mouth, total pleasure! Ditto on the Carne Cruda Asada-- probably the best thing we ate, very rich, flavorful, each mouthful a delight. The sea bass was also excellent, and of course, the desserts must be tried-- the yodel is superb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cool and modern restaurant.broeningDined on 8/21/2014Cool and modern restaurant. Good music in the background. Wait staff very professional.Special Features:
- american with gourmet twiststreetdogDined on 8/21/2014solidly tasty food. appetizers ranged from 6-12 dollars, small plates to $16, entrees 25-40 dollars. Less expensive than I thought. Everything was very good. Because its a foodie place I think the standard it sets is higher, so its harder to hit it out of the park. Was there when richard blais was there.....quite a treat. Had a fun outing. would definitely go back there.Special Features:
- Great setting, good foodRandyDined on 8/21/2014Our first time at J&I, we were looking for selections that bore the Richard Blais signature for imaginative, tasty combinations. We were not disappointed. Dry ice smoke rising from the grassy bar oysters was an impressive presentation, and the combined flavors of this plate were exciting and delicious. Always a big plus for us is knowledgeable and helpful service, and we couldn't have had better. All in all, a very enjoyable experience. There are so many interesting menu items, we'll be back to try some we missed.Special Features:
- Delish!JuniperDined on 8/20/2014The restaurant sits tucked away on Kettner. The ambiance is fun yet carries a romantic vibe. Very farm to table. The drinks and food live up to the title of best of SD and the service is amazing! My husband had the burger which was melt in your mouth amazing and I had the sirloin that comes sliced with a beautiful presentation! I highly recommend Juniper & Ivy well done Chef Sloan!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome Food ExperienceAmandaCVIPDined on 8/20/2014We went to Juniper & Ivy to celebrate our wedding anniversary. Because we mentioned it was our anniversary, the hostess upgraded us to the kitchen counter where we got a great show of watching the kitchen masters make our dishes. Our waitress was super friendly and gave great food recommendations of the menu. I enjoyed a cocktail called In the Ivy that loved so much that I got two. We decided to do a bunch of the small dishes to get a wide experience and was recommended by our waitress. The corn fritter is a must as well as the carned cruda asada and squash blossom relleno. If you have room for dessert, I would recommend carmel chocolate mousse. Will be coming back again and bringing out friends!Special Features:
- Great experiencechrisVIPDined on 8/19/2014I've been going to some great new restaurants recently so to stand out the way that Juniper & Ivy did was pretty surprising. Can't go back soon enough.Special Features:
- LouieDined on 8/19/2014This is a great restaurant! I would describe the food as eclectic. Each item we order had some wonderful twist to it. We both shared the beet salad and the heirloom tomato salad and both were delicious (the heirloom had feta ice cream). Split the salmon which was moist and finished off with the devil's food cake that they poured hot chocolate over. Put that dessert over the top. Oh and the service was spot on, our server Karen was always checking with us and the food came out in a timely manner. This is one restaurant that I will be going back to!Special Features:
- Make your next reservation here!yummyfoodDined on 8/19/2014The small plate meatball was so unexpected. Coupled with a green salsa verde and pickled peppers, each bite packed a punch! The carne cruda asada was incredible, the quail egg on top is what makes this dish, so yummy. I had the salmon and my husband had the steak strip, both very tasty. I'm excited to go back and try their other dishes. overall a great dining experience, friendly attentive staff, lively atmosphere. Will definitely be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HaydenDined on 8/18/2014Wait staff was courteous, attentive and helpful when ordering our selections. We shared the Squash Blossom, delicious, but skimpy, one small blossom. Grassy Bar Oysters, beautifully presented and the horseradish "pearls", very clever. Black Mission Fig, sweet and savory and generous. Strip Steak was hot, wonderfully seared and delicious. White Sea Bass was also hot and flavorful. Was very disappointed the Lamb Bologneses was sold out at our7:30 reservation. The Yodel was very different and a great chocolate fix. The Caramel Chocolate Mousse too salty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Creative Menu and beautiful platingfood24Dined on 8/18/2014Some of the dishes we had: Biscuit, it wasn't as flaky as i hoped for. Meatball, moist and sauce was very flavorful. Ceviche, very fresh & nice amount of citrus but needed a touch of salt. Baja shrimp toast, grilled to perfection, cucumber & oranges offset the spicyness of shrimp nicely. Lamb pasta so hearty and cooked perfectly. Corn angoloti great contrast of crunchy corn to creamy filling but pasta was way too thick, took away from delicate corn filling. Pork entree cooked perfectly but couldve used a lot more salt and flavor. Yodel had great choc flavor but too many crunchy components, needs something creamy to bring it all together. PB&J was perfectly balanced between sweet grape components and crunchy salty peanuts.Special Features:
- Yummy!PhillyJillyDined on 8/18/2014Juniper and Ivy is different than other restaurants- it really has extra details to make the food really interesting. I've been 3 times now and had a great time each visit!Special Features:
- Interesting night.downtownfoodieDined on 8/18/2014It started with the hostesses failing to notify our server it was our anniversary even though it was acknowledged by them when we entered. After we sat, a runner immediately brought someone else's food to our table. We ordered a bottle of Pinot Blanc and it was brought to our table at room temp. Hard to decide on it warm. It was eventually chilled at a mystery location where we could not see it or know how much wine was remaining. The menu was confusing and a bit pretentious, the wine list on the expensive side. But Richard Blais' food was outstanding, saving the evening for us. The server was friendly and she worked hard to overcome the initial issues we experienced.Special Features:
- MeatballnanakiyeDined on 8/17/2014I am all about the dry aged beef meatball. It was my favorite item of the night. The squash blossom relleno was fried in an incredibly light batter. I wish I could have had four of each of those things. It's so hard not to order the whole menu each time. Bring friends who will shareSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food, Poor ValueElizabethVIPDined on 8/17/2014We went for a date night, but probably poorly planned given we had run the half marathon in the heat that morning and weren't feeling chipper. We showed up early on purpose to have drinks at the bar before our reservation, which were delicious. We were seated late for our reservation, but thankfully in a quieter corner, because even on a Sunday, the restaurant was full and noisy. We opted for several small plates, which the waitress coursed for us, which was nice. The heirloom tomatoes with feta ice cream was by far our favorite. Everything was good, including our drinks, but nothing stood out as exceptional, which was disappointing given the prices/what we spent.Special Features:
- Great place, better foodSundayIvyDined on 8/17/2014Certainly a must go to for anyone in San Diego. We can't wait to come back just for the option of dining here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExpensiveOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/17/2014Might as well buy rotisserie chicken at grocery store and put sauce with presentation. Spent !50.00 for 2 people and shared entree, chicken, very average. Had cocktail each, Glass of wine $11.00 each Gruner, was delicious. and a few apps.Special Features:
- Didn't live up to the hypeOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/17/2014Id been hearing what a great place this was and honestly, I was very disappointed. Pricey, small servings (a couple of bites for some dishes) and nothing was really outstanding. Ordered items from each category on the menu except the entrees. Current trendy hot spot. Service was excellent.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/16/2014We have been here before. This time we took friends. One of the friends is on a strict diet. Our waiter, Gino, took it all in stride and researched an entree's ingredients and had the kitchen make adjustments to fit her needs. While the noise level is somewhat energetic, we had little trouble conversing. The food is wonderful. We have tried numerous dishes including the San Diego Chicken and the Ensenada White Bass. We were not disappointed. Also, a must try is the corn fritters. We found the Kale Caesar pleasant with no bitter kale taste. Do not miss the Caramel Chocolate Mousse!Special Features:
- Gastronomic experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/16/2014Chef Richard Blais does NOT disappoint! We started off at the bar for some cocktails; the "In the Ivy" was really refreshing, especially on a hot summer day, and the Milly Vanilly was good, if you like something on the sweet side. Some suggestions for ordering off the dinner menu (our group of 4 shared the following dishes): Squash Blossom Relleno, Baja Yellowtail, Salmon Tartare, Corn Agnolotti (order the large plate), Lamb Bolognese (order the large plate), Baja Shrimp Toast, Slow Roasted Beets, Local Corn, and California King Salmon. For dessert: Be sure to order the Yodel (a chocolate lover's delight) and Caramel Chocolate Mousse. Every dish was very flavorful and no one in our group had any complaints.Special Features:
- ExcellentSheilaDined on 8/16/2014Great atmosphere, food and service. We were there for our anniversary and our waiter made it such a special occasion. The food is different and delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This is a table?OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014Any retaurant that takes reservations, no matter how popular or trendy that restaurant is, should have seating inside the restaurant for patrons who's reservations are accepted. A table outside on a patio next to the valet stand and what looks like a structure for long-term storage—to say nothing of being almost directly underneath the SAN flight path—may be acceptable for walk-ins. If you've made the effort to make a reservation, however, such a table will sour your visit from its start. The alternative? Oh, the "chef's table"! It's like sitting at the bar, only hotter because your close to the ovens and stoves. Woohoo. Uh, next please. Oh, there is no next. Enjoy your meal.
- Awesome experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/16/2014The ambiance, the interesting menu, great wine, awesome service, the funky bathrooms, I could go on. The beef carpaccio toast with quail egg won us over! Share the plates so you get to taste more delicacies you won't be disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice but could be betterLAVisitorDined on 8/16/2014Had good Spanish and Portuguese wine. Menu tried to be innovative but missed the mark. Close but no cigar. The bone marrow got killed by the ranch dressing. Got to lose that dressing. Try reduced wine sauce or something. The pasta ravioli thing was under cooked and inedible. Not close to being al dente. The steak tartar with quail eggs and the ceviche were very good.Special Features:
- Incredible!OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/15/2014Absolutely loved this restaurant. Can't wait to go back. Food was delish as well as the cocktails. I recommend Juniper & Ivy 100%.Special Features:
- A real experienceRITADined on 8/15/2014THe food is delicious, creative, magic. Each onde of the plates I choose was a experience in taste, smell, beautiful. It is really good. The service was efficient and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sharing is caringRaffyJoyDined on 8/15/2014Each plate was good, portions were big enough so you can share with another but small enough where you can have a 3 course mealSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and vibeilovefoodDined on 8/15/2014The food and the atmosphere were both amazing! I definitely recommend for a night out with friends or for a date.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chef Blaise is charmingjawsDined on 8/15/2014We were welcomed with Champagne and an a starter which was unexpected - Thank You Chef Blaise. The cocktails were perfection and Sommelier Tammy was extremely knowledgeable and selected the perfect Red. The menu is extensive so I will have to return to try out the many other items that sound and Look wonderful. I so want to sit at the bar facing the Chef's at work too.Special Features:
- Good and badjjelDined on 8/14/2014Service was great and place was fun and hopping. Ordered a large variety of first courses and all great. Main courses/entrees were not good. Steak was fare, salmon and bass were bland and pasta was too al dente. Perfect place for groups to drink and share appetizers. Bill was reasonable.Special Features:
- Best Food in San DiegoSDWineReviewsDined on 8/13/2014This is the most creative menu in San Diego. Really interesting well prepared food served in an urban chic cool vibe setting. Really creative and interesting wine list too!Special Features: