Juniper & Ivy
2228 Kettner Blvd
San Diego, CA 92101Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Juniper & Ivy
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.juniperandivy.com/
- Phone: 6192699036x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Thursday : 5pm - 10 p.m.
Friday & Saturday : 5pm - 11 p.m.
Bar/Lounge opens daily at 4 p.m.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Richard Blais
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: Acclaimed Chef, Richard Blais oversees the 7,500 square-foot restaurant, which is available for buyouts, meetings, cocktail receptions and other special events.
A word from Juniper & Ivy
JUNIPER AND IVY OFFERS "REFINED AMERICAN FOOD WITH LEFT COAST EDGE" COURTESY OF ACCLAIMED CHEF RICHARD BLAIS. PERHAPS MOST RECOGNIZABLE AS THE WINNER OF BRAVO'S "TOP CHEF ALL-STARS", BLAIS BRINGS HIS WILDLY CREATIVE APPROACH TO COOKING AND CUISINE TO SAN DIEGO; BACKED BY AN ALL-STAR CULINARY TEAM. EXCELLENT COCKTAIL AND WINE PROGRAMS PAIRED WITH AL FRESCO DINING, HIGH ENERGY DESIGN AND MORE MAKES JUNIPER AND IVY THE NEWEST DESTINATION RESTAURANT TO HIT THE WEST COAST.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Juniper & Ivy - Best Restaurants in Little Italy ›
Juniper & Ivy reviews from OpenTable diners
802 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (640)hot spot (541)special occasion (437)neighborhood gem (343)vibrant bar scene (325)notable wine list (285)good for groups (277)romantic (154)great for outdoor dining (71)late-night find (63)great for lunch (29)great for brunch (17)kid-friendly (17)Show More
- Creative VarietyRobinRDined on 10/27/2014Creative food selections, perhaps a good idea to share some of the small plates, so that you can try more tastes. Gets noisy, even on a Monday night, and becomes hard to hear the conversation at your table. Interesting vegetarian options, hope they continue to experiment to find more veg options too.Special Features:
- ScientistVIPDined on 10/26/2014The food was good. Def a celebrity chef restaurant vibe. Don't know if I'll feel so inclined to go back next time I'm in town, but it was fun to try.Special Features:
- Fun dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/26/2014Our experience was excellent. We had requested a table in a quiet area due to difficulty hearing. We are seniors after all! We were seated in a good location for our needs, for starters. Our server was friendly and made us feel welcome, helping with menu suggestions & just generally treating us well throughout the evening. Our drinks & food arrived in a very timely manner but we did not feel rushed to finish so they could turn over our table. We look forward to a return visit when in San Diego.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/26/2014We loved everything about our evening at Juniper & Ivy. We felt comfortable and welcome from thermite we walked in. Our waiter, Matt, was excellent. He was friendly and attentive but not intrusive. Our food was excellent and the plating was a treat. We will definitely go back when we return to San Diego.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- my new favorite restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/26/2014An all around excellent meal. Junniper and Ivy is an East Coast Bistro serving West Coast food...service was impeccable, wine list good and all courses were very well done. All five in my party came away extremely impressed. Finally, I should note that the chef proprietor was not just present, he was clearly oversighting all aspects of his excellent kitchen: pretty impressive for a Food Network star! we will come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous experience.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/26/2014We took our daughter here for her 16th birthday, and this was a great experience. Some fabulous food items set up with lots of "small plates" that gives us a chance to sample many incredibly tasty dishes, as well as some full entrees of you want just a full meal. We went the small plates route, and sampled many fabulous dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedChuckDined on 10/26/2014The reviews made this appear to be an exceptionally great restaurant. We found the food to be bland and my Sea Bass over-cooked. Will not return.Special Features:
- Best restaurant in SDRickyDined on 10/25/2014The entire meal was perfect. We tried almost 50% of their menu in one seating and everything was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth itOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/25/2014It's not an every other weekend kind of testaurant because it gets a little pricey. But when the occasion calls for it, Juniper & Ivy is worth every penny. It is officially my favorite restaurant and since I've eaten there I've stated, food will never taste the same.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food with attentive serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/25/2014We enjoyed a wonderful dinner while visiting San Diego for a meeting. Every dish we ordered was well executed, but some standouts were the queso fundido appetizer and duck entree. The yodel dessert was also to die for. It was great to see chef Richard Blais in the house manning the kitchen!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Saturday Night at Juniper & IvySDDinerVIPDined on 10/25/2014Pretty, noisy, fun. Cool, happening place. Great concept, polite but,as usual in San Diego, a 'lightly trained' staff. 20+ minutes wait for a reservation, but the chef sent out two amuse bouche. Food served in fits and starts. Long but not uncomfortable waits between courses. I'd recommend, I'd go back. Inexpensive valet.Special Features:
- Thank you for another great nightchrisVIPDined on 10/25/2014We've always had a great experience at Juniper and Ivy so I brought my parents and their friends this time. Everyone loved it and had a great time. Thanks again.Special Features:
- Great food....even better service.HenryDined on 10/25/2014I booked a table for 8 this past weekend for my Mother's birthday. I contacted them inquiring about birthday cake options. Nicole contacted me and she was as professional as can be. Upon arriving, the staff at the front (three beautiful ladies) treated us like arriving dignitaries. The server made everyone feel at home and when she saw that I was following the menu in detail, she rightfully figured I was a fan of the chef, Richard Blais. Minutes later, Richard came out of the kitchen to chat with us. My 6 year old son asked if he could take a picture with him and instead of simply saying yes, he took all of us to the kitchen for the picture taking. He made an outstanding meal even more memorable and I am deeply appreciative for this.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/24/2014Great space and liked the atmosphere, the food was also great.. short menu. . Definitely deserves a return visitSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just eat hereOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/23/2014I love this place and make a point to eat here every time I'm in San Diego.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious and comfortableBettyDined on 10/23/2014Nothing to complain about here. The service was perfect, friendly and attentive. The menu is interesting, presentation lovely, and every dish we selected pleased us. The wine list offered many unusual selections as well as 'old friends'.Special Features:
- Spirit of adventureEat2live2eatDined on 10/23/2014This place is buzzing. My wife and I loved the variety of choices and great wine list. Make sure to leave room for dessert as well.Special Features:
- downtown diningnewarrivalDined on 10/23/2014Very impressed with the ambiance. Would have expected the area to be noisier, but it was very well modulated. Different kind of menu, needing explanation. Pasta was perfectly al dente, but not enough clam flavor. Would try again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pure Delightfood1stDined on 10/22/2014The complimentary cheeses puffs are far too good to be gratis! The Deviled Eggs were like Angels danced on our tongues and dissolved!! The Buttermilk Biscuit was served in the crock and when the lid came off it smelled like it just came off a campfire!!! Every ingredient in the Iceberg Disk was unique, impeccably prepared and exquisite!!!! I had the Berkshire Pork Shoulder and everything on the plate was amazing!!!! The pork was eat with a spoon tender!!!!! My girlfriend had the 1 lb New York Strip and fortunately for me she could only eat a third of it 😃. I was already full but could not stop eating the best New York cut I have ever tasted!!!!!! The service was the perfect combination of attentive and non-intrusive!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticjjjmmacVIPDined on 10/22/2014The food was fantastic, service was prompt, knowledgeable and courteous. Tables are close together, noise level is high- don't expect a quiet evening.but the food is great.Special Features:
- Excellent DinnerCarlainSanDiegoDined on 10/22/2014I took my friend for her birthday and we really enjoyed ourselves. Our server was very nice and was patient with all our questions. When my pasta arrived semi-lukewarm, she immediately took care of it and returned with a hot piping bowl of goodness. Everything we ate was a hit and we were even surprised by the bill. We expected it to be pretty high, but it went way below our fears. This is a great and inviting place to eat and catch up with friends and family. It's a very swanky place, but zero attitude, which we both loved.Special Features:
- EXPENSIVE AND LEFT HUNGRYOverpricedDined on 10/22/2014Nothing annoys me more than spending $100/person at a nice restaurant and then have to swing by McDonalds on the way home. I have absolutely no problem paying good $$$ for food, but I expect it to be excellent, in great surroundings (which you have), good service (also good) but I expect to leave satisfied. I had the pork shoulder which was tasty. With the meat entre' though, there was quite literally a tablespoon of potatoes and a teaspoon of applesauce and then sauerkraut (3-4 bites). I had the tomato salad to start which was quite ordinary to be honest and the blueberry sherbet for desert. The sherbet itself was very good but whatever it was under it had a very strange consistency which I did not eat. SorrySpecial Features:
- "Sommelier" was a con artistmarineaterDined on 10/21/2014We were contemplating a glass of Cab and the server sent over the foreign-sounding sommelier who was armed with 2 French wines that weren't "on the menu". He described the 1st bottle as 100% Syrah and the 2nd bottle as a bordeaux blend of the usual 5 grapes, including Petit Verdot and Malbec, and we went with the blend because he said it would open up in about 5 minutes...After an hour the bottle was tight and tannic still; not at all what we wanted. The back of the bottle said it was a blend of only 3 grapes (Cab, Cab Franc, Merlot), not 5, so the som was obviously making up what he said. He marked it up over 400% of the wine shop cost as well. Don't get swindled by this guy, or drink the by-the-glass wines. Everything else was great!Special Features:
- had to try the hottest new spot!OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/21/2014After reading several reviews in the UT about Juniper & Ivy, we had to give it a try. It did not disappoint! We tried several appetizers and small plates as opposed to entrees -- the pork sausage plate, the albacore, squash fundido, and the linguine w/ clams. We enjoyed each of them, along with a nice Alexander Valley Cabernet. Service was very attentive but not overbearing. The atmosphere is very energetic; sort of a sleek, industrial motif. Overall, a great experience and we will recommend it to friends.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/21/2014Unusual menu but very good. Great service, knowledgeable server even though he had not been there very long.Special Features:
- Still ExcellentdoctorGVIPDined on 10/20/2014My partner and I have been going to Juniper and Ivy since it opened and have always loved the innovative dishes. On this visit, however, we felt that some dishes were a bit more mundane. The San Diego Chicken, for instance, had been a very interesting dish. Now it is a simple rotisserie half chicken. Appetizers were still really novel, especially the deviled eggs. Overall, still our favorite place in town, and we are hoping that innovations keep coming.Special Features:
- Great MealFoodFanDined on 10/20/2014Went on a Monday evening for a special occasion dinner. Had a nice crowd, atmosphere was vibrant. To start with the positives: menu was very interesting, as a party of 3 we really wanted to order more than was reasonable. The 3 apps (arancini, oysters, sea urchin) we ordered from the top of the menu and shared. They were all very well prepared. We shared the heirloom tomato salad, it was delicious but really not enough for 3. The mains (steak, pork, swordfish) were fabulous! The bone marrow bread pudding with the steak was one of the best things I have tried in a long time. My wife wanted it for dessert, LOL. Desserts followed suit, beautiful and delicious. Only gripe: cocktail and wine pours were skimpy. Innovative, delicious, worth it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner at Juniper & IvyBAASDined on 10/19/2014The place was very nice and well appointed. The staff are very friendly and attentive. Food was excellent! Desert is a must have as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific meal at J&IOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 10/19/2014Another great experience at J&I. Terrific little cheese gougères as an amuse. Heirloom tomato with feta ice cream was innovative and delicious. Ahi dish not very large for $33 but very nice flavors. Yodel insanely delicious and creative. Did not like as much corn fritters and salted caramel dessert - In the Ivy cocktail was refreshing but not brilliant. But excellent service and guidance. Tami Wong has a great wine list and it's exciting to see Richard Blais multitasking: giving guidance to his chefs and meeting grateful diners! He is so talented but also gracious and genuine. Look forward to our next meal when he adds more exciting dishes to the menu. Definitely the place to dine right now.Special Features:
- Amazing AmbianceMaredaDined on 10/18/2014Great place to take visitors or for a special dinner. Amazing cocktails and menu is ever changing to keep it fresh. Fun plates to share. Very innovative food ideas. Would definitely recommend as a special dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 10/18/2014Definitely a must for all foodies! The queso fundido was a surprisingly delicious standout. The unique combination of ingredients brings culinary arts to a higher level.Special Features:
- J&L-A Must Go To in Little ItalyOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 10/18/2014A foodie co-worker recommended the restaurant and it exceeded his raving. Very friendly wait staff that was quite attentive even on a busy Saturday night. 2 of us shared 2 small plates, 1 large plate and had more than enough food while leaving room for an amazing dessert. I had told Open Table it was my birthday and we received an dessert surprise on the restaurant! All in all a wonderful feast; we will return with friends.Special Features:
- Most creative in San DiegoFoodieDined on 10/18/2014The menu was extremely creative, our selections were extraordinary. The bar, and cocktails, amazing and inventive. At last, a restaurant that could hold it's own with those in larger cities, such as San Fran. The service was friendly, attentive and professional, the food was delivered hot and was amazing. We had the fritters, heirlooms with feta ice cream, squash/Oaxaca/naan dish, linguini with clams and the apple tart with bacon streudel and cheddar ice cream..one of a kind! Can't wait to return to see what this ever changing menu and chef has to offer next!Special Features:
- Top Chef SuccessShell0415Dined on 10/17/2014this Top Chef find did not disappoint!! Delicious and fun I would definitely go back. Encouraged sharing, fantastic music and vibe made the experience so much funSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous!nancVIPDined on 10/17/2014We celebrated our daughter's 21st birthday here and everything was fabulous! We ordered about a dozen small plates and were thrilled with them all, especially the oysters! The presentation of the oysters and the biscuit are both very special!Special Features:
- GreatEtkadDined on 10/17/2014Very unique food and flavors.its one of those places where you have to throw caution to the wind and just try something out of your comfort zone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very impressed!LarryGVIPDined on 10/17/2014Everything is top notch! Decor, atmosphere, service and food was outstanding. Pricey, but not overly so. Definitely will be back for special occassions.Special Features:
- ExcellentRMSWDined on 10/16/2014Food was delicious! Mixed coctails were also excellent. You can't miss with this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BUT OH THOSE TIGHT TABLES!OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 10/16/2014Excellent food, very good and generally prompt service, but oh that banquette! Avoid the tiny tightly-spaced tables on the banquette at all cost!! The ambiance is frenetic and loud, but apparently that appeals to some.Special Features:
- Looks great but lacks substancesandiegofoodieDined on 10/16/2014First dining experience here about two months ago was good. This joint has much going for it. It's decor and vibrant energy are fantastic for a San Diego hot spot. The menu is also creative and varied. Unfortunately the sea urchin appy was overpowered by a powerful sauce. I received my chicken pink and underdone and had to return it. My partner's ravioli was too sweet, more like a dessert than a savory dish. Our server had what seemed to be a tag line " isn't the food just perfect" leaving us tied to either negate her strongly and inwardly feel bad or to just nod and think "ok whatever...perfect NO but do you really want to hear all the details of what I think?" I am a foodie and majored in hospitality food and bev. mgmnt. Sorry J&I, 2 **.Special Features: