Juniper & Ivy
2228 Kettner Blvd
San Diego, CA 92101Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Juniper & Ivy
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.juniperandivy.com/
- Phone: (619) 269-9036
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Thursday : 5pm - 10 p.m.
Friday & Saturday : 5pm - 11 p.m.
Bar/Lounge opens daily at 4 p.m.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Richard Blais
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: Acclaimed Chef, Richard Blais oversees the 7,500 square-foot restaurant, which is available for buyouts, meetings, cocktail receptions and other special events.
A word from Juniper & Ivy
JUNIPER AND IVY OFFERS "REFINED AMERICAN FOOD WITH LEFT COAST EDGE" COURTESY OF ACCLAIMED CHEF RICHARD BLAIS. PERHAPS MOST RECOGNIZABLE AS THE WINNER OF BRAVO'S "TOP CHEF ALL-STARS", BLAIS BRINGS HIS WILDLY CREATIVE APPROACH TO COOKING AND CUISINE TO SAN DIEGO; BACKED BY AN ALL-STAR CULINARY TEAM. EXCELLENT COCKTAIL AND WINE PROGRAMS PAIRED WITH AL FRESCO DINING, HIGH ENERGY DESIGN AND MORE MAKES JUNIPER AND IVY THE NEWEST DESTINATION RESTAURANT TO HIT THE WEST COAST.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Juniper & Ivy - Best Restaurants in Little Italy ›
Juniper & Ivy reviews from OpenTable diners
758 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (599)hot spot (497)special occasion (400)vibrant bar scene (307)neighborhood gem (300)notable wine list (278)good for groups (260)romantic (141)great for outdoor dining (58)late-night find (57)great for lunch (25)kid-friendly (13)great for brunch (13)scenic view (2)Show More
- Delicious bites, cool atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/21/2014Juniper and Ivy has been a hot ticket since it popped up less than a year ago. Distinguishing itself from the multitude of trendy restos that are constantly opening, it has impeccable design and the imprimatur of Richard Blais' innovative cuisine. Every bite made me think about the flavor profile and how the elements of the course combined to hit certain notes to create a harmonious, powerful, and delicious experience. It's a foodie's heaven. Must have: the buttermilk biscuit. The crunch of the buttery outside and the soft perfect biscuity interior with the pat of smokey butter on top is something quite different and a delectable bite that will elicit an involuntary "mmmmmm!" Food aside, it has a very cool atmosphere and interesting cocktails. Now that the fervor over its opening has died down, I'd like to become a regular.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Award Winner for Food loversOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/21/2014My wife and I went to this restaurant this past weekend. First I will give praise for the valet parking (only $5) which overcomes a major problem going to Little Italy. We started with two appetizers. I really liked the smoked biscuit but both of us thought the fritters were too soft and did not have much flavor. These will probably be off the menu by the time you go since they change the menu often. My swordfish was outstanding, one of the best servings of fish I have had in my life. Lastly, I will rave about the Yodel dessert. Fantastic presentation pouring the hot chocolate over and watching it melt the outer wrap of chocolate to reveal all of the crunchy innards. Service was above average and the noise level was acceptable. I would ask to sit by the open kitchen next time since I think it would be entertaining to watch the cooking going on while you eat. Overall a very good experience, especially if you like to try different foods.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PLEaterVIPDined on 11/19/2014Thoroughly enjoyed everything we ate. Fav. was probably the squash ravioli or the biscuits.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what I expected!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/19/2014I was expecting more from this restaurant as it had received some great reviews. However, I would rate my experience between average and disappointing. The menu was extremely overpriced in comparison to the portions received. Focus was given to many molecular gastronomy techniques for presentation, and this resulted in high prices, small portion sizes on all plates, and the flavors were lacking...especially in the Chilean sea bass. The best thing about my dining experience at this restaurant was the one martini I had at the bar!
- Juniper & Ivy is a Treasure in the world of food!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/18/2014Our group had a remarkable time at Juniper & Ivy - great ambience, awesome service and the food was spectacular!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the best food experiences of my life!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/18/2014Was in town for work and dined solo at the chef's counter. Was completely entertained by the comings and goings of the kitchen. I started with the deviled eggs (like nothing you have ever tried), then the smoked butter biscuit (tasted like a crisp autumn night), the beets (I thought I liked beets before-=ah-mazing!), lobster risotto (newly added to the menu and not for my taste buds) and ended with the caramel chocolate mousse. I could have died a happy girl after all that! Also, my serve, Mike, was awesome! Very attentive, knowledgeable, and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic! Travel 52 weeks a year. One of my favesDLeapyrVIPDined on 11/17/2014Juniper and Ivy was one of my favorite food experiences throughout the country. I travel with a show and spend 52 weeks a year on the road for 2-5 weeks at a time and exploring restaurants has become such an important outlet for recreation is various cities. Juniper and Ivy is hands down, in my top 5 dining experiences, Great food. Great service. I will be a returning patron. FYI-save room for dessert (especially the Yodel)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Barb GrimmHoustonDined on 11/16/2014An exceptional experience! Best dining in San Diego right now. Richard Blais even stopped by to chat. Perfect. PerfectSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect combination of great food and serviceDDodsonVIPDined on 11/16/2014Voted best restaurant in San Diego for 2014 was a lot to live up to and Juniper and Ivy didn't disappoint. The delicious food was paired with really great service. Loved our waiter. Small warning -- if you sit on the patio hoping for a quieter experience note that the restaurant is in the landing path of San Diego Airport. Not a constant noise but you will need to pause your conversation every once in a while.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ambiance & good service!2YtravelDined on 11/16/2014The ambiance is very cool and the service was very good. We liked the clean and open look. The food presentation was excellent! We received a complimentary dessert for my husband's birthday and it was delicious. Everyone is very friendly and they were always clearing our plates or refilling our water and wine glasses.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Foodies DreamExcellentVIPDined on 11/14/2014The food was outstanding. We enjoyed everything. We had a bean salad, oysters (waiter sent to us for free), pasta, chicken and finished with their most popular dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gina's Birthday celebrationOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/13/2014It was my daughter's 30th birthday. She had very much wanted to try the restaurant. It was very noisy and couldn't hear each other talk. But the food was great!! It was a great special occasion place. The only thing that we didn't like was the swordfish which was overdone. Gina was very happy with the food. And the service was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/13/2014Seems like a very hip new place. Had a couple cocktails in the bar and the bartender recommended a new menu addition that was fab....the braised short rib crouton...addictive! Great open kitchen concept with seating at a counter next to it...fun experience, good food, knowledgable wait staff, would recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top Restaurant from a Top Chef!BostonAASVIPDined on 11/12/2014It was worth the trip, all the way from Boston! Everything here was delicious. The food was innovative and fresh. The staff was very well educated on the wine list and able to make good suggestions. The menu had many options for all types of food restrictions (vegetarian, etc). The ambiance was perfect! Chef Blais is a genius!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice atmosphere, overpricedDiner92116Dined on 11/11/2014Interior is nicely decorated but noisey. Fit for a younger crowd, the drinks are good but most of the entrees are overpriced. $45 for seabass?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dont order the chickenGWR1VIPDined on 11/11/2014Yes, the dining experience is unique and eclectic. I would not normally order chicken in a restaurant unless it was supposed to be something different - which my server suggested would be the case with the San Diego Chicken. Two pieces of pressed chicken were on the dish - one gentle and moist, the other much drier. So I will probably go back to not ordering chicken. The rest of the experience was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- hot spotiggyDined on 11/10/2014daily menu with a mix of classics and new molecular gastronomy-type choices. pricey but worth itSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply Amazing!DanaDined on 11/10/2014Every single item we ordered was better then the next. The deviled eggs were simply perfect as well as the yodel, the best dessert I have ever had in my life!Special Features:
- Excellent, but expensiveRichDDined on 11/10/2014The food and service were outstanding. Menu had some unique items. Everything was expensive, particularly the wines: $25 corkage fee! Fun place to go once, but we won't be going back.Special Features:
- First visit to Little Italygeewizz808Dined on 11/10/2014This was our visit to a Richard Blais restaurant. We read in a local magazine that this was a hotspot. And Juniper and Ivy did not disappoint. Started with appetizers including deviled eggs which is a must order. We all had the pork shoulder (which reminded me of the pork pot roast at Roy's on Maui) which was fork tender excellent. We finished off with the chocolate caramel ice cream dessert also excellent. Lynette our server was delightful. Beware when taking pictures in the restaurant. The staff likes to have fun photo bombing you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best restaurant in SDzoyloquilloDined on 11/9/2014i rarely write reviews but J and I was worth it. We eat out a lot and I thought this was the best dining and food experience we have had in SD. We ordered several small plates and all were inventive, interesting and delicious. Just the write amount of pop to each bursting flavors. The wine list was amazing. Our waiter, Michael, was engaging and knowledgeable. Even the receptionists added to this extremely pleasurable outing. Don't' miss the biscuits!Special Features:
- Some disappointmentMInaDined on 11/9/2014Overall experience was positive and delicious. Service, presentation and ambiance were extraordinary. Appetizers were innovative and remarkably delicious. Steak entree was chewy and lacked good balance of vegetables, sauce and fat. Grain vegetarian entree was pretty basic. Lamb was excellent. Desserts were the weakest part of the experience, with the small malt balls distracting from natural dessert flavors and textures. The chocolate cake and the apple tart had only basic flavors and seemed overly-deconstructed. The chefs have so many abilities, but destroyed dessert with molecular gastronomy so much that it made me wish I hadn't ordered a dessert, and instead went out to another cafe for a real dessert.Special Features:
- PSJeffVIPDined on 11/9/2014Dinner was great, portions were a little small for cost. Overall it was very nice and enjoyed it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EileenVIPDined on 11/7/2014Our best dining experience we have had in San Diego in years!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dinner with friendsjimandmacDined on 11/7/2014Dinner was amazing, the staff was outstanding. They were very menu knowledge was top shelf. The knew every item and the best pairings. This resturant is on the top of my list to revisit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best find in Little Italy San DiegothoughtforfoodDined on 11/7/2014I expect this restaurant to be the "go to place for dining" in San Diego. Such an innovative menu and well executed. Service was spectacular food perfectly timed after cocktails......never felt rushed. The restaurant and bar were alive with diners and drinkers! The ambiance was fabulous........Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Third time is a charm?luv2dineDined on 11/7/2014This was my third visit to this restaurant mainly because of the small plate food selections, which are unique and delicious. However, despite arriving 10 minutes early, my husband were seated in the bar for 20 minutes and had to remind the receptionist that we were still there. The noise level is also very high and difficult to talk over when the restaurant is full of customers. Lastly, be prepared for a sizeable bill at the end of your evening, since, as they say, you get what you pay for if you can afford it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ProfessionalpedroDined on 11/6/2014You want a wonderfully executed dining experience, you won't be disappointed here. Uni, albacore, crudo toast, ahi are all winners.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Details!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/5/2014This is my third time to Juniper and Ivy and I have to say each time I go the service seems to go down hill but the food seems to get better. It was a special occasion as it was my partners birthday. The big reason we came was for the wine. We had reserved two Wireless name: 2wire705 Key: 5309613141 of wine as it is his favorite wine there. They failed to pay attention to the reservation. It would have been fine and they did certainly make up for it but the attitude from the server was a bit much in the beginning. Next to us was another birthday. It was a large party as well as we had 10 in our party but they had 6 and disturbed the entire place with large screams.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another amazing meal!ReymansdDined on 11/5/2014I had friends visiting from Chicago, and they wanted to have a nice dinner out on their last day in town. I knew Juniper and Ivy was sure to deliver. My friends were more than impressed by their evening. As huge fans of Top Chef, they were thrilled that the chef was there that evening, and from the wine selection to the small plates we chose through the entrees, everything was spot on. One ordered the 1 lb. steak and declared it one of the best he had ever had. I decided to ask for the "secret" burger, after eyeing it jealously during previous visits -- so happy it was still available! Absolutely delicious, although I would have been happy with one patty - having two was a little hard to manuever.Special Features:
- Recommend & would returnTable4U2Dined on 11/5/2014We always get outstanding service which is really nice. We love the valet parking at only $5 its worth every penny! The food is usually very good but my veggies were under cooked and it was my main course - the waiter offered to have them tossed back on the grille but being very hungry I wanted to keep my plate to eat the rest rather than wait. If you like your veggies on the softer side, I wouldn't hesitate to ask the waiter/waitress as you order your meal... they are very happy to please. Overall another good night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingSbertaVIPDined on 11/3/2014This is my new favorite place! The food was absolutely incredible and I cannot wait to go back! The staff, and every single part of my experience there was perfect!!Special Features:
- Creative dining adventureGourmeteaterDined on 11/3/2014Fits the bill for a more creative, artistic dining experience. Food is tasty and tastefully served. Great place for trying new creations and concentrating on tasting. Lots of great choices and combinations. Dessert area a bit thin especially for chocolate lovers. Service is fast and pleasant. Noise level is tough. Cannot easily carry on a conversation. Large crowd suggests success but you feel you need to eat fast and move on.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expected great, only so-soChulaVistaDinerDined on 11/3/2014Service was extremely slow and after our food was served almost non existent. We had Octopus Toast which was good, my wife had the Butternut Squash Soup and that was good. For entrees, we both had the Baja Sea Bass which was only ok. When we made our reservations we mentioned that we would be celebrating a birthday and a wedding anniversary. Evidently, they do not celebrate anything. For the price, the experience was not very good.Special Features:
- Disappointing return visitOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/3/2014An hour's wait despite a reservation. Food was mediocre and prices high considering no vegetables or even bread served. Service slow.Special Features:
- Lively and Funfoodies4lifeDined on 11/1/2014Great date night restaurant! Great food, excellent service, and a wonderful wine selection! Lots of fun!Special Features:
- Skip the entree!suzyluvsdiningoutDined on 11/1/2014I loved all the small plates we ordered (4) in all and absolutely LOVED the yodel dessert! Didn't really care for either expensive fish entrees (sea bass and shark)Special Features:
- definitely overpriceddatenightDined on 11/1/2014we had the linguini with only sauce and clams for $22 it was way over priced and it wasn't that much and it really wasn't that excitingand for having a city which has a lot of really find local IP a there wasn't a local IPA on there and you could really showcase local beeras many restaurants as there are in the area we found another restaurant down the street which was way better value and better foodSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/1/2014Loved everything about the restaurant. Food was great, service was great, bar was great. Will be back there soonSpecial Features:
- Terrific food!MacdewVIPDined on 10/31/2014Seriously, we just absolutely loved everything we ordered! The best was the carpaccio. But everything was great! I just wish it was a bit more quiet and less hurried. Looking forward to dining again to see if it was just a very busy weekend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.