12 East 31st Street
New York, NY 10016Neighborhood:
Gramercy / Flatiron
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://juninyc.com/
- Phone: 212-995-8599x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday-Friday: 12:00pm - 2:30pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Shaun Hergatt
- Dress Code: Jacket Preferred
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wine
A word from Juni
Juni is Chef Shaun Hergatt’s boutique restaurant celebrating the height of the season, within Manhattan’s Hotel Chandler [12 East 31st Street]. An intimate affair between the guest and the chef, the 50-seat restaurant offers a seasonally evolving menu showcasing the bounty of the harvest and ingredients when they are at their freshest and finest. Juni derives its name from the Latin word for “June,” the heart of the season.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
Juni reviews from OpenTable diners
173 reviews since June 28, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelQuiet
fit for foodies (147)special occasion (120)romantic (89)notable wine list (57)neighborhood gem (40)great for lunch (34)hot spot (21)good for groups (10)late-night find (4)kid-friendly (4)great for brunch (2)vibrant bar scene (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- OutstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/22/2014This was among the finest dining experiences we have had.Special Features:
- Juni magicOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 10/22/2014A wonderful evening, all was deserving of the recent Michelin star, only area to improve would be to tone down the amuse bouche parade...6 was too many, and a few were downright odd. Other wise a perfect evening, and also kudos to the sommelier who was friendly and very helpful with selecting just the right bottle. Fun also to (slyly) watch the guy at a table next door present his love with an engagement ring!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Meal - Michelin WorthyOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/22/2014My wife and I had dinner here this past week for our anniversary. From the amuse bouche, to the final dish, we were impressed with the service, the plating, and the delicate and unique flavor pairings emanating from the creative entrees. Each dish resulted in a little, 'oh wow, taste this' as my wife and i shared the 6 course tasting menu. We believe that the price point, the service and the outstanding attention to detail elevates Juni to one of the top tier establishments within NYC. Given our previous dining experiences at many of the 3, 2 and 1 star Michelin rated restaurants in NYC, we would say Juni is worthy of its place within the revered listing of top restaurants.Special Features:
- fantasticaspiringfoodcriticDined on 10/20/2014food was fantastic again-keep up the superb work. sublime.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/20/2014The most beautiful meal I ever had. Could have used more texture on the salmon dish. Pork belly was not great. but dessert was divine.Special Features:
- A treatBonApetit787VIPDined on 10/17/2014This is truly a special occasion restaurant-- The menu items are unique and delicious and the pass around items the restaurant serves before the appetizers are quite inventive. Come celebreate at Juni-- especially if someone else is paying!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointingtrav61Dined on 10/16/2014We had high expectations for our tasting lunch at Juni but unfortunately these were not met. The first course looked beautiful with great texture but lacked flavour. 3 courses and the wine pairing were excellent. For dessert we received 2 different dishes one was excellent but the other appeared to be a selection of sorbet - nice but did not match up to the rest of the menu and is not ideal if you don't want to swap desserts mid course. The waiter explained they like to give you different desserts to make it more interesting. It felt more like an excuse for something that had gone wrong. We felt rushed with the credit card receipt being taken as soon as signed.Special Features:
- Our best dinner in NYSwedeGourmetDined on 10/15/2014Very high quality of food and wine for a good price, starting off with a series of very nice complimentary appetizers. Very nice chocolate desert with stout ice cream, but the espresso afterwards could be better. Still, highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Interesting, great flavorskodiakrDined on 10/11/2014The canapes, plus the courses -- great selection of flavors. Some of the dishes were wonderful, some ok. Wine selection not so much. Worth going, especially for a first time as special experience.Special Features:
- It is worth some improvementsLovefoodDined on 10/11/2014The food was good but the ambiance is not so pleasant.the lights are wrong and the colors are a little sad. The service is chaotic and too many people - mostly men - walking around. My guest said they look more like body guards...
- LovesreallygoodfoodLovesreallygoodfoodVIPDined on 10/10/2014My husband and I went to Juni for a special occasion and while the Food was really delicious, and the presentation beautiful, the decor and ambience left much to be desired. While the restaurant is in a hotel, it felt like a hotel dining room. There was nothing that made it feel or look special. The crowd was somewhat unattractive. While men were required to wear jackets, there were women in "flip flops" and casual attire. The service was very good, but regularly interrupted our conversation. I'd spend the $ and go elsewhere.Special Features:
- Trying but not quite thereNYCfoodieVIPDined on 10/10/2014I had read many wonderful reviews about the restaurant and was so excited to try it out. Starting with the positives: Desserts were outstanding - the best part of the evening’s chef tasting menu. The peekytoe crab, foie gras, & kale and spinach soup with pork belly were standouts. Ambience was lovely - quiet, down to earth environment. Cocktails were delicious. The service needs an overhaul. We waited nearly 15 min for someone - anyone to come over & at least give us some bread or tell us about the menu. The service from beginning to end was sporadic & rather sloppy. Chef Hergatt has a great deal of talent. A small number of the dishes are misses, but you can tell there is the faint glimmer of a culinary master at work.
- absolutly fantastic!eaterVIPDined on 10/10/2014one of the best meals I've had. this place is well on their way to 3 michelin stars! no doubt!!Special Features:
- Better than the rave reviewsMantolokingVIPDined on 10/10/2014We found this on Trip Advisor. The experience far exceeded the stellar reviews. Perfect sized portions at reasonable prices. The service was spot on. The plates were so lovely we noticed patrons taking photos. A definite come back to in a City with so many choices. Innovative, light, creative.Special Features:
- excellentanonDined on 10/10/2014There was not a disappointing bite from any of the plates. We appreciated the quiet and the service. Lunch at Juni put us in such great mood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of my top 3 meals everNewamloverDined on 10/9/2014elegant intimate setting. Beautiful presentation of all dishes, and backed up by fresh, unique and delicious combinations of flavored. Impeccable service. Pricy but completely worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellence Risingvindetable44Dined on 10/9/2014A visit for lunch recently was stunning. The muted decor is quite relaxing. Tables well spaced. The food is very much three star (Michelin) quality. On the lunch menu was a salmon course that turned out to be transcendental. No boring farm raised grilled salmon here. Fatty meat from the belly of the salmon was like Kobe steak of the fish world. Tender, intensely flavorful and melted in your mouth. A lovely Sauvignon Blanc from one of the outer boroughs of Burgundy was a perfect match. It is clear the one Michelin star earned this year is temporary.Special Features:
- Simply wondrousHungryAdamsDined on 10/8/2014I don't know how I missed this restaurant, but I am glad I finally found it. The meal rates as one of the best I ever had, and I have had quite a few! The service was impeccable. I worried a little when I saw the menu and didn't quite understand any of the dishes, but the waiter was more than generous with us and explained everything. They also explained the dishes when they arrive. I felt both appreciated and educated. We had wonderful wines and very good cocktails whose recipe I am sure to steal. I can hardly wait to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best meal EVERFairfieldFoodieDined on 10/4/2014Went to Juni to celebrate my 35th birthday. And if I can share a lesson I've learned in my 30's it's this: YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. This was the most I had ever spent on a meal, and it was worth every penny! Every morsel was intensely amazing. Even the wine was the smoothest I'd ever drank! We did the six-course tasting menu, and let me tell you, we couldn't finish dessert. The six courses of amuse-bouche that start the meal had us giggling, as we had never had such a fancy dinner, but boy, this chef knows the chemistry of an amazing meal! Service was outstanding, too; If I took a sip of water, a waiter was there to top me off. Simply spectacular, and a guaranteed fabulous meal!Special Features:
- Great and exciting food!RooneyDined on 10/2/2014Really great and exciting gourmet food. A lot of new and interesting tastes. If you love tasting menus and explore new tastes, this is a place to visit. We got 4 or 5 delicious appetizers besides the tasting menu - really good and a nice surprise. Maybe not the most welcoming entrance, it's through a hotel lobby, but when you enter the actual restaurant I think it was simple and nice. We had a great time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Innovative, interesting, delicious!JeninNyVIPDined on 10/2/2014We had the 10 course Chef's tasting menu with reserve pairings. Chef Shaun put up a journey of creative, emotion-invoking, beautiful tastes and dishes. We loved that he came out to chat with us a couple of times about the food, his passion and love for his craft is obvious. The wine pairings were spot-on and just as unique and interesting as the food. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MARVELOUS JUNImkd1964Dined on 10/1/2014I had a most excellent lunch at Juni's. I am over from London and I have to say that Juni matches, even passes, any Michelin starred establishment I have had the pleasure to dine in worldwide. Fabulous. I shall be dining at Juni's whenever I get the opportunity to be in New York.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Juni - A wonderful experienceghiottoneVIPDined on 9/27/2014This was a great place to celebrate our thirteenth wedding anniversary. Impeccable service, from the hostess to our waiter to the sommelier, and all the attendant staff. Delicious and interesting food: The Chef is clever and amazing, with pairing of ingredients to create special creations that are both gorgeous and delectable. And you begin your meal with 5 or 6 wonderful amuse bouche, each of which were a surprise treat. Great ambience, wonderful experience. We will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great....but.....Angel4FoodVIPDined on 9/27/2014We had a lovely time at Juni. The atmosphere, ambiance, and food were wonderful. The only compliant we had was when we went to order. You could get a 4, 6, or 10 piece tasting menu. There were three people in our party and we decided that two of us would have the 6 piece and one person who doesn't eat as much would have the four piece menu. As we began our orders the waiter stopped us and told us that we all had to order the same amount of tastings. No big deal I guess but we had to go back to the drawing board to find two more items to eat and quite frankly it was two much for the person that was required to order more food. All in all it was a lovely evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good choiceAdnanDined on 9/26/2014i like the fusion very clean presentation of the dishes great food perfect serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- VERY SPECIALZorbaVIPDined on 9/24/2014Special and refined. Friendly and professional. 7 incredibly flavored small bite courses preceded dinner choices. Every single dish was exquisite and deftly prepared. Perfectly balanced food is so appreciated. Chef clearly is a student of the science of food and flavors. Wonderful, non stuffy service and wine service as well. Brilliant!Special Features:
- Better the first timeOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 9/22/2014Several months ago, I had the pleasure of dining at Juni. The food was delicious, the service fantastic and an overall pleasure. As such, I came back to Juni with the expectations of a similar experience. However, it was the complete opposite. The food was average w/ plates being cooked to early and left on the heating pad, which made the dish over-cooked. Other dishes were just off-temp. On the service, the waiters screwed up the order of the courses being served so some at the table had their entrees when others were dining on their appetizers. Instead of stepping up as other Tier 1 places do and offering a remedy, they just shrugged it off. Maybe it was just a Monday and the 'B' team was there, but I'll likely bring my business elsewhere
- Incredible Foodie ExperienceJJ1019Dined on 9/20/2014Some of the most creative and whimsical food we have experienced in all of our travels...a must try! The restaurant itself is quite traditional and "dry" in contrast to the menu and chefs creativity.... Wonder what would happen here if the interior atmosphere was as interesting as the food?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Was is Best NYC but now standerd!HisabonDined on 9/20/2014All Chang disappointed !Was is best American but now standard! All dish nothing special ,very small difficult to find what we eat！All material not fresh. Standard level.Special Features:
- Elegant diningSuzieDined on 9/20/2014The East 30's, once a food wasteland, has become a hot bed of fine dining. Leading the pack is Juni. The food is inventive, interesting, and most important, delicious. The service is attentive without being trying. The menu, with no a la carte selections, offers sufficient choices to please everyone. A particular favorite was the candy apple holding a rich surprise, and the crab and corn appetizer. Everything was perfect and I will be recommending Juni to friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's a wow!christineVIPDined on 9/19/2014The four course tasting menu offers an incredible mix of wonderfully prepared and presented food. The amuse-bouches were inventive both in their taste and presentation.Special Features:
- Spectacular in every regard.threecrayonsVIPDined on 9/18/2014Lunch was amazing as always. Started with the spot prawns which was quietly beautiful, like Grace Kelly in her younger years. The hanger steak was cooked and seasoned perfectly. The deserts are excellent. This is an excellent introduction to Chef Hergatt's food. Dinner is magic, and the ten course tasting is worth every dime. Exceptional food, exceptional service.Special Features:
- gegandcoVIPDined on 9/17/2014Ethereal cuisine...It is an scintillating EXPERIENCE!Special Features:
- phenomenal foodie treasureSallySVIPDined on 9/16/2014This was a treat from beginning to delicious end! Order 4 or 6 courses but they serve 6 or 8 bites that are outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Splendid, splendid, splendidTaShihDined on 9/15/2014We enjoyed lunch at Juni recently and the food was some of the best I've had anywhere in the world. The lunch prix fixe is an incomparable value....would have been double anywhere else in NY and triple in Paris. Our server seemed overly formal. The Chef, on the other hand, set exactly the right tone of confident ease and his visit to our table was much appreciated. We can't wait to come back for dinner!Special Features:
- Delightful in every way!LouiseCDined on 9/13/2014We enjoyed a wonderful meal at Juni and will definitely be back next time we're in town. Every single mouthful of food was exquisite and each plate was served with such care and attention to detail. The presentation of the food was gorgeous, every plate a work of art. Wines offered by the glass were a perfect complement. Service was impeccable without being in the least bit stuffy or pretentious. A real treat and very highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodieCPwiseVIPDined on 9/13/2014Juni was a very nice discovery, we had the four course dinner, for me it was the correct amount of food, you can choose either two appetizers and one main dish or one appetizer and two main dishes and then the dessert. They were very well made with a great combination of flavors and textures and you can bring your bottle for a corkage fee of 50 USD, we had a great time. Highly reccomendedSpecial Features:
- Utterly Superb!InthetradeDined on 9/12/2014I really don't want to write too much here, as it may spoil the surprises. The restaurant is small, but the service very personable. The wine list is extensive, with many bottles at a reasonable price. The quality and originality of the food on offer, utilising what is seasonal, was truly great. Smart use of ingredients and creatively executed. Superb, and recommended to anyone in New York.Special Features:
- Service qualityL234Dined on 9/12/2014The food was great, the ambiance as well, but the service was really unprofessional. We expect a minimum of knowledge when paying 100$ for a menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not much foodloramVIPDined on 9/11/2014Maybe we should have done more research on the restaurant but it was a strange dining experience. Small portions with unusual combinations. Left hungry.Special Features: