12 East 31st Street
New York, NY 10016Neighborhood:
Gramercy / Flatiron
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://juninyc.com/
- Phone: (212) 995-8599
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday-Friday: 12:00pm - 2:30pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Shaun Hergatt
- Dress Code: Jacket Preferred
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wine
A word from Juni
Juni is Chef Shaun Hergatt’s boutique restaurant celebrating the height of the season, within Manhattan’s Hotel Chandler [12 East 31st Street]. An intimate affair between the guest and the chef, the 50-seat restaurant offers a seasonally evolving menu showcasing the bounty of the harvest and ingredients when they are at their freshest and finest. Juni derives its name from the Latin word for “June,” the heart of the season.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Juni reviews from OpenTable diners
175 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelQuiet
fit for foodies (148)special occasion (121)romantic (91)notable wine list (61)great for lunch (33)neighborhood gem (32)hot spot (20)good for groups (12)kid-friendly (3)late-night find (3)vibrant bar scene (1)scenic view (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Foodie HeavenUESFoodieDined on 11/19/2014One of the best restaurants in the city (the cuisine rivals that of Daniel, Bouley and Le Bernardin, but in a more understated setting with no attitude) and one of the best kept secrets in the city, but not for long, so run to eat here before it becomes impossible to get a reservation. The most gorgeous presentation of food you have ever seen. Inventive and innovative use of ingredients. Exceptional gracious service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EXCEPTIONAL IN EVERY WAYTravelJunkieVIPDined on 11/15/2014We chose to celebrate my birthday at Juni and it couldn't have been more special! This was our third visit and it's a revelation every time. Service is impeccable and the team is warm and inviting. They all signed a card for my birthday which was a lovely touch. We had the chef's tasting with the premium wine pairings. It was one of the best meals of our lives and we dine out often at top restaurants all over the world. Shaun is a true genius and exceedingly congenial, the food is innovative without being odd, every bite is sublime. The wine pairing was brilliant, marrying perfectly with the food. The room is understated elegance putting the focus on the divine food. Servings, both food and wine, were generous. We've already made our next reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not a 1 star for longjohnniedDined on 11/15/2014Juni is a one michelin star restaurant, Which will in time be at least 2 star if not 3 star in the future. The canapes were very clever and tasted really good and had an element of suprise in most. It was quiet yet busy inside the restaurant, and service was friendly and professional. The dishes were beautifully presented, And beautifully tasting and explained in good depth by the service team. The wine tasting went well with the menu and had some good quality wines and some interesting inclusions. The service team were very formal and i know in modern restaurants they try to make an effort to be more informal nowadays but i like tradition within a restaurant. I would definitely go again in the future, if i can get a table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, but needs some tweaksmikeVIPDined on 11/13/2014This was all-in-all a good dining experience. Compared to many other fine dining choices in NYC, the tasting menu is actually very reasonable in price. My wife and I both selected the 4 course meal with wine pairing; with all the extras, it was more than enough. Service and Decor: The service is really spot on. Warm and welcoming without being fussy. The decor needs tweaking. Too much gray! They were going for chic, but it comes across as drab; a few splashes of color could make all the difference. Food: The four amuse bouche served were all very yummy. Each of the courses was very well prepared, but some were much better than others. Pork and millet? Yum, bring a bucket of it, please! Really excellent. Corn and crab? Very one note and not very interesting. Same goes with the lobster (which was $10 supp). The lobster was well prepared, but the dish didn't sing. Subtle is fine, but it needs contrast and to work with the natural flavors of the crab or lobster. Besides the pork and millet, the other star of the night was the veal. Excellent cut and perfectly cooked. Wine: The white wines were all very nice, but the reds need rethinking. The pinot noir served with pork and millet was too hot (i.e. too much alcohol) and the Napa Cab was a terrible choice for the veal; the tannins and oak dominated the natural sweetness of the veal. Sommeliers in America need to stop using Napa Cab as the go to wine for every red meat dish. Overall: The service, along with the food for value, make this a place to consider.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enter with your gas tank FullOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/11/2014I appreciate excellent food, but maybe I'm just not "foodie-certified." When I order my main entree , the halibut, and it comes to the table in a perfect, though slimy disc 1/8 inch tall topped evenly with a medium (not large or jumbo) poached shrimp, I am more than mildly irritated. Not to mention going home hungry. This is unacceptable. It's all the same with the other entrees, though not so delightfully described. Foodies: You really need to remake your identity.Special Features:
- OutstandingDebbieMDined on 11/8/2014I took my husband here for his birthday this past weekend and we both had the chef tasting. It was approximately 20 small plates ,and each was superb. The meal was not only delicious, but the plating was stunning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good value for innovative cuisineCarolynSVIPDined on 11/7/2014The four course tasting menu for $90 is good value for a special night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Such a lovely experience!bottomlessbellyDined on 11/7/2014We came here to celebrate my boyfriend's 21st birthday and we both had a really wonderful time. The service was exceptional, the waiters were so attentive and my it sure seems like their every move was a performance. We came for the 10 course chef's tasting and everything was simply a delight. We were impressed by the way every course was presented down to the taste. Would recommend to try it! I've also noted in the reservation that we were coming for a birthday celebration and they had a card with birthday wishes presented on the table signed by, I would assume, those that work at Juni. It was very sweet.Special Features:
- great lunch!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/6/2014We had lunch and it was simply perfect: the food was awesome, the service was very good, the place was quiet. The glass of wine's prize is expensive (+/- 16$)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A wonderful journey through foodFoodislifeDined on 11/5/2014First, Juni is beautiful. The design of the space is warm and welcoming yet formal. The food is also beautiful, each dish plated with care. It is often said we eat with our eyes and This chef believes and uses it beautifully. Food can't just look good and Juni scores again. Beach dish was perfectly seasoned and honored the ingredients. Truly wonderful eating experiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- perfectAlexDined on 11/4/2014Great & original experience not heavy or pretentiousSpecial Features:
- AMAZING!Luv2EatVIPDined on 11/3/2014Food is an art at this establishment. The service was impeccable and the food and presentation was perfectly executed for each and every dish. An explosion of flavors for the taste buds. Highly recommend!Special Features:
- Sophisticated food and serviceSLWX2Dined on 11/1/2014This was a dining adventure with food as beautiful to look at as delicious it was to eat. The portions are small but we didn't leave hungry at all. We also had to make theater and the staff ensured we had the complete experience without feeling rushed yet they got us out on time. Highly recommend for a unique and special experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sit by the door cold wind you getVelafjordDined on 10/31/2014Make a reservation and specify seats in the inner roomSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful, beyond my expectationslinrr22Dined on 10/30/2014Booked it for my birthday weekend in NYC. It was very expensive and we knew that, it exceeded our expectations. We had the four course and that was plenty since they must have served 5 different small bites prior to our order. I even commented on the final sweet treats and the server gave me a small box to take with me!! Loved this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wow, one of NYC BestGpDiningVIPDined on 10/29/2014Creatively crafted, exquisitely presented, but mostly a celebration for our taste buds. Should be recommended for a 2nd Michelin starSpecial Features:
- Delicious Dining ExperienceFoiegrasluvaVIPDined on 10/27/2014This was my second time dining here and it was even better than the first. I was celebrating my friend's birthday and the staff of Juni made it very special. The food was amazing and yummy and the presentation was beautiful. Chef Shaun stopped by our table and we had a lovely conversation with him. I will be back in two weeks to enjoy this great restaurant again.Special Features:
- Exquisite from start to finishMeguroDined on 10/25/2014Starting at the bar with a wonderful cocktail, we were set for a delightful night. The waitstaff were attentive, pleasant and knowledgable, and efficient. Loved every course, and the idea that you can choose your own options within the degustation menu allowed each of our friends to cater to their own tastes, and look longingly at other options to try another time! We chose the 6 courses, however as we had a late sitting (9pm) I felt that the 4 course option would have been just right. There are several small canapés added in before the meal even begins. Flavours were full, ingredients were fresh and interesting. Would go back in a heartbeat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun discoveriesHolaVIPDined on 10/25/2014No need to travel through time, the Chef will let you explore your deepest memories. With daring combinations and concentrated flavors the tasting became testing, the presentation were telling you little stories and the dining experience was captivating! It was fun and refreshing to go to this restaurant and get surprised by a great menu. Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- special eveningluvdiningoutVIPDined on 10/25/2014Loved the relaxed atmosphere of this restaurant. We felt comfortable and welcome. Service was prompt, but no one hovered. We enjoyed the 4-course meal, which was preceded by 5 amuses. Basil panna cotta was luscious! Veal dish was excellent. Chef Shaun has very creative ideas ... stout ice cream! Our meal was delicious and our experience was memorable. We came away from our evening feeling it was a culinary event.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing….EpicuriousDined on 10/24/2014We had the 6 course tasting menu, and quite frankly, the food was bland and does not at all have the standards of other Michelin one star restaurants. The amuse-bouche were too small and lacked originality and the way they were served was so pretentious! - Really? a soaked tree life, with no flavor, not even salt? What is the point? Scallops were ok, nothing worth raving about; the crab with sweet corn coulis was bland, tasted like corn Campbells soup; the lamb was ok, nothing special and the same can be said for the desert. Summing up: if you have any gastronomic culture, I believe that Juni is not for you. You will get a better meal at any unpretentious bistro.
- Fabulous night!DD2001Dined on 10/22/2014Loved Juni. Great place to celebrate a special occasion. Amazing attention to detail. Everything was delicious. I will be going back next trip to New York.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/22/2014This was among the finest dining experiences we have had.Special Features:
- Juni magicOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 10/22/2014A wonderful evening, all was deserving of the recent Michelin star, only area to improve would be to tone down the amuse bouche parade...6 was too many, and a few were downright odd. Other wise a perfect evening, and also kudos to the sommelier who was friendly and very helpful with selecting just the right bottle. Fun also to (slyly) watch the guy at a table next door present his love with an engagement ring!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Meal - Michelin WorthySFtransplantVIPDined on 10/22/2014My wife and I had dinner here this past week for our anniversary. From the amuse bouche, to the final dish, we were impressed with the service, the plating, and the delicate and unique flavor pairings emanating from the creative entrees. Each dish resulted in a little, 'oh wow, taste this' as my wife and i shared the 6 course tasting menu. We believe that the price point, the service and the outstanding attention to detail elevates Juni to one of the top tier establishments within NYC. Given our previous dining experiences at many of the 3, 2 and 1 star Michelin rated restaurants in NYC, we would say Juni is worthy of its place within the revered listing of top restaurants.Special Features:
- fantasticaspiringfoodcriticDined on 10/20/2014food was fantastic again-keep up the superb work. sublime.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- backinNYCDined on 10/20/2014The most beautiful meal I ever had. Could have used more texture on the salmon dish. Pork belly was not great. but dessert was divine.Special Features:
- A treatBonApetit787VIPDined on 10/17/2014This is truly a special occasion restaurant-- The menu items are unique and delicious and the pass around items the restaurant serves before the appetizers are quite inventive. Come celebreate at Juni-- especially if someone else is paying!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointingtrav61Dined on 10/16/2014We had high expectations for our tasting lunch at Juni but unfortunately these were not met. The first course looked beautiful with great texture but lacked flavour. 3 courses and the wine pairing were excellent. For dessert we received 2 different dishes one was excellent but the other appeared to be a selection of sorbet - nice but did not match up to the rest of the menu and is not ideal if you don't want to swap desserts mid course. The waiter explained they like to give you different desserts to make it more interesting. It felt more like an excuse for something that had gone wrong. We felt rushed with the credit card receipt being taken as soon as signed.Special Features:
- Our best dinner in NYSwedeGourmetDined on 10/15/2014Very high quality of food and wine for a good price, starting off with a series of very nice complimentary appetizers. Very nice chocolate desert with stout ice cream, but the espresso afterwards could be better. Still, highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Interesting, great flavorskodiakrDined on 10/11/2014The canapes, plus the courses -- great selection of flavors. Some of the dishes were wonderful, some ok. Wine selection not so much. Worth going, especially for a first time as special experience.Special Features:
- It is worth some improvementsLovefoodDined on 10/11/2014The food was good but the ambiance is not so pleasant.the lights are wrong and the colors are a little sad. The service is chaotic and too many people - mostly men - walking around. My guest said they look more like body guards...
- LovesreallygoodfoodLovesreallygoodfoodVIPDined on 10/10/2014My husband and I went to Juni for a special occasion and while the Food was really delicious, and the presentation beautiful, the decor and ambience left much to be desired. While the restaurant is in a hotel, it felt like a hotel dining room. There was nothing that made it feel or look special. The crowd was somewhat unattractive. While men were required to wear jackets, there were women in "flip flops" and casual attire. The service was very good, but regularly interrupted our conversation. I'd spend the $ and go elsewhere.Special Features:
- Trying but not quite thereNYCfoodieVIPDined on 10/10/2014I had read many wonderful reviews about the restaurant and was so excited to try it out. Starting with the positives: Desserts were outstanding - the best part of the evening’s chef tasting menu. The peekytoe crab, foie gras, & kale and spinach soup with pork belly were standouts. Ambience was lovely - quiet, down to earth environment. Cocktails were delicious. The service needs an overhaul. We waited nearly 15 min for someone - anyone to come over & at least give us some bread or tell us about the menu. The service from beginning to end was sporadic & rather sloppy. Chef Hergatt has a great deal of talent. A small number of the dishes are misses, but you can tell there is the faint glimmer of a culinary master at work.
- absolutly fantastic!eaterVIPDined on 10/10/2014one of the best meals I've had. this place is well on their way to 3 michelin stars! no doubt!!Special Features:
- Better than the rave reviewsMantolokingVIPDined on 10/10/2014We found this on Trip Advisor. The experience far exceeded the stellar reviews. Perfect sized portions at reasonable prices. The service was spot on. The plates were so lovely we noticed patrons taking photos. A definite come back to in a City with so many choices. Innovative, light, creative.Special Features:
- excellentanonDined on 10/10/2014There was not a disappointing bite from any of the plates. We appreciated the quiet and the service. Lunch at Juni put us in such great mood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of my top 3 meals everNewamloverDined on 10/9/2014elegant intimate setting. Beautiful presentation of all dishes, and backed up by fresh, unique and delicious combinations of flavored. Impeccable service. Pricy but completely worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellence Risingvindetable44Dined on 10/9/2014A visit for lunch recently was stunning. The muted decor is quite relaxing. Tables well spaced. The food is very much three star (Michelin) quality. On the lunch menu was a salmon course that turned out to be transcendental. No boring farm raised grilled salmon here. Fatty meat from the belly of the salmon was like Kobe steak of the fish world. Tender, intensely flavorful and melted in your mouth. A lovely Sauvignon Blanc from one of the outer boroughs of Burgundy was a perfect match. It is clear the one Michelin star earned this year is temporary.Special Features:
- Simply wondrousHungryAdamsDined on 10/8/2014I don't know how I missed this restaurant, but I am glad I finally found it. The meal rates as one of the best I ever had, and I have had quite a few! The service was impeccable. I worried a little when I saw the menu and didn't quite understand any of the dishes, but the waiter was more than generous with us and explained everything. They also explained the dishes when they arrive. I felt both appreciated and educated. We had wonderful wines and very good cocktails whose recipe I am sure to steal. I can hardly wait to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.