12 East 31st Street
New York, NY 10016Neighborhood:
Gramercy / Flatiron
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://juninyc.com/
- Phone: (212) 995-8599
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday-Friday: 12:00pm - 2:30pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Shaun Hergatt
- Dress Code: Jacket Preferred
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wine
A word from Juni
Juni is Chef Shaun Hergatt’s boutique restaurant celebrating the height of the season, within Manhattan’s Hotel Chandler [12 East 31st Street]. An intimate affair between the guest and the chef, the 50-seat restaurant offers a seasonally evolving menu showcasing the bounty of the harvest and ingredients when they are at their freshest and finest. Juni derives its name from the Latin word for “June,” the heart of the season.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Juni reviews from OpenTable diners
176 reviews since July 28, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelQuiet
fit for foodies (148)special occasion (122)romantic (91)notable wine list (61)great for lunch (33)neighborhood gem (32)hot spot (20)good for groups (12)kid-friendly (3)late-night find (3)vibrant bar scene (1)scenic view (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- One of the best in NYCthreecrayonsVIPDined on 8/13/2014Quite possibly one of the best dining experiences in NYC. Do the 10 course, it's an incredible value. It starts with 8 canapés, 10 courses and a mignardise course. Service is quite good, and the wine list is excellent, be sure to take advantage of the excellent sommelier. We had a couple lower priced bottles that melted our faces off. This is 2 or 3 Michelin star food.Special Features:
- amazing mealMikedmtlVIPDined on 8/11/2014I just loved my experience at Juni. It is certainly one of the best meals I had this year. The food was perfect and the service amazing.thanks to the team thereSpecial Features:
- Best in ManhattanOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/11/2014Food and service are outstanding. If Juni does not receive at least 2 Michelin stars come October I will be shocked. Best Chef in New York.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very entertaining mealSaxmanVIPDined on 8/9/2014The dining rooms are very luxurious as are the servers. The restaurant is in a hotel and has on old world feel. But the food is not old world. My wife had a 5 course tasting meal and I had a 5 course (apple) tasting meal. The food is creatively fashioned and served on a variety of objects including rocks. The food presentation is a grand comical show. I think they are trying to make fun of the 1%. IF you have some extra cash and are looking for a very different experience in New York then run to Juni.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful dining experiencePhillyPhoodieVIPDined on 8/8/2014I have never rated a restaurant on Open Table before but I was compelled to rate Juni. It was an wonderful dining experience from the amazing food, presentation, service and ambiance. I highly recommend!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just ridiculously goodImeanitmanDined on 8/8/2014Stopped by at Juni tonight for a quick supper to celebrate the restaurant’s one year anniversary. AS ALWAYS, “just an app” rapidly unpacked into a full dinner. And, AS ALWAYS, it was fantastic. Chef Hergatt's cooking, classical and modern at the same time, is an extraordinary highwire act, and as a diner I feel privileged to get a front row seat. Brillat-Savarin said that the discovery of a new dish does more for the happiness of mankind than the discovery of a new star; I wonder what he would’ve made of Juni, a place where over the last year I’ve discovered a hundred new dishes that have certainly made me happier than the discovery of vast galaxies of stars ever could. Thanks, Chef. It’s been a hell of a year - see you Tuesday for lunch!Special Features:
- 2nd times as good as the firstjeffgtiVIPDined on 8/6/2014this was my second visit to Juni and i was not disappointed. the food was outstanding, both creative and delicious. the staff was attentive without being cloying. my only complaint was the pricing of the wine list. i would not call it an extensive list but it did represents all countries and regions. the problem was that every time i found a bottle i wanted to order it was well in excess of $200. it was difficult to find any bottles under $100.Special Features:
- what a treat!BeachfoodieVIPDined on 8/5/2014A birthday celebration for the foodie that i am. Foods appearance couldn't be topped but the tastes were so exceptional. A tiny morsel packed a punch that was unexpected and delightful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just wow!MarmarVIPDined on 8/2/2014Amazing food , amazing service . What a unique experience . Food is so unique and beautiful u just want to sit and look at it . Love love love will go back again over and over . We really enjoyed our night out food . It's a must visit place for a romantic dinner or birthday .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Juni - A Revelation!FoodIsArtVIPDined on 7/29/2014The tasting meal was extraordinary from start to finish - exciting tastes, great variety, so many delicious new combinations. What imagination! From beet "paper" to intense sorbet, from delicate crab to herb-infused veal, each heavenly preparation was evidence of this fantastic chef's creative energy. Bravo! (This is my first review. Juni finally got me to put "pen" to this "paper.")Special Features:
- MarkVIPDined on 7/28/2014Some of the most beautiful and delicious food we have ever tastedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A fabulous fineFirstClassVIPDined on 7/26/2014We were looking for a fabulous place for a special evening. I saw a write up on Juni and we decided to give it a try. It was great decision! This was the first of what I know will be many special evenings at Juni. The dining rooms are elegant and the food is not only creative and beautiful but also most importantly it tastes great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 193 reviews are from the Juni reviews archive.
- What a meal!tonibetVIPDined on 7/25/2014I've eaten in a lot of restaurants in NYC over the past 30 years, but this was one of the best meals I have ever had from start to finish. Everything, including the drinks, was just spectacular.Special Features:
- Do that many dollars make sense?JackAGordonVIPDined on 7/24/2014Truly a dining experience, my second visit to Juni was markedly better than my first -- and the first wans't bad at all. I lost count of the micro amuse bouches at about seven, and the meal that followed was stupendous. We had the chef's tasting menu and, although I am an eonophile in my own right, went with the sommelier's pairings. Stupendous. However, with the food at $120-a-head, the pairing at $140-a-head and tax and tip, that's close to an $800 tab for two. So, do that many dollars make sense? Yes, if you can afford to spend them and you're looking for a break from Per Se, Masa, Bouley, 11 Madison Park, La Grenouille and Brooklyn Fare.Special Features:
- Great Meal OverallOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/23/2014The food was impressive and presented well. The chef even came out and mingled with the guests. My companion had a number of dietary restrictions and the restaurant was able to accomodate all of them. I will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- cardonVIPDined on 7/23/2014best new restaurant in NYC !! This is the 5th time we've been. Outstanding.Special Features:
- At the TopOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/23/2014We had the Chefs Tasting Menu three days after eating at Per Se! It was excellent in every way.I did expect it to be just as good , having remembered meals from SHO.Chef Hergatt even came out and performed a ellaborate presentation for my daughters.It was a wonderful meal with some nice surprise dishes and service as well.Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An amazing experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/22/2014I took my husband to Juni for his birthday. And the experience was awesome. When we arrived, they had a birthday card waiting for him; it had been signed by a lot (all?) of the staff, which was a very unusual and sweet touch. The food was wonderful -- creatively prepared and presented. To start off, they sent us about 6-8 amuse-bouches, each with a fun and unique presentation. We had the six course prix fixe, and enjoyed them all. It ended up being a lot of food but we left happy and not overly stuffed. I highly recommend this restaurant! After a lot of "blah" dining experiences at good NYC restaurants recently, Juni reminded us what a truly top-notch dining experience can be.Special Features:
- A Special Place on EarthTheclamrocksDined on 7/21/2014A restaurant is all about the food in my opinion. However, ambiance and service play a very important role in the dining experience. Juni is by far an outstanding establishment that covers every aspect of a truly spectacular evening. The design is tasteful and elegant. The service is very attentive without hovering. The chef is spot on with his food combinations and layering of flavors. Every dish is well thought out and executed with a fine hand.Special Features:
- Wonderful dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/21/2014The food, ambience and service are wonderful. Every morsel of food was fresh and filled with flavor including the fantastic bread and butter. The combinations of herbs and spices were just amazing. I highly recommend this restaurant for an upscale and exceptional dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent foodkaroDined on 7/18/2014It was a wonderful experience , with outstanding food, service and presentation. The combination of taste was innovative and interesting ... One downside that AC was too strong so if you intend to go in summer take a sweater !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Innovative but maybe pretentiousOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/18/2014I found the dining room too understated and actually somewhat sombre (for my tastes). The service was attentive but not particularly warm. The food was really inventive, the portions were very small -- I had to eat again later (and I'm not a big eater). The chef was in the dining room - chatting with some "important" man (they spent time talking about their mutual friend Robichon - and going on about other pretentious stuff). After he left that table - no smiles etc. at any of the other tables. Last time I went to Eleven Madison Park, Daniel Humm visited every table. I had a lovely quick chat with him. Next time I'll go back to Eleven Madison Park/Jean Georges/The Modern/or Le Bernardin - my experience there have been more genuine.
- Hergatt is at the TopthreecrayonsVIPDined on 7/16/2014The food at Juni is some of the best in NYC. There are only a handful of 3 Michelin star restaurants in NYC, and this should be one of them. this is what I said about EMP when they only had one star. And presto! Food coming out of the kitchen is magic, and most importantly it tastes amazing. The deserts are exceptional as well. These guys are at the top.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply greatnybebbiVIPDined on 7/15/2014I agree with all the previous raving reviews. I have to entertain quite a lot for lunch and I have eaten in many restaurants in Manhattan. This is a true gem which stands out in any respect: Food, service, atmosphere. Enough said: Just try it out for yourself.Special Features:
- Fine diningOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/15/2014Nice fine dining option with creative and approachable food.Special Features:
- Extraordinary ExperienceTravelJunkieVIPDined on 7/12/2014Dining at Juni is an extraordinary experience, from the superb food to the flawless service. Everyone at Juni made us feel like honored guests. The topper on the cake is the brilliant and engaging chef Shaun Hergatt. We've dined at all of the top restaurants in NYC (Per Se, Le Bernardin, Daniel, Jean-Georges, Eleven Madison, etc.) more than once, and in some cases several times, without ever meeting the chefs, but at Juni we met Chef Shaun on both visits and he greeted us warmly on our return and shared his thoughts about his creative process. For us it's mainly about the food, and if it wasn't superb a charismatic chef would not make us rave, but Juni is the real deal - creative delicious food, excellent wine and so much more.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/10/2014Food is outstanding in the mixture of textures, flavors, colors and presentation. Worth dining before it gets known !Special Features:
- What a treat!heathmyVIPDined on 7/8/2014Just enjoyed my third fantastic dinner at Juni. Ambiance is zenlike and each table feels very private. Service is friendly, ultra-professional, and unhurried. The food is magnificent--I am still thinking about the incredible "cherry ripe" foie gras. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- Micro Dining...almost.FEEDbackerDined on 7/4/2014The chef's approach is borderline micro dining. All items are excellent but very small. Some tastes are tiny. We enjoyed many new creations where the chef had developed a new way to present a food or taste that was sometimes, visually unrecognizable and when you tasted it...a surprise. It reminded us of our experience at Geranium in Copenhagen. It is considered one of the top restaurants in the world but is extreme micro dining and not something we expected. I was similarly surprised to find some micro dining at Juni. I think restaurants with extremely creative chefs who are trying to reinvent food, should make that very clear in advance so you will arrive at dinner prepared for a culinary adventure rather than a hearty meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Creative and Deliciousdek116VIPDined on 7/4/2014An amazing meal, beautifully thought out and prepared. One of the best meals I've ever had anywhere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MikeOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/4/2014The food was great. I love the place. This is a good place for family or friends gatherings.Special Features:
- FantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 7/2/2014One of the best. Fabulous art of creation not only visually fantastic, but also tastefull meals, including the entirely vegetarian, light, healthy meals. Perfect service, very comfortable setting. Perfect.Special Features:
- UnsurpassedfeasterVIPDined on 7/1/2014Juni is the only restaurant in Manhattan to which we return regularly. My list of restaurants is ever expanding; not one has been able to come close to the creativity, balance, nuance, intrigue of Juni. Here is a chef who loves to cook and awaken his guests to taste, texture, aroma, presentation; who knows and respects his ingredients; who is playful yet serious. No need for me to recite the marvelous dishes we had. Most will undoubtedly have changed in a subtle way. After the nine months, the cuisine is hitting all high notes. Unfortunately it is too late for Michelin; deserves three stars. The space is serene if not beautiful. As for service, it wouldn't take much for the staff to recognize you had dined there before. Seems basic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply DeliciousJudyHVIPDined on 7/1/2014From the moment you step into Juni you realize that you are in for a very special experience. Amazing designer food using seasonal meat, fish, vegetables and fruit. Truly relaxing and sophisticated dining, topped off by attentive , knowledgeable staff and a superb wine list and quirky cocktails. Simply Delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellence and memorable...KalhelnycDined on 6/30/2014Sure all restaurants claim to be the best: EMP, Daniel... etc. However, Juni, is a new standard. The food is amazing, service is impecable and the night unforgettable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A special experiencehungryVIPDined on 6/30/2014We went to Juni for my boyfriend's birthday and were blown away by the food. Each course we ate felt both familiar and surprising at the same time. The presentation was beautiful. The service was friendly and knowledgeable without being cloying. The black truffle balls amuse bouche were to die for; the halibut with basil puree outstanding. The chef came out and said hello--clearly he has his heart in the restaurant and food which makes it all the more special. I rarely take the time to write reviews--but if anyone is reading this, I highly recommend that you visit this restaurant!Special Features:
- thoughtfulwalkieVIPDined on 6/28/2014very thoughtful food pairings and flavor combinations...the menu could be more descriptive, but we were pleasantly surprised by the combination of tastes and textures.Special Features:
- Flavor explosionsPhoodophileDined on 6/27/2014Absolutely loved Juni. Such an inventive restaurant. The food is so exquisitely prepared with intense but balanced flavors. Not a restaurant that the masses can appreciate, but if you are a serious foodie you will love this place.Special Features:
- cardonVIPDined on 6/27/2014This is an outstanding restaurant in every respect!Special Features:
- Great for a special occasion!BreeVIPDined on 6/27/2014Took my husband here for his birthday dinner - we had a great time!! Food is creative and amazing! Go out of your normal comfort zone a little, you won't regret it. They have a fun and unique beer menu too. Definitely a great place to celebrate!Special Features: