12 East 31st Street
New York, NY 10016Neighborhood:
Gramercy / Flatiron
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://juninyc.com/
- Phone: 212-995-8599x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday-Friday: 12:00pm - 2:30pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Shaun Hergatt
- Dress Code: Jacket Preferred
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wine
A word from Juni
Juni is Chef Shaun Hergatt’s boutique restaurant celebrating the height of the season, within Manhattan’s Hotel Chandler [12 East 31st Street]. An intimate affair between the guest and the chef, the 50-seat restaurant offers a seasonally evolving menu showcasing the bounty of the harvest and ingredients when they are at their freshest and finest. Juni derives its name from the Latin word for “June,” the heart of the season.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
Juni reviews from OpenTable diners
158 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelQuiet
fit for foodies (133)special occasion (116)romantic (91)notable wine list (51)neighborhood gem (47)great for lunch (34)hot spot (15)good for groups (9)late-night find (3)kid-friendly (3)great for brunch (2)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Better the first timeOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 9/22/2014Several months ago, I had the pleasure of dining at Juni. The food was delicious, the service fantastic and an overall pleasure. As such, I came back to Juni with the expectations of a similar experience. However, it was the complete opposite. The food was average w/ plates being cooked to early and left on the heating pad, which made the dish over-cooked. Other dishes were just off-temp. On the service, the waiters screwed up the order of the courses being served so some at the table had their entrees when others were dining on their appetizers. Instead of stepping up as other Tier 1 places do and offering a remedy, they just shrugged it off. Maybe it was just a Monday and the 'B' team was there, but I'll likely bring my business elsewhere
- Incredible Foodie ExperienceJJ1019Dined on 9/20/2014Some of the most creative and whimsical food we have experienced in all of our travels...a must try! The restaurant itself is quite traditional and "dry" in contrast to the menu and chefs creativity.... Wonder what would happen here if the interior atmosphere was as interesting as the food?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Was is Best NYC but now standerd!HisabonDined on 9/20/2014All Chang disappointed !Was is best American but now standard! All dish nothing special ,very small difficult to find what we eat！All material not fresh. Standard level.Special Features:
- Elegant diningSuzieDined on 9/20/2014The East 30's, once a food wasteland, has become a hot bed of fine dining. Leading the pack is Juni. The food is inventive, interesting, and most important, delicious. The service is attentive without being trying. The menu, with no a la carte selections, offers sufficient choices to please everyone. A particular favorite was the candy apple holding a rich surprise, and the crab and corn appetizer. Everything was perfect and I will be recommending Juni to friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's a wow!christineVIPDined on 9/19/2014The four course tasting menu offers an incredible mix of wonderfully prepared and presented food. The amuse-bouches were inventive both in their taste and presentation.Special Features:
- Spectacular in every regard.threecrayonsVIPDined on 9/18/2014Lunch was amazing as always. Started with the spot prawns which was quietly beautiful, like Grace Kelly in her younger years. The hanger steak was cooked and seasoned perfectly. The deserts are excellent. This is an excellent introduction to Chef Hergatt's food. Dinner is magic, and the ten course tasting is worth every dime. Exceptional food, exceptional service.Special Features:
- gegandcoVIPDined on 9/17/2014Ethereal cuisine...It is an scintillating EXPERIENCE!Special Features:
- Splendid, splendid, splendidTaShihDined on 9/15/2014We enjoyed lunch at Juni recently and the food was some of the best I've had anywhere in the world. The lunch prix fixe is an incomparable value....would have been double anywhere else in NY and triple in Paris. Our server seemed overly formal. The Chef, on the other hand, set exactly the right tone of confident ease and his visit to our table was much appreciated. We can't wait to come back for dinner!Special Features:
- Delightful in every way!LouiseCDined on 9/13/2014We enjoyed a wonderful meal at Juni and will definitely be back next time we're in town. Every single mouthful of food was exquisite and each plate was served with such care and attention to detail. The presentation of the food was gorgeous, every plate a work of art. Wines offered by the glass were a perfect complement. Service was impeccable without being in the least bit stuffy or pretentious. A real treat and very highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodieCPwiseVIPDined on 9/13/2014Juni was a very nice discovery, we had the four course dinner, for me it was the correct amount of food, you can choose either two appetizers and one main dish or one appetizer and two main dishes and then the dessert. They were very well made with a great combination of flavors and textures and you can bring your bottle for a corkage fee of 50 USD, we had a great time. Highly reccomendedSpecial Features:
- Service qualityL234Dined on 9/12/2014The food was great, the ambiance as well, but the service was really unprofessional. We expect a minimum of knowledge when paying 100$ for a menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not much foodloramVIPDined on 9/11/2014Maybe we should have done more research on the restaurant but it was a strange dining experience. Small portions with unusual combinations. Left hungry.Special Features:
- Delicious, delicious, deliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/8/2014We are big fans of Chef Hergatt (Sho was one of our favorite restaurants), and were very happy to hear about Juni. For our first meal at Juni, we enjoyed 6 courses; for our second meal, 4 courses. Among our favorite dishes: veal tenderloin with sweetbreads and mustard blossom; the yogurt cotta with salmon and roe; the prawn with uni; and for dessert, the peach/almond/hyssop/burrata. It's difficult to go wrong with any dish!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top 10 all timeScottD58VIPDined on 9/6/2014What were you top 10 dining experiences of all time? Was it the location, the service, the inspire cocktails and paired wine, or was it the food? Maybe it was a combo? For me Juni's in that top 10!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/3/2014The chef makes dishes that are both original and delicious. The wait staff is only an eye flick away and courteous to a fault. Pricey but worth it. We enjoyed the easy atmosphere as well. Nice and quiet!Special Features:
- One of the best meals I've had!!YUMO302Dined on 8/30/2014We did the six course tasting menu with pairings and were completely blown away by the taste, quality, and creativity of the food. The service was excellent and the restaurant had a great ambiance--the design is elegant and the tables are spaced far apart so you can hear everyone in your group without any issue. It was a meal we will never forgetSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasting menu for the win!CourtneyNYCDined on 8/29/2014My boyfriend and I both had the four course tasting menu and it was delicious! As great as the four courses were (get the veal tenderloin), my favorite part were the amuse bouche bites they served before the main course (beet gel on beet paper!). The service was spot on, but the atmosphere was very quiet and not very lively, seemed a little stuffy - not my ideal type of dinning experience. Their cocktail menu was also fairly extensive and I enjoyed the rum cocktail (I cannot recall the name) I had. Overall, I would recommend this restaurant for a special occasion or for the foodie out there looking for a great meal!Special Features:
- ArtOliaVIPDined on 8/29/2014The food is not only intricate and delicious but also beautifully presented. It's like a piece of art. Always want to come back. It's also has a great value, especially lunchSpecial Features:
- Extraordinary MealKMBrooklynDined on 8/28/2014One of the best meals during my 20 years of living in NY. Memorable, superb food in both presentation and flavor. Service was extraordinary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spectacular!smile172Dined on 8/23/2014We had the pleasure to experience the 10 course chef's tasting menu. From the multiple amuse-bouche to the final dessert, every single course was a delight to the senses. Absolutely worth the experience!Special Features:
- Amuse-BoucheWilliemoonVIPDined on 8/23/2014Great new concept restaurant. After choosing between four and ten courses, pairing wines, we were pleasantly surprised. We were served five various, beautifully presented, delicious Amuse-Bouche. We had a fabulous 25th anniversary dinner. (Yes they sent a dessert with a happy anniversary greeting.)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restrained elegancegalvdocVIPDined on 8/23/2014From the muted gray tones of the dining room to the precise platings and well-choreographed service, everything was perfect. We chose the 4 course price fixe menu and enjoyed every morsel. The only overly precious note was the carved tree branch which held the black truffle bombs, one of the delightful amuse bouche that appeared. The hearts of palm crafted into "ravioli" filled with basil, served with stone crop was beautiful to observe, and perfectly crafted - the crunch and pop of the citrusy/salty stone crop was the ideal accent for the rich basil flavors. One of the standout dishes was local corn with peekytoe crab and saffron; the green tea dusted macadamias as our final amuse bouche were a strong finish.Special Features:
- A Hidden JemfeasterVIPDined on 8/22/2014Care about creativity, authenticity and adventure? There is no better restaurant in New York than Juni. Chef Sean Hergatt respects his ingredients but pushes to reveal their inner most secrets. You know on what you are feasting, but wonder why it is so remarkable. No pickling of naturally sweet foods, no over spicing, over saucing, over anything. Clean, beautiful and beautifully presented. If my family had to choose one restaurant in New York, this would be it. At a birthday lunch, friends noted the flavor nuances of, the perfect presentation, the joy of the experience. Why are tables easy to book? The location at 31st between Fifth and Madison is not the best. Why would one be there? Why? To dine at the best of all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service and food presentationSlidesVIPDined on 8/21/2014This is one of those once in a lifetime type of place that I would highly recommend that you visit at least once. The food presentation is great and the service is very attentive and on top of it. The food taste ranges from very good to okay and I was not blown away by every dish. But still, I would highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Artistry in the FlatironPlaysafeDined on 8/20/2014Just west of Murray Hill, on the edge of the Flatiron, is an experience no lover of fine food should miss. Located in the quiet, elegantly-rehabbed Hotel Chandler, Juni presents diners with a meal both supremely delicious and sublimely esthetic. Chef Sean Hergatt first delights with essences of truffle and beet and mustard and oats, to name but a few of the flavors, and then the menu proper comes to dazzle the eye and exalt the palate. Every dish presents extraordinary yet satisfying combinations, in a picture of Zen beauty and balance; Chef Hergatt is an artist, and we heartily recommend the show. Excellent wine list as well.Special Features:
- Perfect for business lunchBusinessDinnerVIPDined on 8/20/2014My boss wanted to have somewhere nice to meet with his client. Somewhere quiet so he can talk confidential stuff over meal. This place is perfect for the purpose. For me, it was almost painfully quiet, though. The food is great, The service was exquisite. They sensed that we are kinda in a hurry without telling them. That is also important for the business lunch. Fast but elegant services. I will definitely book this restaurant for my boss again.Special Features:
- an amazing experienceeateratorDined on 8/16/2014We had the 10 course tasting menu and Chef Hergatt completely took us into a forest, turned into the Puck character Tom Cruise played in Legend, and created some Willy Wonka-esque earth magic where caterpillars are made of flower petals and smooth lemon panna cotta then hid in edible flowers and leaves, and where birds nests are made of hyssop sorbet that aided digestion and cleansed your palette. I was floored. Is he a unicorn?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Shaun Hergatt is a Creative Genius.SIRLINYDined on 8/16/2014From the moment that you enter the resturant, you know something special awaits you. Two very elegent rooms await you. One room seats 20 special guest and the second room seats 30 also special guests. Quiet, spacious, refined.The service is perfect without the slightest floor. No one hovering on top of you, but there in an instant if needed.You are treated as if you were Chef Shaun Hergatt....The food. Creative, magnificent in presentation, and taste impecable. Yes I have eaten in New York's top 25 resturants including Per Se, and I promise that you never had an experience like this. Chef Shaun Hergatt is a true genius. you owe it to yourself & and possibly someone special) not to miss this very special dining experiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the best in NYCthreecrayonsVIPDined on 8/13/2014Quite possibly one of the best dining experiences in NYC. Do the 10 course, it's an incredible value. It starts with 8 canapés, 10 courses and a mignardise course. Service is quite good, and the wine list is excellent, be sure to take advantage of the excellent sommelier. We had a couple lower priced bottles that melted our faces off. This is 2 or 3 Michelin star food.Special Features:
- amazing mealMikedmtlVIPDined on 8/11/2014I just loved my experience at Juni. It is certainly one of the best meals I had this year. The food was perfect and the service amazing.thanks to the team thereSpecial Features:
- Best in ManhattanOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/11/2014Food and service are outstanding. If Juni does not receive at least 2 Michelin stars come October I will be shocked. Best Chef in New York.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very entertaining mealSaxmanVIPDined on 8/9/2014The dining rooms are very luxurious as are the servers. The restaurant is in a hotel and has on old world feel. But the food is not old world. My wife had a 5 course tasting meal and I had a 5 course (apple) tasting meal. The food is creatively fashioned and served on a variety of objects including rocks. The food presentation is a grand comical show. I think they are trying to make fun of the 1%. IF you have some extra cash and are looking for a very different experience in New York then run to Juni.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful dining experiencePhillyPhoodieVIPDined on 8/8/2014I have never rated a restaurant on Open Table before but I was compelled to rate Juni. It was an wonderful dining experience from the amazing food, presentation, service and ambiance. I highly recommend!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just ridiculously goodImeanitmanDined on 8/8/2014Stopped by at Juni tonight for a quick supper to celebrate the restaurant’s one year anniversary. AS ALWAYS, “just an app” rapidly unpacked into a full dinner. And, AS ALWAYS, it was fantastic. Chef Hergatt's cooking, classical and modern at the same time, is an extraordinary highwire act, and as a diner I feel privileged to get a front row seat. Brillat-Savarin said that the discovery of a new dish does more for the happiness of mankind than the discovery of a new star; I wonder what he would’ve made of Juni, a place where over the last year I’ve discovered a hundred new dishes that have certainly made me happier than the discovery of vast galaxies of stars ever could. Thanks, Chef. It’s been a hell of a year - see you Tuesday for lunch!Special Features:
- 2nd times as good as the firstjeffgtiVIPDined on 8/6/2014this was my second visit to Juni and i was not disappointed. the food was outstanding, both creative and delicious. the staff was attentive without being cloying. my only complaint was the pricing of the wine list. i would not call it an extensive list but it did represents all countries and regions. the problem was that every time i found a bottle i wanted to order it was well in excess of $200. it was difficult to find any bottles under $100.Special Features:
- what a treat!BeachfoodieVIPDined on 8/5/2014A birthday celebration for the foodie that i am. Foods appearance couldn't be topped but the tastes were so exceptional. A tiny morsel packed a punch that was unexpected and delightful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just wow!MarmarVIPDined on 8/2/2014Amazing food , amazing service . What a unique experience . Food is so unique and beautiful u just want to sit and look at it . Love love love will go back again over and over . We really enjoyed our night out food . It's a must visit place for a romantic dinner or birthday .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Juni - A Revelation!FoodIsArtVIPDined on 7/29/2014The tasting meal was extraordinary from start to finish - exciting tastes, great variety, so many delicious new combinations. What imagination! From beet "paper" to intense sorbet, from delicate crab to herb-infused veal, each heavenly preparation was evidence of this fantastic chef's creative energy. Bravo! (This is my first review. Juni finally got me to put "pen" to this "paper.")Special Features:
- MarkVIPDined on 7/28/2014Some of the most beautiful and delicious food we have ever tastedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A fabulous fineFirstClassVIPDined on 7/26/2014We were looking for a fabulous place for a special evening. I saw a write up on Juni and we decided to give it a try. It was great decision! This was the first of what I know will be many special evenings at Juni. The dining rooms are elegant and the food is not only creative and beautiful but also most importantly it tastes great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.