Jumpin Jays Fish Cafe
150 Congress Street
Portsmouth, NH 03801Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
Jumpin Jays Fish Cafe
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.jumpinjays.com/
- Phone: 6037663474x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood
- Executive Chef: Marty Rumley
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Private Functions available Sunday through Thursday and can accommodate up to 60 people. Please call for details.
- Private Party Contact: Katharine McGrath 6037663474x
- Cross Street: Middle Street, Maplewood Avenue, Islington Street
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Jumpin' Jay's Fish Cafe FREE PARKING on the corner of MIDDLE ST & MILLER AVE...less than three blocks away...a short 4 min & 39 second walk...enjoy the scenery and historic homes of Portsmouth!
Metered Parking is available across the street from Jumpin' Jay's.
Parking Garage is available on the corner of High & Hanover Street.
A word from Jumpin Jays Fish Cafe
Located in historic downtown Portsmouth, New Hampshire, Jumpin' Jay's Fish Cafe is known to the locals as a fun & lively restaurant with friendly and knowledgeable service. Going on 14 years, we continue to pride ourselves with innovative seafood dishes and the freshest fish menu in Portsmouth. You can also enjoy fabulous wines from around the world, one of our famous martinis, or a locally brewed beer. Our Raw Bar offers a variety of the freshest oysters and clams found anywhere. Whether you prefer a cozy table or our full service, non-smoking bar, we guarantee a memorable experience!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
Jumpin Jays Fish Cafe - Best Restaurants in Portsmouth ›
Jumpin Jays Fish Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
257 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (155)neighborhood gem (111)special occasion (79)hot spot (69)good for groups (61)vibrant bar scene (44)romantic (24)notable wine list (22)late-night find (16)kid-friendly (11)great for lunch (9)great for brunch (5)scenic view (2)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- All around great.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014The food, service and setting were all remarkable. Will definitely dine there in the future for special events. Pricey for a teen/college student but this is not who this restaurant is meant to attract. Overall 9.5/10Special Features:
- Awesome SeafoodExcellentDined on 9/27/2014We live in a coastal town in MA so to be able to get as good (or better) seafood when we travel is a real treat!
- ExcellentSJS23Dined on 9/26/2014The service was very good and the food was excellent! A bit noisy but was able to carry on a conservation at the table we were seated at. I would go for dinner there again.Special Features:
- Always top experience!Parentsof3princessesDined on 9/26/2014This is our go to spot for date night occasions, and they never disappoint. With 3 kids under 5 at home, we love Jumpin Jays for their speedy service. Food is always extremely fresh and cooked perfectly. My husband had the seared yellowfin tuna and he said it was the best he's ever tasted. I always get the diver scallops and they're incredible. Best app is hands down the calamari. Great drinks also - especially bloody Mary's! Service is knowledgeable, quick, and accurate, as well as friendly. Always happy with our experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh seafood excellently preparedCathyVIPDined on 9/23/2014Not a fancy place and for the most part the preparations are relatively uncomplicated. Service is excellent and the preparation of every dish is superb. The Tuna Tartare with avocado is delectable.Special Features:
- VeryPleasedDined on 9/23/2014Excellent food, very pleasant service - a delightful place to celebrate my wife's birthday and our wedding anniversary!Special Features:
- Great SeafoodQueenOfPlasticDined on 9/20/2014Everyone raved about this place so we gave it a try for our 25th wedding anniversary. Our reservations were made after 9pm on Saturday night. The seafood is fantastic! The place was not overly crowded but very loud. Our server kept forgetting to check on us. It seemed like we always had to ask someone to get our server. Water was always replaced before we emptied the glass. To bad our server didn't come to the table as often as our water glasses were filled.Special Features:
- Jumpin on the J'smuddydogDined on 9/20/2014Had another great meal at Jumpin J's, my friends and I drop by annually on our golf outing and are never disappointed. Just the right combination of very good food nice atmosphere and great staff!Special Features:
- DisappointedDisappointedDined on 9/20/2014I always go to JJ's looking for a good seafood dinner. This meal with another couple on a special occasion was mediocre at best. My swordfish was not very hot as well as one of my guests'. It was the other couple's anniversary and I had called ahead to see if I could order a small cake and they had 0 available. Come On! Not even a "small" one?! Frankly, for the entrée price how about a "little" salad included. The only positive was the service.
- GailcyDined on 9/20/2014A friend recommended JJ's to us several years ago.. We live in the boston area and have seasonal lake house..when we r in the area JJ's is our go to place to eat and take friends and family.. Never disappointed in the meal, service or atmosphere! Oh yes! Great cosmo's!!!:)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TravelersNana43Dined on 9/18/2014Stopped in Portsmouth for two nights on the way up the coast checked trip advisor and recommendation at the hotel. Everyone said jumpin jays was the place to go. They were not wrong, fabulous flavors in the sauces great service. Don't miss it if your in Portsmouth.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- namron54Dined on 9/14/2014I had the Haddock Piccata which was delicious!! I was on my first date and it was a very comfortable place to be.Special Features:
- mike5269Dined on 9/13/2014If you like quality seafood, a hopping, fast paced environment in food heaven Portsmouth, NH, go to Jumpin Jays Fish Café on a Saturday night. Lots of fun, great selection and wonderful food. You'll love it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentSkyjoggerDined on 9/13/2014Jumpin Jays Fish Cafe is consistently excellent. Service is efficient polite and friendly. It is our go-to seafood restaurant in the Portsmouth area.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/12/2014Great place to dine with friends it can be a little loud so I wouldn't call it a romantic spot to dine. However the food quality and selection is great my favorite haddock piccata The oysters are the best aroundSpecial Features:
- Best Fresh Fish in TownOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/11/2014From the fresh salad, to tuna tartar, Jumpin Jays offers the freshest fish dishes in town, masterfully created and beautifully presented. My daughter ordered a scallop appetizer that was large enough for her meal, while her boyfirend ordered the coconut and red curry seafood dish. My husband ordered the swordfish and I ordered the beet salad and tuna tartar. Reservations are a must-especially on the weekend-since Jumpin Jays is a local favorite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday dinner for J-manJmanDined on 9/10/2014Jumpin Jays staff as well as the food was wonderful. We were celebrating a special birthday and requested a window table. The window table that was given to us was perfect. Enjoyed the special attention of the staff and will look forward to returning to your restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food Fare and ServiceChubbyLemonDined on 9/8/2014We were recommended this from a long time local and we were not disappointed … The food is Fresh as can be … busting with simple delectable flavours … There are so many choices … the fish can be paired with some great choice sauces each more inviting than the other. in Conclusion .. Try this place and you will not be dissappointed ...Special Features:
- Very nicenhtheatremomDined on 9/8/2014Always a good choice for dinner. Selection varies so good for those who like all kinds of sea food.Special Features:
- Well-prepared fishOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/5/2014Enjoyed Jumpin Jays. Fun setting. Crab cake was good, Caesar salad flavorless. Cod was perfectly prepared, but not a very appetizing presentation -dumped on a glob of mashed potatoes. Mustard sauce was over-whelming and made it difficult to taste anything else. Excellent baby beets. I would return, but make different choices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wow!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/31/2014I have lived in Portsmouth for years and have never had the pleasure of dining at Jumping Jays. When two friends visited from out of town, the restaurant caught their eye and I booked a reservation. We all loved the look of the restaurant, the variety of food items available and the drink selection. Our meals were delicious as was desert. I look forward to recommending this restaurant to others and visiting again soon.Special Features:
- Fabulous!fanoffishDined on 8/31/2014Have been three times to this restaurant, its a favorite in this area . It is a great place for fish lovers, with a choice of at least 6 kinds of fish, and it notes where each came from. Select one of 6 sauces, or get a sampler. Also some great signature dishes, and something for those who don't like fish. Service is outstanding! You should have a reservation to eat here, they get busy. Good raw bar and choice of appetizers.Special Features:
- REGARDVIPDined on 8/28/2014only one nightin Portsmouth, and we picked a winner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/27/2014Entertaining a party of six. The food, and the experience, was excellent.Special Features:
- slight hiccupOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/27/2014As usual the fish is SOOOO fresh and tasty. Only issue is the meals came with lukewarm mashed potatoes and COLD asparagus. My Dad had to send his whole meal back for warming. This is an anomoly however as we frequent Jay's a good deal. Maybe if they turned the AC down a bit the food would not cool off so fast either waiting for pick up or even while eating at the table (FOod gets cold quick even when served hot). Just be sure to mention you want to be sure the meal is HOT and I am asure they will take care of you, The waitress was very nice and got my Dad's meal back pretty quick.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great fresh fish!KMRSVIPDined on 8/25/2014If you like fish, Jumpin Jays is the perfect spot. It looks unassuming from the outside, but the fish is extremely fresh and the preparation is very creative. I highly recommend Jumpin Jays!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/25/2014Excellent food and a good place to meet friends for dinner
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/23/2014Our server was excellent. The other staff seemed almost snobby but it is Portsmouth in the summer! The atmosphere is good, A little on the noisy side (staff dropping glasses and lots of clanging of dishes). Food was outstanding. The Haddock Piccatta was out of this world.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another amazing meal!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/22/2014Wonderful dinner, great service. Halibut was cooked to perfection & the lobster velouté sauce never disappoints! My dinner companion was about an hour late & the hosts were very accommodating & patient as well!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loving JaysLNMFoodLoversVIPDined on 8/22/2014This was our first time to Portsmouth, and were delighted that we selected the best seafood restaurant. Every dish we had was fresh, creative, and well prepared. Our server was so helpful with his recommendations and service. Do not skip this restaurant. Jay's is now one of our favorites, and we are die hard seafood lovers.Special Features:
- They know how to cook FishCarmensensemanVIPDined on 8/22/2014Very creative presentations with the fish, several differnt kinds, cooked to perfection. Specials are always spot on. If you want fresh seafood...this is the best place to go in Southern Maine and the Seacoast.
- KickstartkickstartDined on 8/21/2014We enjoyed our dining experience the staff was very attentive and cordial the food was outstanding we live on Long Island and already Spoke to friends about returning for another visit .to try other items on the menus .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor timingOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/21/2014Usually a highlight of summer dining with fresh seafood caught locally. This visit the service was extremely slow and the entrees were overcooked. Hopefully that will be fixed next time.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best meal I had on vacationtravelgirlDined on 8/20/2014This was not the first time I've eaten at Jumpin Jays, I come here whenever I find myself in Portsmouth. Literally, the best thing I've ever eaten is their Pear Radicchio salad! Sounds strange, but you literally have to put down your fork and take a breath after every bite! I always order it, and never expect it to be as good as I remember, but it never fails! I followed it up with the Haddock Piccata, which was fantastic! Reservations are normally required, since this is such a popular place. Don't miss out on this incredible dining experience!Special Features:
- localguyVIPDined on 8/19/2014We had the haddock piccata and it was great. Our server was very attentive.Special Features:
- Fresh fish, rushed servicelikesgoodfoodDined on 8/18/2014On a recent Monday night, the fish seemed very fresh, but the halibut in the nightly special was overcooked and dry: a common but disappointing treatment of a delicate and expensive piece of fish. The haddock piccata special was quite good. Mussels were very small, and we had to ask for bread to enjoy the flavorful broth. (Mussels in sauce served without bread?) Our server was cheerful and helpful, but seemed to be in a constant rush, as did the other servers around us. Our entrees arrived before the wine we had ordered to accompany our main course. With cocktails, appetizer, and entree, we were in and out in less than an hour: not the relaxing dinner we had planned for the final night of our vacation.
- Very good seafoodkbnyVIPDined on 8/17/2014Loved jay's special coconut curried seafood - delish - the corn gave it a nice crunch. My daughter had the salmon with mango salsa & loved it as well. Very flavorful, fresh and nicely plated.Special Features:
- That's fresh fishTommyVIPDined on 8/17/2014I like this restaurant! My wife's not so sure about the, decor. Late fifties? Early sixties? "Simple"? But you're not going to get better fish. Five or six on every nights menu, anyway you like it. Oysters. Mussels. This is a great fresh fish restaurant. Very, very good service. Quick, efficient, friendly table service. And these aren't your art-house portions, that's a good solid piece of sea bass or halibut there. Make no mistake, this is a linen table cloth, napkin restaurant, and it has it's own huge bar!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MaryDined on 8/17/2014This is a great restaurant. We have been eating here since it opened, and the quality has always been top notch. They offer different entree fish each night based on what is the freshest available. The oysters are superb. Jumpin Jays is highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dmelovesportsmouthDined on 8/16/2014Incredible food every time we eat here. Glad to see that they are a part of "Open Table".Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.