Jumpin Jays Fish Cafe
150 Congress Street
Portsmouth, NH 03801Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
Jumpin Jays Fish Cafe
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.jumpinjays.com/
- Phone: (603) 766-3474
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood
- Executive Chef: Marty Rumley
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Private Functions available Sunday through Thursday and can accommodate up to 60 people. Please call for details.
- Private Party Contact: Katharine McGrath 6037663474x
- Cross Street: Middle Street, Maplewood Avenue, Islington Street
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Jumpin' Jay's Fish Cafe FREE PARKING on the corner of MIDDLE ST & MILLER AVE...less than three blocks away...a short 4 min & 39 second walk...enjoy the scenery and historic homes of Portsmouth!
Metered Parking is available across the street from Jumpin' Jay's.
Parking Garage is available on the corner of High & Hanover Street.
A word from Jumpin Jays Fish Cafe
Located in historic downtown Portsmouth, New Hampshire, Jumpin' Jay's Fish Cafe is known to the locals as a fun & lively restaurant with friendly and knowledgeable service. Going on 14 years, we continue to pride ourselves with innovative seafood dishes and the freshest fish menu in Portsmouth. You can also enjoy fabulous wines from around the world, one of our famous martinis, or a locally brewed beer. Our Raw Bar offers a variety of the freshest oysters and clams found anywhere. Whether you prefer a cozy table or our full service, non-smoking bar, we guarantee a memorable experience!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
Jumpin Jays Fish Cafe - Best Restaurants in Portsmouth ›
Jumpin Jays Fish Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
247 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (143)neighborhood gem (116)special occasion (77)hot spot (75)good for groups (51)vibrant bar scene (40)romantic (27)notable wine list (16)late-night find (11)great for lunch (9)kid-friendly (4)great for brunch (3)great for outdoor dining (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Jump at Jays for a great meal!livetoeatDined on 11/23/2014A number of local people that we met during our wandering tour of Portsmouth recommended Jay's for the food quality and for the neighborhood atmosphere. We had been to a number of the waterfront eateries over the years and were looking for a change from the "tourist" atmosphere. Jay's was a great alternative. The seafood was fresh, cooked to perfection, and served by a very attentive waiter. The wine selection was more than adequate. We will plan to return to this restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/22/2014It was very busy when we arrived and our table was delayed a bit, great seat at the bar with a friendly bar keeper. Server had a few too many tables but managed to keep up with our dinner. Food was outstanding, all things considered we will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- love itOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/22/2014We have been to jays many times and have never been disappointed , the food is top shelf along with the service and the staff is the best, very pleasant and helpful.a must when in Portsmouth. make reservations so you don't have to wait, can fill up fast.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun night outFishOnDined on 11/18/2014Tuesday is shuck for a buck, so I ordered the oysters, great flavor and great sauce with horseradish topping. Buffalo fried clams were delicious as was the blue cheese sauce. Coconut red curry with Jasmine rice was full of seafood and flavorful but not too hot. Service was good. Cold night and the draft from the door reached us halfway back in the restaurant. Excellent choice will dine again there soon again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dining ExperienceMARKDined on 11/18/2014I've eaten at Jumpin' Jay's several times...especially for their "Shuck-a Buck" oyster special on Tuesday nights. The food is great...raw oysters and the crisp fried calamari!! The service isfriendly and great. Our waiter, Degan, knows us and greets us with our normally-ordered drinks in hand!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!CarmenDined on 11/16/2014I had my birthday dinner at Jumpin Jays and was very satisfied. The food tasted very fresh and the waitstaff was friendly an efficient. I'm looking forward to another visit soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SeafoodSkyjoggerDined on 11/14/2014Jump'n Jays has the best seafood on the coast. For a real treat, try the haddock piccata!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expectations dashed!phillydocDined on 11/8/2014It was ok, but nothing special. The broiled salmon had a glaze that covered the taste of the fish. The P.I.E. mussels were fine, but the broth was so heavy with chili that it made tasting and bread dipping a taste-bud killer and thus a no-no! The desserts were almost inedible. The panna cotta was tasteless and more close to a plastic lump and the Key lime tart was right out of a commercial box. Yuk! One bite and we pushed them aside. Scallops were fresh and fine. Service was excellent. Prices were very fair and competitive. The place was packed for restaurant week so Jays must have been doing something well. Maybe that was the reason for the drop in first level quality. Overall, our dinning experience at Jays was a real disappointment.Special Features:
- Great as AlwayssusieqDined on 11/7/2014We had a great time, enjoyed our meals and would definitely recommendSpecial Features:
- Small portions for restaurant weekMurphymcmDined on 11/7/2014This is one of our favorite restaurants, however, restaurant week was no deal. The portions were disappointingly small. Will pick another place for restaurant week next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not my favoriteHols10VIPDined on 11/7/2014Food portions very small. Tartar was overwhelmed by avacodo and cucumbers. Mussel are bland and flavored with only a touch of cream. Would not go back. Also the place was freezing due to inadequate shelter at the front door.
- Bring extra clothingOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 11/7/2014The doorway entrance is poorly designed, the restaurant was freezing and you get blasted with cold air every time the door is opened. It is very noisy, the food mediocre and drinks such as a bottled IPA for $12 way overpriced. We won't be back.
- Best Restaurant in PortsmouthOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/6/2014First night of restaurant week was my first time to Jumpin Jays. It was truly spectacular. (despite the cold rain outside) We had the pris fix menu. The leek soup was outstanding with lobster garnish, yum. Followed by the Blackened swordfish which was done perfectly with the right amount of heat. the panna cotta desert was a seasonal delight. I had the menu recommended wine which complemented the food. I am looking forward to returning and will recommend it always.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great fishPortsmouthfanDined on 11/1/2014You won't find a better or experienced fish Resturant. Very fresh and creative!Special Features:
- Great find!BayareaDinerDined on 10/31/2014You won't be disappointed. Excellent seafood. Great service.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and top notch serviceSnipperetteVIPDined on 10/31/2014With so many restaurants to choose from in Portsmouth, Jumping Jays is a sure bet. This place has a fantastic selection of fresh local seafood and keeps their menu simple yet unique. The portions are quite large and we left with enough for a extra meal! We will definitely return to Jumping Jays soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceTsfromctDined on 10/31/2014Our favorite spot in Portsmouth. Food was great! Very fresh and wonderfully prepared. Service was attentive. If you love seafood, you owe it to yourself to dine here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and restaurant.onbalanceDined on 10/29/2014We arrived to a pleasant atmosphere and excellent service. The menu had many selections to please everyone. The food was excellent quality and taste. All the seafood was extremely fresh. The sauces were exceptional. Great restaurant and highly recommended.Special Features:
- Fresh Fish!dinerdiverDined on 10/26/2014Stopped in for a late dinner. I enjoyed some very nice Cod and my wife some haddock - properly prepared. Good wine list. Food arrived only warm - same for after dinner coffee. I'd call it a bit pricey overall but pleasant enough.Special Features:
- Great convenience!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/26/2014Excellent dinner! Enjoyed the convenience of being able to decide last minute and book a reservation on line!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/26/2014Menu choices creative. Excellent fish... cooked to perfection. My husband thought the portions were small. Overall, a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CONSISTENTLY GOODFoodLoverVIPDined on 10/26/2014I have been to Jumpin Jays several times over the last few months and the food is consistently good. I frequently brings friends who all state they would like to come back the next time they are in town. The service has always been outstanding and last Saturday night was no exception.Special Features:
- Loved it!Jenny20Dined on 10/25/2014Chose it from reviews on Open Table -- everyone was right! They have great food, great atmosphere, great service. Will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent seafood on the seacoastSeacoastdinerDined on 10/25/2014We hadn't been to Jumpin Jays in many years and we're excited to go back. They did not disappoint. I love the format of the menu where you choose your fish and sauce. The swordfish was perfectly cooked and the lemon garlic butter just enhanced the flavor. The service was friendly and attentive. It's a vibrant place and we will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Portsmouth's best seafoodFoodforthoughtDined on 10/24/2014Always outstanding seafood and excellent service by a cheerful and solicitous staffSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Catering foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/24/2014Food tasted like it was cooked earlier and reheated. This was also in line with the speed at which we were served. Way too fast for a restaurant serving $30 plates. We http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/anne-burrell/sausage-cornbread-stuffing-recipe2.htmlwould not go back and have no idea how it gets such good reviews. My husband said "tastes like bad wedding food." He was right.
- trout special was excellentDisappointmenntDined on 10/24/2014very good meal. our server seemed to have too many tables.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!hard2pleaseDined on 10/21/2014Best linguini/clam sauce in memory! Super fast service despite a full house and folks waiting in line. We'll be back!Special Features:
- Great Food and ConsistentJaniceVIPDined on 10/21/2014If you are looking for great seafood and casual atmosphere then Jumpin Jays is for you. One of our favorite seafood restaurants.Special Features:
- LobsterDined on 10/21/2014We went for oysters & stayed for a couple of drinks & additional dishes. All the food was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Things were jumpinBillVIPDined on 10/20/2014We went on a Monday night when most places are quiet. This place was packed. And with good reason. The food is delicious. The pear salad and monkfish were excellent. The banana carmel cake was wonderful. The only issue is that it's a tight dining room, so you wouldn't go here for a long, comfortable quiet dinner. But go for the food.
- Buck-a-ShuckMARKDined on 10/14/2014The variety of fresh oysters was very good! The service was great...especially our waiter, Degan. The caramari on the appetizer menu is also delicious. I have been there the past 2 Tuesdays and plan to come back! It was a little bit noisy, but the restaurant was packed, so that can be expected. People were having fun and enjoying good food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Blackened SwordfishCopaCabana68Dined on 10/13/2014One of the best dishes that I have had in a very long time. Perfectly cooked and just the right amount of Fish to sauce. Would go back here in a second.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/13/2014A great dinner for our final night out on our New England trip. We started with the crab cakes which were great. My wife had the cSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Jumpin JaysLunchBunchDined on 10/12/2014Great restaurant in the heart of a charming seaside town. Had soup and wine at the bar while waiting for my table. Excellent food and very nice, social people at the bar and bartender was awesome. Had crab cakes and more wine for dinner with a cup of chowder to start. Only complaint was chowder was only luke warm. Service excellent and atmosphere was great. Highly recommend this charming restaurant. Great seafood!Special Features:
- You get what you orderWelltravelledDined on 10/12/2014It's very busy but the food is ok.it is what I would have expected from a sea food restaurant ,nothing that special.Special Features:
- So-SoOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/12/2014Hadn't been for a few years. Interior and furnishings need freshening, even at low light level don't look up, waiter got drink order wrong and then couldn't help with wine choice"didn't drink wine so couldn't help", asparagus seemed old and a couple stringy pieces. The fish and the rest of the dinner was very tasty. At that price point, IMHO, there are better choices in Portsmouth. For me, it's just not a special place any longer
- Great food and serviceToastDined on 10/11/2014This restaurant really knows how to cook fish of all varieties. The server also knows how to pour wine, an unusual skill in most places that we have eaten. The food is pricy but superb. One of our favorite places in the "foodie" city of Portsmouth, NH.Special Features:
- BigGDined on 10/9/2014Food was excellent with an upbeat atmosphere! Very clean and great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous FishGfdinerDined on 10/9/2014We were looking for a great fish restaurant to enjoy during a visit to Portsmouth. Found this place on-line via Open Table. Fabulous food, great service and even gluten free bread.Special Features: