Jumpin Jays Fish Cafe
150 Congress Street
Portsmouth, NH 03801Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
Jumpin Jays Fish Cafe
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.jumpinjays.com/
- Phone: 6037663474x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood
- Executive Chef: Marty Rumley
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Private Functions available Sunday through Thursday and can accommodate up to 60 people. Please call for details.
- Private Party Contact: Katharine McGrath 6037663474x
- Cross Street: Middle Street, Maplewood Avenue, Islington Street
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Jumpin' Jay's Fish Cafe FREE PARKING on the corner of MIDDLE ST & MILLER AVE...less than three blocks away...a short 4 min & 39 second walk...enjoy the scenery and historic homes of Portsmouth!
Metered Parking is available across the street from Jumpin' Jay's.
Parking Garage is available on the corner of High & Hanover Street.
A word from Jumpin Jays Fish Cafe
Located in historic downtown Portsmouth, New Hampshire, Jumpin' Jay's Fish Cafe is known to the locals as a fun & lively restaurant with friendly and knowledgeable service. Going on 14 years, we continue to pride ourselves with innovative seafood dishes and the freshest fish menu in Portsmouth. You can also enjoy fabulous wines from around the world, one of our famous martinis, or a locally brewed beer. Our Raw Bar offers a variety of the freshest oysters and clams found anywhere. Whether you prefer a cozy table or our full service, non-smoking bar, we guarantee a memorable experience!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
Jumpin Jays Fish Cafe - Best Restaurants in Portsmouth ›
Jumpin Jays Fish Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
253 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (152)neighborhood gem (115)special occasion (77)hot spot (76)good for groups (55)vibrant bar scene (40)romantic (23)notable wine list (18)late-night find (13)kid-friendly (9)great for lunch (8)great for outdoor dining (2)great for brunch (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Blackened SwordfishCopaCabana68Dined on 10/13/2014One of the best dishes that I have had in a very long time. Perfectly cooked and just the right amount of Fish to sauce. Would go back here in a second.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/13/2014A great dinner for our final night out on our New England trip. We started with the crab cakes which were great. My wife had the cSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Jumpin JaysLunchBunchDined on 10/12/2014Great restaurant in the heart of a charming seaside town. Had soup and wine at the bar while waiting for my table. Excellent food and very nice, social people at the bar and bartender was awesome. Had crab cakes and more wine for dinner with a cup of chowder to start. Only complaint was chowder was only luke warm. Service excellent and atmosphere was great. Highly recommend this charming restaurant. Great seafood!Special Features:
- You get what you orderWelltravelledDined on 10/12/2014It's very busy but the food is ok.it is what I would have expected from a sea food restaurant ,nothing that special.Special Features:
- So-SoOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/12/2014Hadn't been for a few years. Interior and furnishings need freshening, even at low light level don't look up, waiter got drink order wrong and then couldn't help with wine choice"didn't drink wine so couldn't help", asparagus seemed old and a couple stringy pieces. The fish and the rest of the dinner was very tasty. At that price point, IMHO, there are better choices in Portsmouth. For me, it's just not a special place any longer
- Great food and serviceToastDined on 10/11/2014This restaurant really knows how to cook fish of all varieties. The server also knows how to pour wine, an unusual skill in most places that we have eaten. The food is pricy but superb. One of our favorite places in the "foodie" city of Portsmouth, NH.Special Features:
- BigGDined on 10/9/2014Food was excellent with an upbeat atmosphere! Very clean and great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous FishGfdinerDined on 10/9/2014We were looking for a great fish restaurant to enjoy during a visit to Portsmouth. Found this place on-line via Open Table. Fabulous food, great service and even gluten free bread.Special Features:
- Terrific seafoodGlennDined on 10/7/2014Our trip to Portsmouth, NH was topped off by an enjoyable dinner at one of the town's best seafood restaurants. Although we were there on a Tuesday evening, Jumpin Jays was indeed jumpin. Make a reservation or be prepared to wait for an open table. The bar was a good place to wait!Special Features:
- Good FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/7/2014The oyster sampler and calamari were excellent. I have been to Jumpin' Jays Fish Café many times. The "shuck-a-buck" samplers never fail to be fresh and delicious. Also, the service is friendly, prompt, and attentive. I highly recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/6/2014They offer several Fresh Catch choices which can be prepared using the sauce of your choice. I took the waiters suggestions and ordered the Monk Fish with the lobster sauce. A delightful. An excellent marriage of flavor and texture! It was accompanied by yellow beets which I also found tasty despite not usually liking them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall great food and atmosphereTonyDined on 10/5/2014This was the first time we visited Jumpin Jays Fish Cafe. The service and food was excellent. We ordered crab cakes and tuna appetizers which were delicious however they were extremely small servings for the price. All of our main dishes were excellent. We ordered the Haddock, Salmon and scallop dishes. Each one was cooked to perfection and the portions served were just right.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another Great Dining Experience...OceanDocDined on 10/4/2014Once again, Jay's was a great experience and the food amazing. This is the place to go if you are looking for seafood and an overall great meal in Portsmouth. We have never been disappointed.Special Features:
- Haddock Piccatta. Yes.PetahDined on 10/3/2014If you haven't had the haddock Piccatta,get it. No disappointment. Pass on the halibut, they just don't get it right. The banana cake with multiple additional pleasures on the plate was oh so memorable. Thanks to the waitress who recommended this unlikely pick of the desserts. The panna cotta had too much gel, refer to Cooks Illustrated on how to get that right, chef. I loved the chowder, but if you would not appreciate smokiness from the bacon like I did, just pass. Calamari was tendar, but a tad greasy. I would go back to this place any day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, poor serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/3/2014We don't get to Portsmouth much so we always try a new place when we go. We thought the idea of our appetizer coming out before our drinks would be a sign to come but to our delight the food was very good. Perhaps our server was just overwhelmed with the volume of people, but there are people busing tables and bring food from the kitchen, not the server. We had to flag down another server to pay our bill after a 15 minute wait. Even with that I would go again for the food, I would just plan on a little extra time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tell me what's so specialOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/3/2014Food was good, but not truly exceptional. Asked for my tuna to be rare and came medium Hard to pay $30 for an entree when its overcooked. Wait staff is excellent. Restaurant too dark. We are all working very hard for our money these days and spending $290.00 for dinner for 4 people seems a bit over the top based on the ambiance and quality of the food.......I might go back, but, it was ok. IF I"m spending my money I want to be wowed. I wasn't.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent as alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 9/29/2014I eat at JJFC at least once every time I'm in Portsmouth. they have the best fish chef. I've never been disappointed.Special Features:
- All around great.birthdaydinnerDined on 9/27/2014The food, service and setting were all remarkable. Will definitely dine there in the future for special events. Pricey for a teen/college student but this is not who this restaurant is meant to attract. Overall 9.5/10Special Features:
- Awesome SeafoodExcellentDined on 9/27/2014We live in a coastal town in MA so to be able to get as good (or better) seafood when we travel is a real treat!
- ExcellentSJS23Dined on 9/26/2014The service was very good and the food was excellent! A bit noisy but was able to carry on a conservation at the table we were seated at. I would go for dinner there again.Special Features:
- Always top experience!Parentsof3princessesDined on 9/26/2014This is our go to spot for date night occasions, and they never disappoint. With 3 kids under 5 at home, we love Jumpin Jays for their speedy service. Food is always extremely fresh and cooked perfectly. My husband had the seared yellowfin tuna and he said it was the best he's ever tasted. I always get the diver scallops and they're incredible. Best app is hands down the calamari. Great drinks also - especially bloody Mary's! Service is knowledgeable, quick, and accurate, as well as friendly. Always happy with our experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh seafood excellently preparedCathyVIPDined on 9/23/2014Not a fancy place and for the most part the preparations are relatively uncomplicated. Service is excellent and the preparation of every dish is superb. The Tuna Tartare with avocado is delectable.Special Features:
- VeryPleasedDined on 9/23/2014Excellent food, very pleasant service - a delightful place to celebrate my wife's birthday and our wedding anniversary!Special Features:
- Great SeafoodQueenOfPlasticDined on 9/20/2014Everyone raved about this place so we gave it a try for our 25th wedding anniversary. Our reservations were made after 9pm on Saturday night. The seafood is fantastic! The place was not overly crowded but very loud. Our server kept forgetting to check on us. It seemed like we always had to ask someone to get our server. Water was always replaced before we emptied the glass. To bad our server didn't come to the table as often as our water glasses were filled.Special Features:
- Jumpin on the J'smuddydogDined on 9/20/2014Had another great meal at Jumpin J's, my friends and I drop by annually on our golf outing and are never disappointed. Just the right combination of very good food nice atmosphere and great staff!Special Features:
- DisappointedDisappointedDined on 9/20/2014I always go to JJ's looking for a good seafood dinner. This meal with another couple on a special occasion was mediocre at best. My swordfish was not very hot as well as one of my guests'. It was the other couple's anniversary and I had called ahead to see if I could order a small cake and they had 0 available. Come On! Not even a "small" one?! Frankly, for the entrée price how about a "little" salad included. The only positive was the service.
- GailcyDined on 9/20/2014A friend recommended JJ's to us several years ago.. We live in the boston area and have seasonal lake house..when we r in the area JJ's is our go to place to eat and take friends and family.. Never disappointed in the meal, service or atmosphere! Oh yes! Great cosmo's!!!:)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TravelersNana43Dined on 9/18/2014Stopped in Portsmouth for two nights on the way up the coast checked trip advisor and recommendation at the hotel. Everyone said jumpin jays was the place to go. They were not wrong, fabulous flavors in the sauces great service. Don't miss it if your in Portsmouth.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- namron54Dined on 9/14/2014I had the Haddock Piccata which was delicious!! I was on my first date and it was a very comfortable place to be.Special Features:
- mike5269Dined on 9/13/2014If you like quality seafood, a hopping, fast paced environment in food heaven Portsmouth, NH, go to Jumpin Jays Fish Café on a Saturday night. Lots of fun, great selection and wonderful food. You'll love it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentSkyjoggerDined on 9/13/2014Jumpin Jays Fish Cafe is consistently excellent. Service is efficient polite and friendly. It is our go-to seafood restaurant in the Portsmouth area.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/12/2014Great place to dine with friends it can be a little loud so I wouldn't call it a romantic spot to dine. However the food quality and selection is great my favorite haddock piccata The oysters are the best aroundSpecial Features:
- Best Fresh Fish in TownOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/11/2014From the fresh salad, to tuna tartar, Jumpin Jays offers the freshest fish dishes in town, masterfully created and beautifully presented. My daughter ordered a scallop appetizer that was large enough for her meal, while her boyfirend ordered the coconut and red curry seafood dish. My husband ordered the swordfish and I ordered the beet salad and tuna tartar. Reservations are a must-especially on the weekend-since Jumpin Jays is a local favorite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday dinner for J-manJmanDined on 9/10/2014Jumpin Jays staff as well as the food was wonderful. We were celebrating a special birthday and requested a window table. The window table that was given to us was perfect. Enjoyed the special attention of the staff and will look forward to returning to your restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food Fare and ServiceChubbyLemonDined on 9/8/2014We were recommended this from a long time local and we were not disappointed … The food is Fresh as can be … busting with simple delectable flavours … There are so many choices … the fish can be paired with some great choice sauces each more inviting than the other. in Conclusion .. Try this place and you will not be dissappointed ...Special Features:
- Very nicenhtheatremomDined on 9/8/2014Always a good choice for dinner. Selection varies so good for those who like all kinds of sea food.Special Features:
- Well-prepared fishDallasdinerVIPDined on 9/5/2014Enjoyed Jumpin Jays. Fun setting. Crab cake was good, Caesar salad flavorless. Cod was perfectly prepared, but not a very appetizing presentation -dumped on a glob of mashed potatoes. Mustard sauce was over-whelming and made it difficult to taste anything else. Excellent baby beets. I would return, but make different choices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wow!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/31/2014I have lived in Portsmouth for years and have never had the pleasure of dining at Jumping Jays. When two friends visited from out of town, the restaurant caught their eye and I booked a reservation. We all loved the look of the restaurant, the variety of food items available and the drink selection. Our meals were delicious as was desert. I look forward to recommending this restaurant to others and visiting again soon.Special Features:
- Fabulous!fanoffishDined on 8/31/2014Have been three times to this restaurant, its a favorite in this area . It is a great place for fish lovers, with a choice of at least 6 kinds of fish, and it notes where each came from. Select one of 6 sauces, or get a sampler. Also some great signature dishes, and something for those who don't like fish. Service is outstanding! You should have a reservation to eat here, they get busy. Good raw bar and choice of appetizers.Special Features:
- REGARDVIPDined on 8/28/2014only one nightin Portsmouth, and we picked a winner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.