Jumpin Jays Fish Cafe
150 Congress Street
Portsmouth, NH 03801Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
Jumpin Jays Fish Cafe
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.jumpinjays.com/
- Phone: 6037663474x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood
- Executive Chef: Marty Rumley
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Private Functions available Sunday through Thursday and can accommodate up to 60 people. Please call for details.
- Private Party Contact: Katharine McGrath 6037663474x
- Cross Street: Middle Street, Maplewood Avenue, Islington Street
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Jumpin' Jay's Fish Cafe FREE PARKING on the corner of MIDDLE ST & MILLER AVE...less than three blocks away...a short 4 min & 39 second walk...enjoy the scenery and historic homes of Portsmouth!
Metered Parking is available across the street from Jumpin' Jay's.
Parking Garage is available on the corner of High & Hanover Street.
A word from Jumpin Jays Fish Cafe
Located in historic downtown Portsmouth, New Hampshire, Jumpin' Jay's Fish Cafe is known to the locals as a fun & lively restaurant with friendly and knowledgeable service. Going on 14 years, we continue to pride ourselves with innovative seafood dishes and the freshest fish menu in Portsmouth. You can also enjoy fabulous wines from around the world, one of our famous martinis, or a locally brewed beer. Our Raw Bar offers a variety of the freshest oysters and clams found anywhere. Whether you prefer a cozy table or our full service, non-smoking bar, we guarantee a memorable experience!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
Jumpin Jays Fish Cafe - Best Restaurants in Portsmouth ›
Jumpin Jays Fish Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
232 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (144)neighborhood gem (98)special occasion (78)hot spot (57)good for groups (57)vibrant bar scene (35)romantic (23)notable wine list (18)kid-friendly (14)great for lunch (11)late-night find (10)great for brunch (5)scenic view (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Excellent experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/27/2014Entertaining a party of six. The food, and the experience, was excellent.Special Features:
- slight hiccupOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/27/2014As usual the fish is SOOOO fresh and tasty. Only issue is the meals came with lukewarm mashed potatoes and COLD asparagus. My Dad had to send his whole meal back for warming. This is an anomoly however as we frequent Jay's a good deal. Maybe if they turned the AC down a bit the food would not cool off so fast either waiting for pick up or even while eating at the table (FOod gets cold quick even when served hot). Just be sure to mention you want to be sure the meal is HOT and I am asure they will take care of you, The waitress was very nice and got my Dad's meal back pretty quick.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great fresh fish!OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/25/2014If you like fish, Jumpin Jays is the perfect spot. It looks unassuming from the outside, but the fish is extremely fresh and the preparation is very creative. I highly recommend Jumpin Jays!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/25/2014Excellent food and a good place to meet friends for dinner
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/23/2014Our server was excellent. The other staff seemed almost snobby but it is Portsmouth in the summer! The atmosphere is good, A little on the noisy side (staff dropping glasses and lots of clanging of dishes). Food was outstanding. The Haddock Piccatta was out of this world.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another amazing meal!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/22/2014Wonderful dinner, great service. Halibut was cooked to perfection & the lobster velouté sauce never disappoints! My dinner companion was about an hour late & the hosts were very accommodating & patient as well!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loving JaysLNMFoodLoversVIPDined on 8/22/2014This was our first time to Portsmouth, and were delighted that we selected the best seafood restaurant. Every dish we had was fresh, creative, and well prepared. Our server was so helpful with his recommendations and service. Do not skip this restaurant. Jay's is now one of our favorites, and we are die hard seafood lovers.Special Features:
- They know how to cook FishCarmensensemanVIPDined on 8/22/2014Very creative presentations with the fish, several differnt kinds, cooked to perfection. Specials are always spot on. If you want fresh seafood...this is the best place to go in Southern Maine and the Seacoast.
- KickstartkickstartDined on 8/21/2014We enjoyed our dining experience the staff was very attentive and cordial the food was outstanding we live on Long Island and already Spoke to friends about returning for another visit .to try other items on the menus .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor timingOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/21/2014Usually a highlight of summer dining with fresh seafood caught locally. This visit the service was extremely slow and the entrees were overcooked. Hopefully that will be fixed next time.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best meal I had on vacationtravelgirlDined on 8/20/2014This was not the first time I've eaten at Jumpin Jays, I come here whenever I find myself in Portsmouth. Literally, the best thing I've ever eaten is their Pear Radicchio salad! Sounds strange, but you literally have to put down your fork and take a breath after every bite! I always order it, and never expect it to be as good as I remember, but it never fails! I followed it up with the Haddock Piccata, which was fantastic! Reservations are normally required, since this is such a popular place. Don't miss out on this incredible dining experience!Special Features:
- localguyVIPDined on 8/19/2014We had the haddock piccata and it was great. Our server was very attentive.Special Features:
- Fresh fish, rushed servicelikesgoodfoodDined on 8/18/2014On a recent Monday night, the fish seemed very fresh, but the halibut in the nightly special was overcooked and dry: a common but disappointing treatment of a delicate and expensive piece of fish. The haddock piccata special was quite good. Mussels were very small, and we had to ask for bread to enjoy the flavorful broth. (Mussels in sauce served without bread?) Our server was cheerful and helpful, but seemed to be in a constant rush, as did the other servers around us. Our entrees arrived before the wine we had ordered to accompany our main course. With cocktails, appetizer, and entree, we were in and out in less than an hour: not the relaxing dinner we had planned for the final night of our vacation.
- Very good seafoodkbnyVIPDined on 8/17/2014Loved jay's special coconut curried seafood - delish - the corn gave it a nice crunch. My daughter had the salmon with mango salsa & loved it as well. Very flavorful, fresh and nicely plated.Special Features:
- That's fresh fishTommyVIPDined on 8/17/2014I like this restaurant! My wife's not so sure about the, decor. Late fifties? Early sixties? "Simple"? But you're not going to get better fish. Five or six on every nights menu, anyway you like it. Oysters. Mussels. This is a great fresh fish restaurant. Very, very good service. Quick, efficient, friendly table service. And these aren't your art-house portions, that's a good solid piece of sea bass or halibut there. Make no mistake, this is a linen table cloth, napkin restaurant, and it has it's own huge bar!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MaryDined on 8/17/2014This is a great restaurant. We have been eating here since it opened, and the quality has always been top notch. They offer different entree fish each night based on what is the freshest available. The oysters are superb. Jumpin Jays is highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dmelovesportsmouthDined on 8/16/2014Incredible food every time we eat here. Glad to see that they are a part of "Open Table".Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently great!jomayDined on 8/15/2014My husband and I have been dining here for years and they do everything well here. We've never been disappointed with our meal or service. It's the perfect place to take guests if you want to impress them with Portsmouth.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!BwlrVIPDined on 8/15/2014We were delighted with our first visit. The restaurant will be our first choice on our next visit to Portsmouth.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice place, good food.DoctaTuckDined on 8/15/2014Overall impressed. Food was tasty, especially the clam chowder, but a little costly for regular dining (though I suppose average for a seafood restaurant).Special Features:
- Always a great mealSusieDined on 8/13/2014We have been here many times and the fish is always fresh and delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OTDinerVIPDined on 8/12/2014Service was very slow. Waited over 40 minutes for our dinner.
- Good SeafoodPeggyBDined on 8/11/2014Excellent seafood especially for those that love fish.
- Consistently Outstanding!WoodeyeDined on 8/11/2014Every visit to Jumpin' Jay's is a treat! Although the menu isn't large, it covers all the bases completely, making use of locally sourced ingredients prepared to perfection. Also, the wine list is both extensive and varied. The service is warm, very knowledgable, attentive without being intrusive. We know we can always count on consistently excellent meals on every visit!Special Features:
- You cannot find fresher fishOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/11/2014In short, Jay's Haddock piccata is a signature dish that makes it difficult to order somthing else. Always so fresh and delicious. Mussels are also the best, although we opted for a lighter dinner and skipped the app on this one occasion.Special Features:
- amazingtravellingcariVIPDined on 8/8/2014We had a lot of choices while in Portsmouth and this one came well recommended. It may have been the best seafood I've had other than once when the fish was swimming a half hour previously. Raw bar has some amazing appetizers - including a choice of oysters from various New England locations *and* a description, which most places don't do. Their crab cakes and linguine with clam sauce were also amazing. No hesitation at a couple special requests and when we tried and liked a new to us wine, the waitress took a picture of the bottle for us so we could find it again. There are many good choices in Portsmouth, but I'd come here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't be beat for great seafoodllamasandlambsDined on 8/8/2014Every meal I have had at Jumpin Jays has been outstanding. It is pricy, but nobody does fish and seafood better. I make it a point of having at least one meal at Jumpin Jays every time we are in Portsmouth.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EsOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/6/2014Expensive and not so great tasting. Small to tiny portions. Very disappointed.
- Loads of energyAwesomeDined on 8/6/2014Our meal was delicious! I was amazed on the level of energy the servers had a they were moving at a high rate of speed. (like little beavers building a dam)Special Features:
- Great seafood a lot of varietyJerrylDined on 8/6/2014Went to dinner this week and we had two mainstays on their menu one was a haddock the other was the curried fish a medley of shrimp, scholops and haddock both meals were excellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Fish, pure and simplemenemshaDined on 8/3/2014Jumpin Jays is truly that. Of our three nights out in Portsmouth, this was the best meal and came in most affordable as well. The ambiance is more basic diner than anything else, but that was fine for us as my swordfish and my wife's char were cooked impeccably. Noisey? yeah but not overwhelming so and we didn't mind it - we simply loved the food. Service was prompt with a smile but not pushy. We were in and out relatively quickly, but happy to be on to some live music Gaslight.Special Features:
- Great Dining ExperiencefanoffishDined on 8/2/2014Casual friendly atmosphere, with great food and service. Mainly a fish restaurant, the menu lists where each of their fish come from. Enjoy their signature dishes, or build your own seafood dish with their great sauce selections. We did both, and were happy with it all!Special Features:
- One Good and One BadOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/2/2014My dinner was great! My wife ordered scallops. They were dry and in one bite she almost broke a tooth when there was a small shell still attached to the scallop. Probably just bad luck on that one. My meal was fantastic.Special Features:
- Excellent dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/2/2014There were 6 people in our party and everyone enjoyed their appetizers, drinks and meals. The waitress was very friendly and took great care of us! We would all definitely go back.Special Features:
- Love itJanEdDDined on 8/1/2014Again, another great meal! We will be back on our next trip to Portsmouth.Special Features:
- Yummy!colgateDined on 8/1/2014We both had the Haddock Piccata and it was super delicious. So were the yellow beets (and I'm not a beet lover!). Jumpin' Jays NEVER disappoints!
- CamkDined on 7/29/2014Consistently good as expected. The prrovincal linguine with scallops was delicious. This has been a favorite for fish and the quality stands up to the taste. Restaurant gets busy so reservations I find are always a good idea.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Place for Fresh Fish-but rushedNHdinerDined on 7/29/2014Jumpin Jay's is a favorite place for us to stop in Portsmouth. The fish is always fresh, beautifully and artfully prepared. Our server was great, however the restaurant was very obviously attempting to rush people through in order to get a second seating. Too prompt, even took my glass of wine away before it was finished. Not good. This was on a Tuesday night, with a reservation made - not even the weekend! They need to relax and manage their space more appropriately.Special Features:
- RonJBDined on 7/26/2014The food was really very good. All four of us were happy with our dishes. It took a very long time for our food to come out though, which was quite frustrating. Also, the manager was not very accommodating. My husband didn't want the haddock in a dish with shrimp, scallops & haddock. He was told that even without the haddock, he would be charged $8 for one extra scallop, which seemed a little over the top.Special Features:
- we love this placeDependable66VIPDined on 7/25/2014My wife and I will hit Jumpin Jays whenever we're in Portsmouth. The freshest seafood, the best raw clams, and fish. Don't miss it.Special Features: