138 E Canon Perdido St
Santa Barbara, CA 93101Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://restaurantjulienne.com/
- Phone: 8058456488
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm; Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fusion / Eclectic, Californian, French
- Executive Chef: Justin West
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Julienne
We are focused on bringing you local flavors that reflect the seasonality of the Santa Barbara Farmers Market. We are seeking to exemplify regional cuisine such as that in Europe and other parts of the world. Our feeling is that by using as many local ingredients as possible we can develop dishes that are truly Santa Barbara's cuisine.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerCalifornian
Julienne - Best Restaurants in Santa Barbara ›
Julienne reviews from OpenTable diners
77 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (68)special occasion (36)neighborhood gem (35)romantic (23)notable wine list (19)hot spot (10)good for groups (6)great for lunch (5)great for brunch (1)scenic view (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- date nightOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014The food was great! Noteably the mussles as an appetizer. Wow! The fried quail was also very good. The salad with goat cheese was nice, but they didn't hold the walnuts as I requested and I was unable to enjoy it. (Allergies) my wife liked it though! My main issue was the hostess.. We had an 8:00 reservation and showed up at 8:00. She said someone was just finishing up and it would be a couple of minutes. So we gave her our phone number and went next door for a drink, no problem. At 8:40 we went back to check. She totally forgot and gave our table to someone else. I asked if we could sit at the bar, so we had half our dinner there and half at a table.. We will give them another try sometime, only because the food really is good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful, romantic, A+OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014Went here for a special occasion date (came up from LA for the weekend), at the suggestion of a coworker. Was really impressed - incredible food and a great ambiance. Intimate and romantic without being too stuffy or quiet. We did the 4 course tasting menu, which was probably 1 course too many, but everything was top notch. This is a great spot for a date, a special occasion, or just wanting to treat yourself out to a night of imaginative, delicious food and terrific wine list. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- 2 couples were happyOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/17/2014The food at Julienne is excellent - we all ordered the taster paired with wine and the dishes and pairings were top notch. Although pricey, you get what you pay for and that is a great meal, interesting dishes, excellent execution of food. My only complaint would be the server was kind of grouchy. Other servers were nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent menujasentamiDined on 10/11/2014Julienne is a great little gem off the beaten track in Santa Barbara. The food was outstanding and definitely 'foodie worthy'. We enjoyed a Tasting Menu that included everything from a charcuterie plate to braised beef cheeks. Outstanding food, relaxed, no rush atmosphere and a very nice evening.Special Features:
- OutstandingfoodieDined on 10/3/2014Julienne is an absolute gem to Santa Barbara. The food is creative, without being overdone. We tend to forget about this quant downtown location but LOVE every time we eat there. Need to get it on a regular dining out rotation.Special Features:
- We loved itgretagarboDined on 10/2/2014The food is great, interesting, innovative. This Thursday night it was very noisy. Can that be fixed with some ceiling tiles; I don't know. We chatted with other diners and had a great time. The air-conditioner that you are planning to buy would have been nice but the weather was unusually warm for early October. We live in Huntington Beach and purposely came to town to eat at your place. But it is a bit far. The people sitting next to us were from Montreal. But I assume most were locals and your menu and good friendly service brings them in. Justin, it was nice meeting you. The chicken liver toasts are fabulous as are the salads and dessert. The quail was tasty. We loved it all.Special Features:
- Good food, mediocre serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/27/2014The first thing I want to say is that the food we had at Julienne was very good. I really enjoyed both my salad and main course (rock fish). The service, however, was slow and a little lackluster. We had a reservation for 8:30pm and were promptly seated. Our order was taken and our first course was brought out in a reasonable amount of time. The we waited. It was 9:45 before our main course was served. The table next to us did the tasting menu and they seemed to be receiving food on a fairly regular basis. Maybe if we had done the tasting menu we would not have had a complaint.Special Features:
- ExcellentDinnerDined on 9/27/2014We had a fantastic meal, service was very good with helpful wine tips, and strong recommendations. It was a bit hot inside for the first half of the meal, but they ultimately opened the front door for some fresh, cool air. Would definitely go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Piggy was yummy!!forever23Dined on 9/24/2014We went for the 'pig week' special on a Wed. The food was wonderful and inventive. Who knew mustard in spatzle would be so good? Can't wait to go back and have the appetizer that offers 'tastes' a lot of things.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/19/2014Amazing food and wonderful service. Everything was delicious and the restaurant is just the right size -- the dining experience is intimate and the staff is very attentive. Julienne is quickly becoming our new favorite restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mind-blowingly goodjimstoicDined on 9/16/2014The three of us had the three-course meal, each choosing different courses. I started with the Korean-style beef taco, which was so good it left me thinking I wanted to eat only that for the rest of my life. The ricotta ravioli with roasted strawberries, my second course, disabused me of that notion. My entree was rabbit loin and rabbit sausage over celeriac puree (a special), another delicious revelation. The others were as delighted with their dishes as I was with mine. They said the wines paired by the restaurant were delightful (I don't drink). And the service was brilliant. The meal wasn't cheap, but we dined for over two hours and had a wonderful time. It was a hot night, but fans kept us comfortable, and they are getting A/C.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall okLinaDined on 9/11/2014Service friendly and good, would recommend to book a table on first floor, food overall ok, minimalist on ingrediens e.g. House salad served with one slice Avocado and two Tomato. Heilbut,Fish of the day was overcooked, dessert was not fresh, as indicated in the menuSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I want to like Julienne more...SBgalDined on 9/9/2014A large group, seated in the middle of this restaurant, makes for almost intolerable noise levels. I would have given 1 more star, except for: (1) We were seated right behind the loud group. The noise level kills conversation. There was room up near/by front windows. I should have requested to be moved but my friend was already there and seated. (2) I chose two dishes that clashed with each other. A very rich starter followed by salmon (which came in a bowl of spicy & rich broth). (3) With these prices, why charge $2/per plate for grilled Ciabatta. My guest had chosen the "Little Bit Of Everything" for her meal, so she had nothing to eat for 15-20 min. while I ate my starter.Special Features:
- Wonderful restaurant.sbfoodieDined on 9/6/2014The food is consistently awesome & original. The service if very good. I think its Santa Barbara's best restaurantSpecial Features:
- One of the best in Santa BarbaraPbcnewyorkVIPDined on 8/29/2014The food at Julienne is reliably good and often creative. We come here whenever we are in town--and we live full-time in New York City, so Julienne could compete there! Not a big place so noise is under control. Just wish they had outdoor dining!Special Features:
- fantasticchaq319Dined on 8/29/2014Excellent food, locally sourced ingredients, knowledgeable staff, and an overall amazing experience. I recommend the wine pairing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 3 time (still) luckyJamesRDined on 8/28/20143rd time at Julienne and each time has been fantastic. Great food with an interesting twist (try smoked mussels for starter and beef cheeks for main). Would heartily recommend this place to anyone.Special Features:
- Notable dishDisappointedDined on 8/23/2014All was really good, but the chicken liver pate was really special. OTT with flavor. The steak was prepared very well, but had a béarnaise sauce that was spiked with five spice powder (or similar), weird/differentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ReservationReservationsDined on 8/22/2014When I made a reservation for two and noted it was my wives birthday I was certainly disappointed that they were intended on sitting us on the communal table in the middle of the room. When I questioned this seating I was patronized by the front desk that "the regular tables are only 6 inches more spread apart than the community table". 6 inches is obviously nonsense and a very much unappreciated response. I will certainly be letting my voice heard on Yelp as well and don't plan on returning to this establishment. The food was pretty good though.Special Features:
- MissFoodieDined on 8/19/2014My boyfriend and I used to live in Santa Barbara but now live in Los Angeles and we make it point to come here almost every time we are in town. We are in love with everything about this place, from the amazing seasonal menus to the open kitchen to the opportunity to chat with the owner. I recommend getting the three, four, or five course tasting menu (depending on how hungry you are) and asking for chef's choice. You will get to try new flavors impeccably and interestingly prepared. Atmosphere is sophisticated and comfortable. Waiters are attentive, fun and knowledgable. Owner is passionate and talented. You will not be disappointed!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/16/2014This is probably our favorite restaurant in SB. Most of the others that re "fit for foodies" are way bigger. The food is consistently good, and the staff is friendly and knowledgeable. The atmospherre is casual, yet the food is seriously good.Special Features:
- Going StrongLosFelizNatvDined on 8/16/2014Our table of five all had the make your own 5 course tasting menu and we were all thoroughly satisfied. The wine pairings made the meal all the more special. Standouts included the Gulf shrimp with pork dumplings in a lemongrass broth flavored with jalapeno peppers, the smoked mussels, the fettuciine with fava beans, eggplant and the lightest lemon scented cream sauce, the bouillabasse, and the beef cheeks. Justin West is a great chef.Special Features:
- Extraordinarily flavorful food.OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/13/2014The food here is quite possibly the most interesting and delicious in Santa Barbara, but it's very singular. It's good idea to read the menu before you go to see if it's what you'd like. It's also worthwhile checking whether they have a large group scheduled. If they do, it's extremely noisy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JulienneFrankVIPDined on 8/8/2014The Julienne is great for foodies. If you want to know what is hip in the food world this is the place. My wife had the mussels with chorizo & cannellini beans. I had the chicken fried chicken. Both were amazing. I would have had the beef cheek, but they had runout. I had that the last time and it is a do again. This is a go to place in Santa Barbara, CA.Special Features:
- twice in a weekOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/6/2014We had a 2 x 2 incredible meals here. The restaurant itself is assuming in terms of decor. What I like about this is that you get the feeling that they are not trying to craft a brand identity that will get stale in a few years. You also get a feeling that they are putting their resources into exploring food, and they are definitely doing just that. The arugula salad was off the charts. I know arugula salad sounds a little boring but this one had all kinds of surprises sprinkled throughout. It was like a treasure hunt. I don't know how to describe the chicken-fried-chicken other than it was like an aromatic cloud. The chef owner is so enthusiastic. I Can't wait to return, which I plan to do for my third meal there in a week.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedWillyDined on 8/6/2014This is the second time I ate here. The first time I was pleasantly surprised. This time, I asked for the chef's choice, 3 course tasting menu with pairings. None of the three courses were particularly tasty or well presented. Bland and uninteresting despite excellent service. I won't return.
- Lucky findKazzy25Dined on 8/5/2014My husband and I were visiting SB and happened upon a review for this spot. We opted for the three course tasting menu and were not disappointed. Plating was very appealing. Service was leisurely-European style. The dishes were well seasoned,fresh and unique. My husband loved his mussels and chorizo. The stone fruit salad with oat crumble was delicious as well. We would recommend this spot highly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eclectic DiningCHLAWDined on 8/5/2014Julienne is not your typical restaurant. We enjoyed the home made charcuterie as appetizers, a nice difference from the usual salad choices. I really liked their appetizer called "pickled stuff" which was a nice assortment of vegetables, while my wife found it overpowering. Pickled vegetables are very in now and often served with a main course, which we both like. The choice of entrees are very small with a fish and a meat or poultry dish. We both had the seabass and found it very fresh but too salty for our test. Nonetheless this is a really nice dining experience and I highly recommend it.Special Features:
- Cozy place with big punchlafoodloverDined on 8/2/2014Unexpected gem. Tried set menu with wine paring, unbelievable, especially in small town like Santa Barbara, food. Both pleasant to look at and excellent in taste. Wine paring was excellent too. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SeagipsyDined on 7/31/2014I have always been impressed with the food and service here. I stop by everytime I pass through town. The local yellowtail ceviche and the braised beef cheeks were two of the best plates I have had in the last few years.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Need to improve flavor balanceLuv2dinesanjoseDined on 7/29/2014It has very nice ambiance. The corn bisque was a bit too salty. The sauce/stew accompanying the halibut did not match much the flavor of the fish. The lettuce side accompanying the ravioli was burnt almost to ashes. The cereal Infused ice cream was way too sweet. Maybe it was a bad day, but there some element of refinement missing in the combination of flavors and accompaniments,Special Features:
- avoidlmh1VIPDined on 7/26/2014Sadly disappointing. Terrible service. 50 mins before even a glass of wine was served at our table, which was set down in such a manner that it was practically spilling out the sides of the glass. Distracted and cavalier attitude of waiter, who, after ignoring us most of the evening, stopped by our table at one point to inform us that, "Everything good here? They are still working on your entrees, so we'll just letchya go!" Not certain what that was meant to convey, but eventually we did get our entrees, which were mediocre. Honestly, probably would have enjoyed food if our waiter had been competent. I loved my dining companions, and that was the main reason for dinner, so didn't bother to complain. Overrated by more than a bit.
- Hidden Gem!dp66VIPDined on 7/26/2014we have been going to julienne for almost 5 years now. we drive 2 hours just to eat there. the food is outstanding every time, and the people behind the food couldn't be nicer and more pleasant. this restaurant is as good as, or better, than most bigger name places.Special Features:
- Will go backAdubDined on 7/23/2014If you get a tasting menu, it's a lot of food. No complaints there. The wine list had great selections on it, and our server was friendly and knowledgeable. We had a great dinnerSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special placelunchbunchVIPDined on 7/23/2014I live in LA and this Santa Barbara restaurant is outstanding. I only eat here when I am visiting. I wish it were close to me, I would eat there more often. the tasting Menu is the best, and do get the wine pairing.Special Features:
- Always awesome!mg12VIPDined on 7/22/2014My 5th visit to this restaurant -- every time a very special meal, enough to where I've driven about 75 miles out of my way in order to eat here. One of the best restaurants I've ever eaten at, and I look for an excuse to go to Santa Barbara just so I can eat here! Great job!Special Features:
- Creative stand-outSblocalDined on 7/19/2014Justin West's housemade charcuterie is consistently a standout. On this night, the pork dumplings served in broth with perfectly poached shrimp & padron peppers was also a delicious, creative success. However, the duck breast entree was uninspired and bland. Service is friendly, if rough around the edges (when Emma is not on site), and there is a consistent, over-long wait between first courses and entree. It always seems to take about 20-30 minutes for our entrees after we have finished the previous course.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the greats!212to805Dined on 6/28/2014Having moved to SB from NYC a year ago - we were told by many people to check out Julienne for its farm to table goodness. To be honest, from the outside it always looked a bit stodgy and too "romantic date night" for us. We finally went and were totally impressed by both its casual but smart ambience and ridiculously delicious food. Great service, great vibe, tremendous food. This has quickly moved up to one of the top three restaurants in SB. Well done!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Creative styleBobboVIPDined on 6/24/2014Admittedly, I had only experienced beef cheeks on two previous occasions, none the less, the prep at Julienne's is clearly a diners delight. The cauliflower salad, homemade mortadella,parpadelle pasta,shrimp with pork dumplings and the special deviled egg stuffed with smoked salmon were all consistent with a truly gastronomical event. A bottle of French wine from St. Emillion, sorry don't recall the exact denomination, was a great compliment at a reasonable price. Service was delightful making the evening a total success.Special Features:
- The following 146 reviews are from the Julienne reviews archive.
- goldee59Dined on 6/21/2014I pick this place for special occasions because I always feel special when I leave. It is true SB - fresh, simple, chic and fabulous. some of my favorite meals over the years have been here, cured salmon belly and capers with homemade potato chips, buffalo sweetbreads, and braised beef cheeks with gnocchi.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.