Houston, TX 77002Neighborhood:
Latin / SpanishPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.juliasbistro.com/
- Phone: 7138070090
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 2:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Latin / Spanish, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Jose Garcia
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Julia's Bistro
For a sophisticated lunch business lunch or distinctive dinner with friends opt for our Midtown Nuevo Latino Eatery. Where eclectic flavors or the delicious grilled meats and fish plus many unique "sides" that spice up a setting that is clean and modern.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Julia's Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
11 reviews since May 6, 2014
- Ambiance3.5Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (5)fit for foodies (3)good for groups (3)great for lunch (3)romantic (2)special occasion (1)great for brunch (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- it was closed! :(OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/5/2014we have been to Julia's Bistro several times and the food is always good, even though it can be noisier than we like at peak times. We made reservations through open table and when we got there the restaurant was closed! It was a Saturday night and we had theater tickets for after dinner. We were hosting friends. It was stressful and embarrassing to have to find another restaurant at such late notice. Some one dropped the ball. When I called the restaurant to complain they apologized which is nice, but open table should not book restaurants that are closed! I was told they only closed for one week of vacation. Nevertheless this should not have happened.Special Features:
- Booked table and they are closedOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 6/23/2014Booked the table on this site drove down and they were closed???? wasted my time
- it's Ok...shockerDined on 6/21/2014If you're looking for a Latin dining experience that goes beyond the Mexican palate, add this to your list. We are always looking for that gem that realizes thatlatin food comes from places other than Mexico. We tried the fish, the chicken, and the chocolate/coffee steak. Next time, I'll order the steak. The service left a bit to be desired. Julian for its billing and price range should not skimp on service, and it does. Had it been a full house, OK,but only four tables. This would be that restaurant that I would give a second chance before truly writing a negative review. I enjoyed julias food, it's a huge departure from the usual Mexican that floods Houston,but if you're billing it as a Latin restaurant, meet Latin expectations.
- CaptntrishDined on 6/11/2014Everything was superb! Fresh food, great wine and top notch service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for businessOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/20/2014Took some prospective customers out to dinner here, had a great dinner, and look forward to a promising business partnership.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Filet!!!LittleboDined on 5/10/2014The filet steak here was aweeessssome! Chipotle mashed potatoes good, plantains good. Food cooked to perfection. And reasonably priced. Will return. They didn't have a vacant hight chair at first, only one in whole restaurant, but then the owner/manager found one for us!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 141 reviews are from the Julia's Bistro reviews archive.
- went2dinewent2dineDined on 4/17/2014Love the monthly wine tastings. Always great menu paired with good wines!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful ExperienceLetmedineDined on 4/17/2014We attended a wine dinner and it was more than fantastic! The food was unbelievably wonderful and the wine pairings were impeccable. Service was excellent also. We look forward to returning not only for their next wine dinner, but on a regular basis. The chef's creativity and the freshness of their offerings can not be beat!Special Features:
- Excellent dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/25/2014They also have a fun and reasonable wine-food pairing once a month. Don't let parking availability stop you form trying this great restaurant, they have valet parking.Special Features:
- Try the new fried avocado appetizerWonderWomanVIPDined on 3/10/2014The menu is consistently reliable (e.g., ceviche), and the service is excellent. The new fried avocado is a great addition. We've been going here since 2006, and this restaurant deserves to be a hot spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food for thoughtMomofthreeDined on 2/28/2014If you are looking for a relaxing time, spur of the moment dinner. This place can be good. Music was good and staff very friendly. I would not recommend it if you are looking for a more scenic spot. Parking is limited.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good all-round experiencesoulrebelDined on 2/21/2014The food was very good with crab stuffed avacado a stand-out starter. Service was very attentive and the jazz band playing in the corner were a bonus. The chef came out to see how everything was and even held the door open for us when we left.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food buthoustonfoodieVIPDined on 2/21/2014Way too loud with group of musicians in small space, impossible to talkSpecial Features:
- Great food, good serviceYellowdog762Dined on 2/15/2014The food was terrific! The snapper was some of the best we've ever had. The pork chop was very good, but perhaps cooked 1 minute too long. The ceviche was different than what we've had before but very good. All the sides were good, but the spinach was terrific.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not bad.....but not greatKingKenDined on 2/15/2014Ambience was nice. In general, the patrons were stylish and easy on the eyes. Food was good but not memorable. The biggest complaint was the slow service. i think there was one waiter serving the entire restaraunt. Almost impossible to get any attention.
- Valentine's DayOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 2/14/2014A great Valentine find. The special menu had many choices, and ours were beautifully prepared and presented. Although we had reservations and the room was not 100 % occupied, we had to wait for our table to be prepared. Not terrible, but could have been better. Service was attentive without being intrusive. The music, provided by a jazz trio from Al Jarreau's band played an excellent set, with selections perfect for the occasion. My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed the evening. I would recommend Julia's for an affordable casual pre-theater dinner for couples or groups.Special Features:
- Somewhat disappointingBlackjackDined on 2/14/2014After striking out getting a decent reservation time at several other restaurants for Valentine's Day, I found Julia's Bistro through OpenTable. It had a 5-star rating, and the reviews generally highlighted the quality of the food and service. Our experience was different. We enjoyed the food, which was a set menu. However, the service left much to be desired. Our waiter was inattentive, forgot about drink orders, rushed us through one course and left us waiting through another. It took 20 minutes after the dessert was cleared to finally get the check. Hopefully this was the result of one waiter having a bad evening and not a commentary on the entire staff.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vegetarians not welcomeIzstellarDined on 2/14/2014The meal and the service were lovely, quite over-priced and I was hungry not long after. I am a vegetarian and would not have chosen this place had I been able to look at the set menu before hand because there weren't really any choices for vegetarians except the beet salad, but you wouldn't want to eat that if you're a vegan.Special Features:
- We were greeted and takenOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/8/2014We were greeted and taken to our table by the co-owner. She kept checking on us but not to the point where it became a bother. It is located within walking distance of The Ensemble Theater and other entertainment venues. It offers an intimate atmosphere but is also great for small groups. The wine was superb and reasonably priced. The food is to die for. I had the baked fish which was very delicious and my date had the pork chop and mashed potatoes. The vegetables are steamed which I like very much. We were too full for dessert but they did look inviting. Our server kept checking on us as well and was very familiar with the menu. I would highly recommend Julia's Bistro, which is under new management.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had soup and appetizers,foodnutDined on 2/8/2014We had soup and appetizers, great presentation and tastySpecial Features:
- CapitivatinghappyDined on 2/6/2014An inviting environment. We were treat as special guest. Can't wait until the next wine dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Smelled BadKamiKDined on 1/10/2014I was not a fan of the place when I walked in the door. I guess what really set us off was when we tasted the water and the lemons smelled like sewage!! We walked out as soon as we sat down...
- Delicious!EatoutDined on 1/6/2014The food was delicious, beautifully presented, and seasoned nicely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Year's DelightOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 12/31/2013Julias is a favorite of ours, and New Years Eve was no disappointment. The champagne dinner was wonderful, the staff a perfect blend of friendliness and attentiveness, and the sea bass was some of the best fish my husband and I had ever had the pleasure of eating! Even with a set menu, special requests are handled with ease and efficiency. Kudos to Sara and her wonderful restaurant. Tony and the others too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Year's Eveout2eatVIPDined on 12/31/2013We had a memorable meal at Julia's Bistro for New Year's Eve. It was our first visit there but it won't be our last! We had the four course champagne pre-fixe dinner and every course was delicious. The staff was attentive and knowledgeable. We plan to try one of their monthly wine dinners.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Group night out!joebobDined on 12/28/2013Nine of us went to Julia's for dinner and had a great evening! The food and the service were both excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- quiet, great food and serviceSteveDined on 12/21/2013The food was out of this world and the service very attentive. It's a great place for a quiet, romantic dinner. I recommend it highly!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BEST beef tenderloinpnbdinersVIPDined on 12/19/2013The one thing that sticks in my mind clearly about dining at Julia's is the amazing pepper-crusted beef tenderloin. We finished our dinner and were strongly tempted to order another one to take home. The Latin flair of the restaurant is fun and their Christmas decorations were festive. Portions are size-able (especially the ceviche) and an appetizer, salad, and entree could be split between two.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Before the playWillyDined on 12/14/2013Our evening included going to the Ensemble theatre after dinner. This was a great location in the theater's neighborhood. Food was terrific. Service was very attentive. we'll be back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous Wine DinnerSarahfromTexasDined on 12/12/2013Julia's good is delicious any time, however the wine dinners are particularly fabulous. It was obvious a lot of care and preparation went into the food and wine pairings. The Cigale wine dinner was the best yet. Delicious in every way. The service was top notch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food nice atmospheredougDined on 11/23/2013quite neighborhood feel just the right amount of service complimentary parking around back reasonable wine list give them a try. been here twice food great both timesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- the food was outstanding andRickDined on 11/9/2013the food was outstanding and the service was perfect. one of my favorite restaurants.Special Features:
- Dinner Downtown74DinerDined on 11/2/2013Wonderful place, just south of downtown Houston on Main (near Metrolink station). A limited but thoughtful menu means everyone can find something they like. I have been here twice and both meals were great. Fish dishes were excellent and so were the lamb chops. Sides have a bit of a Mexican/Spanish flair. Worth the trip downtown.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional!PerezkjaDined on 9/27/2013The simplicity of the decor allowed the complexity of tastes to soar with each bite I took. There were so many things on the menu I wanted to delight in, I couldn't decide. We cannot wait to go back! The staff is prompt, friendly and courteous. This is a gem not to be missed!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We love the wine dinners here.jackdiDined on 9/18/2013We love the wine dinners here. The chef's pairings are excellent and the service is great. The restaurant's new management is really listening and following up on all constructive suggestions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wife's Birthday Fantastic DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/6/2013Initial drinks were very tasty with the appetizers chosen The main meals we had were both fantastic The two deserts we had were both fantastic I highly recommend this restaurant to any and all my friendsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerfectionAtticusDined on 8/24/2013Great food and service. I love a quieter restaurant and this fits the bill. I don't know why this place isn't packed but I prefer it this way.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/22/2013The food was good. The wine serve paired well with meals. My guest were greeting and their preparation request were handled quietly and without any problems. The space is very pretty and the flowers were a nice touch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Where is everybody?GigiVIPDined on 8/17/2013Our party of four arrived at 7 on a recent Saturday night. Although we had reservations, they were not necessary as the restaurant was almost empty. We almost considered leaving, as its emptiness made us wonder! However, the food was quite good, starting with the tasty oyster appetizers. There are a variety of tapas choices, as well as full blown entrees, that have a South Ametican flair. Good cocktail and wine list. Considering our positive experience, we were surprised that there were no more than four tables of diners the entire time we were there. I am very glad we chose to stay and encourage others to give it a try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was good but I haveOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/10/2013The food was good but I have to say that I thought it was too expensive for what it was. Portions were small and the food, while good, didn't blow me out of the water.Special Features: