616 J Street
San Diego, CA 92101Neighborhood:
Downtown / Gaslamp
OrganicPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.jsixsandiego.com/
- Phone: (619) 531-8744
- Hours of Operation:
Open for breakfast daily at 7am. Lunch is Monday-Friday 11:30am-2:30pm and Brunch is available on Saturday & Sunday from 10am-2:30pm. Dinner is served daily starting at 5:30pm. Our full menu is available in the bar and lounge, which also features a fun Happy Hour from 4-7pm, weekdays.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, American, Californian
- Executive Chef: Christian Graves
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: For catering information please contact Amber Wright at 619.819.9767 or at Amber.Wright@HotelSolamar.com
- Special Events: Coming Up...
Join us March 26th at 5pm for our 8th annual Shuck 'n' Swallow and watch restaurant teams battle in an oyster shucking and eating competition.
- Cross Street: J and Sixth Ave.
- Public Transit: Trolley and public bus. Broadway & 6th Ave. bus stop. Walk 0.5mi south to J St. & 6th Ave.
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: $10 for 3 hours with restaurant validation and dining receipt; Complimentary Valet parking for lunch guests Monday-Friday 11am-3pm.
A word from Jsix Restaurant
Jsix is an American restaurant featuring small plates of fresh, local farm-to-table produce and sustainably raised meats. We feature community dining tables, a spacious bar and lounge in a comforting, neighborhood atmosphere. Our head bartender, Nate Howell, stocks the bar with quality-focused American spirits and mixes a mean drink.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Jsix Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Downtown / Gaslamp ›
Jsix Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
53 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (31)good for groups (15)neighborhood gem (13)romantic (11)special occasion (11)vibrant bar scene (10)hot spot (9)great for lunch (7)late-night find (7)notable wine list (5)scenic view (4)great for outdoor dining (4)great for brunch (4)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Loud music not so great, but food still deliciousDrFoodieVIPDined on 11/22/2014Was shocked when we walked in and heard pumping techno music like at a random place in Gaslamp. It's nice to see a remodel, but it's so unlike the old vibe, which was casual and pleasant - not trying to be hip and loud. Luckily, they eventually lowered the music (someone must have complained). The remodelled atmosphere is more casual, and they've blocked off the open kitchen so you can't see the chef working - not sure I am crazy about this. But the service was the best we've ever had it here - very efficient and pleasant. And the food is just as good as ever. Chef Graves makes a crazy "beet" salad, in which the red things on the plate are not actually beets (rather radicchio and pomegranate seeds). The beets are hidden at the bottom - golden beet slices that look like cooked apples. Super tasty and inventive. Salmon dish tasted exactly like fall....very good. Perfect au gratin with steak. Jack Fisher's peanut butter and chocolate tart with candied peanuts was much more sophisticated than the menu suggested; very elegant, with very high-quality chocolate - perfect. Not sure if we'll return anytime soon because of the new atmosphere but am happy to recommend it to other friends if they don't mind a loud atmosphere. Food is still great, cocktails are good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely FineYumasteVIPDined on 11/19/2014Jsix is a nicely designed, interesting restaurant tucked into the Kimpton Hotel. Food is well prepared, but not particularly innovative at a level you would expect with it's hipster name. They do have nice charcuterie though. Forgive a bit of a bar rant...We were there on 1/2 price wine Wednesday which was completely silly since 3/4 of their wines were not half price. Seems like the restaurant manager and the bean counters can't agree on what a promotion is. Bar has bad, large, not cocktail friendly ice cubes too...pet peeve of mine. Wine list is nothing special...seems purchased to maximize margin rather than display any real point of view. Staff was attentive, smart and helpful. Other guests seem like the kind of people you'd like to share a restaurant with.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great flavors!2dinersVIPDined on 11/18/2014We had great entrees very well prepared! The bread selection was wonderful as were our salads All in all a great birthday dinner in a comfortable settingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Was the waiter tired ...?PeterDined on 11/15/2014Went on a Saturday to have dinner, and was met by an waiter that was not in the mood for service. When we asked if we could have something different than french fries, the answer NO, not led by..."you can have this or that. He did what he had to, but wasn't in the mood for good service! So sorry for the chef, because the food was excellent, but I'm not sure that I will come back to JSIX.
- Nice experiencejscmeDined on 11/14/2014We have never been and were pleasantly surprised that we were able to get great food fast...we had a show to catch so this was great. Yummy kale salad and salmon. Nice glass of red. Entire wait staff was curteous and seemed to enjoy being there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing DinnerLabbieDined on 11/10/2014We had dinner here thanks to a coupon from Travelzoo. Our starters were delicious but barely lukewarm as was one of our entrees. I had heard nothing but good things about this restaurant and I was disappointed in the temperature of the food It was excellently prepared and presented, but was just not "fresh from the kitchen". It wasn't very busy either so that was no excuse.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice SpotLuv2dineDined on 11/8/2014This was my first time dining here which I picked to help celebrate a friends birthday. Even though it's downtown, parking is easy if you utilize the valet parking from the attached hotel. Cost was only $10 once you have your ticket validated by the restaurant. The restaurant setting was trendy, lightening was low, service was excellent and the food was delicious, but the menu is limited and the prices are a little high, but I new that before I decided to go here. The LoungeSix upstairs made for a great spot to have after dinner drinks and conversation. The view is GREAT but the smoking section seems to occupy one of the best sections. Overall I had a nice time and plan on visiting again. This place would be great for a date.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Impressed as alwaysBYOADined on 11/6/2014This was our first time back to Jsix since the remodel and I wish we went back sooner. The space looks GREAT. The kept everything we loved before - great food and good service - but the atmosphere is better. The whole team, from the server to the hostess, was energetic, attentive, and exceedingly accommodating. The food and ambiance were great as well. We tried several dishes on the menu, and each were excellent. We’ll definitely be back soon.Special Features:
- Great for a group.RizzotoVIPDined on 11/5/201412 of us dined here and everyone loved the food the service and the 1/2 priced Wednesday wine with good selections. We will be back!Special Features:
- The food was outstanding!gfrachelDined on 11/5/2014We went for my husband's birthday and he really enjoyed himself. It was a little pricey but I appreciate that they use local organic ingredients and can modify (if necessary) any dish to make it safe from allergens/food in tolerances such as dairy and gluten. The service was very good. Everyone was attentive and patient and friendly. They have some specials throughout the week that feel like a steal so be sure to look them up if you want a fantastic meal but are on a budget.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- If you like great FoodeyelikegoodeatsDined on 10/28/2014This is the type of place where food is cooked with thought and love. If you are into organic and local food sources, as well as naturally made cocktails - you know the kind with out HFC liquor.....this is a great place. If you insist that eating food with sodium nitrate is your God given right don't go here!!!! Overall, thoughtful, tasty (I had the fried mortadella sandwich) and healthy (but not over the top clean eating.) Yum!Special Features:
- Great for a business breakfastStickerForServiceDined on 10/27/2014Ate twice at this restaurant for breakfast during a conference. The service was fast, the menu options were good, and everything went smoothly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A nice Saturday mealOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014JSix was a very inviting place to eat for our foursome Oct. 18th. When we got there at 6:45 it was apparent they were expecting a large group if about 18 people next to our table. It was very intimate until the large party arrived & the noise level rose to just above comfortable. The service was prompt & professional. The food was very good & uniquely prepared & presented. After dinner we went upstairs to the open air bar which was surprisingly sparsely populated. It looked like a great place to party!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Treated ROYALYFoodGaloreDined on 10/6/2014I highly recommend Jsix. From our hostess Abriana, to our server Jeff we received amazing service and attention. The chef staff outdid themselves to help us celebrate our wedding anniversary! Thank you all for a wonderful evening celebrating our love!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic, food, service, ambianceDotnJohnDined on 10/4/2014A really great dining experience. Staff was super knowledgable and friendly. Service was great, and the food was FANTASTIC! A very ice atmosphere for a fun nite our or a romantic dinner for two. Will definately be back the next time we are in San Diego!Special Features:
- Girls Night OutInnerfatgirlwaspleasedDined on 10/3/2014We had a very nice time, our waitress Michelle was very accommodating. We started with drinks at the rooftop, where you could see beautiful downtown San Diego. They have a big area, with a lounge type feel. Only suggestion for the happy is to add well drinks, not everyone drinks beer before dinner. After having drinks and taking in the beautiful view, we enjoyed a very nice dinner downstairs in the restaurant, that was very cozy. The butterfish was amazing! Our waitress was very sweet, and she even remembered that I noted that we were celebrating a promotion, and gave us an extra dessert to celebrate, so if you add a special request to your reservation, they read it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sunrayDined on 9/28/2014waited an hour for a table but seated at a wall bar stool and did not eat due to lack of waiter service a concert was on that evening and very crowdedSpecial Features:
- Lovely DinnerGoodFoodsGoodFriendsDined on 9/25/2014I tried their restaurant week dinner menu. The food were amazing, from appetizer to dessert. I had rabbit meat pasta, love the pasta they used, great texture. My friend ordered wine, and the first glass wasn't great, so the server brought a new one, and he didn't even charge for the wine. The ambiance was great, perfect for a date night.Special Features:
- Way too loudDiner33Dined on 9/18/2014Food and service were great. The rib eye and pork belly were excellent. The noise level was extremely high and this is not a large room. Not going back until they figure out how to fix the acoustics.Special Features:
- Fun place!MonCheriDined on 9/17/2014Picked this place for a recent business meeting and mini reunion with former co workers. The staff was very attentive and the selection of food was unique and delicious.Special Features:
- buenabrendaDined on 9/14/2014Had breakfast, love the decor and service but my toast was burnt and the bacon and potatoes were dry, overcooked
- Very good!indocynVIPDined on 9/13/2014My favorite dishes on the menu are the pork belly appetizer and the rabbit fettucine. I do feel that the menu could be updated now and then as there are only 6 entree choices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurant with a rooftop barStacyannDined on 8/24/2014Jsix is a casual high quality, fine dining restaraunt. The service is personable and friendly. The food is delicious and the rooftop bar is pretty great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great MenuBigSurFriendVIPDined on 8/24/2014We had 3 meals here over the weekend and enjoyed every one. Dinner and 2 breakfasts were inventive and delicious. The staff are very friendly and attentive. We will go back when in San Diego.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- overall disappointedjeremykitVIPDined on 8/16/2014I was excited to eat here. I haven't been here since the redesign. I liked the decor and the service was good. I was extremely disappointed with the food. Everything we ordered was overcooked and lacked flavor. I kept thinking something would great. Our dinner was 300 for 5 of us and I do not believe any of us will go back again. Usually ill give a place another try but everything we ate including dessert was bad. Im really dissapointed because I had great experience here in the past
- DisappointingWeLuvFoodVIPDined on 8/6/2014We were fans of the old JSix menu and ambiance. One of our favorites! We hesitated going to try the new menu ever since the renovation, due to the limited menu choices. The entre's ordered, chicken and monk fish were very disappointing for the value and taste, especially compared to other restaurants in the same price range.
- The following 777 reviews are from the Jsix Restaurant reviews archive.
- Didn't expect such a good meal!CarrotMikuVIPDined on 7/25/2014I have to admit, my initial impression wasn't very favorable, as no one acknowledged me at what I thought was the front door. After awkwardly standing at the bar, I was taken to my table. From therein out, I was treated to some amazing service. My food arrived piping out, my scrambled eggs were prepped just as I liked it and the bacon... Ooooh, the bacon! I can't believe I even loved the bread, but.. Yup! My coffee was re-filled before it even hit my re-fill level (and also served hot) and the finale included the wonderful idea of using a wine guide book as a receipt holder. Will definitely be back for more!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great NightOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/13/2014We had never been to JSix before and came across the restaurant through Travel Zoo. We took advantage of their deal because they always have great things and we love trying new places to eat. Our server was great and the food was really good. The only thing that we had trouble with was the lamb meatballs. We felt they were not cooked enough, and the venue went above and beyond to rectify that. My husband and I were enjoying a day and night away from the kiddos and it was a great place to finish our night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good, but could have been betterBettyDined on 7/11/2014We ate here from out of town. The restaurant is in a very walkable area of town from several hotels downtown. the menu was limited with only 5-6 entrees. I ordered the monk fish entree, which was very tasty, however the serving of fish was very small, allowing only 4-5 very small bites. The rest of the plate was filled with vegetables, which were goo, but for $35, I would expect a larger serving of the fish. My Husband ordered the ribeye steak, which was well grilled, but was too salty by his taste. Although saltiness is a personal preference, it is always better to under salt than to over salt.Special Features:
- Would give it a second shotDplumlyDined on 7/11/2014We came for date night using a TravelZoo. We had the lamb meatballs, which were great, and the beet terrine for appetizers. The beets had a jelly consistency that was unusual to me, but it was still tasty with the goat cheese and frisee. For entrees, we had the ribeye - the meat was cooked perfectly, but a little fatty. The onions it came with were delicious, though. The bacon wrapped monk fish had excellent greens and potatoes that kept the meal light, but the monk fish was dominated by the bacon flavor and made it very salty and underwhelming. For dessert, we shared a stone fruit crumble - it was tasty. Overall, it was good, but not overly impressive. I would come back for their Thursday prix-fix menu to give it a second shot.
- Noise level is an issueMarathonManVIPDined on 7/5/2014We loved the food; we highly recommend the roasted tri-color cauliflower side and the potato pancakes with crab. As for the noise, it's impossible to have a conversation with someone across the table unless you shout. For that reason, we will not return.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/4/2014The food was not really what I expected based on the reviews that I had read.the portion of the fish on their monkfish dish was very smal for a $35.00 a plate,the flavor of bacon overpowered it.
- DisappointedDisappointedVIPDined on 7/3/2014We had dined here before and really like it. The new decor is hard and cold looking. The quality of food had declined and the menu uninspiring. The intent is to attract a bar crowd must work for them if they wish to stay in business, because they will not have repeat diners.Special Features:
- Pretty good food.Traveler3Dined on 6/27/2014The only thing bad I can think of is that it took a while to get our food. Other than that, it's all good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ImpressedSuebdooDined on 6/26/2014To be greet greeted with a cocktail is a great way to start the evening... However, I wanted more of the signature evenings wine, and they ran out, even before I could order one glass! Food was unique and delicious and the service exceptional!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the remodelmemarie3Dined on 6/22/2014The decor is so much better and the new menu is great!Special Features:
- Awesome....YayaVIPDined on 6/17/2014Great food, great service....had been there before....and took clients back....they were as well very impressed....Special Features:
- LOVE this place!NikkiMDined on 6/14/2014My husband and I fell in love with JSix over a year ago and it has never disappointed us! We come here for gourmet, without an enormous price tag. We love that the food is sourced locally, the chefs are creative and have a really unique twist, we have never tasted anything that we didn't LOVE. Thank you for treating us to a special anniversary dinner, we hope to see you again soon Michelle!Special Features:
- Food is OK, service is not!CRendersDined on 6/13/2014I no longer wonder why I was able to get a reservation for 4 people on Friday night with only 3 days notice. No other restaurant that I usually go to can accomodate that, and I'll not be coming back to Jsix. Good, interesting, local food, but nothing spectacular. There are two dozen restaurants in San Diego who serve better food than Jsix. The real problem here is the service. Slow servers, laissez faire attitude toward customers, forgotten dishes that we ordered and were still on the bill, poor descriptions of dishes and specials, etc. We were seated at 7:45, and didn't leave until past 10! Very slow and inattentive. Save yourself the time and effort: go somewhere else!
- Healthy? Yes but its more than thatSDFoodloverDined on 6/8/2014The food was fabulous. One person in our party was not so keen on going as he is not as food conscious as the rest of us. He found the food great and is eager to go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.