616 J Street
San Diego, CA 92101Neighborhood:
Downtown / Gaslamp
OrganicPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.jsixsandiego.com/
- Phone: 6195318744x
- Hours of Operation:
Open for breakfast daily at 7am. Lunch is Monday-Friday 11:30am-2:30pm and Brunch is available on Saturday & Sunday from 10am-2:30pm. Dinner is served daily starting at 5:30pm. Our full menu is available in the bar and lounge, which also features a fun Happy Hour from 4-7pm, weekdays.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, American, Californian
- Executive Chef: Christian Graves
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: For catering information please contact Amber Wright at 619.819.9767 or at Amber.Wright@HotelSolamar.com
- Special Events: Coming Up...
Join us March 26th at 5pm for our 8th annual Shuck 'n' Swallow and watch restaurant teams battle in an oyster shucking and eating competition.
- Cross Street: J and Sixth Ave.
- Public Transit: Trolley and public bus. Broadway & 6th Ave. bus stop. Walk 0.5mi south to J St. & 6th Ave.
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: $10 for 3 hours with restaurant validation and dining receipt; Complimentary Valet parking for lunch guests Monday-Friday 11am-3pm.
A word from Jsix Restaurant
Jsix is an American restaurant featuring small plates of fresh, local farm-to-table produce and sustainably raised meats. We feature community dining tables, a spacious bar and lounge in a comforting, neighborhood atmosphere. Our head bartender, Nate Howell, stocks the bar with quality-focused American spirits and mixes a mean drink.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Jsix Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Downtown / Gaslamp ›
Jsix Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
52 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (26)vibrant bar scene (16)good for groups (16)hot spot (11)special occasion (11)neighborhood gem (11)romantic (10)late-night find (9)great for lunch (8)great for brunch (6)notable wine list (4)kid-friendly (4)great for outdoor dining (4)scenic view (3)Show More
- A nice Saturday mealOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014JSix was a very inviting place to eat for our foursome Oct. 18th. When we got there at 6:45 it was apparent they were expecting a large group if about 18 people next to our table. It was very intimate until the large party arrived & the noise level rose to just above comfortable. The service was prompt & professional. The food was very good & uniquely prepared & presented. After dinner we went upstairs to the open air bar which was surprisingly sparsely populated. It looked like a great place to party!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Treated ROYALYFoodGaloreDined on 10/6/2014I highly recommend Jsix. From our hostess Abriana, to our server Jeff we received amazing service and attention. The chef staff outdid themselves to help us celebrate our wedding anniversary! Thank you all for a wonderful evening celebrating our love!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic, food, service, ambianceDotnJohnDined on 10/4/2014A really great dining experience. Staff was super knowledgable and friendly. Service was great, and the food was FANTASTIC! A very ice atmosphere for a fun nite our or a romantic dinner for two. Will definately be back the next time we are in San Diego!Special Features:
- Girls Night OutInnerfatgirlwaspleasedDined on 10/3/2014We had a very nice time, our waitress Michelle was very accommodating. We started with drinks at the rooftop, where you could see beautiful downtown San Diego. They have a big area, with a lounge type feel. Only suggestion for the happy is to add well drinks, not everyone drinks beer before dinner. After having drinks and taking in the beautiful view, we enjoyed a very nice dinner downstairs in the restaurant, that was very cozy. The butterfish was amazing! Our waitress was very sweet, and she even remembered that I noted that we were celebrating a promotion, and gave us an extra dessert to celebrate, so if you add a special request to your reservation, they read it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sunrayDined on 9/28/2014waited an hour for a table but seated at a wall bar stool and did not eat due to lack of waiter service a concert was on that evening and very crowdedSpecial Features:
- Lovely DinnerGoodFoodsGoodFriendsDined on 9/25/2014I tried their restaurant week dinner menu. The food were amazing, from appetizer to dessert. I had rabbit meat pasta, love the pasta they used, great texture. My friend ordered wine, and the first glass wasn't great, so the server brought a new one, and he didn't even charge for the wine. The ambiance was great, perfect for a date night.Special Features:
- Way too loudDiner33Dined on 9/18/2014Food and service were great. The rib eye and pork belly were excellent. The noise level was extremely high and this is not a large room. Not going back until they figure out how to fix the acoustics.Special Features:
- Fun place!MonCheriDined on 9/17/2014Picked this place for a recent business meeting and mini reunion with former co workers. The staff was very attentive and the selection of food was unique and delicious.Special Features:
- buenabrendaDined on 9/14/2014Had breakfast, love the decor and service but my toast was burnt and the bacon and potatoes were dry, overcooked
- Very good!indocynVIPDined on 9/13/2014My favorite dishes on the menu are the pork belly appetizer and the rabbit fettucine. I do feel that the menu could be updated now and then as there are only 6 entree choices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurant with a rooftop barStacyannDined on 8/24/2014Jsix is a casual high quality, fine dining restaraunt. The service is personable and friendly. The food is delicious and the rooftop bar is pretty great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great MenuBigSurFriendVIPDined on 8/24/2014We had 3 meals here over the weekend and enjoyed every one. Dinner and 2 breakfasts were inventive and delicious. The staff are very friendly and attentive. We will go back when in San Diego.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- overall disappointedjeremykitVIPDined on 8/16/2014I was excited to eat here. I haven't been here since the redesign. I liked the decor and the service was good. I was extremely disappointed with the food. Everything we ordered was overcooked and lacked flavor. I kept thinking something would great. Our dinner was 300 for 5 of us and I do not believe any of us will go back again. Usually ill give a place another try but everything we ate including dessert was bad. Im really dissapointed because I had great experience here in the past
- DisappointingWeLuvFoodVIPDined on 8/6/2014We were fans of the old JSix menu and ambiance. One of our favorites! We hesitated going to try the new menu ever since the renovation, due to the limited menu choices. The entre's ordered, chicken and monk fish were very disappointing for the value and taste, especially compared to other restaurants in the same price range.
- Didn't expect such a good meal!CarrotMikuVIPDined on 7/25/2014I have to admit, my initial impression wasn't very favorable, as no one acknowledged me at what I thought was the front door. After awkwardly standing at the bar, I was taken to my table. From therein out, I was treated to some amazing service. My food arrived piping out, my scrambled eggs were prepped just as I liked it and the bacon... Ooooh, the bacon! I can't believe I even loved the bread, but.. Yup! My coffee was re-filled before it even hit my re-fill level (and also served hot) and the finale included the wonderful idea of using a wine guide book as a receipt holder. Will definitely be back for more!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great NightOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/13/2014We had never been to JSix before and came across the restaurant through Travel Zoo. We took advantage of their deal because they always have great things and we love trying new places to eat. Our server was great and the food was really good. The only thing that we had trouble with was the lamb meatballs. We felt they were not cooked enough, and the venue went above and beyond to rectify that. My husband and I were enjoying a day and night away from the kiddos and it was a great place to finish our night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good, but could have been betterBettyDined on 7/11/2014We ate here from out of town. The restaurant is in a very walkable area of town from several hotels downtown. the menu was limited with only 5-6 entrees. I ordered the monk fish entree, which was very tasty, however the serving of fish was very small, allowing only 4-5 very small bites. The rest of the plate was filled with vegetables, which were goo, but for $35, I would expect a larger serving of the fish. My Husband ordered the ribeye steak, which was well grilled, but was too salty by his taste. Although saltiness is a personal preference, it is always better to under salt than to over salt.Special Features:
- Would give it a second shotDplumlyDined on 7/11/2014We came for date night using a TravelZoo. We had the lamb meatballs, which were great, and the beet terrine for appetizers. The beets had a jelly consistency that was unusual to me, but it was still tasty with the goat cheese and frisee. For entrees, we had the ribeye - the meat was cooked perfectly, but a little fatty. The onions it came with were delicious, though. The bacon wrapped monk fish had excellent greens and potatoes that kept the meal light, but the monk fish was dominated by the bacon flavor and made it very salty and underwhelming. For dessert, we shared a stone fruit crumble - it was tasty. Overall, it was good, but not overly impressive. I would come back for their Thursday prix-fix menu to give it a second shot.
- Noise level is an issueMarathonManVIPDined on 7/5/2014We loved the food; we highly recommend the roasted tri-color cauliflower side and the potato pancakes with crab. As for the noise, it's impossible to have a conversation with someone across the table unless you shout. For that reason, we will not return.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/4/2014The food was not really what I expected based on the reviews that I had read.the portion of the fish on their monkfish dish was very smal for a $35.00 a plate,the flavor of bacon overpowered it.
- DisappointedDisappointedVIPDined on 7/3/2014We had dined here before and really like it. The new decor is hard and cold looking. The quality of food had declined and the menu uninspiring. The intent is to attract a bar crowd must work for them if they wish to stay in business, because they will not have repeat diners.Special Features:
- Pretty good food.Traveler3Dined on 6/27/2014The only thing bad I can think of is that it took a while to get our food. Other than that, it's all good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ImpressedSuebdooDined on 6/26/2014To be greet greeted with a cocktail is a great way to start the evening... However, I wanted more of the signature evenings wine, and they ran out, even before I could order one glass! Food was unique and delicious and the service exceptional!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 768 reviews are from the Jsix Restaurant reviews archive.
- Love the remodelmemarie3Dined on 6/22/2014The decor is so much better and the new menu is great!Special Features:
- Awesome....YayaDined on 6/17/2014Great food, great service....had been there before....and took clients back....they were as well very impressed....Special Features:
- LOVE this place!NikkiMDined on 6/14/2014My husband and I fell in love with JSix over a year ago and it has never disappointed us! We come here for gourmet, without an enormous price tag. We love that the food is sourced locally, the chefs are creative and have a really unique twist, we have never tasted anything that we didn't LOVE. Thank you for treating us to a special anniversary dinner, we hope to see you again soon Michelle!Special Features:
- Food is OK, service is not!CRendersDined on 6/13/2014I no longer wonder why I was able to get a reservation for 4 people on Friday night with only 3 days notice. No other restaurant that I usually go to can accomodate that, and I'll not be coming back to Jsix. Good, interesting, local food, but nothing spectacular. There are two dozen restaurants in San Diego who serve better food than Jsix. The real problem here is the service. Slow servers, laissez faire attitude toward customers, forgotten dishes that we ordered and were still on the bill, poor descriptions of dishes and specials, etc. We were seated at 7:45, and didn't leave until past 10! Very slow and inattentive. Save yourself the time and effort: go somewhere else!
- Healthy? Yes but its more than thatSDFoodloverDined on 6/8/2014The food was fabulous. One person in our party was not so keen on going as he is not as food conscious as the rest of us. He found the food great and is eager to go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentWingedmarsupialDined on 6/5/2014Jsix was an excellent experience. The food was well cooked, the drinks were strong and flavourful. Dessert's were excellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good timescaptcoachDined on 5/24/2014My wife and I visted SD from out of town and stayed in thr Gaslamp. We found Jsix online and had a great evening. Free champagne to start and good service. Food was great but our only recomendation is to darken the lightingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Didn't return to form after remodelCmsbeltVIPDined on 5/23/2014While still quite good, JSix didn't recover it's previous stellar form after being closed several months to remodel. Once the best deal in town, the chef's mercy with beverage pairing can now be beat by several of its competitors. The spring salad was light and refreshing and the artichokes and the roasted chile appetizers were outstanding but the wine pairings were poorly chosen. The main courses were disappointing. The squab was dry. The bacon wrapped monkfish showed that fish is one of the few foods that is not usually improved with bacon. Service was cheerful but slow. The remodel eliminated much of the dining space and the bar is now the prominent feature. It seems to have come with less focus on the food.
- Did this place open recently?StillhungryVIPDined on 5/18/2014Really cool spot, but the tables for dinner are accessible only via a squeeze through the bar, which is where the hostess stood. It was hard to figure out. The drinks and food took FOREVER to arrive, and once it did, it was not warm. The fare itself was just fair in flavor.
- Amazing! Love the new JsixMSpearsDined on 5/15/2014Great food, Great Service, Great Cocktails. Super personable staff and accommodating for a picky wife :). The new menu is super fun with the ability to try smaller versions of dishes so you get to sample more items. Love the new bar program the drinks were great!Special Features:
- good food but slow serviceJasonSanDiegoVIPDined on 5/14/2014Went for a lunch with 4 colleagues on a very quiet day, and there was nobody to greet me at the door and show us to the table, it took 15 minutes from getting the menus to being able to place an order, they talked up their lemonade but didn't have enough for refills, we couldn't find a server when we wanted to place our orders, and thy also brought the wrong side dish for a colleague. All minor issues for sure, but they add up.
- ALS2Dined on 5/11/2014Mother's Day Buffet with bottomless Mimosas were great..recommend this place for families. The service was great and the staff were very friendly and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Guidepost42Dined on 5/3/2014We had eaten a JSix about 2 years ago and were totally knocked sideways by the innovative menu. So we were disappointed that some of the innovation was missing from the menu (but not the bar). We were also surprised that part of the dinning room was no longer a dinning room. What we were left with was very good but not terribly original cooking, served by an extremely competent and helpful (and friendly) waiter in an ambience that was not much better than a Dennys. The management of JSix can and should do better. Our last visit made us think management was more concerned with keeping costs down rather than keeping quality up.Special Features:
- Great remodelmemarie3Dined on 5/2/2014Loving the new look and the new menu! Server was very knowledgeable and on point!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bjt602Dined on 4/25/2014delicious fresh food in a very attractive setting but a bit too noisy
- Great find in San Diegosteffers325Dined on 4/25/2014very pleased. Picked this on account of Yelp reviews and it was very good. No disappointment here.Special Features:
- Chef's tasting menuSDlocalDined on 4/12/2014We were celebrating a birthday, plus just couldn't choose from the new and impressive menu, so we decided to splurge on the 5-course tasting menu with wine pairings. I'm so glad we did! We received special courses "off the menu," each accompanied by a generous half-pour of wine. All five courses and wines were separately introduced and explained to us at tableside. Each plate was a taste sensation and we tried wines we would not ordinarily have ever selected ourselves. What a fun and entertaining way for a foodie couple to spend our special evening.... the cocktails are superb, as well! We hope to be back soon and I would definitely recommend the tasting menu here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.