616 J Street
San Diego, CA 92101Neighborhood:
Downtown / Gaslamp
OrganicPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.jsixsandiego.com/
- Phone: 6195318744x
- Hours of Operation:
Open for breakfast daily at 7am. Lunch is Monday-Friday 11:30am-2:30pm and Brunch is available on Saturday & Sunday from 10am-2:30pm. Dinner is served daily starting at 5:30pm. Our full menu is available in the bar and lounge, which also features a fun Happy Hour from 4-7pm, weekdays.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, American, Californian
- Executive Chef: Christian Graves
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: For catering information please contact Amber Wright at 619.819.9767 or at Amber.Wright@HotelSolamar.com
- Special Events: Coming Up...
Join us March 26th at 5pm for our 8th annual Shuck 'n' Swallow and watch restaurant teams battle in an oyster shucking and eating competition.
- Cross Street: J and Sixth Ave.
- Public Transit: Trolley and public bus. Broadway & 6th Ave. bus stop. Walk 0.5mi south to J St. & 6th Ave.
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: $10 for 3 hours with restaurant validation and dining receipt; Complimentary Valet parking for lunch guests Monday-Friday 11am-3pm.
A word from Jsix Restaurant
Jsix is an American restaurant featuring small plates of fresh, local farm-to-table produce and sustainably raised meats. We feature community dining tables, a spacious bar and lounge in a comforting, neighborhood atmosphere. Our head bartender, Nate Howell, stocks the bar with quality-focused American spirits and mixes a mean drink.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Jsix Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Downtown / Gaslamp ›
Jsix Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
60 reviews since March 30 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (32)good for groups (24)vibrant bar scene (21)neighborhood gem (19)hot spot (15)special occasion (14)notable wine list (11)romantic (10)late-night find (10)great for brunch (7)great for lunch (6)kid-friendly (5)great for outdoor dining (2)scenic view (2)Show More
- Didn't expect such a good meal!CarrotMikuVIPDined on 7/25/2014I have to admit, my initial impression wasn't very favorable, as no one acknowledged me at what I thought was the front door. After awkwardly standing at the bar, I was taken to my table. From therein out, I was treated to some amazing service. My food arrived piping out, my scrambled eggs were prepped just as I liked it and the bacon... Ooooh, the bacon! I can't believe I even loved the bread, but.. Yup! My coffee was re-filled before it even hit my re-fill level (and also served hot) and the finale included the wonderful idea of using a wine guide book as a receipt holder. Will definitely be back for more!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good, but could have been betterBettyDined on 7/11/2014We ate here from out of town. The restaurant is in a very walkable area of town from several hotels downtown. the menu was limited with only 5-6 entrees. I ordered the monk fish entree, which was very tasty, however the serving of fish was very small, allowing only 4-5 very small bites. The rest of the plate was filled with vegetables, which were goo, but for $35, I would expect a larger serving of the fish. My Husband ordered the ribeye steak, which was well grilled, but was too salty by his taste. Although saltiness is a personal preference, it is always better to under salt than to over salt.Special Features:
- Would give it a second shotDplumlyDined on 7/11/2014We came for date night using a TravelZoo. We had the lamb meatballs, which were great, and the beet terrine for appetizers. The beets had a jelly consistency that was unusual to me, but it was still tasty with the goat cheese and frisee. For entrees, we had the ribeye - the meat was cooked perfectly, but a little fatty. The onions it came with were delicious, though. The bacon wrapped monk fish had excellent greens and potatoes that kept the meal light, but the monk fish was dominated by the bacon flavor and made it very salty and underwhelming. For dessert, we shared a stone fruit crumble - it was tasty. Overall, it was good, but not overly impressive. I would come back for their Thursday prix-fix menu to give it a second shot.
- Noise level is an issueMarathonManVIPDined on 7/5/2014We loved the food; we highly recommend the roasted tri-color cauliflower side and the potato pancakes with crab. As for the noise, it's impossible to have a conversation with someone across the table unless you shout. For that reason, we will not return.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/4/2014The food was not really what I expected based on the reviews that I had read.the portion of the fish on their monkfish dish was very smal for a $35.00 a plate,the flavor of bacon overpowered it.
- DisappointedDisappointedVIPDined on 7/3/2014We had dined here before and really like it. The new decor is hard and cold looking. The quality of food had declined and the menu uninspiring. The intent is to attract a bar crowd must work for them if they wish to stay in business, because they will not have repeat diners.Special Features:
- Pretty good food.Traveler3Dined on 6/27/2014The only thing bad I can think of is that it took a while to get our food. Other than that, it's all good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ImpressedSuebdooDined on 6/26/2014To be greet greeted with a cocktail is a great way to start the evening... However, I wanted more of the signature evenings wine, and they ran out, even before I could order one glass! Food was unique and delicious and the service exceptional!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the remodelmemarie3Dined on 6/22/2014The decor is so much better and the new menu is great!Special Features:
- Awesome....YayaDined on 6/17/2014Great food, great service....had been there before....and took clients back....they were as well very impressed....Special Features:
- LOVE this place!NikkiMDined on 6/14/2014My husband and I fell in love with JSix over a year ago and it has never disappointed us! We come here for gourmet, without an enormous price tag. We love that the food is sourced locally, the chefs are creative and have a really unique twist, we have never tasted anything that we didn't LOVE. Thank you for treating us to a special anniversary dinner, we hope to see you again soon Michelle!Special Features:
- Food is OK, service is not!CRendersDined on 6/13/2014I no longer wonder why I was able to get a reservation for 4 people on Friday night with only 3 days notice. No other restaurant that I usually go to can accomodate that, and I'll not be coming back to Jsix. Good, interesting, local food, but nothing spectacular. There are two dozen restaurants in San Diego who serve better food than Jsix. The real problem here is the service. Slow servers, laissez faire attitude toward customers, forgotten dishes that we ordered and were still on the bill, poor descriptions of dishes and specials, etc. We were seated at 7:45, and didn't leave until past 10! Very slow and inattentive. Save yourself the time and effort: go somewhere else!
- Healthy? Yes but its more than thatSDFoodloverDined on 6/8/2014The food was fabulous. One person in our party was not so keen on going as he is not as food conscious as the rest of us. He found the food great and is eager to go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentWingedmarsupialDined on 6/5/2014Jsix was an excellent experience. The food was well cooked, the drinks were strong and flavourful. Dessert's were excellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good timescaptcoachDined on 5/24/2014My wife and I visted SD from out of town and stayed in thr Gaslamp. We found Jsix online and had a great evening. Free champagne to start and good service. Food was great but our only recomendation is to darken the lightingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Didn't return to form after remodelCmsbeltVIPDined on 5/23/2014While still quite good, JSix didn't recover it's previous stellar form after being closed several months to remodel. Once the best deal in town, the chef's mercy with beverage pairing can now be beat by several of its competitors. The spring salad was light and refreshing and the artichokes and the roasted chile appetizers were outstanding but the wine pairings were poorly chosen. The main courses were disappointing. The squab was dry. The bacon wrapped monkfish showed that fish is one of the few foods that is not usually improved with bacon. Service was cheerful but slow. The remodel eliminated much of the dining space and the bar is now the prominent feature. It seems to have come with less focus on the food.
- Did this place open recently?StillhungryVIPDined on 5/18/2014Really cool spot, but the tables for dinner are accessible only via a squeeze through the bar, which is where the hostess stood. It was hard to figure out. The drinks and food took FOREVER to arrive, and once it did, it was not warm. The fare itself was just fair in flavor.
- Amazing! Love the new JsixMSpearsDined on 5/15/2014Great food, Great Service, Great Cocktails. Super personable staff and accommodating for a picky wife :). The new menu is super fun with the ability to try smaller versions of dishes so you get to sample more items. Love the new bar program the drinks were great!Special Features:
- good food but slow serviceJasonSanDiegoDined on 5/14/2014Went for a lunch with 4 colleagues on a very quiet day, and there was nobody to greet me at the door and show us to the table, it took 15 minutes from getting the menus to being able to place an order, they talked up their lemonade but didn't have enough for refills, we couldn't find a server when we wanted to place our orders, and thy also brought the wrong side dish for a colleague. All minor issues for sure, but they add up.
- ALS2Dined on 5/11/2014Mother's Day Buffet with bottomless Mimosas were great..recommend this place for families. The service was great and the staff were very friendly and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Guidepost42Dined on 5/3/2014We had eaten a JSix about 2 years ago and were totally knocked sideways by the innovative menu. So we were disappointed that some of the innovation was missing from the menu (but not the bar). We were also surprised that part of the dinning room was no longer a dinning room. What we were left with was very good but not terribly original cooking, served by an extremely competent and helpful (and friendly) waiter in an ambience that was not much better than a Dennys. The management of JSix can and should do better. Our last visit made us think management was more concerned with keeping costs down rather than keeping quality up.Special Features:
- Great remodelmemarie3Dined on 5/2/2014Loving the new look and the new menu! Server was very knowledgeable and on point!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bjt602Dined on 4/25/2014delicious fresh food in a very attractive setting but a bit too noisy
- Great find in San DiegoOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/25/2014very pleased. Picked this on account of Yelp reviews and it was very good. No disappointment here.Special Features:
- Chef's tasting menuSDlocalDined on 4/12/2014We were celebrating a birthday, plus just couldn't choose from the new and impressive menu, so we decided to splurge on the 5-course tasting menu with wine pairings. I'm so glad we did! We received special courses "off the menu," each accompanied by a generous half-pour of wine. All five courses and wines were separately introduced and explained to us at tableside. Each plate was a taste sensation and we tried wines we would not ordinarily have ever selected ourselves. What a fun and entertaining way for a foodie couple to spend our special evening.... the cocktails are superb, as well! We hope to be back soon and I would definitely recommend the tasting menu here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!!EsnozDined on 4/11/2014Everything was beyond our expectations! Quality of food was exceptional and fresh! We had gluten free needs and it was catered to with pleasure! Service was wonderful. Chef came out to meet us. Halibut was the best we have ever had! This place is impressive!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worst dinner in a whileJJPPVIPDined on 4/6/2014Mediocre food, horrible (and downright rude) service, high prices - what else do you want to know? The have a short wine list and were out of the first two I asked for. The food sounded good on the menu but was essentially tasteless - mediocre ceviche, uninspired fried avocado, over cooked steak, completely bland and overcooked halibut. I guess this place only survives thanks to hotel guests. The revamping seems to have made things worse if you ask me.
- The following 748 reviews are from the Jsix Restaurant reviews archive.
- Great Cuisine, Need to Relax:)OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 4/2/2014Food and service ( Michelle) was very good, but the music to much to take loud and heavy didn't relax a bit Too much Driving Modern music. Chef Christian can COOK, Eat your Organic Vegetables!!Special Features:
- Outstanding Chef!kricdcDined on 3/28/2014While visiting San Diego, my husband and I met up with two friends for dinner. We picked Jsix based on some of the reviews on open table and were not disappointed. This play was one of the best meals we have had in a long time! Our server was attentive and friendly and he did a great job with a couple of wine pairings. The food was outstanding and it was nice to be able to thank the chef as he walked around checking on the tables. The halibut and the pork meatballs were two of our favorite dishes, not to mention the strawberry tart for dessert! I would highly recommend this place to anyone interested in a great food at a reasonable price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice decor.sgsgDined on 3/23/2014trendy, nicely designed decor. it's a hotel restaurant though, which I didn't realize when booking through OT! went for Sunday brunch on a special occasion and the menu was minimal. Parking in the area was tough. Nothing super special about it, but a good basic breakfast.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Winter breakJS67Dined on 3/18/2014So happy checking Fodor's resulted in trying Jsix. I was actually looking for a restaurant with more vegetarian selections, but the organic description intrigued me as well as the dinner menu selections. With the service and food so enjoyable, I would never have guessed Jsix had only been open a month.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Healthy but slim pickings!RadyVIPDined on 3/16/2014If you're looking for a large breakfast of pancakes with bacon or a couple of eggs with bacon, toast, etc, this is not the place. There's an egg white omelet and many different options for a yogurt parfaits, but not much "standard " breakfast food. Service was fast and friendly.
- Order the Chef's MercyBreezeVIPDined on 3/1/2014I've been to this restaurant five or six times and always order the Chef's Mercy. It's a 5-course tasting menu. I get it with the wine pairing. You can tell the chef if you have any food allergies or significant aversions (e.g., I don't like Ginger), and then just be surprised with each course. It has never disappointed. And it's always more food than you can eat. I usually take most of the main course home.Special Features:
- An Often Overlooked RestaurantFilmJockeyDined on 3/1/2014Because of the vibrant bar scene, rooftop access, and its service to the Hotel Solamar, the restaurant side of JSix remains under-appreciated. Its diverse menu of select organic foods and wines is a welcoming, refreshing change from larger, tedious menus of other downtown establishments. The service really shines. I recommend reservations due to its smaller size, and the crab cakes and pork chop!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved the whole experience!Officialtaster1Dined on 2/28/2014What a special and delightful surprise! We will make this a dinner destination whenever we are in San Diego.Special Features:
- Good for LunchLouRDined on 2/28/2014I had to meet an out of town friend for a business lunch and needed a quiet place to talk. The restaurant made a special salad for me and it almost came the way that I wanted it. I had requested no pine nuts but the salad came with nuts anyway (they were fine but not on my diet). My colleague had a hamburger which he claimed was terrific. It came almost raw and was sent back to the kitchen with great apologies. I was almost done with my salad by the time the hamburger re-arrived. I was a bit surprised that they didn't comp us for at least part of the meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AMAZING!CGSnJSSDined on 2/21/2014Had dinner at the newly remodeled JSix on Friday night. First off, the renovation is incredible... great ambiance and feel throughout. The craft cocktails were incredibly creative, well balanced and unique, all inspired by different parts of the country. The food was amazing; highlights for me were the crab pancakes, the raw organic sweet pea salad, and the braised rabbit and spinach pasta. Each dish was a fresh and innovative, and I loved that the ingredients are locally sourced. Our server was fantastic, he checked on us gracefully throughout the night . We have been looking for a great upscale dining spot downtown that isn't just another steakhouse chain, and finally found it at the new JSix! Absolutely delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner at Jsix was amazing.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/21/2014Dinner at Jsix was amazing. The renovations look great and the food is delicious. Matt was a great server and very knowledgable about the new menu and beverages. I would suggest the smokes salmon salad as an app and the halibut or steak for a main. This is one of my favorite restaurants downtown. Keep up the great work Jsix!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful ExperienceDineistVIPDined on 2/21/2014I've been looking forward to the re-opening with high hopes, and our dinner experience on 2/21/14 did not disappoint. From the moment we walked in, we were constantly wowed by the stellar service. The interior is very inviting and surprisingly a bit quirky, and we loved all of it. For the most part, the starters and appetizers (strawberry salad, taro chips/green strawberry salsa (a bit flat) chicken meatballs bathed in a symphonic broth, and crab pancakes with generous heapings of crab meat) we shared were both innovative and delicious. Both our entrees, halibut and chicken, were flavorful, moist, and delectable. Looking forward to a return visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but not greatNewyorkerDined on 2/19/2014We are New Yorkers from Manhattan and we are foodies so our bars might be a bit high... The Great, Good, Bad, Ugly: The Great was the service...our waitress was fabulous - knew the menu extremely well and was able to explain nearly everything on what is organic, gluten free, veg/meat options The food was Good not Great...all the dishes were presented well but none of them had a wow factor. It was my mother-in-law's birthday and we had probably 5 starters and 3 entrees so we had a good subsection of the menu. Our favorite item on the menu Rainbow Beets or Crab Pancake... The Bad and Ugly was the location of their restroom...they didn't have one. You had to go outside into the hotel next door through the lobby and hang a left...???Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.