J's on Jackson
1101 Jackson St
Omaha, NE 68102Neighborhood:
Downtown / Old Market
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
J's on Jackson
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://jsonjackson.com/
- Phone: 4029911188
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 11:00am - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 11:00am - 11:00pm, Sunday: 11:00am - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Zeb Rogers
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from J's on Jackson
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
J's on Jackson - Best Restaurants in Downtown / Old Market ›
J's on Jackson reviews from OpenTable diners
39 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (16)great for outdoor dining (13)romantic (12)neighborhood gem (11)fit for foodies (10)good for groups (10)notable wine list (9)scenic view (7)great for lunch (5)vibrant bar scene (3)late-night find (2)hot spot (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Always GreatDineoutlotsDined on 9/5/2014We had a lovely outdoor dinner at J's. The food and service were spot-on. The arrancini appetizer was one of the best we've had in a long time. Ditto for the crawfish bisque. J 's does an outstanding job with steak. This is one of our go-to places in the Old Market when we want a leisurely meal and a nice atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and servicejlasmDined on 9/5/2014Excellent corner restaurant in the Old Market. Great food and service.Special Features:
- Birthday dinnerDLSJ2Dined on 8/30/2014I recently took my family to J's for a family dinner and found the experience to be quite enjoyable. The service was excellent and the food was great as well.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good For Diverse Group Of DinersFrequentDinerDined on 8/28/2014All five entrees we ordered were delicious. Service was perfect. And we were able to have conversation because it was quiet in the dining room. I would recommend J's on Jackson because the menu provides the variety necessary to satisfy a diverse group of diners.Special Features:
- Nice dininggreatplace2dineDined on 8/28/2014Had a very nice dinner with my long time friend. The food was great. The waitress was very friendly. Food was hot, fresh, and tasty. It was also brought out rather quickly. No long waiting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time DinerYlimeAgoyDined on 8/16/2014Delicious steak and chicken entrees but not unique; moderate by the glass wine selection; beautiful view of Old Market; quality service; more expensive than expected and could not locate what O.T. defines $$ so that may be user error. While this cost per plate ($35 - 40) was a surprise the other prior mentioned attributes made up for it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Free2beFree2beDined on 8/9/2014The outside dining area was nice. Our server seemed over stretched and didn't seem to have time to make recommendations, describe the menu or follow up after our food was served. I ordered the pork medallion which was extremely over cooked and difficult to cut even after I was given a steak knife. My husband ordered the lobster Mac and cheese which was warm at best when it was served. We were looking forward to a nice meal our last night in Omaha, sadly it didn't happen.
- Anniversary DinnerRob10Dined on 8/9/2014First time at this restaurant for 10th anniversary with my wife. They were not too busy when we went at 6:30 on a Saturday night. We started with the Calamari appetizer which was very good. We both had 8 oz. Filet steaks. The steaks were exceptional and cooked perfectly. The server was awesome. We were not rushed and she did not rush us. I never felt like she wanted to move us along to get the table refilled. This is refreshing today, as most places want to push customers through like cattle. The wine list is huge with a great selection of reds and whites. The pricing was in line with what I expected.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A+ appetizersRfhokieDined on 8/5/2014Met here after work with some of my co-workers to celebrate one team member getting married. We ordered Thai Lavosh, calamari and lobster crepes for appetizers. Everything was delicious and the food and drinks came out fast. Have not had a bad meal or appetizer here ever.Special Features:
- Reconized problemsOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/2/2014This was a family dinner of four. Three of us had excellent dinners meeting all our expectations. My son's steak had two issues, he ordered with an Oscar topping, which he did not receive. After that was resolved, he started to dine, and realized the steak, ordered rare, was significantly over cooked. Fortunately the server was attentive and resolved the second issue promptly and with multiple apologies. In the end they also reduced the bill to recognize the issues. So all in all, even sometimes when things are not right, they can be corrected and a dinning experience is awesome, even when it is not.Special Features:
- Overpriced Embarrassment to OmahaJohnHenryDined on 7/31/2014Rib-eye was overcooked, portion of fries and veggie was anemic, desserts were insipid, service was negligent. For the price, go to Anthony's or Brother Sebastian's. An embarrassment to Omaha.
- J's does it againPaulDined on 7/26/2014J's excelled in nearly every area on a busy Saturday night. Our server, Katie, could not have been better. Friendly, knowledgeable, attentive and efficient describe her noteworthy work. Lamb Chops...outstanding and done to perfection. The chicken Oscar was a pleasant surprise, light and flavorful with just the right amount of everything. The Omaha strip was done to perfection, but could have had a little more substance. It was slightly mushy in consistency, but otherwise good. The rib eye was reportedly a bit more gristly than preferred, but satisfactory. We found room, somewhere, for dessert and were not disappointed. The apple crisp and vanilla bean ice cream was excellent. The pudding combination was rich and creamy. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was nice.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/3/2014I took my girlfriend out for a date there. Not a bad place. A little over priced for portion sizes. I got a salmon plans and she got a dinner plate. Both dishes were good but portion size was small for two $25 plates. It was a very nice place and they treated us very wellSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great anniversary dinnerOAplannerDined on 6/28/2014Decided to go to J's for our anniversary, and we were very lucky to have nice weather to dine outside. Our server was great and the food superb. We will definitely go back on other special occasions or dining with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/15/2014We have gone to J's Steakhouse in Fremont, it was ok. We got there early and was able to be seated right away even though the rest of our party was not there yet. We enjoyed the Old Market atmosphere. We will come again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great steakgraygoosedinesDined on 6/7/2014Ryan served us and he was fantastic! He was well versed on the menu and we ordered based on his review of the food. The steak was great, presentation was exceptional, and my martini was prepared to my liking!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingDisappointedDined on 6/7/2014Lobster Mac and Cheese was GROSS. Husband's Flat Iron Steak was tough and very chewy. The hot bread was the best part of the mealSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/6/2014Service was good, but food was somewhat disappointing.
- Excellent all aroundbenrichardsonDined on 6/5/2014My wife and in-laws and I came to J's with our newborn and 2 year old. They were completely accomodating. The server was very attentive to our needs. All of the food we ordered came out right and was absolutely delicious. Meat was cooked as ordered. My Oscar style Filet was fantastic. Everyone else enjoyed their steaks too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!FoodieJoDined on 5/25/2014As usual, the food was well prepared, well timed, and delicious. And the staff has always been great. Very personable waiters.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointedrw1981Dined on 5/24/2014Not worth the money and terrible service. With so many great restaurants in Omaha Js needs to step it up.Special Features:
- Dinner before the TheaterKathyDined on 5/24/2014We had tickets to "Wicked" Saturday night, so wanted to have dinner downtown. J's on Jackson is a great choice. Great menu and wine list. One of the few places that has my favorite wine, Mollydooker Blue Eyed Boy. Everything we have ever ordered has been very tasty. We tried something different for an appetizer, the ahi tuna, and it was delicious. I ordered the apple bourbon pork filet which comes with mashed sweet potatoes. The pork is flavorful and tender and I'm a huge fan of sweet potatoes. My husband had the duck breast and thigh confit, which was also very good. The braised beets are a great addition to the duck. Fun place for dinner, and if you are able to sit outside, great people watching as it is right on the corner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 57 reviews are from the J's on Jackson reviews archive.
- quietdineDined on 5/17/2014Great meal. It was too noisy for a relaxing conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pricey with so-so foodJsbornDined on 5/16/2014My parents and I were walking around Old Market and happily booked an available time slot ~10 minutes before the reservation time (via the OpenTable app). On arrival, the host said with some annoyance "I'm not sure why OpenTable let you book" and that he would try to get a table. He was able to, so why say anything? We didn't feel welcome. The service was good - waiter friendly, patient, & accurate - however he cleared plates while some of us were still eating. Good restaurants typically wait until everyone has finished so no one feels rushed. The house wines beat expectations, but the food was disappointing, especially for the price. The onion rings were really poor and our ribeye steaks were tough. At this point, I can't recommend J's.Special Features:
- J gets an APaulDined on 5/14/2014On this visit, we had the 14 oz prime rib "special." The beef was exceptional in every way. The vegetable mix was crunchy and a far cry from the usually limp, overcooked and tasteless combinations served elsewhere. This medley was freshly cut and prepared and stood out. The only disappointment was the dryness of the potato dish on which the prime rib was served. It was unremarkable. Service was attentive without being overbearing. We liked the experience and will be back again.Special Features:
- Not for brunch buffetOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/11/2014I recently went to J's on Jackson for Mother's Day. We were not aware that there was only the brunch buffet option. The food was very good, but I don't feel like anyone at our table ate $25 worth of food. It would have been nice to have other options too. I saw other tables get up and leave for the same reason. We will go back primarily because J's has a dog friendly patio, which is hard to come by.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really nice buffetDupaDined on 5/11/2014We were there for mother's day, so the menu was a buffet. The food was very good by buffet standards. We really liked the ambiance, it's in the old market area so it's a converted older building. We really like the brick and wood combination in the place. We sat in the bar area which is well it, and we really liked where we sat. The service was excellent. We plan to go back and have a 'regular' meal there, we think the full menu will be outstanding. We definitely plan to come back to this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent food, lacking servicetable4twoDined on 5/10/2014Our food was amazing. The steaks were tender and cooked to perfection. The lavosh is a must have. Everyone had a different dish off of the menu and no one had anything bad to say about their meals. The service was lacking from the beginning but through the meal it continually got worse. It took three times of the waiter coming over for us to be able to place an appetizer order. After we received our food he never come back to take appetizer plates or to ask how our meals were cooked. He never offered us desert. But the food was awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- enjoyed every biteJRL4Dined on 5/2/2014good meal ...everything was delicious. would definitely go here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not impressedLindsDined on 5/2/2014The food was okay at best. I tasted my friends entrees in addition to mine and was not impressed. For the price, I was disappointed. The blue cheese chips were delicious. That was my only enjoyment in addition to the wine. Our service was pretty good.Special Features:
- Outstanding foodbusterDined on 5/1/2014J's was once again a great spot to bring guests! Steaks and seafood were wonderful with very nice extras for all to enjoy. Our friends from out of the country were very pleased with the diverse menu besides the impressive steaks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun evening at J's on JacksonOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/29/2014We continue to enjoy dinner with friends at J's....a great place for a special occasion or just a casual get together. The Cedar Plank Salmon and Beef Tournedos were a big hit, the chicken Oscar not so much. The crab was stringy and not very favorable, but everything else delicious. Unfortunately, didn't have room for desert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- first time at j'ssteaklover1Dined on 4/19/2014Had an excellent time at J's on Jackson! The service was great, the food was excellent. Would definitely visit again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- J'sJannymacDined on 4/12/2014This is probably the fourth or fifth time I have been to this restaurant and it is consistently very good in its food and presentation. We happened to be there with a group, not realizing it was also local High School prom night, however, the service was very good.Special Features:
- SlippingToddVIPDined on 4/2/2014We've been here 3 times. The first two times were very good. This visit was not so hot. Our server might've been working his first night or so it seemed. The food was not as good as before. The crowd was very thin and we hope it was just an off night as we like J's and hope they get back to what they were earlier.
- J's scoresPaulDined on 3/18/2014A very busy evening because of an office party in the bar almost made us rethink our choice. Within a few minutes, though, the crowd dispersed to a private area and the noise level was reasonable thereafter. The server suggested an appetizer of fried risotto with a filling of cheese in a light sauce. It was excellent. My guest's rib eye was perfectly done and the accompanying asparagus was cooked to perfection, not overdone nor tough. The plank salmon was flaky and flavorful. In all, the experience was memorable. We'll be back again and highly recommend J's for a night out in Omaha's Old Market.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch at J'sguestVIPDined on 3/15/2014We came here for lunch on a Saturday, and I had a delicious turkey burger with havarti and a cranberry glaze. It was so large that I took half of it home! The sweet potato fries were seasoned well, and just the right temperature when our server brought them out. My only complaint is that I wish we could have sat closer to the window overlooking the market, as it was a beautiful late winter day. (we were seated near the restroom; come to think of it, the first time we visited this restaurant we also received less than optimal seating, about 10 feet from the drafty front door on a cold night. Hopefully better luck next time in this regard).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noise level during brunch-betweenNancyDined on 3/14/2014Noise level during brunch-between 1:00 and 2:00 pm-was very low; food and service were very good. Seafood Parppadelle was delicious, but not very filling. It was served with a sherry sauce but they did not have a Sherry wine to accompany the mealSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, good serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/8/2014I was expecting a "fancier" restaurant, based on the menu. This is a bar and grill atmosphere with fancy food. The food was good, not amazing. I would eat here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great first experienceLizzyDined on 3/2/2014Food and service @ J's was wonderful and great variety of options. Our waiter so so responsive and pleasant ..can't wait to go back. Loved the lobster Mac and cheese .......and the Italian bread was so fresh and warm.Special Features: